Live 14 on Xbox one

Talk about NBA Live 14 here. Archived discussion on NBA Live 13 and NBA Elite 11 can also be found in this section.

Live 14 on Xbox one

Postby Tobiasz on Wed May 22, 2013 4:03 am

What's your thoughts ? :crazyeyes:

Tobiasz

Re: Live 14 on Xbox one

Postby Ballyoop on Wed May 22, 2013 4:09 am

hollllyyyyy.... :shock:

is this it, that's what it's all about, manny?
Ballyoop
collywobbles

Postby JaoSming on Wed May 22, 2013 4:41 am

99% sure that is CGI. No way that is gameplay.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Angelo on Wed May 22, 2013 4:52 am

meh not impressed with the picture gotta wait for some gameplay videos first :)
Angelo
Holy Tits
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Wed May 22, 2013 4:58 am

Fake and gay, as a gameplay trailer.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby RedPhazon8 on Wed May 22, 2013 5:37 am

Here's the whole trailer, none of it is game play so I don't think it impressed anyone. If it was I would of found Live 14's graphic style to be disturbingly off and ugly...

phpBB [video]
RedPhazon8

Postby buzzy on Wed May 22, 2013 5:54 am

That guy that predicted Kyrie as the coverboy in another thread is looking pretty good right about now.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Ballyoop on Wed May 22, 2013 5:57 am

okkkayy... they got me on that one, anyway, im impressed with their cloth engine. 2k's turrible.

is this it, that's what it's all about, manny?
Ballyoop
collywobbles

Postby BD1899 on Wed May 22, 2013 6:13 am

The player models still look strange in that trailer, especially the legs.

Original image by freshcontrast
BD1899

Postby Uros12 on Wed May 22, 2013 6:17 am

Looks good,but so did Live 06 trailer for Xbox 360.
Still taking my time to perfect the beat
And I still got love for the streets.
Uros12

Postby Haxz0rz1337 on Wed May 22, 2013 6:21 am

For me it still looks like NBA Elite 11. Yes i had and played Elite 11. It looks kinda bad on videos. But you know, time will show what will happen.
Haxz0rz1337

Postby julsnice on Wed May 22, 2013 6:51 am

The sad thing is that even if that was actual in-game footage it would be weird.

Like I said in the predictions thread, very stylized and unrealistic. Looks like CGI footage from fucking 2006, if not earlier.
julsnice

Postby Patr1ck on Wed May 22, 2013 8:16 am

Live 14 looked like it could have contained some possible in-game stuff to me, mostly with some added collision/branching and facial animation. It probably just contained recycled animations from their vast library and they just cleaned them up. It has similar stiff animations that we have seen in all the 360 NBA Live games, and it animated the worst out of all the games they showed in the trailer.

It's crazy that Live 06 and Live 07 might have actually looked better as far as overall image quality. The Live 14 models look like they are playing outside or in a studio with a big spotlight on them. This overbright light with exaggerated shadows, although the soft self shadows looked incredible, it doesn't look like that in real life with all the stadium lights. Oh and no sweat. At all. Awkward looking models again, too.

0:43, help defender seems to have no idea that Irving has the ball until he comes closer and finally turns his head.
0:45, Rubio's facial expression after the spin. LOL
0:58, Kirilenko block animation looks old and familiar.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Wed May 22, 2013 8:48 am

Pdub wrote:Live 14 looked like it could have contained some possible in-game stuff to me, mostly with some added collision/branching and facial animation. It probably just contained recycled animations from their vast library and they just cleaned them up. It has similar stiff animations that we have seen in all the 360 NBA Live games, and it animated the worst out of all the games they showed in the trailer.

It's crazy that Live 06 and Live 07 might have actually looked better as far as overall image quality. The Live 14 models look like they are playing outside or in a studio with a big spotlight on them. This overbright light with exaggerated shadows, although the soft self shadows looked incredible, it doesn't look like that in real life with all the stadium lights. Oh and no sweat. At all. Awkward looking models again, too.

0:43, help defender seems to have no idea that Irving has the ball until he comes closer and finally turns his head.
0:45, Rubio's facial expression after the spin. LOL
0:58, Kirilenko block animation looks old and familiar.

Don't think the actual game will look like that though, I think they wanted a theme for the trailer, so that's how it looked. The trailer looked like Live 09 in terms of lighting. I think the game will still look like a normal NBA broadcast

Not a fan of the player models, still look too skinny. They need someone to go through all the players and add mass to them lol

Pastapadre just tweeted this: RT @pastapadre FYI the EA Sports game footage was pre-rendered. Not taken from running off Xbox One hardware."
ThaLiveKing

Postby nick_sr on Wed May 22, 2013 9:14 am

don't think 10 secs of footage can determine anything. the 2k fanboys on os really seem to think that every player in the nba is supposed to be a body builder
nick_sr

Postby mlp111 on Wed May 22, 2013 2:16 pm

still looked as bad and as stiff as previous installments that didnt get released.... Thats my opinion at the moment. Only impressed by 3d stadium structures thats seem to suggest that player announcements are back.... but everything else isn't impressive at all
mlp111

Postby Hiteshom on Wed May 22, 2013 2:26 pm

GET THAT HYPE MACHINE STARTED!!!!
Hiteshom

Postby ND_Raiden on Wed May 22, 2013 4:28 pm

nick_sr wrote:don't think 10 secs of footage can determine anything. the 2k fanboys on os really seem to think that every player in the nba is supposed to be a body builder

nice try EA, you clearly do not watch basketball

basketball players dont have skinny legs like that, do me a favor and never come back until you google some nba images. thank you
ND_Raiden

Postby [Q] on Wed May 22, 2013 7:07 pm

in the screenshots yeah they do look a little thinner than what most people expect them to look like, but in the moving video, you don't really notice it as much
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Patr1ck on Thu May 23, 2013 1:18 am

There is a clear contrast of the thin, long limbed nba models vs the fifa models. Hopefully it doesn't represent the final product in any way.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ermolli on Thu May 23, 2013 2:21 am

That didn't look good at all even though it's a CGI. In my opinion, the only good things from the video were the arena, lightning and the face expressions; the rest looked really bad specially the body models. I understand that maybe 2K's models look a bit too bulky but this is the other way round, they look too skinny (look at the players' ankles) with little to no proportional shape. I know it's a CGI trailer and maybe this won't be their final graphical style but how then the other three games looked so much better in that trailer?

It's hard for me to believe that NBA Live 06 (which was released 8 years ago) still has better graphics than a CGI trailer of a next gen console; it has better player models, jersey texture and quality, good player faces, lightning and arenas; it even has sweat which is something one could think it would also appear in a next-gen title as well. Here's an example:
phpBB [video]

Do the Live really check what's wrong with what they have and try to improve that? It isn't like people over here and other forums complained about their player models after Elite 11 and the Live 13 video. Maybe I should reserve judgement for later but Live 14 clearly was the weakest part of the trailer.
Ermolli

Postby Andrew on Fri May 24, 2013 1:18 am

The models are a little off and there are some stiff animations, but I'd rather see actual gameplay footage rather than a few snippets of pre-rendered CGI footage.

Having said that, even if that's a problem in the finished product, if the controls feel responsive, the AI shows improvement and the game plays well - just doesn't look quite right - then I can live with that. After all, 2K's had the opposite problem with its body models as they've looked a bit too bulky at times, however the gameplay experience has certainly offset that particular detail. Of course, 2K's animation heavy gameplay also demonstrates another problem that both developers are trying to overcome, balancing quality of animations with responsiveness of controls. As much as I enjoy 2K13, sometimes the game looks better than it feels. It seems like NBA Live is having the opposite problem, getting the physics and control down but the animations are suffering.

In short, nice to get a glimpse of something, but again I'm more interested to see (and will reserve judgement for) actual raw gameplay footage.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 14