nets in nba live 2004

Discussion about NBA Live 2004.

Postby Metsis on Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:58 pm

Andrew again said it best... You should have great trouble scoring from the line with Shaq and Big Ben, but when you go to line with someone like Kerr or Reggie, well those just should be automatic. There needs to be a bigger difference in the t-meter speed.

I usually shoot .750, .550, .450 and guess which is the free throw shooting percentage??? It should be the first shouldn't it, but no it's the last. The free throws (I'll say it again: The EASIEST shot in the game) are from hell in Live 2003. Atleast with PC players. It just is no good...

The better shooters need to shoot it well and the bad shooters need to shoot it awful... I just don't care about free throws in 2003 anymore. I find that it's more easier to grab the offensive board and put the points up that way.
Metsis

Postby EGarrett on Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:15 pm

The solution is pretty simple. Just handle free throws the same way they do every other shot...you time and release and the player's rating determines whether it goes in or not. With Shaq...even with a perfect release...you should have a 52% chance of the shot going in. Likewise, with Steve Nash you can have a 90% chance.
EGarrett

Postby Colin on Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:11 pm

EGarrett wrote:The solution is pretty simple. Just handle free throws the same way they do every other shot...you time and release and the player's rating determines whether it goes in or not. With Shaq...even with a perfect release...you should have a 52% chance of the shot going in. Likewise, with Steve Nash you can have a 90% chance.
Well then if you missed it would be easy to get angry and think why did I miss that shot. With the T-meter at least you know why you missed it.
C#
Pretty Flaco
Colin

Postby Metsis on Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:21 pm

The t-meter serves it's purpose... It is good to know that you missed cause you failed to drop that shot. It has always been in the game and it should be there in the future too.

One thing that they could do is that if they keep the t-meter as it is. Too frikkin fast, but the area of mistake should be much larger for better shooters. So the balls should have to stop quite near the middle for Shaq and Ben, but with Kerr you'd have more of a freedom in the shot. So it would fall even if it would miss with a bad shooter.

I believe that this kind of a calculation method could work quite well.

1. See how far the balls are from the center.

2. See if either of the balls are too far away (either the shot going too wide or too short or long) and remember to calculate the backboard into the mix.

3. Compare balls distance from center to the players free throw rating.

And if the distance is less then a relative number given from the free throw rating, well the shot should fall, and if not well you'd get a miss.

In this system the t-meter would be more forgiving for the better shooters. The ball should have three different speeds.

Faster speed for players with rating below 65

Normal speed for players with free throw rating ranging from 65-85

Slower speed for players with ratings above 85

So when you have two players within the normal speed limits say a guy with 70 and another with 80. The ball would go equally fast for each of these players, but still it would be easier to hit with the 80 rated guy.

About speed ratios: The largest area for success should always be at the highest level of a speed class. So a player with free throws 85 would have the largest area in the normal class and a guy with 86 would have the smallest area in the slow class. The area for failure should be smaller with the 86 guy then the 85 guy, but with the ball speed being lower he should still hit about the same as the 85 guy.

Here's something to wrap your minds around today guys... I hope this makes some sense.
Metsis

Postby Andreas Dahl on Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:42 pm

if feel you there Metsis, i agree with all of it
exept the section at the end... you lost me there :? (im tired...)
Andreas Dahl

Postby gut on Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:47 pm

regarding the FT in the game~
did anyone notice that the T-meter was changed a little bit ?(according to the 17 mins video)

it is on the backboard :D
cool.
to me it's quite a fresh idea ~ quite funny i think~

besides, how about thinking of another FT system?
let's say, the FT rating of a player will not vary the speed in the T-meter (or just a little bit different), but vary the aiming area.
Therefore, the higher the FT rating, the larger the aiming.

just like some other sports game~

it makes not much different of the existing system..
however, i think this is more suitable for a rookie of nba live

but anyway, it's only my imagination. :lol:
gut

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:09 pm

I like the idea of having a larger margin of error for better free throw shooters. I think it would capture the idea of players being automatic from the line - they don't have to take the time to settle themselves and line everything up for a good attempt, they can just step up and make the free throw.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Metsis on Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:35 pm

The problem with all the free throws being at the same speed is the fact that you can get used to the speed, and thus you can sink a free throw with pretty much anyone after that. Three different levels of speed and different sized hit-zones would keep the player guessing at least a little. And it would be pretty much automatic with the people with ratings of 95, cause the speed would be the slowest and the zone would be pretty big too.

With this system the speed of the t-meter would have to be pretty high, so that it wouldn't be that easy to hit the dead center of the t-meter. But it would implement the fact that there are players that just take you to the butchers shop if you put them on the line.

Free Throw is the easiest shot in the game for most...
Metsis

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:32 pm

The same should go for the CPU. Lousy free throw shooters should not consistently have career best performances from the line every time you play them. Guys who shoot around 80% should have off-nights from time to time.

Basically, if I'm playing the Lakers and I decide to employ the Hack-a-Shaq method, he should not shoot 20/20 from the charity stripe. Granted, Shaq does have good free throw shooting games, but not frequently. His career high of 19 free throws made in a game still came off a career high 31 attempts.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Bredrin on Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:46 am

wow u guys really went of topic in this one :?
Bredrin

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:54 am

True, but it was not intentionally thrown off discussion, rather the conversation progressed from net animations to free throw shooting.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Metsis on Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:08 pm

I'll take atleast some of the blame for this... Free throws were just something that really needed some attention.

And isn't it with free throws when you really have the time to look at the net mechanics???
Metsis

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:00 pm

And isn't it with free throws when you really have the time to look at the net mechanics???

Indeed, it's the best view we have of the rim and net physics.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby - Ace - on Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:18 pm

They should randomize free throw shooting by basing it on a weighted-average of free throw percentage, luck, and home court/away, clutch and crowd. Throw away the T-meter and let the computer decide if it goes in based on the above variables. Or base it on the above variables and the T-meter, such that even if the user gets a perfect T-meter the player might miss the free throw due to the other variables.

Or vary the T-meter(speed, or size, or accuracy) depending on the game situation. for example, end of the game scored tied or team down by one.
- Ace -

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:23 pm

I don't think they should get rid of the T-Meter. As stated many times before, free throws are the easiest shot in basketball, so you should have a chance to shoot a high percentage from the foul line in NBA Live. It's the one shot in basketball where you always have a chance to ready yourself, square yourself to the basket, and attempt a good shot.

The T-Meter best represents this idea, as well as the way that you can miss free throws - you could be on target, but you might shoot the ball too short or too long.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby - Ace - on Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:26 pm

True. But if a user can have shaq shoot 20/20 in superstar mode--that isn't respresentative of what can happen in real life.
- Ace -

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:37 pm

Of course not. But more often than not it's the CPU that shoots high percentages with lousy free throw shooters. Their simulated performance may be accurate, but they shouldn't have a career game from the line every time they face a human opponent.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby - Ace - on Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:41 pm

Computer opponents usually have realistic free throw stats against me. ie baron davis clanks a ton. Usually, its the unrealistic field goal shooting of computer opponents which makes me mad.
- Ace -

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:48 pm

Field goal percentage (and fourth quarter three point percentage) is a larger concern. Still, it's not uncommon in my experience for the CPU to shoot well with poor free throw shooters.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Metsis on Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:48 pm

Play any other version of NBA Live then 2003 and you will see that this is only a problem in 2003. Most parts of the game well the fts have been too easy to drop, so you end up shooting over 90% of them. But when you half that percentage in a single update, well that's just asking for problems.

Teams should shoot about 75-80% of their free throws. Depending on who ends up on the line and how much. But a 75% average is probably quite right.

The t-meter just needs a bigger difference in speeds, so it's easy with a good shooter and very difficult with a bad shooter.
Metsis

Postby EGarrett on Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:47 am

colin826 wrote:Well then if you missed it would be easy to get angry and think why did I miss that shot. With the T-meter at least you know why you missed it.

If you can deal with it in every other shot you take in the game...you can deal with it at the free throw line.

When you give players complete control over whether a shot goes in then you will get unrealistic percentages...sooner or later people will make a high percentage no matter who they're shooting with. Then...the computer has to do the same to provide a challenge and you spiral out of control.

Just challenge players to release the shot at the right time...and if your shooter sucks...just like shooting a three pointer with Shaq...don't count on it going in.
EGarrett

Postby sirg on Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:11 am

Actually, I like the Tmeter system in live2003. It enables Shaq to average 93% in FT efficency lol. I think I played a previous version of live (or sega I don't remember) years ago on psx and the FT's were nearly impossible to make. You had to line up the arrows with the top buttons. I always dreaded coming to the FT line. Anyone remember that?
sirg

Re: nets in nba live 2004

Postby T-MAC-power on Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:37 pm

I think Nba Live 2003 is too far realistic in context of rim-ball-net bounce/and net animations. 2004 is horrible. It was great. Simply.
TRACY McGRADY won't be denied!
T-MAC-power

Re: nets in nba live 2004

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:49 pm

Another pointless bump of an old thread here. Stop doing this.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Previous

Return to NBA Live 2004