How to change spoken player names

Talk about NBA 2K13 here.

How to change spoken player names

Postby arkaeyn on Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:00 pm

Hi--I'm currently trying to figure out why certain players in the NBA Forever mod, specifically Connie Hawkins, are having their names spoken as "Allen Iverson" most of the time and their real name only some of the time. With the editors I can use, I'm stuck, but an expert or someone with Reditor might be able to let me know how this works.

Here's my original message and its two updates:

--------------------------

Hey all - does anyone have an idea of why players are being called Allen Iverson, and how possible it might be to fix?

While playing with Connie Hawkins I noticed that he was never called "Connie" but was occasionally called "Hawkins." The PA announced ALWAYS called him Iverson, even occasionally "The Answer," suggesting that the game is reading him as the specific player Allen Iverson, as opposed to the combination of the names Allen and Iverson.

I also got the distinct impression that the game announcer was saying "Allen Iverson" in the place where he'd normally be saying a player's nickname. Like if you've created a player and nicknamed him "The Bulldozer" then Harlan will call him "The Bulldozer" during the starting lineups, and occasionally by his last name during play.

So there are five potential variables here, and how they're being used by the game/stadium announcers:

First name: ????
Last Name: Hawkins
Full Name: Allen Iverson
Nickname (stadium?): The Answer
Nickname (Harlan?): "Allen Iverson"

FOLLOW-UP: While playing today with the 2014 draft class in my association, I paid attention to how the announcers talked about, or didn't talk about, Julius Randle. Harlan would say his name occasionally on free throws especially, like he did with Hawkins' last name. But most of the time, Harlan would just use "he" in the run of commentary, in exactly the same places that he'd use "Iverson" when discussing Hawkins.

So what I think is happening is that there is a variable that's set to full names, and if those are created players, then the announcers don't say it (or use the nickname instead). HOWEVER what's happened to Hawkins is that that variable has, for whatever reason, defaulted to "Allen Iverson" instead of being switched off. (I would guess that there's a list of full-name-players and AI is the first on that list, but that's just a guess.)

You can tell that something like the full-name variable exists during the lineup introductions. You can have a created character that uses a normal name like Julius Randle that will be used in-game, but Harlan will just skip introducing him during the original lineups.

I'll check a little bit more with the Turbo Trainer to see if that particular variable shows up there.

SECOND EDIT:

okay, it appears that I was part-right--Allen Iverson is the first player on the list according to ID. http://www.operationsports.com/Gman%201 ... layer-ids/

So what appears to be happening is that players you're creating are defaulting to the first player in the database. You have Hawkins as 1880, which is a blank space according to the ID list. According to the list I linked to, he's supposed to be 1460.

HOWEVER, changing just the ID in the Turbo Trainer doesn't change the announcers. I don't have Reditor, so I don't know if there's a field in it for changing the announced names. But if there is, I suspect switching whatever it is for Hawkins to 1460 would make him work.
arkaeyn

Re: How to change spoken player names

Postby JaoSming on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:51 pm

free version of RED MC can edit the players tab of roster files
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby arkaeyn on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:27 pm

Isn't that the same thing that the Turbo Trainer can edit?
arkaeyn

Postby jacktorres on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:32 pm

Bonus points for anyone who figures how to get Marv to refer to the Hornets as the Pelicans. :lol:
jacktorres

Postby arkaeyn on Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:37 pm

Giving this a bump.
arkaeyn

Postby arkaeyn on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:14 am

I have found the answer deep inside Reditor. Under player Appearance, there's a field called AudioID_M. The M apparently stands for Momentums, and is described as "Audio the speaker speaks when the player dunks, etc." Connie Hawkins is set at *5* in NBA Forever, which is Allen Iverson's number.

So that explains why Iverson's name gets called out in full but Hawkins has his name called out in short.
arkaeyn

Return to NBA 2K13