Wayback Wednesday: Discovering an NBA Live 08 Roster

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Wiki and other site related issues and content here. Site and community announcements are also posted in this section.

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Familiar Faces Back in Familiar Places (Part 2)

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:59 pm

Wayback Wednesday: Familiar Faces Back in Familiar Places (Part 2)

Just as there are have been several familiar faces that ended up in strange places, there are more familiar faces who made it back to familiar places than I can possibly fit into just one list of ten! To that end, I'm also making this spinoff topic an ongoing series for Wayback Wednesday. As I previously noted, these homecomings can be just as interesting as the strange stints of well-known players, as they can also end up flying under the radar and being forgotten due to being unremarkable returns. In other cases, it's the original stint with a team that is overlooked.

Either way, they're fun to look back on. We can obviously do that by going back and watching old games, but it's also possible to revisit these tenures through the virtual hardwood. I've grown quite fond of referring to basketball video games as interactive almanacs and time capsules to the point where I'm probably overusing the expression. It is quite apt though, and with that in mind, I'm using video games to demonstrate these examples of familiar faces back in familiar places. Let's take a look back...way back...
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: A Trashed Mavs Jersey in NBA Live 2004

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:23 pm

Wayback Wednesday: A Trashed Mavs Jersey in NBA Live 2004

Nothing turns us basketball fans into fashion critics quite like a new NBA jersey design. It's rare to get a uniform that we universally agree is good or bad, especially when it comes to some of the colourful designs of the mid to late 90s. There are a handful of jerseys that draw close to a unanimous reaction however, be it positive or negative. The uniforms that are reviled by almost everyone - even the most ardent fans of the teams that sport them - become infamous, especially if they somehow stick around beyond a single season.

On the other hand, negative reception can derail plans for a uniform design to become a staple of the team's branding. Indeed, the jersey I'm talking about today - the Dallas Mavericks' infamous "trash bag" uniform - was scrapped after being worn in just one game. It's a jersey that's been talked about at length, given that it's a mainstay on most "all-time worst jerseys" lists, but it does have an interesting history with NBA Live 2004. Let's take a look back...way back...
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:09 am

Man I loved those jerseys. I believe I had converted them over to 2005 and made them shiny for my own game
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:12 am

I think the concept was good. If the real jerseys had been more like the ones in NBA Live 2004 and didn't start to look brown after players began to sweat in them, they probably would've worked out.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:54 am

I think the Kings and Wizards had shiny ones a few years later that wasn't bad. Perhaps they just needed a different material
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:38 am

They both had gold jerseys that were...divisive. I'd probably take them over some of the designs we've seen since the Nike takeover in 2017.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Discovering an NBA Live 08 Roster

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:13 pm

Wayback Wednesday: Discovering an NBA Live 08 Roster

Through looking back at old basketball video games for Wayback Wednesday, I've been able to make a few discoveries. Whether it's changing my opinion on a game one way or another, recalling a forgotten feature, or even noticing an error that I've been able to some overlook for more than two decades, covering old games on a regular basis has resulted in some interesting experiences. There's something very satisfying in gaining a new perspective, filling in a gap in your knowledge, and for that matter, simply discovering something cool. It's like finding buried treasure.

Today, I'd like to talk about a different kind of discovery: a custom roster for the Xbox 360 version of NBA Live 08. Now, I've been able to go back and find a few roster mods and the like in my archives over the years, but they've generally been for the PC version of various NBA Live titles. Finding some original content for the console releases is much rarer, at least when it comes to my archives. As soon as I found it, I knew it was something I'd have to revisit and talk about here in Wayback Wednesday. Let's take a look back...way back...

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Previous

Return to NLSC Hub