Monday Tip-Off: A Webmaster Looks At Forty

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Padding & Politics in Player Ratings

Postby Andrew on Mon May 20, 2024 1:35 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Padding & Politics in Player Ratings

Although the discussion has seemingly turned to MyPLAYER builds and figuring out the meta, I’d suggest that real player ratings will always be a point of interest. They’re still vital in accurately representing the players’ abilities and skill levels, and if you play franchise modes or with retro teams, you’ll notice mistakes and inconsistencies. There’s also still an interest in which players are top-rated in key categories such as dunking and three-point shooting, as well as where everyone ranks with their Overall Ratings. Again, it may not be as much of a focus now, but there’s still a discussion.

To that point, it’s clear that personal opinions and politics do play a role in both our view of the ratings, as well as how they’re assigned in the first place. Lest I sound like a grumpy old head grumbling about modern games, let’s make it clear that this has been going on for many, many years! Indeed, I’d suggest that as long as basketball video games have had visible ratings – and in some cases, where there have been some sneaky hidden mechanics – player abilities have been subject to padding and politics. There are times when it’s been fairly benign or even enhanced the experience, but it can certainly be problematic and damaging when it leads to widespread inaccuracies.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Black Plates & The Big Picture

Postby Andrew on Mon May 27, 2024 12:45 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Black Plates & The Big Picture

After several years of grinding to level up a MyPLAYER so that I could partake in MyCAREER’s connected online modes, I gave up shortly into the life cycle of NBA 2K21. It’s simply not fun to repeat that journey every year, especially as the mode has become pushier and pushier with its recurrent revenue mechanics, and the scene has only grown increasingly toxic. With that being said, I do keep tabs on what’s going on with NBA 2K’s online scene, paying attention to what my fellow basketball gamers are saying about it on social media and Reddit.

Sadly, from the sounds of things, not much has changed. Well, it might’ve grown even worse if anything, but it certainly hasn’t improved! It seems that one of the biggest issues in NBA 2K24 – at least according to discussions over on the official NBA 2K subreddit – has been the matter of “black plates”. For those who are unaware, this is referring to a rep system in MyCAREER’s connected modes, which displays different colours behind a MyPLAYER’s overall depending on their online performance. As the players with the lowest rep, “black plates” are generally avoided. While this is understandable, it exemplifies an ongoing issue with the design of 2K’s online modes.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: A Requiem for ICQ

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:15 pm

Monday Tip-Off: A Requiem for ICQ

Alright, so this topic isn't strictly related to basketball gaming, but hey, it's my column and I'm essentially the editor-in-chief here, so who's going to stop me? Besides, ICQ is certainly relevant in the history of our community, as plenty of people who were around in the early days - me included - used it to chat with each other. Indeed, for those of us who were online in the late 90s, ICQ was likely one of our first instant messaging clients along with AOL Instant Messenger, aka AIM. I'm guessing that most of us haven't used the program in years, but ICQ has remained active as of 2024.

Until now, that is. On May 24th 2024, it was announced on ICQ's official website that the service will be shut down on June 26th, after almost 30 years. As someone who used ICQ back in the day, I'm compelled to become the latest person to eulogise this vestige of 1990s internet. Considering that we've also been around since 1996 and will now outlast ICQ, it also has me thinking about the passage of time; what's come and gone, and what the internet has gained and lost over the years. I realise that this isn't Wayback Wednesday, but nevertheless, I wanted to reminisce about ICQ and reflect on its impressive longevity, as well as my nostalgia as an Elder Millennial.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: I Bought VC For The First Time In Years (And I Hate That)

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:11 pm

Monday Tip-Off: I Bought VC For The First Time In Years (And I Hate That)

The first time I spent real money on VC was in the PlayStation 4 version of NBA 2K14. Intrigued by my first look at MyTEAM, I figured I'd drop a few bucks on it and try my luck. I had one very lucky pull - a 1993 Michael Jordan card - but it was quite clear that generally speaking, it'd be a poor investment. I also splurged on some VC in NBA 2K16, 2K17, and 2K18 in order to upgrade my MyPLAYER to be ready for the online scene sooner. Beginning with NBA 2K19 however, I began adhering to a strict No Money Spent policy. I found great satisfaction in not giving in to the pressure.

I continued that approach in future games, while encouraging my fellow gamers to do the same. That hasn't changed: I despise the pushiness of microtransactions in NBA 2K, and how the quality of the on-court experience suffers if you want to take the long road. However, I must admit that as far as buying VC myself, after abstaining for several years, I gave in. While it isn't one of the most embarrassing things I've ever done in my life - I'll keep those stories to myself, thank you very much! - I certainly wasn't pleased that I did it. There was a reason for it, but even so, I do regret my lack of patience, and participation in a practice that continues to ruin the NBA 2K series.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Reviving the Retro Modding Scene

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:26 am

Monday Tip-Off: Reviving the Retro Modding Scene

Given that my dissatisfaction with the most recent releases in the NBA 2K series has pushed me towards retro basketball gaming – however you want to define that – I’m obviously intrigued by the prospect of reviving the retro modding scene. To reiterate a point I made when I discussed the definition of retro gaming, retro modding means different things to different people, but broadly speaking, I’d suggest that it refers to nostalgic favourites that the community has largely moved on from, but a dedicated contingent of people still revisit and have interest in modding and using mods for.

As far as the specific titles, we can name some popular examples here. NBA 2K13 and NBA 2K14 are two of the most modded games of their generation, and they hold up well. There’s a ton of nostalgia for the later NBA Live releases on PC, especially NBA Live 2005 and NBA Live 06, with NBA Live 2003 and NBA Live 2004 being up there as well. NBA 2K11 has some untapped potential, and is a game I’ve seen gamers cite as one they’d like to see benefit from more retro modding. NBA 2K17 and NBA 2K19 are two recent classics that gamers want to keep alive. I love the idea and support the initiative, but to make it happen, we must keep a few things in mind.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Sim Heads & Inaccurate Stats

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:06 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Sim Heads & Inaccurate Stats

Even though sim basketball gamers have somehow come to be considered “casuals” by gatekeeping denizens of the competitive online scene, there are still plenty of virtual hoopers who prefer the NBA side of video games. Sim heads are more likely to prefer franchise play and the traditional career mode experience, where a realistic style of play is more viable. Of course, opting for realism across the board is easier said than done. After all, in franchise and career modes, that means playing a full 82-game season on twelve minute quarters, which can be a daunting prospect.

It’s something that I’ve done in multiple games now. In my ongoing NBA 2K14 PS4 MyCAREER, I’m playing on full quarters and have yet to simulate a game as of my sixth season, and it’s been a more rewarding journey as a result. That’s how I feel about all of my games where I’ve played through at least one season from start to finish, but to that point, I can attest to it being a lengthy process. Even if you never feel bored, it can still be challenging to find the necessary free time. This is why the simulation function and shorter quarter length options are so useful, but for hardcore sim gamers, the inaccurate stats they produce can be difficult to get your head around.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Crafting An Alternative to NBA 2K

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:25 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Crafting An Alternative to NBA 2K

At this point, it’s painfully apparent how important alternatives and choices are in the sports gaming space. For years, too many people in the basketball gaming community seemingly delighted at NBA Live’s struggles. They relished in its shortcomings, eager to pounce on every preview with snarky mockery. That’s not to say that there weren’t valid criticisms, even the ones delivered drenched in snark. NBA Live is dormant for a reason – several reasons, actually – but too many gamers wanted to see its downfall. “Just give up and go away,” they sneered. “It’s NBA 2K’s time, now.”

Misguided as it may have been, that stance was at least understandable when NBA 2K was at its peak, delivering quality on the virtual hardwood and fairness to the gamer. It was easy for the series to become the darling of basketball gamers, while Take-Two became the “good guys” who kept virtual hoops on PC when EA Sports abandoned the platform. As I said in a previous article however, Take-Two has become EA now, from greedy practices to games that fail to innovate and excite as they once did. NBA 2K is admittedly in much better shape than NBA Live was at its lowest, but there’s still room for viable alternatives. The question is how do you craft a competing title?
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Ninth Generation Disappointment

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:24 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Ninth Generation Disappointment

I was eager to get a PlayStation 5 as soon as possible back in 2020, and was fortunate enough to snag one during the second wave of pre-orders at my preferred retailer here in Australia. It was essential in order to cover the Next Gen version of NBA 2K that tipped off the ninth generation that November, and there are obviously other games that I’m interested in as well. However, to be completely honest, the ninth generation has been a significant disappointment for me so far. None of the NBA 2K titles on PS5 have held my attention for an entire year, nor have I been tempted to revisit them.

To that point, I’ve mostly been using my PlayStation 5 to play MyCAREER in NBA 2K14! It’s not just the virtual hardwood that’s left me feeling uninspired by the ninth generation, either. I was also disappointed by Mortal Kombat 1, though not so much for its gameplay. This is where somebody might suggest that I’ve “outgrown” video games, or that I’m simply out of touch with modern trends. Given some of the trends that have emerged in video games – basketball or otherwise – I’d actually consider that to be a point of pride! Look, I can’t deny a couple of Grumpy Old Man opinions, but when it comes to the ninth generation, I truly believe my disappointment is justified.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: The Terry Hanson Multiverse

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:51 pm

Monday Tip-Off: The Terry Hanson Multiverse

When you think about it, basketball video games create a multitude of realities; a multiverse, if you will. For example, from my gaming alone, the Chicago Bulls have won their seventh championship – and sometimes an eighth title as well – on several occasions and in different seasons. In my NBA 2K14 MyCAREER, I’m working on an alternate timeline spanning from the 2014 season through to today. With millions of people playing basketball video games, all manner of scenarios are happening on the virtual hardwood, repeating as new games come out and wipe the slate clean.

Technically speaking, Terry Hanson doesn’t have any “official” appearances in video games. After all, as a generated and thus fictional player, he’s not official to begin with! With that being said, he is functionally a part of the reality that has been created by my aforementioned NBA 2K14 MyCAREER, so that’s “officially” where he’s from. However, that’s not the only place that he shows up these days. My enthusiasm for this generated player – truly a Virtual Hardwood Legend – has ensured that from here on out, I’ll be doing my part in creating a Terry Hanson Multiverse. And so, I’d like to share with you how Top Floor Terry has leapt beyond his original game!
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Keeping An Open Mind

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:22 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Keeping An Open Mind

Obviously, the ability to keep an open mind is a useful gift in general. We don’t need to go into any deeper socio-political issues here – we are a basketball gaming site and community at the end of the day – but there’s wisdom in open-mindedness. After all, having an open mind doesn’t mean believing everything you hear, or allowing your views to be easily changed. Indeed, when we’re open to new information, dissenting opinions, and examining and even challenging our own views, it may well strengthen our stance. If being better-informed changes our mind, there’s nobility in that, too.

As basketball gamers, we tend to have fairly strong preferences and beliefs. We have our mode of choice, and our preferred style of gameplay, from controls to mechanics. We know the games we like, and the games we don’t. If we encounter an opposing point of view when discussing basketball gaming on social media or in forums and Discord servers, we may be moved to vehemently disagree; often in a way that insults or belittles the other person and their perspective. Sadly, that’s online discourse in a nutshell, but for whatever my words are worth, I would like to encourage my fellow basketball gamers to keep an open mind. I can attest to it being a rewarding approach.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: The Easiest Old Basketball Games To Get Into

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 29, 2024 12:58 pm

Monday Tip-Off: The Easiest Old Basketball Games To Get Into

If you’ve been around a while, reading my articles and listening to Dee and I on the NLSC Podcast, you’ll know that we’re enthusiastic advocates for retro basketball gaming. It’s not that we won’t play newer titles – and of course, the term “retro” is also subjective in that regard – but we love to revisit the classics, and encourage anyone who feels disappointed with modern games to do the same. Whether it’s a brief trip down memory lane or it becomes your primary means of hitting the virtual hardwood, there are many old basketball games that hold up and are still worth playing.

With that being said, some old basketball games are easier to get into than others. Needless to say, the further back you go, the more primitive the games, and everyone has a threshold as far as what’s too old to enjoy all these years later; at least on a regular basis. There’s also the matter of feasibility. You obviously need to be able to run the games, and that requires the necessary hardware, and sometimes technical savvy. There are ways to play pretty much any old basketball games that you can get your hands on, but some are definitely more accessible. To that end, here are my recommendations of where to begin if you’re interested in retro basketball gaming.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Hopes & Expectations for NBA 2K25

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 05, 2024 1:12 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Hopes & Expectations for NBA 2K25

The NBA 2K25 preview season tipped off with some great news for our community, namely the reveal that the New Gen version is coming to PC. Given that my new PC should be able to handle it on relatively high settings at least, it’s something that I’m personally able to look forward to. Of course, since I do own a PlayStation 5, I’ve already been able to experience the ninth generation version of NBA 2K. To that point though, as I’ve previously discussed, I haven’t been particularly thrilled with what is now the flagship version of the game.

Of course, as I’ve also recently stated, it’s important to keep an open mind. I don’t go into new releases hoping to be disappointed, or looking to be negative. I’d rather enjoy the game every year, even if I am keeping some old favourites in the rotation. Recent releases have left me feeling cynical and less optimistic about the future of the series though, and that’s difficult to shake. Indeed, during the past two preview seasons, I discussed how NBA 2K23 and NBA 2K24 might win me over, and re-reading what I wrote, not a whole lot has changed. So, with that being said, what are my hopes and expectations for NBA 2K25 as we await more previews, and its September release?
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: New Gen Of Modding, Old School Approach

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:09 pm

Monday Tip-Off: New Gen Of Modding, Old School Approach

The announcement that NBA 2K25 PC will be New Gen – i.e. a PlayStation 5/Xbox Series X port – was naturally greeted with enthusiasm in our community. It’s taken longer than we were hoping, but the PC will finally be receiving the flagship version of NBA 2K once again, with all of its enhancements and content. That of course includes MyNBA Eras and its associated rosters, which should provide a massive head start for retro season modding projects. It’s exciting, especially as it could well herald a new golden age in our modding community.

However, to ensure this new era of modding is as successful as it could and should be, we need to adopt the right attitude. To be frank, this new gen of modding requires an old school approach. That doesn’t mean we should get bogged down by old ideas and thus fail to innovate, but I believe that in some respects, our modding community has lost its way. We’ve drifted from the philosophies and values that allowed us to create fantastic works that everyone could enjoy. We’ve also grown so accustomed to being able to do anything and everything that we allow imperfections to be a roadblock. To that end, an old school approach will greatly benefit NBA 2K25 New Gen modding.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: The Lure of Online Team Play

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 19, 2024 1:10 pm

Monday Tip-Off: The Lure of Online Team Play

I haven’t bothered putting any serious effort into levelling up a MyPLAYER since NBA 2K21 on PlayStation 5. As I’ve explained in detail before, I was fed up with the grind, and weary of the toxicity in The Rec and NBA 2K’s online scene in general. After revisiting some old favourites and giving other older releases a second chance, I realised just how much fun I was missing out on, and quit the grind. Changing my basketball gaming habits has been so refreshing, and it’s obviously given me new topics to discuss as well. I left online team play behind, and I haven’t looked back.

Well…sort of. Kenny, Leo, and I gave 3-v-3 Pro-Am and The Rec another try in NBA 2K23 on PlayStation 5, and for the first month, we actually had some fun sessions! Of course, by Season 2, the community had figured out the meta and the hardcore online gamers had levelled up their MyPLAYERs, at which point the lack of matchmaking kept throwing us in there with super serious, souped-up opponents. It wasn’t a tough decision to leave it all behind again, and honestly, NBA 2K23 dropped out of my rotation entirely not long afterwards. However, that brief return and fond memories of NBA 2K16 and NBA 2K17 demonstrate that there’s still a lure to online team play.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: A Webmaster Looks At Forty

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 26, 2024 1:37 pm

Monday Tip-Off: A Webmaster Looks At Forty

Today marks 23 years since I took over running the NLSC! I feel like I say it on every anniversary, but it's been an extremely fun and interesting ride with its fair share of ups and downs. There have been some unpleasant moments and challenging times, but at the end of the day, I'm glad that I accepted Tim's offer to take the reins. While there are some things that I might've done differently given the benefit of hindsight, I'm proud of the work that I've done, grateful for the friendships I've made, and awed by some of the opportunities that I've had. I'll never regret taking the gig!

With that being said, 23 years is a long time to do anything, especially an online endeavour such as running a website. I didn't create the NLSC, but at this point, I've been maintaining it for about four times as long as our founders! Of course, neither I nor the site would be here without the work of the original NLSC trio, so I'll always give them credit for tipping things off way back in 1996. To that point though, unless you've been around since the black background days, you may not be aware of that era! Along with turning forty in about six weeks' time, it only further emphasises just how long I've been the NLSC's webmaster, and how quickly the years have gone by.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Previous

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard