Wayback Wednesday: Retro Team Additions in NBA 2K16

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Wiki and other site related issues and content here. Site and community announcements are also posted in this section.

Re: Wayback Wednesday: How We Used to Create Rosters

Postby [Q] on Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:19 am

Andrew wrote:Wayback Wednesday: How We Used to Create Rosters

Back when we were the NBA Live Series Center, our founders described the site as "the official home of the Roster Patches and the NBA Live Editors for Windows". In those days, there were no official rosters pushed through by EA Sports, and limited in-game editing facilities. Modding existed before the NLSC, and the PC versions of NBA Live for that matter, but it's fair to say that the efforts of Tim, Lutz, and Brien were instrumental in bringing the hobby to the virtual hardwood. It certainly blew my mind when I discovered the NLSC, and I was inspired to make my own rosters.

Of course, even with the editors that our founders created, it wasn't always easy. I've talked about the technical aspects of editing those early games, and some of the tools that made it possible. In this week's Wayback Wednesday, I'd like to reflect on the process of making rosters; in other words, how we found the necessary information that made those projects possible. It's a process that's become a lot easier as online resources have expanded, but back then, we had to hunt around a little more. Let's take a look back...way back...

The NBA.com transactions page was really my only source of information but I would record the NBA drafts and sit there and write all the draftees' info down and create them in the game
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Reimagining NBA's Greatest

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:30 pm

Oh for sure, we'd get info any way we could, and fudge it when we couldn't find enough info! Like I said, I look back on those efforts fondly and with some degree of pride, especially the retro rosters because of the creative ways we had to find information. It's so much better now, though.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Scottie Pippen in Basketball Games

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:09 am

Wayback Wednesday: Scottie Pippen in Basketball Games

Chicago Bulls legend and Hall of Famer Scottie Pippen turns 54 today. Incidentally, September 25th is a birthday that he shares with Mark Hamill, Will Smith, and my friend Courtney (Happy 30th Birthday, Courtney!). As you may know, my all-time favourite player is Michael Jordan, but Scottie Pippen is a close second, being MJ's teammate on six Bulls championship squads in the 90s. I have many fond memories of that dynamic duo - dubbed "The Dobermans" by Johnny Bach due to their tenacity at both ends of the court - which could fill several Wayback Wednesday articles.

However, we obviously focus on basketball video games here at the NLSC. To that end, as it's Pip's birthday and he's one of my all-time favourite players - as well as one of the greatest players in the history of basketball - it seems only appropriate that I take a look back at his legacy on the virtual hardwood. In my opinion, he has a rather interesting history in that regard, given how basketball video games were developed during his prime, and considering his standing among the NBA greats. Let's take a look back...way back...
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:26 am

Scottie was so dominant in Hangtime!
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:55 pm

In lieu of MJ, he was indeed The Man!

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Affiliations in MyPARK

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:12 pm

Wayback Wednesday: Affiliations in MyPARK

The Playground has never been my main mode of choice - Pro-Am is more my speed when it comes to NBA 2K online - but I've had some fun with it over the years. More to the point, it has become one of the most popular modes in the game, and through the introduction of The Neighborhood, a major part of the main MyCAREER hub. From its introduction as The Park in NBA 2K14 to its rebranding as MyPARK and subsequently The Playground, the mode has gone from an online offshoot of NBA 2K's career mode to its own fully fleshed out and immersive experience.

As much focus as it receives and as popular as it is, however, not all Playground gamers are completely satisfied with its evolution. One aspect that was left behind in the MyPARK era is affiliations. It's not uncommon to see Playground gamers asking for the return of MyPARK affiliations in response to 2K's Tweets, though as of NBA 2K20, it's yet to make a return. What was it, and why was it so popular? Let's take a look back...way back...

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Retro Team Additions in NBA 2K16

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:04 am

Wayback Wednesday: Retro Team Additions in NBA 2K16

After The Jordan Challenge and NBA's Greatest established retro teams as a staple of NBA 2K's content, a few years went by before we saw any new additions. A handful of players disappeared from and later reappeared in the rosters as 2K lost and regained the rights to their likenesses, but the selection of historical squads remained the same, outside of the 1992 Dream Team appearing in NBA 2K13. Without a dedicated mode, it seemed as though we weren't going to see any new additions to the roster of retro NBA teams anytime soon.

Fortunately, we were proven wrong. As the preview season for NBA 2K16 loomed, an episode of NBA 2KTV revealed three of the twelve new retro teams that would be featured in the game. Not only was it a promising sign that retro content wouldn't be abandoned moving forward, but the choice of teams set a precedent that allowed it to expand beyond the scope of the squads added for The Jordan Challenge and NBA's Greatest. Let's take a look back...way back...

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Previous

Return to NLSC Hub