NBA Live 09 Sliders - Xbox 360/Playstation 3

Talk about NBA Live 09 here.

Re: *** The Tomba Formula ***NBA Live 09 Slider Settings

Postby Playmakers on Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:53 pm

kingjames23 wrote:
Tomba wrote:Image
[b]
[/i]

man, who the heck is Tomba? these sliders look iffy at best... compared to playmakers, or even mine for that matter... he is going in a totally different direction here

I know who he is and you have to understand Tomba doesn't really create sliders.....he simply modifies sliders to fit his style of play which is offensively an defensively heavy in favor of the Human player.

There's nothing wrong with that approach especially if you simply want to just pick up the game and have fun.

Heck EA has made Billions of dollars on Live because it appeases the casual type of fan who just wants to be able to pick up and play.

Now, guys that are looking for a challenge and more defense out of the CPU might not choose to go that route. We prefer a more difficult challenge and because of this factor we spend months tweaking sliders and pulling out our hair in frustration...... :lol:

Tomba, waites for a good set adds his bells and whistles to it and then simply enjoys the game after that point. Now technically that is a very smart way of doing it and you don't have to go through the hassle of pulling out all your hair. :lol:

So in the end I guess it just comes down fun factor for the individual....I might want to miss a few shots from down time and someone else might want to drain every shot from down town.
Now Playing

Madden 10/NCAA Football 10

Currently working on NCAA Football 10 Alumni Rosters
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/n ... sters.html
Playmakers

Postby ps3owner on Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:12 am

i'll try your sliders.
ps3owner

Postby Playmakers on Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:47 am

I the shooting sliders represent an actual percentage of the players ability to hit shots from that range this year.

The problem is way too many players are rated above avg shooters and right now simply lowering the Mid and Long Range settings into the 30's seem to start showing a huge improvement in outside shooting percentages being reduced.

I guess what I'm saying is that Dirk Nowitzki for exampl is a 90+ Mid Range shooter in this game for ratings.

Even if you lower it to 40 it reduces him down to about 50% from Mid Range

Go below 40 and then you start seeing Dirk at around 45-50% shooting from Mid Range only.......that seems about right and much better overall for me.

I simply could not miss with Dirk if any outside shooting sliders were above 40

I may very well go down to 35 and roll with that setting after I go through the league and test out all most of the top Jump Shooters.
Now Playing

Playmakers

Postby planbzimp on Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:06 am

I just tried bits off Tomba's setting such as cpu shooting, fatigue setting and user post defense, drop step effectiveness because I was quite satisfied with the default settings besides the AI's high shooting percentage.

I was happy to see computer shooting percentage drop down from high 50's to near 50% and lower. It was rewarding to contest shots and see cpu miss tough shots.

Fatigue setting of 75 for 4 minute quarters only gave bench players 1-2 minutes of playing time. Perhaps I'll turn it back down to default of 50.
planbzimp

Postby ps3owner on Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:06 am

I'm waiting for a 12 minute slider. superstar level :)
ps3owner

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:55 am

I'd recommend playing a couple of games on 12 minute quarters with Playmakers' sliders and see what the results are like, then tweak as necessary.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Playmakers on Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:47 pm

ps3owner wrote:I'm waiting for a 12 minute slider. superstar level :)

To play 12 minutes especially if you have good shooters the shooting sliders have to come down 15% for both Medium and Long (35/35)

Inside has been to be somewhere in the 20-25 range and then lower Layup % just a tad as I've found out that tends to eliminate the And 1"s a great deal.

Right now just for my team (Mavs) I have shooting sliders at

20-Short
35-Medium
35-Long

On Super Star the CPU will shoot lights out and they always seem to make big shots just when you need a defensive stop.

It might sound like I'm complaining but I'm really not because I don't see any cheesy play on Super Star Level. They (CPU) just tend to do everything much better on this level than All-Star.

I never saw any airball's on Super Star level.....On All-Star level with the same shooting sliders I saw air balls on both sides.

They were very realistic Air balls..... :lol:

If I can find away to get the CPU defense to play smarter on All-Star I'd highly suggest that Level for 12 Minutes of play. Super Star is best off at 8-10 minutes at the most. Plus fatigue is more evident on All-Star than Super Star.
Now Playing

Playmakers

Postby Tomba on Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:06 pm

kingjames23 wrote:
Tomba wrote:man, who the heck is Tomba? these sliders look iffy at best... compared to playmakers, or even mine for that matter... he is going in a totally different direction here

My direction is supposed to favor "gameflow" meaning the representation of real life ball and player movement. I create smoothness where smoothness is lacking. The realism comes from me going for a more natural "looking" game. The ONLY reason why some amounts look off is because it always seems that hidden animations and the lack of good flowing animation combinations are non existant for human and cpu. Also, these amounts are not "actual" real life amounts. they are "game engine" specific and sometimes a speed of 97 makes a player run around like speedy gonzalez, so a 87 makes them less cartoonish(if I am to put it into laymans terms)but again this is only ONE example of this.
Tomba

Postby Tomba on Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:18 pm

Playmakers wrote:
kingjames23 wrote:
Tomba wrote:Image
[b]
[/i]

man, who the heck is Tomba? these sliders look iffy at best... compared to playmakers, or even mine for that matter... he is going in a totally different direction here

I know who he is and you have to understand Tomba doesn't really create sliders.....he simply modifies sliders to fit his style of play which is offensively an defensively heavy in favor of the Human player.

There's nothing wrong with that approach especially if you simply want to just pick up the game and have fun.

Heck EA has made Billions of dollars on Live because it appeases the casual type of fan who just wants to be able to pick up and play.

Now, guys that are looking for a challenge and more defense out of the CPU might not choose to go that route. We prefer a more difficult challenge and because of this factor we spend months tweaking sliders and pulling out our hair in frustration...... :lol:

Tomba, waites for a good set adds his bells and whistles to it and then simply enjoys the game after that point. Now technically that is a very smart way of doing it and you don't have to go through the hassle of pulling out all your hair. :lol:

So in the end I guess it just comes down fun factor for the individual....I might want to miss a few shots from down time and someone else might want to drain every shot from down town.

Thanks Play!

To be honest I cater to a more hardcore crowd though. I wouldn't be doing this for casual gamers as my edits are visual and for the people who are very picky. I'll actually sit there seeing what slider(in each NBA live game that comes out year after year) does what in regards to game flow. I DO care about shooting percentages though and my 8 min sliders are pretty decent with the cpu shooting 40 to 50 percent. But i just pride myself in trying to get the right slider setting "combination' to get what i see on tv.
Tomba

Postby ps3owner on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:36 am

I wish that pared would come out and make a slider for nba live 2009 jk :lol:
ps3owner

Postby ps3owner on Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:38 am

Playmakers wrote:I the shooting sliders represent an actual percentage of the players ability to hit shots from that range this year.

The problem is way too many players are rated above avg shooters and right now simply lowering the Mid and Long Range settings into the 30's seem to start showing a huge improvement in outside shooting percentages being reduced.

I guess what I'm saying is that Dirk Nowitzki for exampl is a 90+ Mid Range shooter in this game for ratings.

Even if you lower it to 40 it reduces him down to about 50% from Mid Range

Go below 40 and then you start seeing Dirk at around 45-50% shooting from Mid Range only.......that seems about right and much better overall for me.

I simply could not miss with Dirk if any outside shooting sliders were above 40

I may very well go down to 35 and roll with that setting after I go through the league and test out all most of the top Jump Shooters.

thanks man
ps3owner

Postby Playmakers on Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:56 am

I've settled on 25-Short, 40-Medium and 35-Long for my shooting sliders. It seems to work on both level's All-Star and Super Star but you'll tend to see more 50% shooting nights out of the CPU on Super Star but not to a high extreme.

20-Short
38-Medium
34-Long

Seemed to hinder the CPU more than myself. The new settings gets me right where I want to be more consistently around 45%
Now Playing

Playmakers

Postby rawdog805 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:22 pm

Playmakers, I like your sliders but it just seemed like there were WAY to many fouls against me when challenging a shot... I have used TOMBA's sliders also, and while the game is competitve for the first 2 or 3 quarters, when that 4th quarter comes the game seems to get WAY to easy...
rawdog805

Postby Playmakers on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:16 am

rawdog805 wrote:Playmakers, I like your sliders but it just seemed like there were WAY to many fouls against me when challenging a shot... I have used TOMBA's sliders also, and while the game is competitve for the first 2 or 3 quarters, when that 4th quarter comes the game seems to get WAY to easy...

Are you giving the CPU team an advantage by assigning them Super Star Skill Level vs All-Star Skill level for the Human controlled team?

I don't think I made this very clear in my sliders.....

But if you assign Super Star skill level to the CPU when they play you home or away it gives them and added boost to a certain extent over your team.

Always set the Human side up at All-Star level and your players if assigned the proper sliders for shooting will play very realistic based on the ratings.

Here what I've been doing right now

Human Shooting Sliders with All-Star level settings

20-Short
38-Mid range
34-Long Range

vs

CPU Shooting Sliders with Super Star Level settings

25-Short
40-Medium
35-Long

I actually like the approach that EA provides this year.....the ability to play the CPU team using Super Star level sliders vs the Human Team using All-Star level Sliders.

I've been working on roster edits and haven't really fined tuned the sliders as much as I would like but one I'm done with the rosters I'll go back over the sliders and brush up on them some more.

As for the foul sliders just lower them down about 5 clicks for shooting fouls and it should start to feel much better for you. Also the fouls were geared towards shorter QTR's and they can get high for playing 10-12 minutes.

7-9 minutes I'd say using higher foul settings works pretty good but longer QTR's may require reducing them down some more.
Now Playing

Playmakers

Re: NBA Live 09 Sliders - Xbox 360/Playstation 3

Postby kingjames23 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:03 am

so i set the home team (cpu) to superstar and i set the away team (me) to all star... i just got blown out by 20. the problem is that the score was tied with 4 minutes left to go and then the cpu turned into the dream team or something. i was the lakers, playing the clippers. yes the clippers! i couldnt get a shot to drop and fisher threw the ball away 2 times. somehow EVERY time the cpu took a shot they were wide open, but i couldnt get any open shots and i ran plays/pick and rolls on every trip down. so i am thinking i might just play on allstar for both home and away. the cpu just got way too good way too fast somehow.

i may just play with both teams set on allstar
kingjames23

Re:

Postby ThaLiveKing on Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:42 pm

Playmakers wrote:
babbtong wrote:just a question Playmaker...when you say human skill level and cpu skill level, is that in the options under gameplay settings? it says away team skill level and home team skill level, but doesn't designate a cpu vs. human option? :?

Yeah my bad

I guess to simply things depending on which team you control set the Human level to All-Star and CPU to Super Star.

I prefer that setup because it makes the game more challenging for me. A lot of guys aren't going to like Super Star level for the CPU because they knock down shots but I don't care I want a challenge and when I play good defense I get rewarded on Super Star level if I suck then the CPU kills me doing a game.

They shoot a little more realistic on All-Star level but I kept eventually blowing them out.

I only play on Superstar. . .It so challenging this year. . .I just don't blow the computer out. I was down against Memphis the whole game. . Came back and beat in Overtime. Crazy ass game
ThaLiveKing

Postby PPG324 on Wed May 27, 2009 10:01 am

hey Andrew,
r u outta the slider creation buisness?
I always look forward to yours :bowdown: . . . any recommendations?
thanx n advance (Y)
PPG324

Postby Andrew on Wed May 27, 2009 11:15 am

I'll probably get back into it with NBA Live '10, in the meantime I'd suggest giving Playmakers' a try.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Blackjune97 on Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:40 am

im look for EA Locker with Michael jordan for PS3
Blackjune97

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:31 am

That's not what this thread is for; this is for discussing slider suggestions only.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Previous

Return to NBA Live 09