NLSC Podcast - Episode #31

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

NLSC Podcast - Episode #31

Postby Andrew on Thu May 30, 2013 10:19 pm

Return of That Tools Guy 2K!

Episode #31 (May 29th, 2013)

Hosts: Andrew, Arcane & Leftos

Leftos returns to make it a trio once more as we talk about the latest news and events in the basketball gaming community in Episode #31 of the NLSC Podcast. Join us this week as we recap a few news and notes from the community, talk about the 2013 Conference Finals and offer more thoughts on the next generation of consoles. On tap this week:

• Leftos is back, as not even wild sandstorms can suppress his passion for his digital broadcasting duties!
  • We remind everyone to show off their creativity by creating some custom NBA Live 14 covers, thanks to hiteshom's template. The possibility of Kyrie Irving being the NBA Live 14 cover player is also discussed.
  • Some fun ideas for upcoming podcasts are brought up, as we invite the community to let us know if they're interested.
  • Taking a look at the latest news and releases from our modding community, we recognise some big releases while once again bringing up the idea of an open source approach.
  • TGsoGood's work adding female players and WNBA jerseys to NBA 2K13 leads to a discussion about video games based on women's sports.
  • This week's NBA discussion focuses on the Conference Finals. The Grizzlies are out, the Spurs are in the Finals and the Heat and Pacers are still battling it out.
  • How do we see the Eastern Conference Finals and potential NBA Finals matchups playing out?
  • At the risk of sounding unoriginal, we don't care for the job the referees are doing, or the way certain players are flopping.
  • The discussion moves to the latest news and info surrounding the next gen consoles. Leftos offers his reactions to the announcement of the Xbox One.
  • We close with some additional NBA Live and NBA 2K news.

Click here to listen to the show!

As always, we invite your feedback on this week's episode. We're also interested to hear whether you like some of the ideas we threw out for some of our upcoming episodes, so let us know what you think.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #31

Postby shadowgrin on Thu May 30, 2013 10:48 pm

• The discussion moves to the latest news and info surrounding the next gen consoles. Leftos offers his reactions to the announcement of the Xbox One.

Leftos' second to the last podcast for the NLSC should just be him alone ranting about anything for an hour or half.

The last one of course should be a send off podcast with the rest of the podcast regulars, similar to that recent one with Da Czar, maybe even have Da Czar join in again. Have the entire panel grill Leftos in a Q&A or a roast even.

Whoever edits the podcast should really include the time stamps of each topic in the announcement posts.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Leftos on Thu May 30, 2013 11:13 pm

shadowgrin wrote:Leftos' second to the last podcast for the NLSC should just be him alone ranting about anything for an hour or half.

I don't see how this is any different than EVERY SINGLE PODCAST I've participated in with the exception of the Da Czar interview and Episode 29.

shadowgrin wrote:The last one of course should be a send off podcast with the rest of the podcast regulars, similar to that recent one with Da Czar, maybe even have Da Czar join in again. Have the entire panel grill Leftos in a Q&A or a roast even.

Yes please. Roast me good. Roast me REAL GOOD.

shadowgrin wrote:Whoever edits the podcast should really include the time stamps of each topic in the announcement posts.

But then where's the fun in forcing you to listen to the whole thing for 2+ hours or do all the skipping ahead yourself? I think we shouldn't even mention the topics of discussion, like the major podcasts do. We're so confident you'll want to listen, that we don't even have to say what we're talking about.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby shadowgrin on Fri May 31, 2013 2:10 am

Leftos wrote:I don't see how this is any different than EVERY SINGLE PODCAST I've participated in with the exception of the Da Czar interview and Episode 29.

AAAAAAAAAHHH[/Leftos] see what you did there.

Leftos wrote:But then where's the fun in forcing you to listen to the whole thing for 2+ hours or do all the skipping ahead yourself? I think we shouldn't even mention the topics of discussion, like the major podcasts do. We're so confident you'll want to listen, that we don't even have to say what we're talking about.

I like the cut of your jib. No wonder 2K hired you. You should take Ronnie's job as well, we need someone straight-forward instead of him giving the community BS tweets.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby benji on Fri May 31, 2013 4:51 pm

shadowgrin wrote:You should take Ronnie's job as well, we need someone straight-forward instead of him giving the community BS tweets.

Look at this dope who thinks that's not Ronald's job.
benji

Postby BAROCKAFELLA on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:50 pm

You guys brought up many legitimate concerns and fleshed out insight in regards to the xboxone. The jury is still out for me atleast atleast until E3.

I was considering getting both consoles but now after leftos xboxone arguements, im leaning more toward the PS4. Btw, could ya Please stop predicting the outcome of the Miami/Indiana series. You guys collectively have some bad bizarro prediction mojo going. Yall are going to knock my Pacers out tomorrow. Not cool. Lol.

As for the get back celebretory animations, im surprised you guys arent aware of the Kobe big balls animation and the Jason Terry airplane animation from some earlier iterations of nba2k. The only catch is that those animations occur after successfully completed dunks in the dunk contest in NBA2K8,9 and I think 10 was the last. Yall should check them out. Pretty amusing stuff.

Its kind of a shame that leftos will be leaving the podcast soon since the production value of this show trumps anything said on Czars radio podcast. Aside from that, incase i didnt say it earlier, congrats on the 2k gig leftos and thanks for no awkward moments this week Ben.

Overall pretty good podcast. :lol:
BAROCKAFELLA

Postby Leftos on Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:07 pm

Thanks for all your input BAROCKAFELLA. Really appreciate some detailed feedback on the discussion.

As for the Xbox One, as I said, I'm still reserving judgement. I wouldn't say I'm set on buying a PS4 already, as there's still a lot to be shown that would sway me one way or the other. Microsoft said some pretty unpopular stuff if you trust the internet's outrage, but Sony has been curiously quiet and/or cryptic over some of those very same issues, which makes it easy for Microsoft to lose those early preference polls. Still a long way to go before I have all I need to know before buying either of those consoles. E3's coming up real soon, so we'll see if we have any winner/loser situation coming out of it.

I know I shouldn't have said that I believed the Pacers would take this series. I've been ignoring them and dismissing them all year long, and they get to the ECF. You're right. I should've just kept dismissing them, silently wishing them well inside.

I think you're giving Czar's radio show too little credit. I think he does a very good job in keeping a broad panel of sim-oriented people discussing current subjects in a very short timeframe. I know my amazing personality pretty much trumps up anything else in podcast form or otherwise, but still. :P

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:43 pm

My jinxing powers have proven to be the strongest and I've picked Miami to win the series, so we'll just have to wait and see. ;)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby BAROCKAFELLA on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:48 am

Now theres a reason, I didn't mention Andrew, because his uncontrollable Jinxing powers are very real, very strong, and very misused....for evil.

Andrew...once again I think you just somehow solidified Miami's chances of Winning it all this year! Damn. Its bad enough you picked Miami to win this series, but then you go and compound it by acknowledging Miami to win in the thread as well. The basketball gods have a weird sense of reverse/double reverse outcomes when YOU make predictions. Thanks alot Andrew for messing up the Spurs chances! That being said, at least T-mac doesn't need to blame himself this year for the Spurs losing to the Heat. Andrew...Its not on T-mac....Its ON YOU!!!

Hey Leftos, don't get me wrong. I'm a sim player by nature and I love what Czar brings to the table in terms of insight, but I could do without his gimmicky samples, extraneous laughs and some of his inept panel members he brings on occasion. Well, one exception would be "Books" I think that's his name anyway. That dude is pretty informative. Hes no Leftos. He doesn't have your sexy accent. I really wish that Czar would put a new battery in his fire alarm though. That thing has been beeping through his podcast for a couple of weeks now. Despite all that, I still listen to his podcast, so I think I'll just stop right there and get me a heaping cup of Shut the F*^k up!

Just one more thing. Leftos, I know your mums on your role with 2k, but if its possible, could ya ask them to re-implement the 2KReel Maker into the game? For free (No DLC B.S.). I have all these highlights with no way to showcase them. Sad. Don't even get me started on that blasphemy of a Dunk Contest!!! Sheesh! Guitar Hero...Really?
BAROCKAFELLA

Postby Leftos on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:07 am

Although I can't discuss any kind of future or unannounced plans, my opinion on everything 2K has done the past 2 years is pretty public around the Forum and on the Podcast. I'm listening to all kinds of suggestions and feedback, and I'm hoping to take some of them up personally as time goes on, while push for the widely requested features as well.

Czar has his personality. His exuberant laugh is just part of who he is, and I love it. I wouldn't call his panel inept, he's taking the risk of doing a live show and giving any and all members of the community a voice. That's pretty important stuff. We try to do kind of the same by opening Pre-Podcast Discussion threads and voicing your opinions on stuff. Not everyone is going to be as eloquent, or have their thoughts worked out, or be suitable to voice their opinion on the radio, even more so on a live show that goes up unedited. But that's his thing. And I'm glad he joined us on the two occasions we invited him, his participation made for great shows. Plus, as I said, I don't think he gives himself enough time to do a proper show with all the subjects he wants to go through and the amount of people calling in each week. In any case, make sure to forward him your feedback. I'm sure anyone that does a podcast appreciates feedback on how they can improve (us included), and Da Czar is no close-minded guy.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby BrotherJRB on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:51 pm

By the way. Indiana Pacers push a game 7. They have controlled most of the series unfortunately they are a little to inexperienced to close out games otherwise they could have put this away already. No jinxes here.

I am unsure if the next gen is worth buying right away for myself. I will be moving again this fall and taking on a new job which won't leave much free time anyway. I think I may stick to the PC games.

I was surprised to here your statistics about the PS2 being the most sold console by many millions. I would have thought the next gens would have held that title.

Good stuff about the WNBA and womens sports. I have to feel your opinions are in the minority. Writers like Bill Simmons still lambaste the WNBA and womens college ball rather than accept it for what it is. I think it would be great for the developers to add some WNBA teams....maybe next gen.

Good show as always.
2013 is the year?
Thanks to Vl@d, Leftos and all the other patchers for their hard work.
BrotherJRB

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:09 pm

BAROCKAFELLA wrote:Now theres a reason, I didn't mention Andrew, because his uncontrollable Jinxing powers are very real, very strong, and very misused....for evil.

Andrew...once again I think you just somehow solidified Miami's chances of Winning it all this year! Damn. Its bad enough you picked Miami to win this series, but then you go and compound it by acknowledging Miami to win in the thread as well. The basketball gods have a weird sense of reverse/double reverse outcomes when YOU make predictions. Thanks alot Andrew for messing up the Spurs chances! That being said, at least T-mac doesn't need to blame himself this year for the Spurs losing to the Heat. Andrew...Its not on T-mac....Its ON YOU!!!

Just to be on the safe side, I'll say nothing further!

Also glad to hear you're enjoying the podcasts. We're going to miss Leftos too when he heads over to the US and can't be on every week, though we're eager to have him back whenever he can join us. Hope you'll still tune in and enjoy the shows even when we're without Leftos' soothing accent and glorious beard. ;)

jrlocke wrote:Good stuff about the WNBA and womens sports. I have to feel your opinions are in the minority. Writers like Bill Simmons still lambaste the WNBA and womens college ball rather than accept it for what it is. I think it would be great for the developers to add some WNBA teams....maybe next gen.

Good show as always.

Thanks for tuning in, as I've said before it's great to know that we have frequent listeners who are enjoying what we're doing. (Y)

I think when it comes to writers like Bill Simmons, it's more a case of it being an easy go-to joke, given the lower ratings and popularity of women's basketball. I'm guessing if he put the jokes aside and gave an honest opinion, he'd probably give them more credit as basketball players and athletes in general, but it makes for an easy quip to throw out there.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard