Monday Tip-Off: Video Game Teams

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: Monday Tip-Off: How Online Modes Are Killing Retro Gaming

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:27 pm

It's kind of an old school mentality I guess, and probably won't affect a lot of gamers who are more interested in playing online with the latest title anyway. You do see Tweets from people who wish they still had full functionality in NBA 2K15 or NBA 2K16, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: We're Part of The Problem

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:56 pm

Monday Tip-Off: We're Part of The Problem

I try my best not to be repetitive in the topics I choose for my weekly features. Unless I'm producing a series centred on a certain theme or topic, I try to space out similar features and even alternate between games wherever possible. I also want to be as fair-handed as possible, and not resort to bashing for the sake of outrage clicks. With that being said however, although I've discussed issues with online modes and play in the last couple of Monday Tip-Off articles, recent events in NBA 2K19 have made it impossible not to touch on them once again this week.

Where to begin? An influx of new gamers from a recent sale has been blamed for persistent problems in MyTEAM's Auction House, an issue that remains unresolved. The appearance of an unskippable ad has naturally raised the ire of many gamers, both for its inconvenience and inappropriateness in an E-rated game. This is all on top of the continued dissatisfaction with the game's heavy focus upon microtransactions and gambling-like mechanics. Those issues all deserve scorn, but as I prepared to talk about them and criticise NBA 2K's handling of the situation once again, a nagging thought came to mind: like it or not, we're part of the problem.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Culture Games on Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:36 am

Speak for yourself im not part of no problem! :lol:
Culture Games
ABL Commish

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:58 am

Too many are. Though, that's not to absolve companies of what they're doing.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Clickbait & You! - A Public Service Announcement

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:25 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Clickbait & You! - A Public Service Announcement

July is upon us, which means it (hopefully) won't be too much longer before we start getting our first information about NBA Live 20 and NBA 2K20. Unfortunately, a lot of content creators are prone to taking advantage of basketball gamers eager for news, and engage in clickbait during the preview season. We do our best to be accurate here at the NLSC, and as a gaming community, we must do all we can to avoid spreading rumours and misinformation. It's a perpetual problem, so I've put together what I hope will be a timeless PSA: Clickbait & You! Watch it below or here over on YouTube.

phpBB [video]

https://youtu.be/Gy8TnUKjv9w
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: A MyCAREER Season to Remember

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:15 pm

Monday Tip-Off: A MyCAREER Season to Remember

Last week, I completed my second MyCAREER season in NBA 2K19. It's the first time that I've played through two whole seasons in MyCAREER, as I usually find myself losing interest or running out of time before the next game is released. This year however, I felt motivated to play a second campaign. Even though I'd vowed to move on from career modes this year, I did get stuck into MyCAREER when our NLSC 2K Pro-Am squad decided to give online play another try in NBA 2K19. Even when we called it quits, I found that I was hooked on the NBA side of things.

After making it to 90 Overall and winning the championship in my rookie campaign, I decided that I wanted to make my sophomore season one to remember. Although I'd normally consider myself a sim gamer, the current approach to MyCAREER doesn't favour a realistic style of play. As such, I resolved to put up ridiculous numbers, aim for as many records as possible, and in short, utterly destroy the league. With Year 2 now in the books, I can confidently say that it's a case of mission accomplished! My numbers were crazy from start to finish, and having completed another MyCAREER season, I'm feeling like I can move on from the mode, in NBA 2K19 and beyond.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Should NBA Live Be More Like NBA 2K?

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:02 am

Monday Tip-Off: Should NBA Live Be More Like NBA 2K?

As NBA Live continues to rebuild and re-establish itself in the face of NBA 2K's dominance, there is a debate among basketball gamers as to the best direction for the game. There are gamers who would prefer that NBA Live remains distinctly different to NBA 2K in focus, style, and approach, and generally reject any suggestions that Live should borrow ideas from 2K. Conversely, as noted here on Reddit, there are others who would prefer that NBA Live essentially copy NBA 2K, but for a few details here and there (such as avoiding 2K's approach to microtransactions).

Naturally, between those two extremes are more nuanced suggestions about NBA Live doing its own thing, while also borrowing some of NBA 2K's best ideas (and in some cases, putting its own spin on them). To that end, of course, there's still debate as to which ideas should be borrowed, how closely NBA Live should mimic what NBA 2K is doing, and to what extent any 2K concepts should be reworked. It leaves us with the question of whether or not NBA Live should be more like NBA 2K, or as the thread over on Reddit put it, "NBA 2K re-skinned" rather than NBA Live. For me, the answer is yes...and no.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Balancing Positivity & Negativity

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:09 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Balancing Positivity & Negativity

There's a reason that I'm still running the NLSC going on eighteen years this August. There's a reason I decided that I would take the risk on paying for our own hosting after our previous host discontinued their services, and it looked like we might have to shut down after twenty years online. Basketball video games are still a hobby that I enjoy, and enjoy to the extent that I want to create content as part of a community that I discovered way back in 1997. The NLSC was one of my favourite sites before I took over running it, and since that time, it's become a gratifying creative outlet for me.

I've enjoyed establishing original content beyond mods and basketball gaming news: the NLSC Podcast, The Friday Five, Wayback Wednesday, and this feature, Monday Tip-Off. I like covering a variety of topics in these features, from advice and stories about what I'm playing, to constructive articles about improving the games and what I hope is interesting trivia. I'm always aiming for variety in the games that I talk about, but I'm not just balancing coverage between NBA Live, NBA 2K, and other titles. As I discuss all manner of topics regarding basketball video games, I'm trying my best to maintain a healthy balance between positivity and negativity in my features.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Why We Won't Get Another Retro Mode

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:02 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Why We Won't Get Another Retro Mode

While I don't want to downplay the quality of NBA 2K11, I believe one of the reasons it's still held in such high regard is that it was a landmark release for the series. Not only was it the first NBA 2K game to top five million copies sold - a feat helped in part by the cancellation of NBA Elite 11 - but it brought us actual retro teams out of the box for the first time. The NBA Live series experienced a similar phenomenon with NBA Live 2000. It introduced Legends, and was similarly noted as still being the best game in the series when later releases had clearly improved on it in many ways.

No matter where you rank NBA Live 2000 and NBA 2K11 in their respective series or among basketball games overall, both were tremendous releases that delivered big surprises in terms of their retro content. The Jordan Challenge was a great mode that would've been a tremendous hook even if NBA 2K11 hadn't been unopposed. NBA's Greatest in NBA 2K12 was a great follow-up, and the roster of retro teams has only expanded since then. Outside of Historical Domination in MyTEAM however, we haven't had a challenge mode that makes use of the retro teams since then. Sadly, it seems highly unlikely that we'll get another retro mode anytime soon, if ever again.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: NBA 2K Online Is In Terrible Shape

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:34 pm

Monday Tip-Off: NBA 2K Online Is In Terrible Shape

Hey, remember when I wrote about the desire to balance positivity and negativity in my articles? I mentioned that I wanted to avoid writing an article about online play in NBA 2K that ended up being more of a rant than constructive criticism, cathartic as it may be. Well, I'm going to go ahead and vent a little. I was originally going to leave it at my Friday Five detailing my experiences with the Jordan Rec Center, but I need to expand upon that. As someone who was traditionally an offline gamer who has since been drawn into online in recent years, I'm now remembering why I avoided it.

When the NBA 2K League was announced, I noted the slight possibility that it would have some tangible benefit for the rest of us. Specifically, I suggested that in the best case scenario, it would encourage 2K to improve their servers and address some of the long-standing issues with online gameplay, in order to make the "home version" of the NBA 2K League more like the real thing. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case. NBA 2K online has strayed further and further away from sim basketball, and the servers continue to be extremely unreliable. Combine this steady decline with a toxic part of the community, and honestly, I don't see the situation getting any better.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: An Open Letter from An Old Head

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:26 pm

Monday Tip-Off: An Open Letter from An Old Head

Hey there, younger fans of basketball and basketball gaming! Do people still say hey for hello? I'm trying to avoid a "How do you do, fellow kids?" type of scenario here. Because let's face it, there is a generational gap between some of us, and I'd rather not condescend to you, or look foolish with some ill-fitting slang. I'll just stick with hey. Anyway, I'm Andrew, and to a lot of people who are into basketball and basketball video games, I would definitely qualify as an old head. At least, that's the term I'm seeing used in a lot of online conversations to describe someone like me.

I'll admit that at the age of 34, I still feel too young to be classified as an old head. It's probably a fitting term, though. My all-time favourite band and television show are both only slightly younger than I am. My nostalgia is rooted in entertainment and events from well over a decade ago, and my opinions on sports, movies, television, and gaming no doubt reflect that. I'm at that odd stage where I still feel a bit rebellious towards the generations older than me, while at the same time starting to feel like a grumpy old man. Before I completely devolve into yelling at clouds however, I'd like to try bridging the gap between an old head like me and the younger generation.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Stealing Is Such an Ugly Word

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:29 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Stealing Is Such an Ugly Word

Before the NBA 2K20 preview season tipped off, there was understandably a certain amount of scepticism about this year's release. As a new generation of consoles looms on the horizon, many of us had expected it to be a throwaway year for NBA 2K; just a roster update and a few token bells and whistles ahead of a big jump next year. Based on what we've seen so far, however, that doesn't appear to be the case. While most of us are reserving final judgement until we get our hands on the game, there has been a lot of good news so far in the preview season.

Of course, it hasn't escaped notice that some of the features outlined in the previews so far bear a similarity to elements of NBA Live, past and present. Responses have varied somewhat, but there is a very vocal contingent of NBA Live fans that seem to be perturbed by the situation. Perhaps it's because EA's series is finally picking up some steam and support after years of being a punchline under 2K's dominance, but there's an eagerness to point out features and mechanics that were in NBA Live first, and accuse NBA 2K of stealing them. Don't get me wrong; it's nice to see passionate support for NBA Live, but I just can't join in the outrage.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: 18 Years Running the NLSC

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:34 pm

Monday Tip-Off: 18 Years Running the NLSC

Today, I'm not just tipping off a new week here at the NLSC, but the start of another year of my tenure as the site's webmaster, administrator, and primary content creator. It doesn't seem that long ago that I was an excited young basketball gamer of almost 17, accepting the offer to take over the biggest and best NBA Live fansite. That was August 26th 2001 however, which means it was quite some time ago: 18 years, to be precise. To say that basketball video games have come a long way, and that the NBA itself has changed a lot during that time, would be an understatement.

I always get reflective around the time of my NLSC anniversary. Maybe that's part of being a so-called old head, or maybe I'm just the sentimental type. This year feels like a particularly big milestone as at this point, I've been running the NLSC longer than I haven't; literally more than half my life! I've mentioned it in previous reflections, but I do sometimes wonder how long I'll end up running the site for. Presumably until it's no longer an enjoyable creative outlet for me, and honestly, that time hasn't come yet. I still plan on being around and keeping the NLSC going for a while yet, especially when some of its most rewarding experiences have come this past decade.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:50 pm

18 years, it's a long time. Games have changed so much, so the community and of course you.
It's hard to keep this level of passion and commitment.
So congrats and respect (Y)
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:56 pm

Thanks, appreciate it. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: The Final Days of Last Year's Games

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:44 pm

Monday Tip-Off: The Final Days of Last Year's Games

Cue "The Final Countdown" by Europe, as we're just days away from the release of NBA 2K20! As for NBA Live 20...well, we're still waiting to find out what's going to happen with EA Sports' long-running series. In any event, the impending release of NBA 2K20 means that we're days away from NBA 2K19 and NBA Live 19 officially becoming last year's games. That is to say, they'll no longer be the most up to date sim-oriented NBA titles, and the community's interest will shift to the game set in the forthcoming 2020 season.

It's a strange period of limbo in the annual basketball gaming cycle. If you're done with last year's games, you'll be itching to get your hands on the new release. If you still have unfinished business, you'll likely be furiously playing them to achieve some semblance of closure before moving on to this year's title. After all, it's not easy to go back and pick up where you left off when you're hooked on a new game that will itself be outmoded a year from now. With that in mind, as we find ourselves in the final days before NBA 2K20 officially succeeds NBA 2K19 and NBA Live 19, I'm taking a moment to reflect on the past year of basketball gaming, and to look ahead.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Initial NBA 2K20 Impressions

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:14 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Initial NBA 2K20 Impressions

If you're an avid basketball gamer, then you know that NBA 2K20 was released last week, and have probably been playing it over the weekend. That's what I spent quite a few hours doing, on both PC and PlayStation 4. I must admit that while I did remain optimistic throughout the preview season, I wasn't all that hyped for NBA 2K20. It may be that I'm getting old and have gone through too many preview seasons and launches, but for all the hoopla on social media about 2K Day, I wasn't that pumped. Looking forward to checking out the new game, sure, but as I said, not overly hyped.

With this seemingly being the last release before a new generation launches, I'd say that my expectations were quite low. I expected some news bells and whistles, and I liked a few of the things I read during the preview season, but I've grown a tad cynical when it comes to developer blogs. As such, I wasn't expecting a huge jump from NBA 2K19. After a weekend with NBA 2K20, my impressions are that it was wise to set the bar at that level. I'd like to spend more time with the game and see what happens as far as any early updates before I deliver a full review, but to tip this week off, I will share my impressions of NBA 2K20 so far.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: When The Idea Is More Fun

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:56 pm

Monday Tip-Off: When The Idea Is More Fun

As I've mentioned before, this year I'm intending to move away from MyCAREER and return to my roots as a franchise gamer. A generation ago, I was unsatisfied with NBA Live's Dynasty mode as it lagged behind NBA 2K's offering, an issue that I still have with EA's game. I ended up missing out on the quality franchise experience that Association provided as by the time I got into the NBA 2K series, career modes felt fresher, and vital for online team play. I'm ready to return to franchise gaming though, and with the depth of MyLEAGUE, my previous complaints shouldn't be an issue.

However, there's a hurdle beyond the depth and quality of a franchise mode: your idea for your game, the scenario you want to create for yourself. If you're invested in the team you've chosen and the situation you find yourself in, you'll be hooked on your franchise game. Conversely, if the appeal of the scenario quickly wears off, you'll be far more likely to abandon your franchise within the first five to ten games. On the surface, the solution is to carefully consider all aspects of your franchise game as you set it up, and avoid an unappealing scenario. Unfortunately, all that foresight goes out the window when a seemingly fun idea turns out to be less appealing than expected.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: The Problem with MyREP

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:23 pm

Monday Tip-Off: The Problem with MyREP

I have to say that it's been refreshing to shift my focus away from MyCAREER in NBA 2K20. I've been enjoying MyTEAM, and once we get closer to the start of the season and receive updated rosters, I'm ready to get stuck into MyLEAGUE as well. With that being said, I have spent a little time in MyCAREER so far. In the interest of providing a comprehensive review, as well as satisfying my own interest, I wanted to check it out. If nothing else, it's a means of farming some extra VC which I can then spend on MyTEAM packs, rather than shell out real money on loot box mechanics.

A noteworthy change in MyCAREER this year is the revamping of the rewards. The Road to 99 has more or less been done away with, replaced by the concept of MyREP. Instead of increasing your Overall Rating to unlock new content and bonuses, it's all about increasing your rep through Playground and Pro-Am games. While the idea has merit, and I had my own complaints about the Road to 99, I'm not sure that this is the right direction for MyCAREER. Indeed, it's thrust a few problematic design choices into focus, and unless some adjustments can be made in a patch, it'll be a misstep for MyCAREER and the new MyREP system.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Entering the Hall of Fame in MyCAREER

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:29 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Entering the Hall of Fame in MyCAREER

Back in May, I talked about my aim of making it into the Hall of Fame before I put MyCAREER aside; not just in NBA 2K19, but for the foreseeable future. I knew it would be a satisfying way to cap off years of being a MyCAREER gamer, and also provide some closure as I made the switch to MyLEAGUE and MyTEAM. I met the requirements for induction into the Hall of Fame as I concluded my second regular season, and it was a great feeling. However, with a new-look lineup and a chance at a threepeat, I didn't immediately retire in order to get the Hall of Fame cutscene.

I played a few games in the third year and did have some fun with them, but it was clear that I was done with the mode. I waited for a few weeks after NBA 2K20 came out, at which point I was certain that I didn't have any desire to continue playing my NBA 2K19 MyCAREER. Knowing that there wasn't any turning back, I hooked up my capture card, retired my player, and recorded the cutscene for posterity. I realise that many of you may have already watched that cutscene - either in your own games or on YouTube - but I wanted to share it with everyone today, as well as reflect on my journey to enshrinement in the virtual Springfield (and again, not that one).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: The In-Universe Value of VC (NBA 2K20 Edition)

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:15 pm

Monday Tip-Off: The In-Universe Value of VC (NBA 2K20 Edition)

Even though I've decided to move away from MyCAREER this year - a decision that I feel even more comfortable with having played a few games - my long tenure with the mode means that I still have some residual interest in what goes on with it. At the very least, I want MyCAREER, its connected modes, and The Neighborhood, all to be as good as they can be for the people who are interested in them. To that end, VC is still one of the most troubling issues: how much you earn, the prices of upgrades and cosmetic items, and the discrepancy between in-universe and real world value of VC.

The last couple of years, I've calculated the in-universe value of Virtual Currency in NBA 2K18 and NBA 2K19's Neighborhoods. Last year's "exchange rate" was simply ridiculous, as 1 VC was equivalent to at least $105 in-universe, based on a salary of 500 VC representing a dollar amount of $4.29 million per year (and thus $52,317 per game). The exchange rate wasn't consistent, as 1000 VC equated to an annual salary of $25.23 million ($307,682 per game), placing the value of 1 VC at around $308 in-universe. Needless to say, this made the in-universe price tags on clothing items truly insane. What's the situation like this year? Let's take a look and find out.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Hopping On The Banned Wagon

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:23 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Hopping On The Banned Wagon

Many years ago, we used to have a public "Banned List" in the NLSC Forum. It was started and maintained for a few reasons. First of all, it let people know that someone had been banned, pre-emptively answering questions as to where they had gone. The second reason was to emphasise the rules that had been broken, as we also listed the reason that the person had been banned. And, because we were all a bit younger and less mature then, the third reason was the humiliation factor involved. In other words, act up, and you go on the naughty list for everyone else to see.

Because of the third reason in particular, I was generally uneasy with the idea, and so we eventually put the kibosh on the Banned List. I also feel that if someone is acting up so badly that we feel compelled to show them the door, they shouldn't be glorified or given any further attention, and the list did offer some measure of notoriety. I still feel that way, which is why I don't like to talk about people who have been banned, even when they post inflammatory remarks about the site, me, or other NLSC staff. It's sometimes awfully tempting to respond though, even if it's only in general terms. To that end, I'd like to talk a little about those who hop aboard the banned wagon.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Revenge of the Nerfs

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:32 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Revenge of the Nerfs

By now, you've probably heard that a recent update for NBA 2K20 has nerfed the amount of VC for starting salaries and endorsements in MyCAREER. While the nerfs to salaries only apply to new games, several NBA 2K20 gamers have reported that the amount of VC they've already negotiated for endorsement deals has been retroactively reduced. On top of that, it's now far more difficult to negotiate with teams and brands, as there's very little wiggle room in the counteroffers that they will accept. In short, VC can no longer be earned as quickly as it could be at launch.

Nerfs to VC, Badge progression, and other aspects of NBA 2K games are nothing new. Changes like this are always going to be controversial and anger a portion of the userbase, but the main point of contention for most gamers is that we didn't receive any notice. The nerfs weren't listed among the laughably short list of patch notes for the most recent update, nor were they announced or explained via the game's official social media accounts. While this particular issue only affects MyCAREER, it's emblematic of a much bigger and recurring problem with NBA 2K, that being an overall lack of transparency, communication, and goodwill.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Why NBA 2K Needs Matchmaking

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:07 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Why NBA 2K Needs Matchmaking

When NBA Live 08 implemented Online Team Play post-release, we were seeing the future of online basketball gaming. Although subsequent NBA Live titles would build upon that first iteration of the concept, it's ultimately been NBA 2K that has taken the experience to new heights. The idea of creating your own player and joining up with other gamers to play multiplayer games where every player is user-controlled has become the most popular experience in NBA 2K. It's even led to the founding of a professional eSports league, run in conjunction with the NBA itself.

Given the popularity that online play now enjoys, it's both puzzling and disappointing that NBA 2K is lacking such a critical component of the experience: matchmaking. It's kind of implemented in that there's a rep system (albeit one that's problematic), position logic behind teaming up players in the Rec Center, and a rough ranking system in team Pro-Am. However, it's nowhere near as deep or effective as it needs to be, and in the case of The Playground, it's completely non-existent. Simply put, if NBA 2K is going to cater to its large paying audience and establish a respectable competitive scene, it needs to have proper matchmaking.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: 2K's Overlooked Gambling Mechanic

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:14 pm

Monday Tip-Off: 2K's Overlooked Gambling Mechanic

When rating and reviewing the last few NBA 2K games, a common sentiment is that the core gameplay delivers, the modes are deep and engaging, and there's a lot of fun to be had, but the recurrent revenue and gambling mechanics are off-putting. In other words, there are a lot great things about NBA 2K on this generation, but there's also a distinct lack of goodwill and an undeniably predatory business model. Notably, these complaints haven't yet hurt 2K's bottom line as sales and recurrent revenue are at an all-time high, though user scores and trust in the brand are considerably down.

There have been several articles, videos, and social media posts discussing the most problematic aspects of current gen NBA 2K. Progression in MyCAREER and a lack of matchmaking online has created a more forceful push towards spending money on VC in order to level up quicker. MyTEAM is arguably more controversial as its packs can be compared to loot boxes, which are widely considered gambling mechanics and thus inappropriate in games rated for minors. Both issues are concerning, but there's an even more brazen gambling mechanic present in NBA 2K, and for some reason, it never seems to get any attention despite its overt nature.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard