Tips on how to play a good game and not being an asshole

Talk about NBA 2K10 here.

Tips on how to play a good game and not being an asshole

Postby Eich on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:16 pm

Decided to create this thread maybe a bit too late, but I think this could be applied also not just to 2k10, but also 2k series, and even nba live/elite series.
Anyways lets begin - This is "How to play a good game online, and not being an asshole in the process".

1st. Don't steal the inbound pass.
It ruins the experience for those players that want to play out a ball with no extra work. And there are a lot of people like that, like myself.

2nd. Defend by yourself.
Even if you are bad at it, don't let the AI do it in your place. If I wanted to play against AI, I would play alone. Getting help from AI is ok, but avoiding to defend the baller is an asshole move.

3rd. Don't jump on every pump-fake
Don't jump when a player clearly hasn't a good shot, clearly he will just pump-fake to get to a better position. Just stay in his face and you should be alright.

4th. Don't jump-pass
It's the cheapest trick in the book, its easy to do, and its hard to defend. But if you have to do it (like an unwanted shot), be sure you do not shoot immediately with that guy who just got free because of that. Overusing this is a big asshole move.

5th. Don't rush your offense
Your offense should last at least 12-15 seconds, and not 5 seconds. Pass a ball around, move or call plays, and eventually you'll get an open player on the outside or inside.

6th. Don't think about going for a layup or a dunk (PIP)
When you're on offense, don't go thinking - I'm gonna do a layup or a dunk. Think about, getting the ball to an open man outside the paint.

7th. Never Rage-Quit or stop playing
Now this is for those who can't hold their nerves together. Try, relax, pause a game for a minute if you need. But never rage quit, or stop playing. Don't give up, even though you probably have no chance. Try to play like you played before. People will respect you for that.

8th. Don't use one player to win a game
Kobe, Lebron, Wade - these all are unstoppable players for not so great defense, that's why they are being abused by so many players. Again, when you're on offense, don't think of taking a shot with them, think of getting the ball to an open player. Make sure his Field Goal shots, don't extend the 1/3 mark of all the teams field goal shots.

9th. Play with your bench players
Even though you think that bench players cant score - they can, you just have to try. Yes, your starting players are better then them, but they need to rest. So use your bench players to sub them(auto subs will help you with that). When it doesn't go so well with your starting players, use your bench players, they can score.

More will be added, once I get home. In the mean time - leave your tips, and I will add them once I get back.
Also note to moderators - would be nice if you could sticky this :)
Last edited by Eich on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eich

Re: Tips on how to play a good game and not being an asshole

Postby JaoSming on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:27 pm

Eich wrote:2nd. Defend by yourself.
Even if you are bad at it, don't let the AI do it in your place. If I wanted to play against AI, I would play alone.

3rd. Don't jump on every pump-fake
Don't jump when a player clearly hasn't a good shot, clearly he will just pump-fake to get to a better position. Just stay in his face and you should be alright.

4th. Don't jump-pass
It's the cheapest trick in the book, its easy to do, and you can't defend it. But if you have to do it (like an unwanted shot), be sure you do not shoot immediately with that guy who just got free because of that.

I disagree with the above.

2. There is nothing saying we can't play help defense. It's more enjoyable for me than letting the terrible AI help defense allow wide open players.

3. Going for shot fakes doesnt make you an asshole. Just an idiot. If someone rests their thumb on the block button then it is your offensive duty (ha) to make them pay.

4. Very easy to defend.....dont try to block their shot, just do the auto contest by being close. If they miss you are in position to board, and if they pass it you have lost no defensive ground since you didnt jump.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: Tips on how to play a good game and not being an asshole

Postby Eich on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:24 am

2. Well yeah, help defense is ok, but not when you just switch to other player and defend non baller player, avoiding to defend player with the ball. I kinda hate that, because I'm not playing against human, but against AI.

3. Yeah I know it doesn't, but this is kinda a tip, so you don't look stupid, and don't give away an easy shot.

4. Usually for me, AI comes to help to block that man, and that results in a open player for the other player, and an easy score. It also makes you an asshole if you're using this trick to score on most of your positions.
Eich

Return to NBA 2K10