Wayback Wednesday: Timberwolves Franchise in NBA Live 2003

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Shaq & His Superman Tattoo in Basketball Games

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:15 pm

Wayback Wednesday: Shaq & His Superman Tattoo in Basketball Games

Not only is Shaquille O'Neal one of the greatest players in the history of basketball, but he's one of the most prominent faces in basketball video games. By virtue of a 19-year NBA career and the inclusion of historical content, Shaq has appeared in at least one video game every year going back to 1993; a streak that rivals his "teammates in the NBA Finals" record! Of course, when it comes to depicting the Diesel in video games, accuracy demands that he's sporting his ink. On that note, as you're probably aware, Shaq has a prominent tattoo of the Superman logo on his left arm.

As the detail on player models improved, virtual Shaq likewise began sporting his Superman tattoo; or did he? As RayRay_953 pointed out in the Forum, there's an interesting history with Shaq's ink and its appearance in basketball video games over the years. Certain games have achieved a degree of accuracy with the tattoo, while others have taken some creative liberties with the design. I've scoured the games in my collection to bring you an overview of how different titles depicted Shaq with his Superman tattoo throughout the years. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: The Eco-Motion Engine

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:44 pm

Wayback Wednesday: The Eco-Motion Engine

Over the years, we've become more aware of - and concerned with - the technology under the hood of video games. The announcement that a game will be running on a specific engine may excite gamers, or disappoint them. Sometimes, we assume too much here. After all, the same engines have powered good games and bad games alike. Time, resources, and design choices that harness the power of the engine, are paramount. In-house solutions can also offer an advantage over widely-used engines such as Unreal, since they're custom-built for a title or series.

Perhaps the most famous basketball game engine is Eco-Motion. It debuted in the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One version of NBA 2K14, facilitating a landmark release in basketball gaming. Many basketball gamers remember it fondly, and are wistful that it was replaced by tech that many say hasn't felt nearly as good. What was it all about? Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Retro Teams You Can Create in NBA 2K14 PS4/X1

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:10 pm

Wayback Wednesday: Retro Teams You Can Create in NBA 2K14 PS4/X1

While I was on my extended retro kick with NBA 2K14 for PS4, I played several games with the retro teams. There aren't as many to choose from as in later games, and while inter-era games can be fun, I do like to re-create historical matchups. As such, after a while I tried my hand at creating some alternative retro teams. I've already discussed my fondness for minimalist modding, and given the content that's available and the lack of Create-a-Player in NBA 2K14 PS4/X1, it was a stimulating challenge to see how many new retro squads could be assembled.

To that point, there are some obvious limitations when you don't have the benefit of mods and external roster editing, to say nothing of having to destroy the lone custom roster save file. However, as long as you have a backup on hand - either via USB or cloud storage - you can mess around and add some new retro teams to NBA 2K14 PS4, and later restore a cleaner custom roster as necessary. If you're keen to find out how you can change up your retro gaming, let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: NBA Finals Series, Portrayed by NBA 2K14

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:19 pm

Wayback Wednesday: NBA Finals Series, Portrayed by NBA 2K14

The time I've spent with the PlayStation 4 version of NBA 2K14 is one of the longest retro basketball gaming kicks I've ever been on. It's been extremely rewarding to play through four full seasons in MyCAREER, leaving me with a save file jam packed with memories that I can pick up again whenever the mood strikes. I also played a number of exhibition games with retro teams and then-current 2014 rosters alike. In short, I was making up for not spending that much time with NBA 2K14 when it was released almost ten years ago.

Much like my extended NBA Live 10 kick in 2021, I've felt inspired to continue to explore NBA 2K14 through some Wayback Wednesday features. Today, it's a look at all of the NBA Finals series that can be portrayed through NBA 2K14 screenshots. As with my features looking back at the players in NBA Live 10 whose rookie jerseys were included as retros, as well as the makeshift classic teams that could be created and using it to reflect on "What If" scenarios, it was an interesting challenge to see just how many NBA Finals series I could represent using NBA 2K14. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: 11 Historical Screenshots in NBA 2K14

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:28 pm

Wayback Wednesday: 11 Historical Screenshots in NBA 2K14

When I was capturing screenshots for the feature re-creating NBA Finals matchups with the classic teams in NBA 2K14, I ended up replicating some other scenarios as well. As I said in last week's feature, for me a big part of being on a retro basketball gaming kick is to get as much as I can out of the game, including messing around with rosters, classics teams, and whatnot. Once again, even though there are problems with the accuracy of the retro squads, I still enjoy putting them out there on the virtual hardwood, and playing out some historical matchups.

Originally, these were going to be bonus screenshots in last week's feature. With twenty-nine NBA Finals series being represented however, including these screens as well would've made it an even longer article. To that point, I'm spinning them off into their own feature, as I had a blast getting these historical screenshots in NBA 2K14, and want to share them with everyone as I reminisce about league history. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: My 1996 Roster for NBA Live 2001

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:34 pm

Wayback Wednesday: My 1996 Roster for NBA Live 2001

Whenever I've contemplated making a retro season mod, the 1996 campaign is always the first to come to mind. The reason is simple: not only is it a memorable year in NBA history, but it's also the season when my basketball fandom truly blossomed. Revisiting the 1996 season, whether by watching real highlights and recaps or via the virtual hardwood, always brings back such fond memories of that joyful time of fully falling in love with basketball. My nostalgia was already firmly entrenched by the early 2000s, leading me to create a 1996 roster for NBA Live 2004.

However, it wasn't my first attempt at bringing the 1996 season into what was then a new generation of basketball games. It was also far from the first retro roster for NBA Live, as the updates for NBA Live 95 and NBA Live 96 PC had famously included rosters for earlier years as well as the current season. Looking back, it wasn't the most complete retro project, but I still have fond memories of making the 1996 roster for NBA Live 2001. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Virtual Stadium Technology

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:21 pm

Wayback Wednesday: Virtual Stadium Technology

In our desire to see games and gaming technology constantly improve, we obsess over specifications. This isn't a new phenomenon, of course. One only needs to look back at the console wars of the 90s, where the number of bits and jargon such as Sega's "blast processing" were thrown back and forth in the eternal fanboy debates. These days, we're also aware of the most popular game engines, and the use of technology that we hold in high esteem is often celebrated. We also speculate on how it could help the games we're interested in. "If only NBA Live had used Frostbite!"

It's interesting to see how the engines and tech of different basketball games have been hyped through the years. Eco-Motion may not have lasted, but it was definitely well-received in NBA 2K14 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Conversely, although EA Sports' IGNITE engine worked out well for other titles, it didn't make NBA Live better than its predecessors. The Playmaker Engine in NBA Live 13 sounded good on paper, but the game shaped up so poorly that it was cancelled. And then, there's NBA Live's Virtual Stadium Technology. What did that entail? Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: The Missing Rookies of NBA Live 2002

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:25 pm

Wayback Wednesday: The Missing Rookies of NBA Live 2002

Official roster updates are something that we take for granted these days, especially on console. As long as we've had modding tools on PC, adding missing rookies and other players - eventually complete with their proper faces - has usually been a fairly straightforward task. Of course, there's always been value in players being added through official updates. It allows them to appear in the default rosters, and in some cases utilise correct audio. They also don't stand out from original players, as was the case in older games with more primitive Create-a-Player functionality.

Since playing with the new rookie class is an appealing prospect every year, it's disappointing when a noteworthy draftee is absent. In older titles, that could arguably be more frustrating than the absence of holdouts such as Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley. At least in their case, developers were unable to license them. With missing rookies, their absence came down to simply not being signed to an NBA contract in time. Funnily enough, NBA Live 2002 did include MJ as an active player due to his comeback with the Washington Wizards, while a handful of prominent rookies were missing instead. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Revisiting NBA Live 2003

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:49 pm

Wayback Wednesday: Revisiting NBA Live 2003

I've profiled NBA Live 2003 in a number of articles now. In addition to the in-depth retrospectives for the 20th and 25th anniversaries of the NBA Live series, I've also taken a look back at Freestyle Control. I've reminisced about the Courtside Comedy Cutscenes, a myth about the gameplay style settings, the soundtrack, and even my attempts to replicate a move seen in the game's intro. In short, not only did I spend hours playing and modding NBA Live 2003 when it was new, but I've often gone back and revisited it years later. As such, this may seem like a well-trodden path.

However, I do believe that I have some new things to say after revisiting NBA Live 2003 more recently. We've also reached the game's own 20th anniversary, and with my twenty year high school reunion right around the corner, it's another game that I've been reflecting upon. This won't be an in-depth review along the lines of my previous retrospectives, and I do still stand by observations I've made in the past. Nevertheless, even though I played it frequently upon release compared to games like NBA 2K14, NBA Live 06 for Xbox 360, and NBA Live 10, I appreciate NBA Live 2003 far more after revisiting it in 2022. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Revisiting the NBA Live 95 Rosters

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:23 pm

Wayback Wednesday: Revisiting the NBA Live 95 Rosters

The interactive almanac aspect of basketball video games doesn't begin years later when we start going wayback. Sure, that's when we're reminded of strange stints, forgotten returns, and other roster trivia. However, from the moment a basketball game becomes one of our favourites and we spend countless hours with it, its rosters are intertwined with our fond memories on the virtual hardwood. We remember the players on the team that we played with most often, as well as the players on the opposing squads that we faced in our most memorable, challenging, and epic games.

Those memories come flooding back when we revisit a title. However, depending on whether you spent time with the PC or console version of NBA Live 95 - or indeed, if you played both - you'll recall two very different rosters. While the console version of NBA Live 95 featured final 1993-1994 season rosters, the PC release was updated to include the Class of 1994 rookies, as well as player movement accurate as of February 1995. As such, each captures its own snapshot of a memorable era in NBA history. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: NBA 2K13 Retrospective

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:15 pm

Wayback Wednesday: NBA 2K13 Retrospective

As a 90s kid who grew up with NBA Live, that series has been the focus of several of my retrospectives. In addition to Wayback Wednesday features, I've also covered every NBA Live as part of our 25th Anniversary celebrations. I haven't celebrated NBA 2K's milestones in the same way, mostly because while I do consider myself a fan of the series now, I don't have the same nostalgia for and experience with it going right back to the beginning of my basketball gaming. Games like NBA 2K14 and even NBA 2K11 have only become some of my all-time favourites in retrospect.

However, there are NBA 2K titles that I've played enthusiastically from launch, and am nostalgic for. Indeed, this year marks the tenth anniversary of the first 2K title that I was hooked on from day one: NBA 2K13. While the cancellation of NBA Live 13 was another blow for EA Sports, it opened up an opportunity for me to expand my basketball gaming horizons, and Visual Concepts didn't disappoint. Even putting aside my personal affinity for NBA 2K13, I believe it's one of the strongest releases in the NBA 2K series. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: The All-Time Teams in NBA 2K

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:04 pm

Wayback Wednesday: The All-Time Teams in NBA 2K

In many respects, NBA 2K18 was a turning point for the series. MyCAREER added The Neighborhood, a concept that has since evolved into The City. While it wowed gamers when it was unveiled, it's unfortunately taken the mode in a direction that has less and less relevance to basketball. It also introduced a new motion system that in the opinion of many NBA 2K gamers - and I'm among them - is inferior to games that came before it. Paying for haircuts, a MyPLAYER character who gave up basketball to be a DJ, B-Fresh...in short, NBA 2K18 isn't one of the series' strongest releases!

At the same time, it unveiled a welcome addition to the series' complement of retro content: the All-Time Teams. It's all too easy to dismiss the All-Time Teams as one of the weaker ideas for bonus squads in NBA 2K, merely combining already-licensed historical players with current stars. As a concept, it's nothing we haven't already done with roster mods, going right back to the early days of NBA Live on PC. However, All-Time Teams are an important expansion of the retro content in NBA 2K, even if they aren't as exciting as specific classic teams. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby RayRay_953 on Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:09 pm

At its core, the all-time teams can be considered a welcome addition for both additional players accessible outside of MyTEAM, or to simply overwrite/use for another team (as pointed out in the article). For me, there are several aspects of these teams that are both great and disappointing. Some of the legends included can be a great historical lesson which includes some lesser-known legends like Phil Chenier, Richie Guerin, Bob Love, and Wayne Embry to name a few. I do wish 2K could get the rights to more legends that NBA Live had in their older games that are deserving of a spot on these teams (some really old-school legends that come to mind include Carl Braun, Paul Arizin, George Yardley, Bobby Wanzer (he actually has a hidden cyberface for the past few 2K installments now). Of course, it's disappointing that we won't see guys like Barkley or Miller featured in the game, but there are still many players that have yet to have been included for an unknown reason even if they are in the NBRPA. One thing that I found cool was that they finally added Mel Daniels to the All-Time Pacers in NBA 2K22 after being a MyTEAM exclusive since 20 (I asked a question about why he wasn't there before a while back for the podcast!)

The All-Time teams in 2K have come a long way from the debut of the decade teams in 2K1. I believe ESPN NBA Basketball was the first game in the 2K series to introduce individual All-Time teams for the 76ers, Celtics, Lakers, and Sonics as bonus teams to unlock. Like their current counterparts, they consisted of current players and legends, but the only uniforms you could select were simplified variants of their then-current uniforms. I also remember that Barkley was in 2K6, 2K also lost the rights to Shawn Kemp and he was absent from the All-Time Sonics team that year (which moved Spencer Haywood to the starting PF).
RayRay_953

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:56 am

Barkley's appearance in NBA 2K6 does definitely feel random, considering his understandable stance on compensating older Legends in return. I need to spend more time with those earlier 2Ks, as I missed out on playing with some of those squads. I'm more familiar with NBA Live's All-Decade/Decade All-Stars, which unfortunately fell by the wayside. I really hope that we get some more of those historical players outside of MyTEAM one way or the other, but given the likely reason for their exclusivity, it's probably a long shot.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Playing With Defunct & Relocated Teams

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:08 pm

Wayback Wednesday: Playing With Defunct & Relocated Teams

If it isn't obvious from producing a weekly Wayback Wednesday feature, as well as playing old favourites with Dee4Three on Parsec and discussing them on the NLSC Podcast, I love revisiting basketball games from multiple eras, and bringing them back into my gaming rotation. Sometimes I get on an extended kick with a game, as is the case with NBA 2K14 for PlayStation 4, while other titles I just like to throw on for an exhibition or two. Whether I'm playing solo or with Dee, those exhibition games always raise an important question: who to play with, and against?

Obviously, our favourite teams - the Chicago Bulls and Boston Celtics - will always be an option. Of course, there are some Bulls and Celtics teams throughout time that aren't as fun to play with, while other teams are far more intriguing. However, more and more, I find myself being drawn to the defunct, relocated, or re-branded teams in older basketball video games. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Portraits in NBA Live 95 & 96 PC

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:25 pm

Wayback Wednesday: Portraits in NBA Live 95 & 96 PC

Although our fondest basketball gaming memories come from what we accomplished on the virtual hardwood, our nostalgia encompasses everything about a title: graphics, sound effects, music, and the overall style. We fondly recall the smallest details, from the authenticity of Steve Nash lying on the floor in NBA Live 10 to Terry Mills and Oliver Miller having the same ratings in the PC version of NBA Jam Tournament Edition. When you've spent enough time with an old favourite to know it back to front, the most obscure details and trivia are embedded in your memories.

I'm not just trying to wax poetic with navel-gazing fluff here. I do honestly believe that, and it's why I not only revisit games to produce Wayback Wednesday content, but also for my own enjoyment. It's also why I don't just do retrospective reviews, but also cover specific features and concepts in-depth. However, I'll admit that it might seem like a flimsy justification to talk about - of all things - the portraits in NBA Live 95 and 96 PC! They are indeed an aesthetic element that are part and parcel of my nostalgia for those titles though, so let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: The First Friday Five

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:44 pm

Wayback Wednesday: The First Friday Five

As I always note in my introduction for Wayback Wednesday, one of the intended purposes of this weekly feature is to republish old articles, usually with some added commentary. Funnily enough, that was actually the subject of the very first Wayback Wednesday, as I posted an article that was no longer available on the site due to us switching content management systems. However, much like Jerry West winning the first NBA Finals MVP despite losing the series, this didn't set a precedent! I've mostly opted for retrospectives and other game-oriented features over republishing articles.

Honestly, I do think that's the right call, as it's the optimal use of a weekly feature such as Wayback Wednesday. It's handy to leave the door open to republishing lost articles and generally digging into our own archives, but I believe that basketball video games should always be the star of the show, so to speak. With that being said, since it is ten years to the day that I posted my first edition of The Friday Five, I'm reflecting on the beginning of my longest-running NLSC feature, as well as the topic that it covered. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: 2K Pro-Am in NBA 2K16

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:11 pm

Wayback Wednesday: 2K Pro-Am in NBA 2K16

There was a time when I was very reluctant to play online. Technically that refers to the present day as well, as I no longer find the scene appealing in NBA 2K. To that point though, for a while I was far more enthusiastic about online play. I'd dabbled with it in the past, but was generally content to play franchise modes, or stick to the NBA side of MyCAREER. However, when Kenny invited Arcane and I to play 2K Pro-Am in NBA 2K16 along with community members The X, Valor, and zzcoolj21, we were hooked. NLSC THRILLHO was born!

Although some improvements were made to 2K Pro-Am following its introduction in NBA 2K16, I'd still say that the original incarnation of the mode is one of the best. The novelty of it being a fresh new experience certainly contributes to my nostalgia for it, but many of the changes to MyCAREER and the online scene since then have taken it in a disappointing direction. Once again though, that first version of 2K Pro-Am in NBA 2K16 was a blast, and that also carried over into NBA 2K17. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Revisiting NBA Live 2001

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:46 pm

Wayback Wednesday: Revisiting NBA Live 2001

Thanks to my efforts in amassing a large collection of basketball video games, I have a plethora of classic (and not-so-classic) titles that I'm yet to cover here in Wayback Wednesday. One of my goals for 2023 is to finally get around to games that have been on the To Do List for years, including the NBA Street series. However, there are titles that I've changed my mind about upon revisiting them with fresh eyes. When I've experienced a significant change of heart, it only feels appropriate that I follow up with an updated retrospective.

As I've previously discussed, I've developed a greater appreciation for games such as NBA Live 06 for Xbox 360, NBA Live 10, and NBA 2K14 for PlayStation 4/Xbox One. Last year, I reflected on how my stance on NBA Live 2003 had softened. While I don't completely disagree with my prior criticisms, I can now find more enjoyment in it as a retro gaming experience. I can say the same for NBA Live 2001 PC, which I ended up revisiting while feeling nostalgic ahead of my twenty year high school reunion. Similar to NBA Live 2003, it's a game I've had mixed opinions about over the years. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: When The Lights Are Brightest in NBA 2K20

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:10 pm

Wayback Wednesday: When The Lights Are Brightest in NBA 2K20

Following NBA 2K18's ridiculous MyCAREER tale starring a prospect who quit basketball to be a DJ, finally makes it to the NBA following a streetball tournament, and is flanked by his annoying best friend/roommate B-Fresh, NBA 2K19 featured a much better written story. "The Way Back" not only boasted impressive production values from a cinematic standpoint, but also attempted to spice up the journey with mini-games and other interactive elements. It wasn't perfect, but it stood out as one of the better MyCAREER stories, and a tough act to follow.

To that end, Visual Concepts collaborated with Maverick Carter and LeBron James on the story for NBA 2K20's MyCAREER, "When The Lights Are Brightest". Indeed, Carter, LeBron, and their production company, Springhill Entertainment, are credited on the cover as executive producers for MyCAREER. The story has been shelved for good following the shutdown of the NBA 2K20 servers, since MyCAREER is no longer playable. With that being said, what was the story, was it any good, and are we missing out since we're now unable to revisit it? Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Freestyle Air in NBA Live

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:09 pm

Wayback Wednesday: Freestyle Air in NBA Live

The entire history of basketball video games provides us with countless examples of developers striving for deeper controls. From the addition of sprint and steal buttons, to right stick dribbling and advanced shot types, the games have evolved to give us more and more control over the action. In the early to mid 2000s in particular though, we saw major additions and frequent changes as developers attempted to implement mechanics that were long-term solutions, or could pave the way for them. Dual analog gamepads becoming the standard peripheral also freed up buttons for new functions.

When NBA Live 2003 introduced us to right stick dribbling with Freestyle Control, it was indeed a revolution. The ability to perform specific moves on cue instead of just having to hope for the best with our press of a generic dribble moves button changed basketball gaming forever. However, while it was vital that we had more control over fundamentals such as dribbling, stealing, and stance, we also needed to direct the action when we left the virtual hardwood, and that's where Freestyle Air comes in. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Our First Wishlist & How Far Games Have Come

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:14 pm

Wayback Wednesday: Our First Wishlist & How Far Games Have Come

On February 6th 1997, our founders submitted a Wishlist for NBA Live 98 on behalf of the community. It's fun to look back at those suggestions now, and see just how many of them have been implemented in subsequent games. NBA Live was able to grant several of those wishes, and as NBA 2K became the premier brand in sim basketball titles, it also introduced features that once seemed like pipe dreams. Of course, going down that Wishlist, we can also see some ideas that unfortunately fell by the wayside after debuting, as well as some suggestions that weren't so great.

Since Monday marked the 26th(!) anniversary of that very first Wishlist, I thought it'd be fun to go through it section by section, discussing what did eventually make it into video games, what still hasn't, and in hindsight, what weren't such great ideas. I believe it will demonstrate that feedback is (or certainly was) never in vain, as well as how far basketball video games have come as far as content, features, and mechanics. It may not always have been as we originally envisioned, but our wishes have indeed come true. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: The Final NBA Live Games on PS1

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:38 pm

Wayback Wednesday: The Final NBA Live Games on PS1

The launch of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S has resulted in an interesting situation as far as multi-generation support is concerned. Obviously, the ninth gen consoles are receiving the flagship version of NBA 2K as far as technical innovation and features. However, the eighth gen version - which is also the one ported to PC - hasn't been completely left behind. With NBA 2K23 in particular, 2K made a point of trying to implement as many features from the new gen version into the prior gen release. There also continues to be cross-generation support in MyTEAM.

Looking back through decades of console launches and multi-generation releases for basketball video games, outmoded platforms haven't always received this kind of love and attention. It helps that nowadays the gap isn't quite so wide, and the architecture is far more similar to the previous gen. The limited availability of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S has also left many gamers stuck on the previous generation longer than planned. When it comes to the final NBA Live games for PS1 back in the day, they didn't stack up to their new gen successors quite as impressively. At the same time, they had some strong points of their own. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Webrings & Yahoo! GeoCities

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:15 pm

Wayback Wednesday: Webrings & Yahoo! GeoCities

Want to make me feel old? It's getting much easier the closer that I edge to forty, but an effective method would be to ask "Andrew, what do you mean by webrings, or Yahoo! GeoCities?" Yes, it's a sign that I'm getting older, and that I've been online for a long time, and how much the internet has changed, that there are people who will wonder what I'm talking about when I mention Yahoo! GeoCities and webrings! In an era where it's all about algorithms and SEO, with a number of platforms for content creation and self-promotion, they're antiquated concepts indeed.

Still, like many things from the early days of the basketball gaming community that don't need to make a comeback, they're nevertheless nostalgic for those of us who remember them. At the same time, I'm also grateful that better solutions have been developed, because it certainly was the Stone Age of the World Wide Web. So, what's the deal with webrings and Yahoo! GeoCities? Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: The Silly Rosters for NBA Live 95

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:25 pm

Wayback Wednesday: The Silly Rosters for NBA Live 95

From the moment I discovered the NLSC - then the NBA Live Series Center - way back in August 1997, I was enthralled with the work that our founders were doing. As is the case with basically everyone who's joined our community over the years, I was utterly amazed at what was possible with modding; even in those early games. After trying to update NBA Live 96's rosters with only the in-game functions for a year or so before that, the possibilities now seemed endless. You're telling me that my created Michael Jordan can have full bio data, and that I can overwrite players? Incredible!

The work that Lutz and Tim were doing with those original NLSC updates inspired me to try my hand at the hobby, which led to me creating my own site, and ultimately still being a part of the community over twenty years later. Those roster packs were more than just current season updates, and when I picked up NBA Live 95 PC a year or so later, I was finally able to mess around with Lutz's rosters on top of dabbling with some work of my own. A project from that pack that I've mentioned a few times before but haven't covered yet is the Silly Rosters. It's a product of its era, and the early days of our modding community. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard