NLSC Podcast #521: No NBA License? No Problem!

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #89 (August 7th, 2014) Out Now

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:03 pm

Episode #89 (August 7th, 2014)

Hosts: Andrew & JaoSming

It's that time of the week again, so I invite you to join JaoSming and myself for Episode #89 of the NLSC Podcast! Tune in for discussion of the latest NBA Live 15 screenshot, the return of Crew Mode in NBA 2K15, a few new modding developments, and some NBA offseason tidbits.

• We got a glimpse of the new official NBA basketball in NBA Live 15. Does JaoSming like it more than NBA Live 14's rock?
  • The actual Crew Mode that gamers loved and missed will be returning in NBA 2K15 on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Are we excited about that?
  • Footage of NBA 2K15 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One might be coming by the end of the week. With it being an Instagram video, we're trying to keep our expectations low.
  • In modding news this week: JaoSming's latest project, a new development by TGsoGood, and more good stuff with the Ultimate Base Roster.
  • We reflect on the latest Beat Jao challenge and last week's Friday Five.
  • Former WNBA star Becky Hammon has been hired by the San Antonio Spurs as a full-time assistant coach, breaking down another barrier in the NBA.
  • Derrick Rose has had a fine showing in the Team USA scrimmages. The big news coming out last week however is Paul George's gruesome injury...yikes.
  • We discuss the possibility of stars no longer competing in non-NBA events, and get nostalgic for days gone by.
  • It seems that Kevin Love is heading to Cleveland, which is making interviews for Andrew Wiggins somewhat awkward.
  • Free agent talk, the retirement of Dick Bavetta, and a few other offseason topics are covered.
  • We close with a short discussion of Brian Scalabrine's essay. Admittedly, our words cannot do it justice.

Click here to listen to the show!

As always, we welcome your thoughts on this week's show, as well as any of the topics that we discussed. Mailbag submissions and topic suggestions are also welcome, so feel free to hit us up in this thread.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:50 pm

Episode #90 will be posted tomorrow, featuring an in-depth interview with NBA Live 15 Executive Producer, Sean O'Brien.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:24 am

Just wondering if you guys are recording days before? or the day before you release the podcast?
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:30 am

Most shows are recorded between 12 and 48 hours before they're posted. We actually recorded this one last week however, the day after we recorded Episode #89.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:36 pm

After Sean, can we have Leftos back again in the Podcast? :lol:
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #90 featuring Sean O'Brien (August 13th, 2014) Out Now

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:40 pm

Episode #90 (August 13th, 2014)

Special Guest: Sean O'Brien

We're pleased to present a special episode of the NLSC Podcast this week, as JaoSming and I had the opportunity to chat with NBA Live 15 Executive Producer, Sean O'Brien. Sean very kindly gave us a little over two hours of his time, in which he spoke very honestly about the return of the series with NBA Live 14, the team's goals with future releases, and of course, some of the things that we can expect in NBA Live 15.

On that note, Sean gave us a lot of great info on this year's game, including details on controls and responsiveness, physics, locomotion and animation quality, AI improvements, and enhancements to the shooting mechanics. Sean also clarified a few points about the future of game modes such as Dynasty and Rising Star, while also answering our questions about this year's practice facilities, content updates, and even the possibility of NBA Live 14 getting further roster updates before NBA Live 15 comes out.

That's just the tip of the iceberg, so don't delay any longer: click here to listen to the show!

A huge thanks to Sean once again for coming on the Podcast! As always, we welcome your thoughts on this week's show. We also invite you to join in the discussion taking place in the NBA Live 15 section of the Forum.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:41 pm

KevinParker13 wrote:After Sean, can we have Leftos back again in the Podcast? :lol:

Might be a bit difficult to arrange, but you know we'd be up for it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #90 featuring Sean O'Brien (August 13th, 2014) Out Now

Postby [Q] on Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:39 pm

Interesting podcast with Sean. I agree it was very refreshing and very cool that he was so open and candid about a lot of things. It's great that he wasn't simply a talking EA press release and gave us a lot of insight to their vision and what they were working on.

a few things I noticed: he mentioned "Mike and Jeff" so I'm guessing that Mark Jackson won't make his return to the game? Hand Down, man down.

also I don't like that they're doing something similar to the "cell phone bars" from 2k. I feel that it's a bit distracting and makes the game a little bit too simple. It would be better if it was an L3 click like the old hotspots and not on the screen all the time.

and 400 dunks?? :crazyeyes:
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #91 (August 20th, 2014) Out Now

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:03 pm

Episode #91 (August 20th, 2014)

We're back to our regular show this week, with Episode #91 of the NLSC Podcast! JaoSming and I catch up on all the latest NBA Live 15 and NBA 2K15 news, and chat about a few other topics.

