Enable/Disable any Mod/Total Conversion

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K12 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

Enable/Disable any Mod/Total Conversion

Postby Leftos on Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:52 am

A common issue modders creating (and users using) Total Conversions encounter, is the inability to keep the original game and the total conversion installed without having to copy the entire game folder to another place, or keeping manual backups of any files the mod replaces.

Another common issue for users, is downloading a mod and installing it, only to find out they didn't like it, but not having kept a backup, they have to dig up their original disc to find the original file, or download another mod.

The solution to all this is JSGME. JSGME, or Generic Mod Enabler, is a mod manager that works with any game. You install it to the game's installation directory, and put any new mod you want to try in a subfolder within a Mods folder. JSGME will detect the mods in that folder on start-up, and allow you to enable any of them.

It automatically keeps backups of your original files and restores them when you disable the mod. It also detects if a mod you're about to enable will conflict with another enabled mod. It can also keep mod profiles that remember which mods you want enabled for each profile (e.g. a Classic profile, in which you'll have classic courts, a classic scoreboard, classic jerseys, etc).

You can download it here: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20963192/jsgme_setup_exe

Video Tutorial
phpBB [video]

Tutorial
1. Install it to your NBA 2K12 installation folder.
2. You'll find a MODS subfolder created inside now.
3. For every mod you want to be able to enable and disable, create a subfolder inside the MODS folder, with the name of the mod. For example, if you want to be able to switch between the TNT and NBA TV scoreboards, create two folders like so:
...\NBA 2K12\MODS\TNT Scoreboard
...\NBA 2K12\MODS\NBA TV Scoreboard
4. Extract the files of each mod into those subfolders, not into your installation path directly.
5. The mods will show up on JSGME, and you can enable/disable them.

Here are some screenshots to help you:

Credits to JoneSoft for this great tool.
Last edited by Leftos on Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Re: Enable/Disable any Mod/Total Conversion

Postby chaodck on Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:57 am

Great tool!!! Thanks for sharing mate!!!
chaodck

Postby Bassman58 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:17 am

It works very well. Been using for two years now. The PDF file has good instructions for setting it up. I'd suggest you create a shortcut on your desktop to launch the mods. It also has language packs if English is not your main language. You do NOT need to create separate installs of NBA 2K12 to enjoy multiple mods. I used it for the NCAA, Euroleague and FIBA mods last year. Modders can also use it to test any changes.
Bassman58

Postby JaoSming on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:46 am

Leftos wrote:A common issue modders creating (and users using) Total Conversions encounter, is the inability to keep the original game and the total conversion installed without having to copy the entire game folder to another place, or keeping manual backups of any files the mod replaces.

It's a fine tool, but there is no reason that Total Conversion mods require the overrighting of NBA files. Yes, I can understand the want to have NCAA specific socks, or simplicity of overwriting every logo of a certain team to keep things easy, but the game can generate portraits in-engine and minute details can be sacrificed for having 4 different leagues in a single install rather than having 44gigs of 2K12.

Creating "no overwrite" versions is so simple that everyone should be able to have a choice to use such a version, and the few with a spare 10gigs of HDD space can have their league specific socks and portraits.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Leftos on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:07 pm

Oh, didn't know that about NBA 2K12. I'm referring to Total Conversions I had applied to other games which required me to keep a separate installation side-by-side. Knowing that JSGME existed would've saved me a lot of trouble.

I now see that the two Total Conversions of yours Jao that I downloaded (APB & Street) work fine by being installed in the original folder. Nice, didn't know that.

Still, it's better than having to keep backups for every file of every mod if I want to try the latest NBA TV mod (has about 9 different files I think) or the latest Jerseys (about 90 of them, or even more if you consider your packs Jao), and be able to revert easily if I don't like the changes of a specific mod.

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby JaoSming on Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:56 pm

yep, I totally agree, and the program works great too. The no-overwrite thing is just something I've been adamant about since 2k10, well, really my Live days as well.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby ianchad on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:18 pm

is pba 2k12 work on this ?
ianchad

Postby sheed30 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:43 pm

ty for this (Y)
sheed30

Postby Leftos on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:26 pm

ianchad wrote:is pba 2k12 work on this ?

Well, duh, that's why I posted about it in the NBA 2K12 Releases & Previews. It works with any game that's moddable!

I'm using it now with 2 mod profiles.
1: NBA TV Mod by MGX + NBA TV Scoreboard by NBA2Kway
2: TNT Mod by Sixers85 + TNT Scoreboard by NBA2Kway

And I can switch between them at will with a single-click! It's that easy!

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby 123rockstar on Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:08 am

This is really helpful Leftos, not even in youtube provide this detailed explaination :D (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y)
123rockstar
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bliss on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:33 pm

Can you create a tool where we can update player's signature shots, rating, shot tendencies, etc.. incase we download an updated roster file..
Bliss

Postby JaoSming on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:43 pm

the free version of the REDitor does that. You can copy out your edits to open office or excel and paste them into new rosters, just double check that players are in the same position in each roster.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby chaodck on Sat May 05, 2012 7:01 am

The link has been down for some time. I just formatted my Hard Drive and I spent almost half an hour looking for a download link, 'till I found it, so if you want to re-download (or download for the first time), here it is...

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20963192/jsgme_setup_exe
chaodck

Postby Leftos on Sat May 05, 2012 7:31 am

Thanks. Fixed the link.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Kieran on Sun May 06, 2012 5:58 pm

Excellent tool. Love it. I could never be bothered playing conversions for the very reason that this program was made.

Thanks heaps! (Y) (Y)
Kieran

Postby Leftos on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:09 pm

Topic stickied, video tutorial added.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Requiem85 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:49 pm

@Leftos- thanks for this, since ive used it, ive had no hassles switching from 1 mod to another, and i have finally found a combo mod that works for me. thanks! :applaud:
Requiem85

Postby IronMike on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:36 pm

Leftos, I accidentally installed it into the wrong place, how do i change it? thanks
#FREEMEEKMILL
IronMike
0-100 Real Quick

Postby Leftos on Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:58 pm

Just install it again in the right place.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby IronMike on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:39 pm

Yup just did that, thanks leftos
#FREEMEEKMILL
IronMike
0-100 Real Quick

Postby Jairtnill on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:40 pm

So I'm wondering what happens with the files suposed to go in the saves folder? For ex, in fiba's mod, where I have to put the files that normaly goes to the saves folder? I'm using UBR and I don't want to make a mess mixing incompatible files of different mods in the same folder or something.

Thanks in advance.
Jairtnill

Postby Leftos on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:01 pm

You have to do a separate installation of JSGME in your Saves folder. But I really doubt that FIBA and UBR have conflicting files for the Saves folder.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Return to NBA 2K12 Modding