Insight #8 - Post Game

Talk about NBA 2K12 here.

Insight #8 - Post Game

Postby JaoSming on Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:32 am

http://www.facebook.com/notes/nba-2k/nb ... 2184137267

Tons of information, its a complete overhaul of the post game that I didn't really think was as broken until I read this. There has never been a basketball game that lets you move left or right in the post....never even thought of that before.

Defensive Insight tomorrow, Controls trailer next week.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: Insight #8 - Post Game

Postby mlp111 on Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:02 am

loving what i hear about the aggressive backdown, and the defensive counters for all the post moves, and the steal success/fail window... game is sounding amazing!
mlp111

Postby jaelove on Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:02 am

sounds good
jaelove

Postby fjccommish on Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:37 am

Does the CPU take advantage of this?
fjccommish

Postby Phraynk on Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:35 am

I think we can officially say that those are the new Generic shoes (Y)
"These young guys are playing checkers. I'm out there playing chess."
Phraynk

Postby Christian. on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:45 am

LOL I thought it was about the post game presentation.
Christian.
Aperture-Priority Mode

Postby volsey on Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:27 am

Freaking awesome news. The new moves and branches are good, but the defense aspect is HUGE. Ive always wanted a post game described just like that. Every move has a counter, good defense is better than good offense etc. Its finally more than just timing your block!

Phraynk wrote:I think we can officially say that those are the new Generic shoes (Y)

Haha I really dont understand how thats the only positive you can get out of that entire article. But different strokes I guess...
volsey

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:21 pm

I don't think that's what Phraynk was implying. ;) However, a quick glance at the comments on the Insight does reveal there are some people focusing on complaints about the shoes. I realise there are shoe buffs out there and the little details do add to the experience, but surely the in-depth rundown of all the changes and improvements to the post game outweigh the presence of generic shoes. To each their own of course but for my money anyone who buys the game to pause it and look at the shoes is, to coin a popular Internet phrase, doing it wrong.

I'm really liking the sound of all the moves, though I expect I'll be spending some time working on them in Training Camp. I have to admit I find the post controls a bit contrived at times, so I definitely need more practice with them to utilise them to their full potential.

Good news on the defensive side of things, too. A few years back NBA Live tried a "jostle" system with their post play that had good intentions in balancing things between the offense and defense, but when it came down to it the offensive player still generally had a bit too much of an advantage. It's a general concern with basketball games posting up or otherwise, but sounds like defenders have been given some handy tools this year. Anything that moves away from pre-determined/dice roll situations and lets both sides react to what the other is doing is movement in the right direction.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby J@3 on Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:58 pm

Andrew wrote:I don't think that's what Phraynk was implying. ;) However, a quick glance at the comments on the Insight does reveal there are some people focusing on complaints about the shoes. I realise there are shoe buffs out there and the little details do add to the experience, but surely the in-depth rundown of all the changes and improvements to the post game outweigh the presence of generic shoes. To each their own of course but for my money anyone who buys the game to pause it and look at the shoes is, to coin a popular Internet phrase, doing it wrong.

Lol that's exactly what I came into this thread to post. I love everything I'm reading about the post game and making it more accessible really changes the game because it doesn't have to be so guard oriented now, but half the comments are about the shoes :lol:

I just hope to god the socks are accurate this year!!!
J@3

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:05 pm

It's always interesting to see what's a gamebreaker/deal breaker for some people. Nothing wrong with having an opinion on the little things of course, being disappointed and wanting to see improvement, but at least avoid blowing it way out of proportion.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Christian. on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:12 pm

And the headband logo positions too! :lol:
Christian.
Aperture-Priority Mode

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:15 pm

Well, we can only hope people lost their jobs over those blunders. ;)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby bowdown on Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:55 pm

Wow man I cant wait. I really hope they fixed the AI in this game. That would be a HUGE plus for me more than anything. It would be really fun if a sports game could be developed where it really does come down to how good you play a simulation basketball rather than how unrealistically the CPU can make plays to counter or keep up in the game.
bowdown

Postby gogadantes on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:32 pm

Wow, reading the description on this insight made me nergasm. Free directional movements out of a postup, drive to the basket from a postup, REAL skyhooks, pull-the-frickin-chair move? :bowdown2:
Also, LOL on the pull-the-chair screenshot. Darko can't get any love, even in video games :mrgreen:
gogadantes

Postby hova- on Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:11 pm

Just great, the post game needed an overhaul if you asked me, and it looks like they will deliver. Can't tell you how often I was hoping to have full control over hooks/fadeaway.
Dirk with a hook just does not look right, he's fading, even when he's 6 feet away from the rim. That's nice.

Also, you couldn't defend turn-around jumpers in the post last year. Most of the time I went up in the right moment but the offense just shot over me and made the bucket, that was frustrating.
In my opinion, the post game was one of the points in the game, where you did not really notice any difference between a guy like Tim Duncan and Ryan Hollins. That should change now, especially with turnover animations for post scrubs.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:01 pm

This Insight is good news indeed.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby deihatein on Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:40 pm

hova- wrote:Dirk with a hook just does not look right, he's fading, even when he's 6 feet away from the rim. That's nice.

Unless it's a left-handed stop and pop like.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Return to NBA 2K12