A LEGEND IS BORN II

A collection of memorable stories from NBA 2K's franchise and career modes.

Postby Cartar on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:30 am

shadowgrin wrote:Seattle Slammers
Seattle Blockers
Seattle Stealers
Seattle Jammers

Take a pick.

:lol: Nba live 97?
Cartar

Postby The X on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:18 am

ratrac wrote:
shadowgrin wrote:Seattle Slammers
Seattle Blockers
Seattle Stealers
Seattle Jammers

Take a pick.

:lol: Nba live 97?

actually, it goes all the way back to Live '95 :wink:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Fresh8 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:25 pm

Hey guys, had a quick browse.

Right now, I'm leaning to one of the following four names: Steamers, Shock, Stealth, and Strike.
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby Arcane on Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:38 pm

thunderstorm
Arcane
The NLSC's Jim Jefferies
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:00 pm

Well, Shock is a WNBA team, so out of the other 3: Stealth, but they all suck.

For some reason, I like Seattle Stalwarts. :P
Lamrock

Postby Fresh8 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:19 pm

I think I've got the name in mind now. Thanks guys.

Also, whilst looking through my NBA Live 06 dynasty, I noticed some cool 'coincidences'. I traded for Kwame Brown before it happened in real life. However, he did not become the star that he was in my dynasty in real life. Kobe won MVP about 2-3 years earlier... and the Lakers won the championship against the Boston Celtics.

In the season we won, we had a rookie PG who was white (ie. Jordan Farmar? lol); we had Carlos Boozer and Ron Artest forming a crazy frontcourt with Kwame (In real life: Bynum, Gasol, Odom)... Sort of different but sort of similar. I just thought it was interesting. :)
Fresh8

Postby Mark. on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:41 pm

You should start predicting the future for money then :P

Nice idea with this, havent had a chance to read through the chapters yet but I trust they are up to your usual standard :D

Keep it up.

Oh btw I like Steamers, but agree that bringing back the Sonics would be cool
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Fresh8 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:47 am

Chapter 1

“Congratulations Mr Payton, on your consortium’s acquisition of Seattle’s basketball franchise,” Howard Schultz, shaking Payton’s hand, announced to all of those in attendance at the press conference, “It is an honour to hand over the rights of this franchise to a past player and legend involved in Seattle basketball.”
Gary Payton then spoke into the microphone, “I am very happy to be a part of bringing the team back to Seattle. When the Sonics were moved to Oklahoma City, everyone knew that I was not happy. I told you all that we would have our team back and I thank Howard for all that he has done to help make my dream, and this city’s dream, come true.”
Payton continued speaking to the audience, “My team has decided that we will not readopt the team colors and logo of the Seattle Supersonics. After all of the incidents that have passed, we believe that it is time to go in a new direction with this franchise. This is a good opportunity for us to make a new identity for ourselves and for this reason; we will change the team logo and team colors before the new season starts in a few weeks.”
The team spokesman then prompted the journalists sitting in front of Payton, “Mr Payton is now able to answer your questions.”
“Woody Hannes, ESPN, Mr Payton; what will happen to the players of the Oklahoma City Thunder? Are you planning on retaining all of the players?”
Payton thought for a moment, “Since the players were originally signed to contracts for this particular franchise, they will all be staying with this team. However, we have decided that we will give all of the players an option to opt out now or change conditions in their contracts if both parties see fit. We have also decided that we will conduct a few workouts with free agents who may be interested in joining our new team.”
“Rebecca Jones, Seattle Times; have you got any ideas on a team name?”
“My team, who will become the team’s Board, have come up with a shortlist of names. We will put it out to the public and gather their feedback before making a final decision.”
“Jackson White, from the PI; there are rumours that you will become the new General Manager of this franchise Mr Payton. Is that true?”
Payton shook his head, “No, I will not be in that role however I will be the new head coach.”
There was a collective gasp as the same reporter asked, “What will become of P.J. Carlesimo?”
“Coach Carlesimo was informed of the Board’s decision this morning and he has been offered a job to stay with Seattle,” Payton replied, “Unfortunately, he had declined. I would like to thank him for his contribution to the team last season.”
“Mr Payton…” one reporter started to ask before Payton joked, “It’s Coach Payton now.”
Most of the people in the room laughed as the reporter smiled and finished his question, “Coach Payton, what do you feel that you can bring to the team?”
Payton was his own confident self as he answered the question, “I’m going to bring discipline, leadership, and a heck of an exciting team to watch. My team will play hard, hustle, and will make sure that other teams have a very tough time scoring against us.”

Will Sit got the call just after midday, whilst having lunch with a friend in sunny California.
“Hello?”
He listened intently to the voice on the other end.
“You’re offering me a position?” he asked in a surprised tone then hesitantly added, “Yes, I’m free for an interview.”
He was on the phone for a while longer before hanging up. Sit said to Vince Thompson, “Well, it looks like I need to get a flight out of here to Seattle pronto.”

Gary Payton was dressed in a nice suit, sitting on a panel of Board members interviewing Sit.
“I’m a huge fan of yours Mr Payton,” Sit told him.
Payton didn’t show any emotion but he was thinking, suck up, and continued with the interview, “Why do you want this job?”
Sit laughed, “You guys want me. You guys rang me and I’m just here because it’s been a while since I managed a team. Let’s skip ahead to talk about the contract because let’s face it – you guys are just happy I’m the only one who actually came to do an interview.”
The Board members all looked at each other before one of the older ones asked Sit, “What can you offer us then?”
Sit thought for a moment, “What do you expect of me? What do you want from me?”
Payton shot back, “We want this team to contend. I want to work with a team that can play with all the values I put in place. I need you to build that team for me.”
“I promise you that I will have a roster capable of making the playoffs in three seasons. No more but no less.”
“That’s a big promise,” one of the other members on the panel stated, “Are you sure you can deliver?”
“I never back out on a promise,” Sit winked.
“Congratulations,” Gary Payton said, “You’ve got the job.”
Sit stood up and shook all the members’ hands before receiving a copy of his contract. He had a look at it before signing it.

It was only a day after signing his new contract that Sit had to begin work at his new job. Sit and Payton had to interview each and every player of the Seattle squad. Their job was to explain to them the new and unique situation in which their team was in and how the players were going to be offered new contracts. The last interview was with Kevin Durant.
“So you’re going to waive all of the old conditions on my contract and I’m going to sign for one year?” Durant asked, with his agent sitting next to him.
Sit nodded, “That’s the plan. We think it’s best for both parties.”
Durant talked to his agent before saying, “I don’t know if this is a wise move.”
“Kevin, you are young and talented. If you are scared that we wouldn’t sign you to a new contract next season, I am sure that other teams will,” Sit reassured him, “Don’t worry because we want you in this team’s future. We are only doing one year contracts for everyone right now so that both parties are in a flexible position.”
Durant’s agent cleared his throat, “My client will sign the one year deal.”
Sit smiled as he and Payton both rose out of their seats. Durant and his agent did the same and all four of them shook hands with each other.
“Nice doing business with you,” Sit said.

Seattle had two weeks to prepare for the NBA season. The first week was used to finalize the playing roster and organize other administration issues. Sit had been to Key Arena to check on the court being redone despite not knowing what the colors the team would adopt. He didn’t even know what the name of the team would be. He arrived at the team’s practice facility as the players were finishing another hard training session.
“Run harder!” Payton yelled at his players, “Come on, I could beat all of you right now! Put more effort into it!”
The Glove was a brutal coach and Sit knew it, This is why he is one of the best! He had no doubt that Payton would make a decent coach. As the players finished their sprints, they hit the showers. Payton saw Sit on the sideline and walked up to him.
“How are you doing?” Payton was in a joyful mood.
“Good training session?” Sit asked.
Payton nodded, “These boys better be ready for the first game. We’re on a tight schedule but they are all young and should be able to adapt quickly.”
“I just came by to tell you to have the team ready tomorrow for media day,” Sit told Payton, “After that, the team will meet the fans outside Key Arena.”
Suddenly, Payton pouted, “I thought that was going to be in a few days.”
“Well, I pushed it forward,” Sit boldly stated, “You could use your energy to focus on getting the team ready instead of worrying about other things.”
Payton wasn’t happy, “Are you saying I can’t do my job?”
“Look,” Sit began, “I just think you need to understand that you can’t do everything. Your job is to coach and my job is to manage. Let’s keep that line straight ok?”
Payton threw his towel on the ground, “No, you are saying that I am not competent. You think I’m not smart enough for this job!”
Sit looked annoyed, “I didn’t say anything like that. Perhaps you should go see a shrink if you’re feeling a little bit insecure.”
Payton cursed at Sit and then threatened him, “Don’t forget that although you are the GM, I still own part of this team. I am higher than you and I can get you fired.”
Payton turned around and stormed off the practice court. Sit shook his head, I don’t have time to deal with temper tantrums.

Kevin Durant and his teammates were shuttled across town all morning and they were finally outside Key Arena in front of their adoring fans. People of all ages were there to greet their team; many of them were dressed in Sonics’ gear. Sit was in front of the team speaking into the microphone.
“Seattle fans! We are proud to announce the new name of your team!”
The crowd cheered and had to be waited upon to quiet down.
“Please make welcome… your Seattle Stealth!”
The crowd didn’t roar with approval as Sit would have wanted. There were even a few boos and that was because he knew that ‘Sonics’ was the popular choice for the team name. However he thought to himself, At least this shows that the fans have heart. Now it’s time for the Stealth to capture them and feed off their passion and get back to the upper echelon of the NBA!
Last edited by Fresh8 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fresh8

Postby Lamrock on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:41 pm

Seattle Steamers... not the same, but the best available name.

Excellent chapter. Payton looks like the new Harrington/Griffin here. Can't wait to see where that rivalry goes. I also liked how you dealt with the contract changing issue. Fucking archaic create-a-team feature.

Good luck with the next chapter. One suggestion: Use size 14 font rather than standard 12. You did it with A Legend Is Born 1; and me and Chaser agree that it works better. Either way, I can't wait to see where this goes. (Y)
Lamrock

Postby Fresh8 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:17 pm

The story so far...

Seattle Appoints New Head Coach, General Manager

October 15, 2008

SEATTLE (AP) – Former Seattle player Gary Payton is now an owner of the team he helped take to the 1996 NBA Finals. But don’t forget to take note that he is also the new Head Coach of the franchise. ‘The Glove’ announced at a press conference that he would take the reigns of the team and promised that ‘opposition teams would find it very hard to score.’

The 40 year old takes over from PJ Carlesimo, who declined the franchise’s offer of a front office position. Payton announced his job in having the team back in Seattle and stated, “I’m going to bring a heck of an exciting team to watch.”

Seattle’s new General Manager was announced with 20 year old Will Sit filling up the position. The young Australian had taken a two year hiatus from professional basketball and it has seemed as if he has come back out of the blue. Sit is best known for his short stints with the Atlanta Hawks and Minnesota Timberwolves in the 2005-06 season.

Read More…

- - -

Stealth Replace Supersonics As Seattle Renames Team

October 21, 2008

SEATTLE (AP) – Seattle’s basketball franchise has announced that it will adopt the nickname of ‘Stealth’. Stealth was chosen ahead of a list of shortlisted names which included Strike, and Shock. “Although the popular choice from the feedback of our fans was to have the team readopt the Supersonics’ name; we decided that we had to go in a new direction,” new General Manager Will Sit stated, “Thus we chose to go with a new name and we’ve chosen to go with the Stealth.”

When quizzed on why the name was chosen, Sit didn’t elaborate much, “We thought it was unique.” Stealth Head Coach Gary Payton later hinted, “It might be a good way to describe what kind of identity we want this team to have.”

Read More…

- - -

Stealth Signs Darius Miles

October 27, 2008

SEATTLE (AP) – Mercurial Forward Darius Miles has signed with the Seattle Stealth for one season after recently being waived by the Boston Celtics. The 6’9’’ small forward has had an injury plagued career that started off with much promise in his rookie season with the Los Angeles Clippers but started to go downhill as he went from the Clippers to the Cavaliers and then to the Trialblazers.

A member of the 2001 All-Rookie First Team, Miles has not become the player many thought he could be. Recently, he has been dogged by his troublesome knee and troubles off the court. Last season, Miles was waived by the Portland Trailblazers after doctors doubted whether he would ever be able to play again. Boston was impressed by Miles’ health and attitude, which led to him being signed in October.

It was unfortunate for Miles that Boston had to waive him but their loss has become Seattle’s gain. General Manager Will Sit said that the risk involved with Miles’ injury issues and the fact that he would miss the first ten games of the NBA season were all balanced against what the 27 year old may be able to bring to the team. “Darius is a player whom we believe still has the physical tools and talent to play in the NBA. His athleticism may not be as impressive as before all of the injuries but he is still an able athlete and we feel that he will also be an able NBA player for the Stealth.”

Head Coach Gary Payton could not be reached for comment but it is expected that Miles may be in with a shot at being a valuable contributor to the team. It is expected that Miles will join the team for their season opener.
Fresh8

Postby Jing on Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:03 am

Not a bad name, Stealth. (Y)
Jing

Postby Lamrock on Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:24 am

Whoa, you changed the name after my post to my endorsed one. Good to see Stealth be the choice.

Funny to see yet another dynasty with Miles. The dude's the new DaJuan Wagner.
Lamrock

Postby jonthefon on Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:40 am

Are there going to be scenes on Payton trash-talking on the sidelines to opposition players, coaches and then challenging guys in practice to one-on-one games? ;)
jonthefon
Fucking pissed off.

Postby cocobee on Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:03 am

I'm feelin that name, STEALTH...I like the DMiles pick up. Looks good, good luck..will be following.
cocobee
America's Team

Postby The X on Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:59 pm

yep, Stealth was probably the best of the choices....let's see if you can get Stealth to win more than 25 games ;)
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:10 pm

I hope the Seattle Stealth suck monkey nuts for "the "Sonics" renaming.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Lamrock wrote:Whoa, you changed the name after my post to my endorsed one. Good to see Stealth be the choice.

Funny to see yet another dynasty with Miles. The dude's the new DaJuan Wagner.

I have my own reasons for changing the name. :P And I have always been intrigued by Miles. Since people thought he could have been a KG-clone...

jonthefon wrote:Are there going to be scenes on Payton trash-talking on the sidelines to opposition players, coaches and then challenging guys in practice to one-on-one games?

Quite possibly

coco wrote:I'm feelin that name, STEALTH...I like the DMiles pick up. Looks good, good luck..will be following.

Thanks for dropping by man! Hope you enjoy!

X wrote:yep, Stealth was probably the best of the choices....let's see if you can get Stealth to win more than 25 games

Since I'm simming a huge ammount of the season... doubtful...

shadowgrin wrote:I hope the Seattle Stealth suck monkey nuts for "the "Sonics" renaming.

We got really crappy jerseys... plain grey ones. :P Green woulda been better lol
Fresh8

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Seattle, Charlotte Announce Trade
Joe Smith and 2010 Second Round Pick Traded For Adam Morrison

October 27, 2008

SEATTLE (AP) – On the eve of the NBA regular season, the Seattle Stealth and Charlotte Bobcats completed a trade which will send veteran big man Joe Smith for third year forward Adam Morrison. Seattle included a second round pick for the 2010 Draft in the deal to make it go ahead.

The Bobcats had been trying all offseason to find a taker for 6’8’’ Morrison; the third overall pick in the 2006 NBA Draft. The Bobcats felt that the former Gonzaga star was no longer a part of the team’s plans. The 33 year old Joe Smith is in the downside of his playing career but has still proved to be an able scorer, averaging 8 points and 5 rebounds in limited minutes last season with the Cleveland Cavillers. The season prior to that, he averaged double digit points (11.2) in 50 games for the Chicago Bulls; starting 35 games.

Charlotte felt that Sean May’s knee may provide problems for the team and had been searching for a serviceable backup as well as a team that wanted Morrison. “We believe that Joe Smith will be a quality backup to Sean May and locker room presence,” the Bobcats released in a statement, “We thank Adam Morrison for all of his efforts with the franchise and wish him all the best in the future.”

Stealth GM Will Sit stated, “I feel that Adam Morrison has not played to his potential in the NBA and we want to give him a chance to grow on our team. I feel that we will be able to accommodate for him and he would surely give us another scoring option from the perimeter.”

The Stealth open their season against Milwaukee in two days. Adam Morrison is expected to play in that game.

Read More…
Fresh8

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:48 pm

You just redeemed yourself for disrespecting the "Sonics" (renaming) by getting Adam Morrison.
The 'tache will bring you victory!
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Lamrock on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:21 pm

Adam Morrison is the white Antoine Walker as you'll soon find out, but it is a very low risk trade so its a solid deal. (Y)
Lamrock

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:32 pm

You're just jealous of Adam's manly moustache.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Clutch on Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:53 pm

brrrrr... dig your writing style but so far your choices - Miles, 'Stealth' and now the 'Stache - make me cringe :|

at least i'm starting to get the thematic team name; that said i'd suggest signing free agents J.R. Rider and Harold Miner immediately :P
Clutch
^ Life... currently :\

Postby The X on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:33 pm

I like the deal (Y)
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:51 am

Took me a while to see the 2K subforums :lol: gosh I must be blind!

Shadowgrin wrote:The 'tache will bring you victory!

Touche good sir. :)

Lamrock wrote:Adam Morrison is the white Antoine Walker as you'll soon find out, but it is a very low risk trade so its a solid deal

I thought it was awesome deal lol. But yeah, originally the cpu wanted a 2009 pick but I changed it to 2010 second round and they accepted... i love NBA 2k9 lol :)

Clutch wrote:brrrrr... dig your writing style but so far your choices - Miles, 'Stealth' and now the 'Stache - make me cringe

Hows it make you cringe?

X wrote:I like the deal

Thanks X. :) Morrison will be awesome. :) I remember him from your dynasty a while back...
Fresh8

Postby homicide1550 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:46 pm

It was a long read but it was definitely a good one... I like the new team name Seattle Stealth! I also like your acquisition of Miles and Morrison, they can really help your team... Ill be following.. (Y)
Visit my Facebook page: Kicksfix: homicide1550

Click image to view the thread!

KicksFix 2K12 2K13
(Live08) RISE UP! A Cleveland Cavaliers Dynasty

Ranked 7th, Top 10 Dynasty Hall of Fame

homicide1550
Quality Over Quantity

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K Stories Hall of Fame