Can NBA Live .....

Talk about NBA Live 14 here. Archived discussion on NBA Live 13 and NBA Elite 11 can also be found in this section.

Can NBA Live .....

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sun May 04, 2014 11:20 am

Mimic the true speed of the NBA?

If you've played NBA Live 14, and how the game is structured, they have it more of a half court game. But while looking at the way Russell Westbrook, John Wall, Tony Parker for example play, do you believe Live can get players to be blurs like that? Or is it a Pipe dream?
ThaLiveKing

Re: Can NBA Live .....

Postby JaoSming on Sun May 04, 2014 11:30 am

like, historically? Cause 2003 and 2004 were too fast, with 06 having essentially the perfect fastbreak replication.

I need to play the game more to really comment on Live 14, but while they aren't as fast as those elite players, it isn't that terrible.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Sun May 04, 2014 11:05 pm

I think it's better post-patch, but there's still room for improvement, as well. This is definitely where sliders can help out, so I hope that we see them return in NBA Live 15. It's commendable that the dev team wants to fine tune the game as much as possible themselves in the name of getting the product right out of the box, and they should absolutely keep striving for that, but sometimes a couple of slider tweaks here and there can make a huge difference in enhancing the gameplay experience and giving an individual gamer what they're after.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon May 05, 2014 1:08 am

Andrew wrote:I think it's better post-patch, but there's still room for improvement, as well. This is definitely where sliders can help out, so I hope that we see them return in NBA Live 15. It's commendable that the dev team wants to fine tune the game as much as possible themselves in the name of getting the product right out of the box, and they should absolutely keep striving for that, but sometimes a couple of slider tweaks here and there can make a huge difference in enhancing the gameplay experience and giving an individual gamer what they're after.

To me, there's a problem switching gears, especially in the open court. There's a delay when you hold the turbo button, players should be able to get that burst of speed instant with those quick players.
ThaLiveKing

Postby Patr1ck on Mon May 05, 2014 2:40 am

I don't think any basketball game has ever replicated the fastest players well enough. I think when they have tried, those players became too powerful, and instead of improving the defense, the devs probably just scaled the quicker guys down.

LiveKing, there are delays everywhere. Ever tried just turning your player sometimes? After catching passes, there are certain turning animations that allow the D to catch up.

There isn't a big delay of turbo other than it being more gradual of an acceleration. This is something I griped about when the game came out. Your trying to move a person around, not a car. They need to design intention and aggression into that sprint button, with some harnesses like faster loss of fatigue and potential loss of control. I have noticed that fatigue does affect it in-game, though. Even when fatigue is off. It slows the acceleration and max speed, I think.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon May 05, 2014 2:47 am

Pdub wrote:I don't think any basketball game has ever replicated the fastest players well enough. I think when they have tried, those players became too powerful, and instead of improving the defense, the devs probably just scaled the quicker guys down.

LiveKing, there are delays everywhere. Ever tried just turning your player sometimes? After catching passes, there are certain turning animations that allow the D to catch up.

There isn't a big delay of turbo other than it being more gradual of an acceleration. This is something I griped about when the game came out. Your trying to move a person around, not a car. They need to design intention and aggression into that sprint button, with some harnesses like faster loss of fatigue and potential loss of control. I have noticed that fatigue does affect it in-game, though. Even when fatigue is off. It slows the acceleration and max speed, I think.

You know what I'm talking about lol. You might have hit it on the nail right there with the car comparison.

Turning the player around is hard, also the reaction time on defense is hella slow!! Game play would be solid if they would fix things like this lol
ThaLiveKing

Postby Patr1ck on Mon May 05, 2014 3:01 am

The question needs to be asked, though. How do they speed up the responsiveness to a realistic level without making the game look chaotic?

Right now the game is slower and offense is based off just a few moves or passes, while defense is just about one or two adjustments then contesting the shot. No multiple rotations and help defense switches or swinging the ball and running multiple screens.

That's the level of gameplay we need and improving that responsiveness is the first thing that needs to be done, imo.

It needs to be balanced out, but there are other factors as well. Does the AI trigger fast enough? Can the animations be loaded quick enough? Everything needs to fall in line for the gameplay to be balanced.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon May 05, 2014 3:34 pm

ThaLiveKing wrote:To me, there's a problem switching gears, especially in the open court. There's a delay when you hold the turbo button, players should be able to get that burst of speed instant with those quick players.

Agreed. I'd also agree with Pat that no one's got it quite right yet; that hitch in 2K's sprint button bugs me as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Wed May 07, 2014 2:54 am

Every time EA releases a new game I always look at the features to see if they could be used in NBA Live

12 PLAYER NHL COLLISION PHYSICS
For the first time in any sports game, real-world physics affects every player through every on-ice collision with the new 12 Player NHL ® Collision Physics. Utilizing the power of the next generation consoles, and building off the critically-acclaimed NHL Collision Physics system, every player on the ice is governed by physics at all times. Feel the hard-hitting chaos of NHL hockey through true-to-life secondary collisions, net scrambles and player pileups, capturing the desperation of every shift.

- Sounds good for the problems Live's been having in the half court game and overall collision problems. The ability to have hard play off type fouls, and actually hear the player fall hard would be a nice game changer. Also feeling the impact of every screen, whether it be a blocking or offensive foul

REAL PUCK PHYSICS
The puck is one of the most complex items in the game to authentically replicate and it finally gets its due in NHL 15. Completely rebuilt puck physics result in a more realistic feel to every puck interaction. Everything on the ice, including the ice surface itself, is live which leads to the unpredictable and authentic puck spins, rolls and bounces seen in a real NHL game.

- AKA Releasing the ball to physics which was promised in Live 14. FIFA has done a great job with it as well. The ability to have bounce passes spin awkwardly off the ground, hitting players in their knees and going out of bounds (AKA Pacers basketball). Would add realism to the game lol

UNPRECEDENTED PLAYER LIKENESS
Powered by the same technology that brought the most realistic representation of the athlete to EA SPORTS UFC, NHL 15 delivers groundbreaking player likeness, emotion and animation. From the strides a player takes to get up the ice to the emotion on their face after scoring a game winning goal, the players are as real as they’ve ever been.

- The advantage of the face scanning technology, and highly detailed player models should make the game visuals a lot better. Looking at the NHL Teaser trailer, the detail is looking amazing. If you haven't seen it yet here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytkPcoi6VMw

VISION AI
An elevated level of player intelligence, Vision AI features evolved awareness with players reading and reacting to potential plays. Scoring area recognition, pass anticipation, and enhanced team breakouts all improve the flow of the game.

- Anything elevated with the player intelligence rather than the script they got going on right now would be a great change in Live. One thing I hate is how the CPU Automatically shields off the screener even if (in reality) he wouldn't know what side to set the screen is being set. When you have that option set, they automatically take away that option and force you the opposite direction, they should add a defensive foul there sometimes because you can't always shut that down. The Bulls have it as a set default, it's kind of annoying also since the controls aren't always responsive lol.

LIVING CROWDS
The crowd is alive. Feel the crowd behavior change after dropping the gloves, landing a big hit, or scoring a clutch goal. Individual behaviors are mapped to each person in the crowd, as they anticipate the play, taunt players, clap to music from the dynamic Jumbotron or even take a quick break from the action to snap a selfie and immortalize their experience.

Would be crazy in a basketball game --->>>>> Over 9,000 Crowd Models – NHL 15 sets a new standard in videogames with more than 9,000 individual crowd models with 4x the animations of previous generations. Take a look through the glass and you’ll see fans hold up signs with your name on them, costume wearing superfans, or even sections full of team rivals rooting against you.

What's your take on this?
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Wed May 07, 2014 10:11 am

Well, we know they're sharing tech between the games, so hopefully good stuff in other games shows up in Live too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 14