• We reflect on last week's interview with NBA Live 15 Executive Producer Sean O'Brien, recapping some of the highlights.
  • New NBA Live 15 screenshots are being released, showing off the arenas. They're nice, but we're holding out for more player close-ups and gameplay footage.
  • It happened! NBA 2K15 PC will be a port of the PlayStation 4/Xbox One version! So...what does that mean for us?
  • Speaking of NBA 2K15, MyLEAGUE sounds awesome, even if a few cynical people don't think so. A rant ensues.
  • JaoSming provides us with this week's update on the latest modding developments.
  • In NBA news, Kevin Love is headed to Cleveland, as is Shawn Marion. Apart from that, we're at a very slow point of the offseason, but we find a couple of other interesting topics to chat about.
  • We close this week's show with a great quote from Swaggy P.

As always, we welcome your thoughts on this week's show, as well as any of the topics that we discussed. Mailbag submissions and topic suggestions are also welcome, so feel free to hit us up in this thread.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby The X on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:49 pm

I'm about half way through the podcast & it's another great one guys. I have listened to #90 & #91 & both have been very good. I am impressed with how much you guys have improved in quality (both sound & content) throughout the last two years. I don't listen to the majority of podcasts but do when big ticket ones (Sean O'Brien, Da Czar etc) or big game news releases (this week for example) but just wanted to let you know you're doing well & thought I'd let you know. It's also good listening whilst doing after hours work, makes it go easier. Normally during season I'd have NBA League Pass rocking in background but with off-season being boring and not too many Grantland podcasts at present, this has filled the void.

Some thoughts (I might add some later):
- I just knew Andrew would call out Dennis Rodman to start the latest podcast :P
- I don't agree with the whole 300 or 400 new dunks due to Sean's comments. I might have misheard it or think he misinterpreted it from what other developer told him, but I believe it will be 300 or 400 dunk animations (which is still mighty impressive). I'm not sure how many animations go into one dunk but I'm assuming the 300 or 400 animations would make dunks already in game look better/improved & add a bunch of new dunks.
- I'm happy Leftos is doing his thing. Flying the PC flag, flying the deeper MyLeague mode and putting his heart & soul into it. It may or may not come off in reality as we all know one bug could break it (but they can be patched) but I nonetheless appreciate his & the 2K team putting that sort of detail into it. We've been waiting for this for a while.
- I really hope Live comes back with a solid & playable game with good controls and a playable dynasty mode.
- I think the majority of members cringe when they see a lot of PC people whinging again. They whinged that who cares about MyLeague because they assumed PC wouldn't be next gen. Now they got the port they wanted & they are whinging about whether they'll get patches as quick as PS4/X1 (I can answer that, assume you won't) & whether their PC will be able to run it at 60fps. I know it's the minority of PC owners but would be nice if people could just enjoy things for what they are & smells the roses every now & then.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:51 am

Thanks X, glad to hear that you've enjoyed the past couple of shows and that you feel there's been an improvement in our performance! I've gotta credit Leftos as far as the sound quality is concerned, as he passed along a few post-production tips that I've been utilising for a while now. I'd like to think that experience has helped with our chemistry, delivery, confidence, and overall performance, so I'm glad that's coming across! We're also aiming to do shorter shows than the two and a half hour marathons we were doing for a while there, an hour to an hour and a half; like you said, something that people can just put on in the background while they're working on something. When it comes to shows like the Sean O'Brien interview though, we hope people don't mind that we run a little longer.

I think it's good news either way about the dunk animations, whether it's 400 new ones (on top of another number), or 400 total. It's definitely more than last year, so it's most welcome. But yeah, perhaps we can clarify some of those numbers on a future show, since we'll hopefully be able to get Sean (and Connor) on the show to talk more gameplay.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby The X on Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:47 am

The Sean O'Brien interview was great. That could've gone 4 hours & I would've listened to it. It was the right length though. If he wasn't as open & honest a guy as he was then year, half that time would've covered it. I think the sweet spot is around that hour or so.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #92 (August 27th, 2014) Out Now

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:32 pm

Episode #92 (August 27th, 2014)

Episode #92 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! Join JaoSming and myself as we talk about the week in basketball gaming news, including the NBA Live 15 cover reveal, and the NBA 2K15 Yakkem Trailer.

