General Football/Soccer Talk

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Postby KIG1 on Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:35 pm

Zidane stomped on somebody in the 98 cup though. Still it doesn't seem like he would do such a thing.
KIG1

Postby dada on Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:49 pm

Srbija wrote:dadamafia, Why else would Zidane headbutt him ? Zidane has never done anything of this sort in his entire professional career and in the last.. what, 10 minutes of his career? He does this.
Materazzi definately said something very nasty, because Zidane has copped shit on the field, but for him to headbutt Materazzi it must've been very bad (I'm thinking it was about his mother & sister)

I know something mean was said but I am just not sure what. Both guys are saying something different but people are acting like just because Zidane says something goes a certain way it has to be true. I see no reason to put Zidane's word over Materazzi's just because of how great he plays. I mean, just look at it, who is the one deflecting blame and not conceding the fact they were wrong regardless?
dada

Postby Joe' on Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:33 am

I rather believe Zidane than Materazzi...because Materazzi demonstrated in previous episodes (I'm tired of saying this but i.e. when he broke the nose/lip of the Siena player) that he's not an attendable person.
Dear Old World, you represent everything that's wrong...
Joe'
Sir Psycho Sexy

Postby Dro on Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:04 am

dadamafia wrote:So Materazzi is a liar because Zidane says he did it? Its really funny how Zidane still has everyone wrapped around his fingers. I cant just sit and say Materazzi is a lying bastard because Zidane may be also. For sure somebody is lying but its just one guy's word to the other. Materazzi has always pleaded the same story and there has been alot of fabrication on the other side. What ever happened to the "terrorist', where did that come from? Whatever the source, just because you hate Italy doesnt make the guy guilty. Zidane is just doing what he has to do to get everyone on his side again.

The whole terrorist thing came from the media, who hired lip-readers to try to find out what Materazzi said.
http://thesportspread.blogspot.com/

^^^Visit my blog! Nothing too interesting, but I try to make a post every day, and I try to go in depth. Please leave lots of negative feedback! I want to become a sports journalist on the side some day, and I know I have a looooooong way to go.

***Note: I had make a new URL because for some reason I couldn't log into the old one...bummer.
Dro

Postby dada on Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:17 am

Joe. wrote:I rather believe Zidane than Materazzi...because Materazzi demonstrated in previous episodes (I'm tired of saying this but i.e. when he broke the nose/lip of the Siena player) that he's not an attendable person.

Ok Materazzi did that and you are right. (y)
Zidane is squeaky clean compared to Materazzi.

Zidane:

1998- stomped on that Saudi player named Fuad Amin in the World Cup and got red.

2001- head-butted Jochen Kientz in a Champions League match and got red.

EDIT: I found an article but didnt want to post a new comment so here it is:

Zidane's Penchant For The Ridiculous Red In the light of Zidane's head-butt, Goal.com recalls some of the previous occasions when the legend saw red along similar lines.
Photo

A true footballing legend, it seems Zidane has always had a penchant for red cards, particularly over incidents off the ball.

Here are a few which immediately spring to mind.

World Cup 1998 (vs. Saudi Arabia)
(Stamping)

What better place to start than the competition that made him!

It was a first round match against minnows Saudi Arabia, which could be why it faded from memory sooner than this one will. Besides, he was hardly the icon that he is now.

The act itself was an incident which took place off the ball, as he retaliated in anger by stamping on Saudi skipper Fuad Amin.

He was immediately sent of by the referee, with twenty minutes left on the clock, and subsequently handed a two match suspension.

However, unlike this time, that was a match France won at a canter. Also unlike this time, he would get a chance to redeem himself.

And the redemption couldn't have been better, with some fabulous displays to guide France to their first World Cup, including a brace in the 3-0 win over Brazil in the final.

However, not all in the Saudi Arabia camp were happy with the regulation two match suspension that he had received, for the very deliberate stamp.

Champions League 2000-01 (vs. Deportivo and vs. Hamburg)
(Head-butting)

He had just won the European Championships with France that summer, and was one of the favourites to win the World Player of the Year award again, after 1998. Indeed, one of the toasts of world football!

However, September and October saw him pick up consecutive red cards for Juventus in the Champions League, either side of the suspension. The second one, against Hamburg in October, becomes particularly relevant now.

Zidane got a direct red, for another incident which had little to do with the ball. His offence? A head-butt on Jochen Keintz!

So outrageously violent was the head-butt, that he was immediately handed a five match ban by Uefa. Incidentally, it was also his tenth career red card.

That, after he had only just returned from suspension following his ninth, picked up against Deportivo la Coruna, in the same competition a month earlier

He went on to win the World Player of the Year award just a couple of month later, while still suspended from Champions League action for his club, in what received heavy criticism from certain quarters.

Copa del Rey 2003-04 (vs. Sevilla)
(Slapping)

In February 2004, Sevilla came to El Bernabeu for the second leg of the 'Cup' semi-final, with Real Madrid favourites thanks to a 2-0 win in the first leg.

However, Zidane lost his head following a challenge and slapped Sevilla defender Pablo Alfaro smack in the face. He was duly sent off, and Real Madrid seemed to be all at sea, as Sevilla had already scored once.

But the visitors also had Javi Navarro sent off, and Real somehow managed to restrict them to a 1-0 win, thereby qualifying for the final on aggregate.

Primera Liga 2003-04 (vs. Deportivo)
(Kicking)

Deportivo certainly seem to know how to get the worst out of Zidane. It was May, with the League title on the line. Valencia had just pushed Real Madrid into second place by a solitary point, and with four matches left, there was everything to play for. A win was absolutely crucial to keep the pressure on Valencia, who were to play Real Betis the next day.

Real had only recently lost the Copa del Rey final to Zaragoza, and the Champions League semi-final to Juventus, as Carlos Quieroz's dreams of a treble had come crashing down. The League was their only chance to save face, as they headed to the Riazor.

Deportivo took the lead much against the run of play through a precise Diego Tristan strike, from their first real attack in thirty minutes. Zidane was growing particularly flustered with some of his tussles with Djalminha, and picked up an unnecessary yellow before the break.

He seemed to come out fired up for the second half. Unfortunately, it was all misdirected into a merciless chop on Djalminha, with no chance at the ball, barely four minutes into the half.

Real were left to make do with ten men, in one of their most crucial games of the season, and were sent home with a 2-0 mauling.

Valencia won the next day to get a four point lead, while Real Madrid collapsed under the defeat, eventually finishing fourth, after failing to pick up even a single point from the final three games.

Verdict

There is no doubting that 'Zizou' has been one of the best players to ever step onto the pitch. World Cup, European Championship, Champions League, domestic titles in Spain and Italy, and individual accolades say it all.

But all that said, he has let his temper run away from him a little too often, with around 20 career red cards, and quite a few very ugly ones. Two direct red cards in World Cups, not due to rash tackles, or unintentional elbows, but cynical retaliatory gestures, tell their own story.

His performances with the ball have helped push those moments of indiscretion into oblivion ever so often. Which is why this one could linger for a while!

And football is most defenitely worse for it, no matter whom you support!

We should investigate into what they said to him because he is so important and should not be held responsible for his actions? One should be chastised for what they say but not what they do?

I am in no way saying Zidane is to blame but the way people are treating Materazzi is unfair. Do you really believe it is so necessary for FIFA to be investigating into an issue where one guy told the other about their mum (if that is even true)? Wow, this is the first time anyone has ever done that on the pitch, I'm sure guys like Wayne Rooney has never said anything mean to anyone before. :roll:

Everybody needs to take a chill break and stop eating feces out of Zidane's palms. The guy was wrong too, point blank. Zidane being more so because he resorted to violence. Again, both are wrong, not solely Materazzi.
Last edited by dada on Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dada

Postby sdude on Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:57 am

something for barca fans. Next season jersey:

Image :)
sdude

Postby dada on Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:04 am

This too supposedly. (y)

Heres a better pic of yours.

Hers Real Madrid's for good measure.

Ladies.

Training.

Got them on maxxed forums.
dada

Postby Joe' on Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:17 am

dadamafia wrote:Zidane:

1998- stomped on that Saudi player named Fuad Amin in the World Cup and got red.

2001- head-butted Jochen Kientz in a Champions League match and got red.

It would take like 4 hours to list all the "red card" (the red card was never showed to Materazzi since we have a shitty/corrupt referee system here in Italy) faults by Materazzi, but I really want to show you how Materazzi actually plays in Serie A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJPKM5aJ ... =materazzi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVFMuY1C ... =materazzi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okNah_cP ... =materazzi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGJ4grSn ... =materazzi

These are only some demonstrations of what Materazzi calls "aggressive defense".
Anyways, I know Zidane shouldn't have reacted to Materazzi's insults, he lost the patience, but you cannot say Zidane IS LIKE Materazzi. I can't accept that. It is absolutely wrong.
Joe'
Sir Psycho Sexy

Postby dada on Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:24 am

All I am showing is his history of personal attacks on players. People act as though Zidane is the Pope or something and has never retaliated before in his life, making Materazzi look like an even worse guy. He is no different than any other defender to be criticized the way he is. I can always pull together a video of all the fould Zidane has ever made to make him look bad so you posting those are useless to me.

Anyways, next topic. I'm beginning to notice I am becoming repetitive.
dada

Postby Joe' on Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:29 am

dadamafia wrote:He is no different than any other defender to be criticized the way he is.

Are you serious?? After watching the entire World Cup, seeing great defenders like Cannavaro, Nesta, Thuram, Terry, Ayala, etc. you're saying that Materazzi is not different than any other defender??
Ok...excuse me but this is just too much. I can't stand it so let's start a conversation about anything else.
Joe'
Sir Psycho Sexy

Postby dada on Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:39 am

Joe. wrote:Ok...excuse me but this is just too much. I can't stand it so let's start a conversation about anything else.

Very original. I guess from my last post you came to the understanding that I was looking to prolong the argument. Brilliant. Very witty indeed. :applaud: :chug: :applaud:
dada

Postby Joe' on Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:36 am

It's OK man, you have your opinion and I have mine... I don't want to start a flame because I know you're a cool guy. I respect your opinion, I don't know if you respect mine, but I really don't care. The end.
Joe'
Sir Psycho Sexy

Postby dada on Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:49 am

Forgot to post this earlier.

skysports.com wrote:Donadoni lands Azzurri role

World champions Italy have moved quickly to replace Marcello Lippi by announcing Roberto Donadoni as his successor.

The Milan legend has limited managerial experience, but the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) have had plenty of time to consider their options and have opted for Donadoni.

The FIGC knew in June that Lippi would be leaving his role, although Italy's success in Germany meant that many were shocked by the departure of their coach.

Donadoni's last job was in Serie A with minnows Livorno - but midway through last season, with them placed in sixth, he quit after a row with president Aldo Spinelli.

Donadoni, who has also had spells in charge of Lecco and Genoa, will be officially unveiled by The FIGC in Rome next Tuesday - commissioner Guido Rossi confirmed.
dada

Postby Srbija on Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:55 pm

Ok, Zidane has been sent off, from what I have read and heard, several times before. But that was from when he was a younger player and he still had alot of football ahead of him. But, for him to do something like this in his last match, Materazzi must've said something that hit Zidane in the heart.

Anyway, enough about this whole Zidane/Materazzi thing, we will never know who's right or wrong. :lol:
Srbija
Jayceon Taylor ™

Postby Dean on Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:54 pm

That Real chick is Hawwt. :D
Dean
"Wait, this isn't like the time that you bought a hamster, named it virginity, and then lost it?"

Postby Srbija on Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:36 pm

Too skinny. :?

Although, I wouldn't mind doing the one with her ass to us. :P
Srbija
Jayceon Taylor ™

Postby funk99 on Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:33 pm

dadamafia wrote:All I am showing is his history of personal attacks on players. People act as though Zidane is the Pope or something and has never retaliated before in his life, making Materazzi look like an even worse guy. He is no different than any other defender to be criticized the way he is. I can always pull together a video of all the fould Zidane has ever made to make him look bad so you posting those are useless to me.

Anyways, next topic. I'm beginning to notice I am becoming repetitive.

lol. man man man. All i can say is that Matterazi is a lying bastard and Zidane does what people do. Stand up for their family
funk99

Postby dada on Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:04 pm

WORLD SOCCER NEWS wrote:Juventus, Fiorentina, Lazio to be demoted - report

According to a report in today's Gazetta dello Sport newspaper, Juventus, Fiorentina and Lazio will be relegated to the Italian second division, while Milan will retain their Serie A status, albeit with a points deduction.

"The verdict will be this: Juventus, Fiorentina and Lazio will be relegated to division two," said Gazetta.

"Milan will stay in the first division but will not be allowed to take part in the Champions League."

The newspaper did not reveal its sources but claimed it also knew what point deductions each team would receive.

Juventus will be docked 20 points from the start of their Serie B campaign with Fiorentina penalised 10 and Lazio six or seven. Milan will lose 10 to 15 points from their Serie A challenge as well as being excluded from next season's Champions League.

The president of the Italian Football Confederation (CAF) Cesare Ruperto is due to read out the verdict on the newspaper's sister television station at1800 (GMT).

The teams will then have three days to appeal before a federal court of arbitration and a final decision will be given by July 24.

The scandal surrounds former Juve general manager, Luciano Moggi, interfering with the appointment of referees for Serie A fixtures.
dada

Postby funk99 on Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:12 pm

haha all those stupid italian teams. i wouldnt mind roma winning it
funk99

Postby J@3 on Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:46 pm

Interesting... I can't see Lazio retaining virtually any of their main guys, I think a few will stay with Juventus but Fiorentina will be sucked dry. AC Milan will lose no one obviously.
J@3

Postby Srbija on Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:46 pm

INTER MILAN FOR THE TITLE! :mrgreen:
Srbija
Jayceon Taylor ™

Postby sdude on Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:33 pm

Roma vs. Inter (Y)
sdude

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:23 am

Srbija wrote:Although, I wouldn't mind doing the one with her ass to us. :P

Ha, you wish.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby dada on Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:41 am

soccerway.com wrote:Full list of Italian penalties

ROME, Jul 14 (SW) - Here is a complete list of the penalties handed down on Friday as a result of the match-fixing scandal in Italy.

JUVENTUS
Team:
-Relegation to Serie B
-30-point penalty
-2 Serie A championships (2004/05, 2005/06) stripped
-20th place finish in 2004/05 Serie A season
-Ban from 2006/07 UEFA Champions League
Individuals:
-General manager Luciano Moggi banned 5 years
-Former administrator Antonio Giraudo banned 5 years

AC MILAN
Team:
-15-point penalty
Individuals:
-Vice president Adriano Galliani banned 1 year
-Leonardo Meani (attaché to the referees' association) banned for 3.5 years

FIORENTINA
Team:
-Relegation to Serie B
-12-point penalty
Individuals:
-President Andrea Della Valle banned 3.5 years
-Honorary president Diego Della Valle banned 4 years

LAZIO
Team:
-Relegation to Serie B
-7-point penalty
-Ban from 2006/07 UEFA Cup
Individuals:
-Chairman Claudio Lotito banned 3 years

FEDERAZIONE ITALIANA GIUOCO CALCIO (Italian FA)
-Former president Franco Carraro banned 4.5 years
-Former vice president Innocenzo Mazzini banned 5 years

REFEREES' ASSOCIATION
-President Tullio Lanese banned 2 years and 1 month
-Paolo Bergamo (responsible for assigning referees) loses jurisdiction
-Pierluigi Pairetto (responsible for assigning referees) banned 2 years and 6 months
-Vice president Gennaro Mazzei banned 1 year
-Observer Pietro Ingargiola officially admonished.

REFEREES
-Massimo De Santis banned 4 years and 6 months
-Paolo Dondarini banned 3 years and 6 months
-Pierluigi Pairetto banned 2 years and 6 months
-Gianluca Paparesta banned 3 months
-Paolo Bertini sacked
-Pasquale Rodomonti sacked
-Domenico Messina sacked
-Gianluca Rocchi sacked
-Paolo Tagliavento sacked

REFEREES' ASSISTANTS
-Claudio Puglisi banned 1 year
-Fabrizio Babini banned 1 year
dada

Postby dada on Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:58 am

skysports.com wrote:Juve unhappy with verdict

Juventus president Giovanni Cobolli Gilli has confirmed there will be an appeal against the verdict which has condemned the club to Serie B.

Following the outcome of the match-fixing scandal which has blown apart Italian football, Juve have been relegated from Serie A.

The Old Lady have also been stripped of the titles won over the past two seasons and been handed a 30-point deduction for next term.

Cobolli Gilli is upset with the severity of the punishment and is hoping for leniency when the club's appeal is heard.

"Juve are disappointed with the relegation and the 30-point deduction suffered," Cobolli Gilli told RAI tv.

"We don't accept this responsibility that has a weight on the club and that would have to be put on the shoulders of former officials.

"We will appeal and we will do everything to allow our reasons to be accepted."

Fiorentina have also been relegated for their role in the scandal and will start in Serie B with a 12-point penalty.

The Viola will join Juventus in appealing against the sanctions and feel the verdict is 'profoundly unjust'.

A statement on Fiorentina's website read: "Fiorentina take note of the verdict made by the Federal Appeal Commission - a verdict that is considered absolutely not right.

"With reference to this, Fiorentina underline with strength, the absolute correctness of its officials' behaviour.

"For the respect of the city, supporters and of the dignity of the persons involved, Fiorentina will struggle in every way to ascertain the real events."
dada

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic