Monday Tip-Off: The Art of Minimalist Modding

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Wiki and other site related issues and content here. Site and community announcements are also posted in this section.

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Rest in Peace, Kobe Bryant

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:08 am

(Y)
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby KEEEN on Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:36 am

:evil: :evil: :evil: I fucking love January 2020 :evil: :evil: :evil:
David Stern now Kobe?!?! BRUV.

Huge sympathy for his grieving die hard fans, relatives, friends, and of course his family.

numbing.
KEEEN

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:16 pm

No doubt, a couple of very sad losses to begin the year/decade. He's perhaps not of great interest/renown to a lot of people in this community, particularly younger people, but we also lost Terry Jones of Monty Python fame last week.
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Are We Gaming Or Are We Modding?

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:34 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Are We Gaming Or Are We Modding?

One of the more disappointing trends in our community in recent years is the drop-off in discussion about the games we play. We certainly do talk about them, but there's much less discussion about sliders, strategies, positive and negative impressions, and the general gaming experience on the virtual hardwood. This definitely wasn't always the case in the NLSC Forum. If you dig through the archives, you'll find plenty of topics discussing gameplay and game modes, sharing everything from suggestions and tips to criticism and praise. Within those topics, you'll see lively discussion.

Not so much anymore, however. Conversely, activity in our modding community is still at a high level. From releases and previews to modding advice and requests for mods, there's plenty of chatter. It's a puzzling phenomenon, and an imbalance that I'd love to see corrected. Obviously we're known as a modding community, but we've always been much more than that, in both our original content and the conversations we have about basketball gaming. In trying to determine how this trend began and what's changed in our community, I can't help wondering: are we actually playing basketball video games, or are we just modding them?

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:09 am

The ultimate team thread for Live 18 was really helpful for figuring out what to go for next and which legends were coming out

The problem is I don't play 2k so I don't think I have much to contribute as far as basketball gaming anymore
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:31 pm

That's something I hadn't really considered, that not everyone made the switch to 2K.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:43 pm

Yeah I remember when 2k16 was free and I played it and it was so time consuming but with not much pay off. It literally felt like a 2nd job
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:52 pm

MyCAREER is very much that way, paying for VC not withstanding.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: The Art of Minimalist Modding

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:33 pm

Monday Tip-Off: The Art of Minimalist Modding

With all the tools and techniques that our modding community has developed for NBA Live and NBA 2K over the years, we've been able to produce some fantastic projects. From detailed current rosters and multi-season packs to NCAA mods and other total conversions, we've been able to re-skin the game and create brand new experiences. These projects can take a long time to complete, but it's very satisfying to see them come together, for both the creator and the community. I can attest to that, having been involved in quite a few large roster projects over the years.

Of course, these fantastic projects do have their drawbacks. They can be incredibly time-consuming, so even if you have the skills to create all the necessary assets, it's much easier if you have a few other people helping out. To that point, not everyone can do it all when it comes to modding, so it's usually necessary to assemble a team or rely on some community contributions to get everything done. As you can imagine, the amount of time and effort required can lead to multiple delays, or projects falling through. It's why I've become intrigued with the idea of creating larger projects that don't require as much external effort; something I'm calling minimalist modding.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Previous

Return to NLSC Hub