The GoTo Moves thread (all versions)

Talk about NBA Live 08 here.

The GoTo Moves thread (all versions)

Postby JaoSming on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:36 pm

Post here on how to do goto moves for different players. The 360/PS3 version has a handy dandy popup video on how to do the moves....the PS2 version was not so lucky. So feel free to use this thread discussing different goto moves and how to pull off your favorites.

PC/PS2 Version
Must be in a 5v5 game or 1v1. Cannot do gtms in practice mode.

The following players' goto moves require you to back down the opponent and then fadeaway from the basket with a shot.

Gilbert Arenas
Chris Bosh
Elton Brand
Vince Carter
Kobe Bryant
Tracy McGrady
Dirk Nowitzki
Dwayne Wade

The following players' goto moves require you do lean towards the basket with a shot.

Allen Iverson
Steve Nash
Chris Paul

And the following players have special conditions....maybe

Lebron James, any fadeaway shot, usually occurs near the 3 point line.

Tony Parker, tear drop shot, in the lane lean towards the basket.

Tim Duncan, bank shot, usually occurs around a 45 degree angle to the basket.
Last edited by JaoSming on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby diddy on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:47 pm

not bad, but too little!
only god can judge me
My graphic thread My Recent Blog Entry
Ricky Roma from Miami Heat forums wrote:" Celtic fans: We lead the league in age, fat aszes, O'neals, senior citizens, and acting! Don't mess with us, cause we got rondo!! YOU HEAR ME!! RONDO!!!!"

2pac wrote:through every dark night, there's a bright day after that, so no matter how hard it get, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
diddy
Miami Heat starting PG

Postby JaoSming on Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:15 am

I should probably note all of the players who have animation files, but dont have either a sig shot or a GTM.

Amare
Carmelo
Dwight Howard
Ginobli
Jermaine Oneal
Rashard Lewis
Pau Gasol
Paul Pierce
Ron Artest
Shaq
Yao
Zarando
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby jusagamerk26 on Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:07 am

the go to move for kobe has a special condition also i think..
the time should be running down so he can pull off his go to move fade away shot..
jusagamerk26

Postby d-fish on Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:31 am

Thanks for the heads up, Jaosming. This will come in helpful. (Y)
RETIRED MODDER I used to MOD, but I quit because people & whatnot...
d-fish

Postby michaelc37 on Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:19 am

Wuts wrong with EA.
this is f***ed up, are u telling me that KOBE BRYANT, can only do his sig fade when backing down? Does EA kno who kobe bryant is? Bull Sh*t. Thats it, I had enuff, fk it, am sick of this, am buying an 360 and gettin 2k. EA has pissed on me way too much. to think how hard i worked and saved to buy nba live pc games over the years, all those buckets of kfc chicken i had to sacrifice, all those friday night theater movies and those other pleasures i had to sacrifice. NBA live , its over, we' re done, i dont wanna see u in u, or ur name in my inbox ever again. You dont deserve me or my money, so fk off. PEACE!!!
michaelc37

Postby 617KiD on Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:10 am

well its about time you get a 360, they cant make kobe do everything on ps2 that he does on 360...and by the way my friend just bought 2k and he wants to bring it back and get live...we only played 4 games too...HALO 3 = the SH!T
Houston Rockets...gotta have faith!
617KiD

Postby d-fish on Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:29 am

michaelc37 wrote:Wuts wrong with EA.
this is f***ed up, are u telling me that KOBE BRYANT, can only do his sig fade when backing down? Does EA kno who kobe bryant is? Bull Sh*t. Thats it, I had enuff, fk it, am sick of this, am buying an 360 and gettin 2k. EA has pissed on me way too much. to think how hard i worked and saved to buy nba live pc games over the years, all those buckets of kfc chicken i had to sacrifice, all those friday night theater movies and those other pleasures i had to sacrifice. NBA live , its over, we' re done, i dont wanna see u in u, or ur name in my inbox ever again. You dont deserve me or my money, so fk off. PEACE!!!

:lol: :lol: I don't know if this is real or not, but it is funny either way... especially the KFC part... :lol: :lol:
RETIRED MODDER I used to MOD, but I quit because people & whatnot...
d-fish

Postby MmP on Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:31 am

Jao, does Manu Ginobili has a GTM or a sig shot?
MmP

Postby JaoSming on Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:09 am

in the PS2 version, nada. I havent gotten my 360 version yet.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby bigh0rt on Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:24 am

michaelc37 wrote:Wuts wrong with EA.

I didn't know I signed up for How to Look Like a Retard 101. Interesting.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Cool2Fool on Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:09 am

Can you tell me how to get the Hot spot to appear on the court? I just got mine today and I dunno if I'm not used to the control yet but I don't fidn it fun to play at all. :( Big disappointment on Rookie CF's especially K-Durant, Look nothing like him.
Cool2Fool

Postby jusagamerk26 on Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:29 am

i think you should hold the L3 button for the hotspots to appear..
jusagamerk26

Postby [Q] on Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:44 pm

just3n21 wrote:i think you should hold the L3 button for the hotspots to appear..

word. then we could separate the alley oop & direct switch. that was the worst idea putting those two together. sometimes, i push it to find and open guy and then i find one open real quick before the icons come up and i let go to pass with X and i alley oop instead. i've learned to deal with it, but it still happens once in a while.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Cool2Fool on Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:49 pm

just3n21 wrote:i think you should hold the L3 button for the hotspots to appear..

ah thanks :P. Do you know how to boxout? That's the one thing I couldn't do from nba live 2003~ 08
Cool2Fool

Postby JaoSming on Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:58 pm

down on the right analog stick or L1
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby k-d on Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:08 am

and Baron Davis doesn't have any go-to move?
k-d

Postby JaoSming on Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:19 am

not in the PS2 version at least, I havent gotten my 360 copy yet.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:34 pm

Correct. On the PS2 version you can only bring up Hot Spots during gameplay though, not in Practice Mode.

k-d wrote:and Baron Davis doesn't have any go-to move?

He's got a Go To Move in the Xbox 360 version, a jump stop/jumpshot that can be triggered by holding the left stick back and to the left or right.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby joeyboy23 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:35 pm

i love the gameplay now of NBA live 08, played a couple of games. i had to revese my comment on the HOT SPOTS issue i wrote yesterday coz i played 1 on 1 with computer. it's different when playing 5on5, if ur shot got contested and if its not his HOT SPOTS + no MOMENTUM meter its hard to drain a long jumper. that is if you play the conventional way. BUT...

TO BEAT THE GAME....
the best way to score is pass it to your wingman and drive to the basket hard for the dunk, before AI could setup their defense coz AI doesn't react that well to a fast breaking 1 man SG superstar like KOBE. never lost a game in the dynasty playing SUPERSTAR mode, if theyd react i'd stay inside no charge zone and dunk before 3 second buzzer sounds. a lot like NBA 07, but sometimes defense would catch you which is an improvement to last year. all you can do about it is take the charge and hope you get the call.

the 1st game - sonics(me) versus portland(computer) which i lost by a blow out 20+ points(AI defense was good and i played run and gun and pick and rolled in setup all game) had a hard time stopping their fastbreaking guard in B. ROY coz they had momentum meter up

2nd game Phoenix(me) Wahsington - got into deep trouble early, deficit by 10 points but when my own momentum went up and trapped fullcourt 2-2-1 i had a lot fun this time coz my defense went to work and turned the deficit around - was amazed of MARIONS signature 2 hand chest 3 point shot - :lol: hehe. finally they got his shooting in the game, won by a decent margin this time.

3rd game Greece(me) versus(Lakers), PAPALOUKAS went to work early and so was ODOM. Hard to stop player (Odom) who's in his hot spot plus momentum meter up, even if i jumped in his face he'd still make it 4-5 FG% unlike last year wherein you won't make shots even if you hit the superstar inside scorer button vs a contested shot. trapped again and didn't had momentum but nonetheless it was a good scoring ball game(tit for tat) went inside with PAPADOPOULUS - Power C play(lobbed it in of course). 4th quarter came and KOBE took over 10+pts in the quarter, i had a hard time hitting the clutch baskets with the GREEKS and i lost the game. but its worth it coz my defense was good.

4th game Spain(me) versus Argentina. went inside to GASOL tried to dominate the paint, but defense is good. sometimes i'd dunk it in and sometimes AI blocked my shot underneath then took the ball. hard to pass inside if you didn't lob the pass in, easy pcikup if bounced pass and got deflected if outside defender has good defense like (Ginobili) etc. 4th quarter - Ginobili torched me with timely and clutch 3 pointers together with the other guards. whew, tough to stop a superstar and in momentum.

i feel sorry for that guy who had to save money, from where i'm from we don't spend that much. it's cheaper here. :) hehe, i played Dynasty with the lakers. you should consider buying it man, i suggest you play the whole game coz dats when u get to feel the game.

i noticed that when i put the fatigue to high AI doesn't get that tired compared to my team, maybe because i took a lot of trapping defense but we'll have to see. i took 2 full quarters 3rd and 4th but still not that much fatigue in AI, only my players got exhausted and i still played it through. does the AI get affected by fatigue settings equal to the player controlled?!

MOMENTUM METER + HOT SPOTS are UP its hard to stop THE PLAY OF THE SUPERSTAR AI.

MOMENTUM METER + HOT SPOTS are DOWN take a timeout or go to your SUPERSTAR and let him go to his GO TO ZONE to stop the drought.

you can now play crucial moments of the game so u don't have to play all 82 games in the 2nd half. much more like MADDEN 07. but sometimes CRUCIAL won't trigger if the games a blowout. so u have to intervene occasionally and go back and re-simulate it again.

FINAL GAME BREAKDOWN...
THIS GAME IS GOOD IF YOU PLAY IT NBA STYLE...
HAD A LOT OF FUN TODAY PLAYING AGAINST THE AI, I FEEL SATISFIED WITH THIS YEARS GAME CONSIDERING IT'S VERY MUCH PLAYABLE NOW.
WANT TO TRY IT VERSUS A HUMAN PLAYER THOUGH TO SEE IF I CAN STOP THE TRANSITION GAME OF A 1 MAN TEAM. MY COUSIN'S PLAYSTYLE IS LIKE THIS AND THAT'S HOW WE SEE IF THE GAME IS GOOD. IF IT'S STILL LIKE LAST YEARS UNSTOPPABLE THEN TOO BAD, BUT IF ITS LIKE THE AI VERSION THEN I TAKE MY HATS OFF TO EA. ALL YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT IS TAKE THE CHARGE OR TRAP HIM ALL DAY LONG. keep you posted...

NBA LIVE GAMERS... :D

my friend says they like 2k8 more coz they play at home player vs player. maybe i'd buy it this weekend and try it with the AI first then player vs player.
joeyboy23

Postby joar32 on Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:11 pm

I just got the PS3 Version of NBA Live 08. Regarding the goto moves. I noticed that they were all jumpshots and fadeaways. Only Shaq seemed different with a jump hook.

In the practice session, you can customize which player to practice with and if that certain player has a goto move, they actually superimposed a video (its a small window opened on the top right corner) of that player's move in live action then transitions to the NBA Live 08 CG version -- which was cool...

But still mostly jumpers and fadeaways...I was expecting a lot more for a third generation game. :?
joar32

Postby D12 on Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:07 am

Is NBA LIVE 08 FOR pc have go to moves,hot spots and own the paint
D12

Postby Mars2pac on Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:18 pm

D12 wrote:Is NBA LIVE 08 FOR pc have go to moves,hot spots and own the paint
Yes because is a direct port from ps2 version.
Mars2pac

Postby Cool2Fool on Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:23 am

D12 wrote:Is NBA LIVE 08 FOR pc have go to moves,hot spots and own the paint

no own the paint :D
Cool2Fool

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:51 pm

Additionally, Go To Moves are implemented differently in the PS2 version compared to the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA Live 08