Question regarding UBR and URB

Talk about NBA 2K14 here.

Question regarding UBR and URB

Postby Akumetsu on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:14 am

I would just like to ask the difference between URB and UBR before I download them. Like pros and cons of the two or a side by side comparison. Basically which areas the other outdo the other and their difference. Kind of like a professional review of both mods. (Please don't flame me for asking. Just really curious and would like to hear the thoughts of those who tried both mods.) :)
Akumetsu
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 4:04 pm

Re: Question regarding UBR and URB

Postby bigh0rt on Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:58 pm

They're both excellent mods run by teams of incredibly talented and dedicated NLSC members. I'd give URB a shot right now, as the head honcho of the UBR has been absent from the NLSC since August or so, and URB is currently receiving regular updates and support; however you really can't go wrong with either. They're truly amazing mods.
Image
User avatar
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 8958
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:06 pm
Location: New York

Re: Question regarding UBR and URB

Postby Akumetsu on Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:05 pm

Thank you. Also, can you recommend some of the best globa ls for 2k14?
Akumetsu
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 4:04 pm

Re: Question regarding UBR and URB

Postby MadbaLL on Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:32 pm

Akumetsu wrote:Thank you. Also, can you recommend some of the best globa ls for 2k14?


default one, because all other mess up retro accessories in retro rosters.
User avatar
MadbaLL
 
Posts: 2860
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:50 am
Location: SFRJ

Re: Question regarding UBR and URB

Postby WithAuthority on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:34 am

Isn't there a way to fix the accessories though?
Collector & Trader of vintage NBA games, DVD, and memorabilia
User avatar
WithAuthority
ABL Commish
 
Posts: 2137
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:43 am

Re: Question regarding UBR and URB

Postby MadbaLL on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:14 pm

xoamberxo222 wrote:Isn't there a way to fix the accessories though?


best solution is making the global without accessories edits. at least without elbow pads edits. just to leave them default 2k.

we must ask @dee4three again, he said he would make it, but no word from him lately. you should also ask him amber ;)

for me the besto global is latest lagoa's one (6.1), but he messes up also some current and retro accessories. we could use it as a base, just to remove accessories edits he made.
User avatar
MadbaLL
 
Posts: 2860
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:50 am
Location: SFRJ

Re: Question regarding UBR and URB

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:19 am

Akumetsu wrote:Thank you. Also, can you recommend some of the best globa ls for 2k14?


I think the best global for the UBR is the one I posted on the Ultimate Base Roster thread (posted yesterday with screenshots) its Lagoa 6.1 with default body and default accessories. It gives you amazing sweat without messing up the skin tones.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 7196
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: Question regarding UBR and URB

Postby Alimango on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:40 pm

UBR's download page aint available anymore... :(
Alimango
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:02 pm

Re: Question regarding UBR and URB

Postby ijones33 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:40 am

My experience is from watching the CPU play 10 games for each team in the 90-91 season in UBR....and I just downloaded URB and observed only a few games so far, along with checking out a majority of the players from that season in both mods. They both have a couple flaws, although UBR is a bit more refined overall at this point.

Graphically, they are both beautiful, the player faces are amazing. The jerseys are amazing, although UBR has the bulls playing in hot pink. Not sure if this is different in URB or not. Some of the logos that come up for a team are off in URB, like the clippers logo is on a team that isn't the clippers, and theres even a logo on one of the teams i don't even recognize. Hopefully those jerseys are still correct once you enter a game though. UBR has two versions of many of the seasons, one roster that corresponds with the beginning of the season, and one that corresponds with after the trade deadline. UBR is consistent with the players being assigned to the right teams. URB has all the major players correct and most of the minor players, but some of the scrubs are missing or somewhere they don't belong. IE i noticed that Chris Munk, a scrub that played in the first handful of games for the Utah Jazz that season isnt with the jazz or the free agents. URB has premade Assoc and Season files for each year, but when i opened the 1991 season i was like why are these players assigned to these teams?

As far as gameplay, it doesn't take too much observation to realize that the URB mod is far superior. If you were to watch a game of UBR, the first thing you would notice is that these teams are bombing 3s like 40% of the time. The individual player's 3point tendencies are cranked up way too high, and this is further compounded by the teams waiting until the shot clock is running down to take 75% of their shots, which by that point the ball is still in three point land and whoever has it often just throws up a buzzer beater from beyond the arc. Another issue with the UBR rosters is that there are too many 80s and high 70s OVR players, so there's not as big of a difference between your stars and the rest of your starters. This makes the games kind of exciting (there's rarely more than a ten point difference in any final score) but isnt realistic, being that only around 1 out of 10 games in that NBA season ended inside that point differential. It also lessens the impact of your star players. In many instances, you could remove a team's star player from the lineup and they might lose a couple more games than they would have with him, but overall, they'll be just fine, which isnt realistic.

The URB mod definitely addresses that, actually on the low side. Sometimes you'll see starters in the mid 60s OVR. But the gameplay is noticeably better. But it also has some smaller faults. Such as, in the 2 games i watched, fouling hardly ever happened. I don't think any team took more than 12 or 13 foul shots, and even some of the starters finished the entire game with 0 fouls, which is unheard of. The players drove into the paint plenty (as opossed to almost never for UBR) so they're getting to high traffic situations, and the draw foul/commit foul/hard foul tendencies are good. The guy took the same approach to roster building i did and derived the draw foul tendency from FTAper36*10 and the commit/hard foul tendency from PFper36*10. The only thing I can think is that there are obviously not enough post shots going on and too many mid range jumpers. For instance, one of the games i watched involved the utah jazz, and while john stockton had one of the better scoring days of his career with 28 points, karl malone had only 11 points even though he was guarded by the mediocre terry catledge most of the game. If you look inside his tendencies, you will see that he is def getting enough touches, but his shot tendency is a paltry 70, which contributes to the issue, but also he has play the post turned up to 100 but only a 25 in post shots...so he's constantly going to the post, and the ball gets to him plenty, but he doesn't want to take the shot. And his close shooting attribute is only mediocre so he misses a good bit of the ones he does take. To add to it, his rebounding is pretty sub-par so he didn't bring down an offensive board the entire game, which could have netted him a few more easy points. If you open up Charles Barkley, you see that he basically only wants to take medium shots, even though NBA.com has shooting splits starting at 95/96 season and you can see that he only took around 50 shots from midrange the whole season.

But if you're looking for the more accurate gameplay without doing any tweaks, use URB. If you're worried about those missing scrubs and misguided logos, then use UBR.
ijones33
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:11 am

Re: Question regarding UBR and URB

Postby MadbaLL on Fri May 04, 2018 6:50 am

no wrong/missing logos on URB, something is wrong on your end.
User avatar
MadbaLL
 
Posts: 2860
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:50 am
Location: SFRJ

Re: Question regarding UBR and URB

Postby WithAuthority on Fri May 04, 2018 10:19 am

ijones33 wrote:My experience is from watching the CPU play 10 games for each team in the 90-91 season in UBR....and I just downloaded URB and observed only a few games so far, along with checking out a majority of the players from that season in both mods. They both have a couple flaws, although UBR is a bit more refined overall at this point.

Graphically, they are both beautiful, the player faces are amazing. The jerseys are amazing, although UBR has the bulls playing in hot pink. Not sure if this is different in URB or not. Some of the logos that come up for a team are off in URB, like the clippers logo is on a team that isn't the clippers, and theres even a logo on one of the teams i don't even recognize. Hopefully those jerseys are still correct once you enter a game though. UBR has two versions of many of the seasons, one roster that corresponds with the beginning of the season, and one that corresponds with after the trade deadline. UBR is consistent with the players being assigned to the right teams. URB has all the major players correct and most of the minor players, but some of the scrubs are missing or somewhere they don't belong. IE i noticed that Chris Munk, a scrub that played in the first handful of games for the Utah Jazz that season isnt with the jazz or the free agents. URB has premade Assoc and Season files for each year, but when i opened the 1991 season i was like why are these players assigned to these teams?

As far as gameplay, it doesn't take too much observation to realize that the URB mod is far superior. If you were to watch a game of UBR, the first thing you would notice is that these teams are bombing 3s like 40% of the time. The individual player's 3point tendencies are cranked up way too high, and this is further compounded by the teams waiting until the shot clock is running down to take 75% of their shots, which by that point the ball is still in three point land and whoever has it often just throws up a buzzer beater from beyond the arc. Another issue with the UBR rosters is that there are too many 80s and high 70s OVR players, so there's not as big of a difference between your stars and the rest of your starters. This makes the games kind of exciting (there's rarely more than a ten point difference in any final score) but isnt realistic, being that only around 1 out of 10 games in that NBA season ended inside that point differential. It also lessens the impact of your star players. In many instances, you could remove a team's star player from the lineup and they might lose a couple more games than they would have with him, but overall, they'll be just fine, which isnt realistic.

The URB mod definitely addresses that, actually on the low side. Sometimes you'll see starters in the mid 60s OVR. But the gameplay is noticeably better. But it also has some smaller faults. Such as, in the 2 games i watched, fouling hardly ever happened. I don't think any team took more than 12 or 13 foul shots, and even some of the starters finished the entire game with 0 fouls, which is unheard of. The players drove into the paint plenty (as opossed to almost never for UBR) so they're getting to high traffic situations, and the draw foul/commit foul/hard foul tendencies are good. The guy took the same approach to roster building i did and derived the draw foul tendency from FTAper36*10 and the commit/hard foul tendency from PFper36*10. The only thing I can think is that there are obviously not enough post shots going on and too many mid range jumpers. For instance, one of the games i watched involved the utah jazz, and while john stockton had one of the better scoring days of his career with 28 points, karl malone had only 11 points even though he was guarded by the mediocre terry catledge most of the game. If you look inside his tendencies, you will see that he is def getting enough touches, but his shot tendency is a paltry 70, which contributes to the issue, but also he has play the post turned up to 100 but only a 25 in post shots...so he's constantly going to the post, and the ball gets to him plenty, but he doesn't want to take the shot. And his close shooting attribute is only mediocre so he misses a good bit of the ones he does take. To add to it, his rebounding is pretty sub-par so he didn't bring down an offensive board the entire game, which could have netted him a few more easy points. If you open up Charles Barkley, you see that he basically only wants to take medium shots, even though NBA.com has shooting splits starting at 95/96 season and you can see that he only took around 50 shots from midrange the whole season.

But if you're looking for the more accurate gameplay without doing any tweaks, use URB. If you're worried about those missing scrubs and misguided logos, then use UBR.



In short, URB is basically perfect

Except for Team Shoe Color Issues (Gotta get rid of those darn RAINBOW shoes!)
Collector & Trader of vintage NBA games, DVD, and memorabilia
User avatar
WithAuthority
ABL Commish
 
Posts: 2137
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:43 am

Re: Question regarding UBR and URB

Postby RetroFuture on Wed May 16, 2018 8:31 am

URB is not perfect. The major issue I see is on the gameplay: the fact that the tendencies, particularly the ones that are obviated like the pull-up tendency, make all players drive the lane and attack the basket like crazy. I know this is hardcoded both on 2k13 and 2k14, but those tweaks made by the mod on all players makes the gameplay much more run and gun than it is at default value.

Overall URB is the better mod (although UBR is way ahead on some departments like year specific faces, original player and team ID's with career stats, no conflicting uniform ID's that cause the white patch bug on shorts). So If you have time to tweak the tendencies and ratings for players alongside with a custom slider set, you can balance out the gameplay issues.
User avatar
RetroFuture
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:35 am

Re: Question regarding UBR and URB

Postby The Human Highlight Film on Thu May 17, 2018 1:27 am

Youre right, I don't like the gameplay of URB neither and at the end of the day both of these mods are 85% the work of others modders and the authors just put together things and organize them and sometimes slightly improve them.
User avatar
The Human Highlight Film
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:12 am

Re: Question regarding UBR and URB

Postby Dee4Three on Wed May 23, 2018 1:37 am

The Human Highlight Film wrote:Youre right, I don't like the gameplay of URB neither and at the end of the day both of these mods are 85% the work of others modders and the authors just put together things and organize them and sometimes slightly improve them.


The putting everything together is still a TON of work, even with REDMC. It's a ton of data input, and the authors make hard decisions in regards to these mods. In regards to URB, Sko has done some amazing global art that really enhances the games appearance, he also does courts/enhances court textures. I wouldn't discount anything that they do.

In regards to the two mods, here is the way I look at it:

UBR may have "More year specific" faces, but many of them are poor choices. Hawk tried to get a ton of work from the community represented in the mod, which in turn put some not so great faces in the game. For example, look at the 07-08 Celtics, Rondo is bugging out of his mind and his headband doesn't fit, Ray Allen doesn't look like Ray Allen, Pierce doesn't look right either. I appreciate his intentions, but let's not act like all the face choices were gold or accurate. I actually much prefer the URB approach in regards to faces, as they look more like the players in general. Again, this isn't knocking Hawks UBR, or his approach because I think it ropes more of the community in, but just saying "Year specific faces" doesn't exactly paint the whole picture, many of those faces are just not good.

The URB also has more accurate faces for some of the end of the bench guys, and I believe Monzki was a big part of the reason for that. I remember him going nuts for awhile creating faces (Sko kept posting them), and most of them were faces of guys that were not starters. It really adds to the presentation when you have even the end of the bench guys looking accurate. The URB also has more realistic simulated stats, and better on court AI gameplay. This is because of SLIMMS amazing work, which he is well known for now in the community. Hawk tailored his roster more around the overall rating, where SLIMM tailored his attributes/tendencies on more of a per category, realistic basis. My brother watches CPU vs CPU sometimes (Falls asleep to it), and we have watched a steady does of both mods, and the URB plays more realistically.

With that being said, things like audio id's the URB does better, as I havn't found an incorrect one on any of the rosters. But the URB has the UBR in regards to signature animations. SO MANY players in the UBR have jump shot 1, and release 1. Go through the teams and you will see this. I don't encounter it as often in the URB. Obviously the UBR has the teams prior to 1984, but the biggest problem with those are the lack of faces for the teams, not only are a lot of the players missing accurate cyberfaces, but many are very recognizable players like Larry Johnson, Mark Jackson, etc. And they are used over and over again. I believe this has to do with just the size of the project and the time allotted, and the lack of cyberface makers that wanted to do players for those years. I think one of the reasons overall that the URB is more complete, is because they were able to focus on 1984 to present, as opposed to the late 40's to present.

This is in no way knocking the UBR, I love it and still have it installed. It will always hold a special place in my heart. I was also a part of the team for some time contributing CF edits and eventmusic. However, I am just talking reality as a comparison. The URB also seems to have less bugs in regards to crashing. I have never had a crash using URB, but I encounter crashing quite often with the UBR when doing various tasks in game (Such as, if I view a certain player, or if I put two teams on the floor and one has a GID conflict). Overall I would say that the URB is the more stable mod. But, if you want more cyberface variety (Good or bad), want more seasons (More content in general), the UBR might be for you.

Either way, congrats to the UBR and URB creators and contributors on two amazing mods. I personally like both!
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 7196
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: Question regarding UBR and URB

Postby Danimal on Thu May 24, 2018 8:15 am

RetroFuture wrote:URB is not perfect. The major issue I see is on the gameplay: the fact that the tendencies, particularly the ones that are obviated like the pull-up tendency, make all players drive the lane and attack the basket like crazy. I know this is hardcoded both on 2k13 and 2k14, but those tweaks made by the mod on all players makes the gameplay much more run and gun than it is at default value.

Overall URB is the better mod (although UBR is way ahead on some departments like year specific faces, original player and team ID's with career stats, no conflicting uniform ID's that cause the white patch bug on shorts). So If you have time to tweak the tendencies and ratings for players alongside with a custom slider set, you can balance out the gameplay issues.


This. Slimm's approach is great if you want to simulate an association to reflect realistic stats, but it's not that great during gameplay.
Danimal
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 2:01 am


Return to NBA 2K14

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests