Scoring Too Much

Talk about NBA 2K11 here.

Scoring Too Much

Postby fjccommish on Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:47 am

Playing the game today and finding most games (superstar, sim) both the CPU and I shoot around 60%.

If the quarter length is 12 minutes, then the score is around 30-35 points per quarter.

If it's 8 minutes (Jordan Challenge) then the score is around 20-25 points per quarter.

Seems like the shots go in too much.

But overall it's fantastic, and the CPU plays aggressively especially with superstars.
fjccommish

Re: Scoring Too Much

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:44 am

I would've thought the shooting percentages would be lower on the sim setting. That aside, would you say the sim settings are a good start for custom sliders?
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby The X on Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:50 am

Strange, some of the guys over at OS are shooting in the 30's on higher difficulties on sim level.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby fjccommish on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:18 pm

There are numerous reasons people are shooting 30%.

#1, keep in mind that the CPU is shooting 60+%.

#2, when shooting is set to real shooting %, at least in my experience, it's harder to hit shots. I assume the timing is different, but the shot timing isn't the same when shooting % is set. For example with Jordan locked in the Jordan challenge I hit 70% with stick control set as influencing shooting, but only 50% with real shot % set. I couldn't hit anything outside.

#3, they're playing the whole team, while I play locked to one guy. So far I've locked onto Jordan. After going into practice mode I learned his release. It's different from the release of others. So if you're not locked on one guy shooting is going to be hard. You have to learn everyone's release, then use that during the game as you shoot with each person. Most people are probably using the same release on every shot, so missing a lot.

Sliders can change things at the expense of ruining the competitiveness of the CPU. It's always been like that. This is why. When you lower, for example, outside shooting %'s you know it but the CPU doesn't. You will then try for closer shots or more inside scoring, while the CPU won't make an adjustment to the sliders. It thus becomes easier to beat the CPU.

The AI is inside the game, constricted by the 4th wall. In other words, the CPU players exist as if they're the real life players playing a game on the court you see on the TV. They don't play as if it's another gamer just like you, holding the stick and playing a virtual basketball game. The difference is subtle, but having a CPU AI that acts like a gamer holding the stick would be the only way to allow sliders to alter the game without giving the gamer an unfair advantage.
fjccommish

Postby Hedonist on Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:02 pm

fjccommish wrote:#1, keep in mind that the CPU is shooting 60+%.

#3, they're playing the whole team, while I play locked to one guy. So far I've locked onto Jordan.

How can you play good defense when you're locked into one player, especially a perimeter player like Jordan? I think that definitely helps the opponents fg%.

I imagine a team should knock down a lot of shots if they execute well, the opponents in the Jordan challenge are pretty formidable, so I expect it to be a challenge to defend them well. If you're just guarding one man on every possession, it's pretty hard to do, right?

Sliders can change things at the expense of ruining the competitiveness of the CPU. It's always been like that. This is why. When you lower, for example, outside shooting %'s you know it but the CPU doesn't. You will then try for closer shots or more inside scoring, while the CPU won't make an adjustment to the sliders. It thus becomes easier to beat the CPU.

This is no different from playing with default sliders, so it's irrelevant imo.

For example, if on the default sliders 50% of the threepoint shots go down, you're aware of it and can take advantage while the CPU just executes their game plan. So what it comes down to is whether or not you do or don't exploit your insight over the AI.

Let's say you change the threepoint succes and you stop taking threes entirely, then you're exploiting your changes. You might as well lower the succes to 0% if you desire..

But if you lower it to make the %'s realistic and use your players and teams the way they play in real life, then it shouldn't be a factor. Most people imo would change the sliders to make their three point shot succes and of the opponent realistic, not to change their tactics, I mean, if you play sim style ball and take what the defense gives you are you gonna pass up the open three because you changed the sliders? I don't think so.

The AI is inside the game, constricted by the 4th wall. In other words, the CPU players exist as if they're the real life players playing a game on the court you see on the TV. They don't play as if it's another gamer just like you, holding the stick and playing a virtual basketball game. The difference is subtle, but having a CPU AI that acts like a gamer holding the stick would be the only way to allow sliders to alter the game without giving the gamer an unfair advantage.

Like I said, if you desire to play realistic sim ball then you won't play like that (imo). What most people imo want, those who do change sliders etc, is to manipulate the AI to make it play as realistically as possible, and change the sliders to make the stats as realistic as possible.

Human players have many advantages over the AI anyway. If you know one move is unguardable, you can go to it every play. Things like that. You might go after a guy in foul trouble, while the AI may not. There's many things. Most gamers who use patching and slider settings and all those things aren't into that though, imo. They'd probably be excited if the AI would do the same, get guys in foul trouble, exploit mismatches, what not.. I would. Because it makes it more sim.
Red rim is not sim!
Hedonist

Postby soho on Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:17 pm

if cpu shoots 60% ur bit slow on contesting shots..
user wise upgrade difficulty to HOF then .. ur release have to be very good to hit
soho

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:44 am

Changing the global tendencies can make the cpu seem more or less aware of slider changes.

Did I read that they changed the sliders to actual percentages rather than a number?
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby fjccommish on Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:24 am

"How can you play good defense when you're locked into one player, especially a perimeter player like Jordan? I think that definitely helps the opponents fg%."

It's generally not my man scoring. For example, when I play against Miami locked onto Jordan, Wade is pretty controlled. It's LeBron getting the points.
fjccommish

Postby Hedonist on Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:46 am

fjccommish wrote:"How can you play good defense when you're locked into one player, especially a perimeter player like Jordan? I think that definitely helps the opponents fg%."

It's generally not my man scoring. For example, when I play against Miami locked onto Jordan, Wade is pretty controlled. It's LeBron getting the points.

Exactly. Because you're playing defense on Wade. But not on anybody else. So as a team, you don't play good defense, was my point.

Maybe if you're locked into Dwight Howard it would make a difference, you can help out a lot on defense, but with a perimeter player you just stand in the corner many times while your teammates get burned, especially if the opposing team executes plays and gets open looks and layups that way.
Red rim is not sim!
Hedonist

Postby BoFF on Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:50 pm

it varies when i play...some games i can be 40% to 50% i love it! i dont feel cheated either when the cpu makes it shot
BoFF

Return to NBA 2K11