Monday Tip-Off: My Experiences Updating NBA 2K11 (So Far)

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Wiki and other site related issues and content here. Site and community announcements are also posted in this section.

Re: Monday Tip-Off: The MyCAREER Cinematic Universe

Postby JaoSming on Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:25 am

*cough*

*cough*
Opinions are my own.
Right Click Loop
phpBB [video]

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8ozxhwwmz4LJzpGAj22T5qa0ZVFBJ3yw

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: Monday Tip-Off: The MyCAREER Cinematic Universe

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:16 am

Ugh.

NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Making Peace with Simulated Games

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:05 pm

September 24th, 2018: Making Peace with Simulated Games

While there have been changes in my life since I started running the NLSC as a 17 year old back in 2001, I can still make ample time to play video games, basketball or otherwise. I don't have a family, so in that regard, I do have fewer responsibilities than other members of our community. However, like anyone with a day job and a social life, I do have to ration my time accordingly. Video games are something that I have to fit in between being a sole trader, exercising, catching up with friends, and of course, my responsibilities both running and creating content for the NLSC.

To that end, as I look to make a return to franchise gaming this year, I must get used to the idea of simulating games. Should I back off a little on my intention to take a break from career modes, I'll have to further ration my time, and that means a decent portion of games - possibly in both modes - will need to be simulated. On the surface, it may seem odd that this is something I need to get accustomed to. The simulation function has been available in season modes for over two decades, so it's hardly a concept that I'm unfamiliar with. However, it is an approach that would mark a change in the way that I play basketball video games.
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Toxicity in the Basketball Gaming Community

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:40 pm

October 1st, 2018: Toxicity in the Basketball Gaming Community

Yes, cranky old Andrew has something else to complain about today! I mean, the last four Monday Tip-Off articles were all about having fun with basketball video games, so it's about time I grumble again, right? In all seriousness, this is a topic that I feel needs to be addressed, because I believe it's an area where collectively, we can do a lot better: toxicity among basketball gamers. Now, there is a certain amount of irony in discussing the matter in that it's being negative about negativity, but it's important that we do take a look at what's happening, and aim for a constructive solution.

Before we begin, let's address the obvious point: the situation is hardly unique to the basketball gaming community, or the World Wide Web at large. Many blogs, videos, comics, and social media posts have been made about the toxicity that all too often permeates online culture. That in itself doesn't make it right or a desirable state of affairs however, and it certainly doesn't mean that we can't take steps to change our attitudes and behaviour. I've been a content creator and part of the online basketball gaming community for over twenty years now, and I've noticed an increased amount of toxicity in that time. Worst of all, in some ways, developers are pandering to it.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Toxicity in the Basketball Gaming Community

Postby cavs4872 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:16 pm

I had to steal that thumbnail for my profile pic. :wink:
cavs4872
All I Do is Ball

Re: Monday Tip-Off: A Tale of Two Face Scans

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:53 pm

October 8th, 2018: A Tale of Two Face Scans

Hey, do you think by using the words "Two Face" in the title of this week's Tip-Off, I'll draw a few hits from people Googling the iconic Batman villain? Probably not, but if for some reason that is how you got here, I'm afraid I'm going to have to disappoint you. Likewise, if you're looking for articles about the colloquialism "two-faced" or a certain psychological concept, you've hit upon the wrong article. Of course, if you do happen to enjoy basketball video games, then I certainly invite you to stick around and take in our content!

With that being said, basketball gaming is, as always, the topic of the day. On this occasion, I'm talking about my different experiences performing face scans in NBA Live 19 and NBA 2K19. While it is my intention to dial back my involvement with the career modes this year, I was always going to check them out. Since the option is available, I also tried to scan my face in for both my One Player and MyPLAYER. There were moments of frustration attempting both face scans, but one game yielded far better results than the other. Without any further musing about drawing in a few unsuspecting people via the SEO, I present a Tale of Two Face Scans.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby WithAuthority on Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:04 am

Great content
Collector & Trader of vintage NBA games, DVD, and memorabilia
WithAuthority
ABL Commish

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:00 pm

Thank you!

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:13 pm

Andrew wrote:September 24th, 2018: Making Peace with Simulated Games

When it comes to season and franchise gaming, I’ve prided myself on playing every game on the schedule; regular season and Playoffs. It’s generally been my goal to play every game – with twelve minute quarters, no less

Always thought I'm a weirdo for always wanting to play the full 48, good to know I'm not the only one.

My goal in franchise mode has always been to see how many seasons I could play, most seasons I ever did was 30+ with 2K10. The rest were usualy 5-10 seasons.

Only playing against conference rivals for that playoff spot/position or the current top teams and simming the rest.
The always plays for me are the 1st game of the season, 1st home game of the season, and ASG even if I don't have players selected.
Playoff format was play-sim-play... so if there ever was a game 7 I'd get to play it.

I've also been petty like David Robinson, if one of my players was in contention of leading a statistical category just before the season ends, fuck simming against a lottery team in the last game of the season, imma play that shit.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:05 pm

Likewise good to know I'm not the only one who's been obsessed with playing the full 48. I like that approach for getting through multiple seasons, I think it's time I did more of that.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby cavs4872 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:42 am

Any thoughts of doing a story again, or is that in the past?
cavs4872
All I Do is Ball

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:35 am

I couldn't rule it out, but no plans at the moment.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: My Experiences Updating NBA 2K11 (So Far)

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:46 pm

October 15th, 2018: My Experiences Updating NBA 2K11 (So Far)

As I discussed in a previous article, during the offseason I found that I'd developed a new interest in getting back into modding. One project that quite appealed to me was the prospect of finally getting more involved with NBA 2K modding by updating the rosters for an old favourite, namely NBA 2K11. After posting a teaser video, I've been working on the project whenever I can find the time. It remains a work in progress, and unfortunately with the 2019 season set to tip off this week, it's unlikely that the roster will be ready in time for opening night.

That's mostly because other responsibilities have gotten in the way here and there, but as it's my first proper attempt at a roster update for NBA 2K11, it also continues to be a learning experience. It has been enjoyable so far though, and it's been interesting to compare and contrast the process with making roster updates for NBA Live PC, as I did for many years. To that end, I figured that I'd share a few thoughts on the process so far, and at the same time, provide a status report on the project. With any luck, it won't be too far into the new season before I can release rosters for both the 2018 and 2019 campaigns.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: My Experiences Updating NBA 2K11 (So Far)

Postby WithAuthority on Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:46 pm

2k11: The best basketball game of all time
Collector & Trader of vintage NBA games, DVD, and memorabilia
WithAuthority
ABL Commish

Previous

Return to NLSC Hub