• At long last, we know the cover player for NBA Live 15: Damian Lillard. Was he a good choice?
  • We also comment on the latest NBA Live 15 screenshots, and a brief in-game clip of Lillard in what appears to be the practice gym.
  • The system requirements for NBA 2K15 PC have been revealed. Will our rigs handle it?
  • What did we think of the NBA 2K15 Yakkem Trailer? Was it a worthy sequel to last year's OMG Trailer?
  • We make a public service announcement, in light of a few of our Forum members getting a little rowdy over the course of the preview season.
  • Folks are still having fun Beating Jao. Last week's effort by reaperwolverine was quite impressive!
  • Some recent developments and a Downloads database milestone are discussed in this week's modding update.
  • August 26th marked Andrew's 13th year as NLSC Webmaster. Following on from last week's Friday Five, we reminisce.
  • We close the show with a bit of NBA discussion.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #93 (September 5th, 2014) Out Now

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:47 am

Episode #93 (September 5th, 2014)

Hosts: Andrew & Arcane

Episode #93 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! Arcane and I are your hosts this week, as we discuss the NBA Live 15 and NBA 2K15 trailers, screenshots and previews for both games, and chat a little about the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup. Please note that the latest news on MyGM broke after we recorded, so we'll be talking about that in next week's episode.

• Arcane is welcomed back to the show, following a five week absence.
  • We had our first glimpse of NBA Live 15 in action in the form of the Visuals Trailer. What did we think of it?
  • NBA Live 15's official Features List was also revealed. We break down the points of emphasis in this year's game.
  • Since Arcane has missed a few shows, he provides his thoughts on the Yakkem Trailer and MyLEAGUE in NBA 2K15.
  • We discuss the NBA 2K15 tidbits that came out of this week's live stream, as well as the latest screenshots and preview snippets.
  • We talk a little about the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup, providing some live reactions (well, live at the time of recording) to the Australia vs. Angola game.
  • Andre Iguodala and Steven Adams provide some Tweets for us to close the show on.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby The X on Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:47 pm

We finished 2-3 so thru to next round :) on the topic of WC, it's been good to see ABC covering it. You guys watching the Double Dribble each night?

Btw, Steven Adams is born in NZ to a Tongan mother and (Caucasian) English father. Agreed haka seems more appropriate for rugby & cultural only but not my place to say. These days to have it performed against you in a sign of respect, an invitation to battle. What US did wasn't disrespectful but what the Turks did was.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:39 pm

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. But like I said, I wish Australia had something similar; cricketers setting drinking records on the flight to England doesn't count. I missed what happened in the game against Turkey.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #94 (September 11th, 2014) Out Now

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:48 am

Episode #94 (September 11th, 2014)

Tune in to Episode #94 of the NLSC Podcast, hosted by Arcane and myself! This week, we chat about NBA Live 15 being pushed back to October 28th, details on MyGM and MyLEAGUE in NBA 2K15, and some other news and previews for both games. Unfortunately, we did have a couple of audio issues this week, so please bear with us.

• The release of NBA Live 15 has been pushed back until October 28th. Are we concerned, or are we still optimistic?
  • We also got our first gameplay developer blog, and some raw work-in-progress gameplay footage of NBA Live 15.
  • Executive Producer Sean O'Brien took to Twitter for a Q&A with the fans. We recap and react to the latest details on the game.
  • NBA 2K15 Senior Producer Rob Jones recently appeared on the Press Row Podcast, providing an in-depth insight into the development of this year's game.
  • Thanks to Leftos and Dave Zdyrko, we have some further information on MyGM and MyLEAGUE. Frankly, we really like what we're hearing about both modes.
  • We let everyone know about some upcoming interviews that we'll be conducting on the Podcast. We're also hoping to do something special for Episode #100, if we can arrange it.
  • Did Australia tank in the FIBA Basketball World Cup? If they did, it didn't help them much.
  • We offer a few thoughts on the controversy surrounding the Atlanta Hawks.
  • Shawn Marion receives a classy send-off from the Mavericks, and Chauncey Billups calls it a career after 17 years.
  • We wrap up the show with a word from J.R. Smith on his shoelace shenanigans.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #95: Return of Leftos (September 17th, 2014) Out Now

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:08 pm

Episode #95 (September 17th, 2014)

Special Guest: Leftos

For the first time since Episode #37, Leftos is making an appearance on the NLSC Podcast! In his triumphant return to digital broadcasting, Leftos talks a little about what it's like to be a developer on NBA 2K15, his first year at Visual Concepts, and offers some advice on how to break into the industry.
Leftos was also able to give us a great deal of information on MyGM and MyLEAGUE in NBA 2K15, expanding on some recent blogs and interviews, and letting us know about a few things that haven't been talked about too much. In addition to explaining the basic features and differences between the two modes, Leftos gives us some in-depth insight into player progression and regression, the injury system, customisation options, and much, much more.

We were also able to get a lot of the community's questions about MyGM and MyLEAGUE answered, so if you're looking forward to those two modes in NBA 2K15, be sure to tune in to Episode #95!

A huge thanks to Leftos once again for coming on the Podcast, as it was great to chat to him again! As always, we welcome your thoughts on this week's show, as well as any of the topics that we discussed. Mailbag submissions and topic suggestions are also welcome, so feel free to hit us up in this thread.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #95: Return of Leftos (September 17th, 2014) Out Now

Postby Kevin on Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:34 pm

YES YES YES!
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #96 (September 24th, 2014) Out Now

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:04 pm

Episode #96 (September 24th, 2014)

With a steady stream of NBA Live 15 and NBA 2K15 news coming our way, we had a lot to talk about in Episode #96 of the NLSC Podcast. Join Arcane and myself as we chat about the latest developments, fully aware that there would be even more stuff to talk about not long after we finished recording.

• The Return of Leftos in Episode #95 was a success, as we enjoyed talking to our good friend and getting some great info on MyGM and MyLEAGUE for the community.
  • We bid JaoSming a fond farewell from the NLSC Team and Podcast, and wish him all the best in his new gig at Visual Concepts.
  • Moving on to gaming news, we tip things off with the ratings reveals for NBA Live 15. Were we surprised by any of the initial ratings?
  • We discuss the latest NBA Live 15 screenshots, which have featured all 30 NBA arenas, several players, and a collection of shoes.
  • As we consider the future of NBA Live and what the game needs to do to continue to improve this year and beyond, we briefly segue into the topic of fanboys and haters.
  • NBA Live 14 has continued to receive some patches and content updates. Have they made a difference?
  • PlayStation 4 and Xbox One users will be able to scan their faces into NBA 2K15. Will it persuade us to invest in a PlayStation Camera?
  • 2KTV, which will deliver content geared towards NBA 2K gamers, has been announced. Personally, we're looking forward to JaoSming's contributions.
  • Details on MyCAREER are beginning to come through. We discuss what we know so far, and whether our attitude towards the mode has changed at all.
  • We also know a little more about Badges in NBA 2K15, and we're liking what we hear.
  • Discussion of real basketball this week includes Rajon Rondo's coachability, a couple of players taking their talents to China, and an obligatory NBL mention.
  • We close the show on a story that leaves us feeling rather flushed.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby TBM on Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:38 am

Slight criticism: Is there any way Arcane can invest in a pop filter? He "RIP headphone user'd" me a few times. :lol:
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JaoSming on Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:39 am

Everytime I try to bask in the greatness that is that glorious beard Leftos gets mad at me. Dear Andrew, how can I let him recognize his own beard's true greatness?

And TAG WILL HAPPEN AGAIN.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:38 am

TBM wrote:Slight criticism: Is there any way Arcane can invest in a pop filter? He "RIP headphone user'd" me a few times. :lol:

Are you saying that my $24 Microsoft headset doesn't cause any problems like that? Good to know, that certainly appeals to the cheapskate in me. ;)

JaoSming wrote:Everytime I try to bask in the greatness that is that glorious beard Leftos gets mad at me. Dear Andrew, how can I let him recognize his own beard's true greatness?

And TAG WILL HAPPEN AGAIN.

Your problem is that you tried to touch it.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Leftos on Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:46 am

TBM wrote:Slight criticism: Is there any way Arcane can invest in a pop filter? He "RIP headphone user'd" me a few times. :lol:

Yeah, sounded like a couple of times he clipped his way to hell and back. Andrew, are you clamping max volume to -0.1db in post? I always felt that helped.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:50 am

Yep, always do that, and definitely did it this time.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard