The Friday Five: 5 Things Developers Got In Trouble For

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Wiki and other site related issues and content here. Site and community announcements are also posted in this section.

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Outdated Details in Basketball Games (Part 2)

Postby [Q] on Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:20 pm

In NBA Hangtime SNES version, they had updated color schemes for Seattle, Houston, Detroit, Vancouver, and Toronto. For arcade and N64/PS1 versions they did not and they had Vancouver/Toronto colors swapped
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:02 pm

Really? That might be up there with Kevin Edwards using Blue Edwards' portrait as far as things I've managed to overlook for more than 20 years if that's the case!
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:38 pm

Yeah it was definitely something I noticed back then as a kid as I had the Prima guide for the game that showed the rosters and team colors for the "next gen" versions

It was also how I knew Kobe was in the game but not in my SNES version which was always disappointing
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:18 pm

Sounds like I've got another Wayback Wednesday to write, then.
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Best NBA CAPs in NBA 2K20's Neighborhood

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:45 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Best NBA CAPs in NBA 2K20's Neighborhood

Since the introduction of Park, 2K Pro-Am, and ultimately The Neighborhood, it's been interesting to see what kind of players people create. I don't mean their build or Archetype, though that's obviously an interesting discussion as well. I'm talking about the appearance gamers choose for their MyPLAYERs. Whether it's through the face scanning capabilities or expanded face creation tools, we're invited to insert ourselves into the game. While a number of gamers do indeed choose to do this, it seems that many prefer to create an original avatar, or in some cases, run with an NBA lookalike.

I would suggest that most gamers choose custom faces and NBA CAPs for the same reason that I gave up on face scans: the functionality is cumbersome, buggy, and takes too long to inform you that a scan has failed. Even when a scan has been successful according to the app, the game will often inform you that there's a problem, with the condescending error message "try again and play close attention to the instructions"; instructions, mind you, that along with any troubleshooting info, do not exist. It's no wonder people prefer to role play as a goofy avatar, or as an NBA player. Some of the NBA CAPs are quite good, with these five ranking among the best I've seen so far.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Mods That Might Make a Comeback

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:40 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Mods That Might Make a Comeback

It's funny how modding trends have changed over the years. I remember the days when we were very limited in what we could do with the early NBA Live games, but still made the most of the tools at our disposal. By the end of NBA Live's run on PC, we'd created a wide variety of impressive projects as a community. When we took up NBA 2K modding after the series arrived on PC, we found ourselves back at square one for a time. Fortunately, new tools were made, new techniques were discovered, and great works have followed, spanning two generations of PC ports.

There are some mods that we don't see as much of anymore, for various reasons. Times change, tastes change, and certain things are either no longer possible, or not as easy as they used to be. With that said, as times change, some things end up coming back into style. What's old is new again, as the saying goes, and I believe there are some mods that might end up making a comeback in the near future. Perhaps I'm wide of the mark on these predictions; I may be putting too much stock into some recent releases, or I may be projecting because I find these ideas intriguing. All the same, I'd like to put the ideas out there. If these mods do make a comeback, so much the better!

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Odd Aspects of 2K's Early Career Modes

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:44 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Odd Aspects of 2K's Early Career Modes

TV Tropes enthusiasts will no doubt be familiar with the term "Early Installment Weirdness". To quote the laconic definition, it refers the phenomenon of "first releases of franchises that include very surprising differences in specific tropes or even the absence of a trope that later became predominant in that work". To put it another way, the first season of a TV show or the early titles in a video game series may have elements that were changed or phased out, retroactively making them look very strange and out of place compared to what came afterwards.

Being a genre that has evolved over a number of years and generations of hardware, basketball games are no exception. Certain controls and gameplay mechanics, and even features of the staple game modes, have drastically changed as concepts have evolved and technology has improved. Of course, less pleasing developments such as the introduction of microtransactions have also fuelled changes that leave us wishing we could go back to the old days, and the old ways. The single player career mode in NBA 2K - originally called My Player, now branded MyCAREER - features some prime examples of aspects that now seem quite odd. Let's take a look at five of them!

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Things Developers Got In Trouble For

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:25 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Things Developers Got In Trouble For

Something that a lot of basketball gamers don't seem to understand is that when it comes to licensed titles, developers are under certain restrictions that are imposed by the licenser. Most people understand that certain former players can't be included because they haven't granted the use of their likeness, though you'll get the occasional person who'll angrily claim that EA Sports or Visual Concepts have "forgotten" about those historical players. The NBA also isn't really big on modding because of the way it skirts such licensing, which is why we don't have any official modding tools.

There are plenty of other examples of these restrictions, such as an inability to include unsportsmanlike technical fouls, or fights beyond a bit of post-whistle shoving that's out of our control. Bottom line, if it's in NBA Live or NBA 2K, then the NBA itself has given it the green light. There have been a few occasions where developers have tried to sneak something into the games, and subsequently upset the NBA or another license holder in the process. These incidents have usually resulted in a reprimand, but on a couple of occasions, lawsuits have been involved. Here are five things that basketball game developers did that landed them in trouble, if only temporarily.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Previous

Return to NLSC Hub