Dynasty Mode

Talk about NBA Live 10 here.

Dynasty Mode

Postby Phil89 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:51 pm

I bought the game last Thursday and so far I'm loving it. This is my first NBA game since Live 99 lol :D

I started a dynasty mode game with Oklahoma City, because I like building squads and they had the most wage cap left.

I'm only playing on Pro difficulty because like I said I haven't played in like 10 years.

I've only started following the NBA again recently so I had no idea who anyone from Oklahoma were.

I signed Glen Davis and Allen Iverson from Free Agency at the start of the season. Also brought in Ilgauskas and Delonte West from Cleveland.

After about 20 games I traded:
Kevin Durant <-> Carmelo Anthony (Denver)
Allen Iverson <-> Trevor Ariza (Houston)

I'm not sure if those are good trades or not but maybe you guys will know?

I'm top of the Western Conference after about 35 games so my team can't be that bad. 20-1 record at home :)
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Re: Dynasty Mode

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:02 pm

Welcome to the Forum! I would suggest you made a couple of very good trades there. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:25 pm

Thanks! :D

Also, speaking of trades, is it possible to get more than 1 'superstar' player (eg. Lebron, Kobe, Carmelo) on your team?
Obviously it's difficult because of their teams not wanting to trade them and their salaries, but I've been trying anyway (with no luck) :? .
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Definitely possible, but it's easier said than done. Trading in NBA Live is usually a matter of matching up the overall ratings, thus it's possible to package two very good players for a great player and a benchwarmer. However, the CPU isn't as keen to give up superstar players especially if they're winning or it's still early in the season. On top of that, you've got to match salaries so that the deal works under the cap as well. It's tough, but doable.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:26 pm

Tried again before but no one is willing to trade. And on top of that their counter offers were a joke. They wanted Carmelo for one of their average players.

Is there a way to see who will be a Free Agent next season?
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:14 pm

Yeah, their counteroffers are pretty amusing and often downright insulting. Can't blame them for trying, I guess. ;)

Go to the GM's Desk menu and select Upcoming Free Agents. You can then cycle through the teams and see which players will be available in the coming offseason.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:19 pm

Made the play-offs first season. Beat the Spurs in 7. (First game Carmelo scored 60 pts)
Then lost to the Rockets in 5. Cavs won Championship with Lebron MVP.

During off-season:
Released Ilgauskas.
Signed Brandon Roy.
Signed Aaron Gray.

Was kinda at annoyed by who was available though because I checked the upcoming Free Agents list before and Lebron and Dwyane Wade were on it, but I guess they resigned with their clubs :(

So now I have 3 guys who are really great at 3 pointers.

C: Gray [70]
PF: Ariza [72]
SF: Anthony [90]
SG: Roy [89]
PG: West [78]

With Glen Davis coming off the bench.

Gray is pretty much a straight swap for Ilgauskas in terms of overall and height, but he is on 10m less wages, is 9 years younger and has hair :D
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:32 am

Tough break in the Playoffs, but looks like you've made a couple of nice moves in the offseason. If you feel like doing any write-ups on your Dynasty, you should check out the Dynasty & Franchise Stories section. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:14 pm

Ok maybe I will. You can close this then if you want. :)
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Phil89 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:57 pm

I'm in 4th season now and I just accomplished getting 2 stars on my team. Melo and Kobe (although Kobe is 34 yo and 86 ovr now) :)
Phil89

Postby Hotwater10 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:54 am

Phil89 wrote:I'm in 4th season now and I just accomplished getting 2 stars on my team. Melo and Kobe (although Kobe is 34 yo and 86 ovr now) :)

Actully Brandon Roy is a top 6 ot 7 Player in the NBA. Look at his stats.
I do videos for NBA Live and all sorts of games! Check me out!

http://www.youtube.com/UnbeatableJacob
Hotwater10

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:10 am

Phil89 wrote:I'm in 4th season now and I just accomplished getting 2 stars on my team. Melo and Kobe (although Kobe is 34 yo and 86 ovr now) :)

It's certainly a little easier when they've started to decline. Nicely done.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby PrinceDassyFresh on Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:52 am

4th seasons? gosh how did you get through them so fast?

if by stars you mean guys over 90 all I have is one (Garnett), but I have 2 in 80's (Carter and Maggette)
PrinceDassyFresh

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:47 am

I'm guessing through a combination of simming and sim intervention. That's the quickest and easiest way to get through multiple seasons while still having a hand in the outcome. Pretty much essential these days since we can't set shorter season lengths.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby PrinceDassyFresh on Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:48 pm

i dont like Simulating, i like to look back at my stats and be proud that all those stats I made myself
PrinceDassyFresh

Postby Phil89 on Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:27 pm

I didn't sim all the games. I played the first 30-35 games of each season (winning 25+ in a row a couple times), then I just simmed the games against teams with worse records. I still played the games against Lakers, Celtics, Cavs etc.

I like playing all the games myself too, but I'm not patient enough to play 80-100 games a season. It gets repetitive. Especially when you play the same team twice in a row at the same arena. Mixing up the jerseys helps a bit though.

Plus sometimes I think that I have more fun building the team than actually playing with it :P
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:30 pm

PrinceDassyFresh wrote:i dont like Simulating, i like to look back at my stats and be proud that all those stats I made myself

I prefer to play as many games as I can too, but if you want to play multiple seasons it's difficult to do so without at least using sim intervention, given that we can't play shorter season lengths.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby PrinceDassyFresh on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:21 pm

yea I had thought they would have worke don that for Dynasty this year, right now Im not simulating but I will eventually in the upcoming dynasty seasons. or like I did in '07 game I simlutaed up until the all-star break and played just the games after the break, that was fun, i had to win ever game it was a do or die in every game, my team was out of playoff contention.
PrinceDassyFresh

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:03 pm

That's usually a good way to go as well and as you said, it can be quite challenging when the simulation puts you in a hole.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby SinDS on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:03 pm

Durant for Melo was a monster trade, way to go.

I got lucky in my OKC dynasty in that the Lakers released Andrew Bynum at the start of the season and I was able to pick him up :P

As far as simming goes, I like to play all 82 of the first season and then pick and choose from there.
SinDS

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:10 pm

SinDS wrote:As far as simming goes, I like to play all 82 of the first season and then pick and choose from there.

That's been one of my preferred options in years past, time permitting. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby killaray96 on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:47 pm

can someone help me!!!

everytime i go to fa my team signs someone back that i didnt want to sign back some my cap room goes down.. how can i avoid this?
killaray96

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:25 pm

Before the re-sign free agents phase of the offseason, bring up your roster with the Y button (Xbox 360) or Triangle button (PS3). From there, release any players with 0 years remaining on their contract if you don't want to automatically re-sign them.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Axel The Great on Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:15 am

Andrew,

NBA Live 10 is my first live game ever. I am doing dynasty mode with the Rockets and I signed Allen Iverson. I was wanting to trade Brent Barry, and I saw that on Miami Heat, Dwyane Wade's interest bar was almost full. I know Barry for Wade isn't a good trade, but I tried it, and it said I need to make room on my salary cap. How do I do that?

Also, about half of my good players (Yao Ming, Scola, McGrady, Brooks etc.) have only one year left on their contract, how do I extend their contracts?
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:27 am

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Creating cap room means trimming the payroll. However, you can't just release players as their contracts continue to count against your cap until they expire or they're picked up by another team. To get cap space during the season, you'll need to make trades with teams that have cap room, swapping big contracts for small ones.

In this approach, you find teams that are under the cap and trade players with large contracts for players with small contracts. Your total salaries will thus be lower and depending on how far over the cap you are, you can wheel and deal your way under the cap which will allow you to make larger offers to free agents and make it a little easier to trade players. It's easier said than done though, the CPU won't always be willing to take on bad contracts for smaller ones.

It is much easier to simply add players to the deal so that the salaries balance, however. There's an indicator on the Trade Players screen that will display either a cross or a tick. When it's a tick, all the salary cap and roster conditions are satisfied and you can propose the trade. If it's a cross, the deal doesn't satisfy those conditions.

Note that there's no way of that trade going through though. It's going to have to be Brent Barry and a whole lot more for the CPU to even seriously consider it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA Live 10