Tutorial: How to make a cyberface [picture walkthrough]

Resources for NBA Live 2005.

Tutorial: How to make a cyberface [picture walkthrough]

Postby iG® on Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:28 am

Ok, here's a little tutorial that will hopefuly help you to make a cyberface. Although, patchers use various techniques to make a patch, here's one that I'm using. For start you need a image editing program, Adobe Photoshop prior.

Step 1: First, if you're making a player update of present NBA LIVE player, use his bhed as a base for your work. List of player's fshs can be found at ... /NBA LIVE 2005/sgsm/players/plyrface.viv. Extract fsh of player you want and open it with FshX tool. Go Texture> Export> Save as type> bmp >and name the file whatever you want. If you want to create a new player, use fsh of player who's the most similar to one you're about to create. In this tutorial I'll use Rasheed Wallace's 512x512 bhed.

Step 2: Once you have a bhed you'll be working with, you'll be needing a useful picture which will be used for, example, Rasheed Wallace bhed. The best picture for cyberfaces is a headshot, without any shadows and if it's possibe without a person's smile. I'll use this Rasheed Wallace's picture.

Step 3: Now, we are starting to make a cyberface. Enter Photoshop and select Polygonal Lasso Tool Image and use this settings Image. Open bhed and picture you're already have. Make a selection around nose like this. Go, Edit> Copy and do Edit> Paste to the bhed. Use Edit> Free Transform to make layer biger or smaller and position it over existing nose. You should get something similar to this. Now, it's time to blend layer with the bhed. Go to Layer> Layer Style> Blending Options. Lower opacity to around 65%.

Step 4: We're are advancing to the next step. Still using Polygonal Lasso Tool Image with same settings.
You should make a selection around his cheeks. Result should be like something I've got. Go to
Edit> Copy and Edit> Paste to the bhed. Position it on the right side of the face and use Edit> Free Transform if it's needed. Lower opacity to around 65% as well. It should look like this. Now select Smudge Tool Image from the toolbar and use these settings. Use this tool to smudge the edges of the "cheek layer" in these directions.

Step 5: Repeat Step 4 but use other cheek from the picture and bhed. This is how's that suppose to look. Now, select Burn Tool Image using this settings. You're probably already noticed that the left side of the face is lighter then the right one, so we're going to fix it. Using Burn Tool, go over the left cheek to make it darker and this is the result you should get.

Step 6: Now, you need to select and copy the eye area from the picture and paste it to the bhed. Using Free Transform resize and make it fit the eye from the bhed. Repeat the procedure for the the other eye too. Result should be close to look like mine. Lower opacity to around 65%.

Step 7: Again, you're using Polygonal Lasso Tool Image and now selecting eyebrows. Paste them to the bhed, use[color] Free Transform[color=#66809B] and put them over existing ones. Lower opacity again to about 65%.

Step 8: There's two more areas to be selected and pasted to the bhed. Mouth and the forhead. Using Polygonal Lasso Tool Image[color=#66809B], select area around mouth like this. Paste to the bhed and, again, using Free Transform resize it to fit the original mouth and chin. Just like I did with this one. Go to Layer> Arange> Send To Back. Select Eraser Tool Image and delete parts of the layer which are not necessary. Lower opacity here too. Here's what I've got.

Step 9: Now the forehead. Using Polygonal Lasso Tool Image again, select forhead area. Lower opacity and use Smudge Tool Image using these settings, smudge a little over edges and this is the result you should have after.

Step 10: Now the sharpening part. But before doing that, you need to have all layers merged. Go to Layer> Merge Visible. Now, go to Filter> Sharpen> Unsharp Mask and put these values in to boxes. Click OK. Now, once it's sharpened, some minor adjusments need to be done. The face part of the bhed is little more lighter then it should be. Again, select Burn Tool Image and slightly overshadow the face. Here's the result.

Finaly, we can compare the original bhed and the one we did using Rasheeds picture.
Last edited by iG® on Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
iG®

Postby salkin70 on Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:47 am

sweeeeeeet. nice work and thank you very much
salkin70

Postby Fitzy on Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:51 pm

Sticky!!!
Fitzy

Postby Andreas Dahl on Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:56 am

Indeed it is Fitzy.

Awesome tutorial lpasso (y) You've put down a lot of work into it and it shows. Great job, I'm sure many people will appreciate this and find it useful. (y)
Andreas Dahl

Postby Eldad on Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:13 am

salkin70 wrote:sweeeeeeet. nice work and thank you very much

Yes. great work (Y)
Thx
Eldad

Postby Big-D on Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:14 am

i dont like the part about the smudge.when you do that it looses the pixil's
the best result is clonestamp with a blurry brush
Big-D

Postby Fitzy on Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:41 pm

Good move Andreas
Fitzy

Postby nbalive744 on Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:40 am

thank you!!
Click on the Sig for my PS Thread, Thanks Colin
New York Knicks Announcer during a Free Throw Attempt wrote:And you see the fans waving those thundersticks, they only work if you can't shoot
nbalive744

Postby Eldad on Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:53 am

nbalive744 wrote:thank you!!

VERY MUCH!!!
Eldad

Postby Chris. on Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:28 am

good sticky. btw where do you good pictures from. i am looking to make wade using this sticky and cant find any good pictures of him
Chris.

Postby Isaiah on Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:48 pm

you think this will apply for 06 too?

im planning on making a cyberface for "Worm" (the character from Coach Carter who looks like Kobe)

http://isaiahpcruz.multiply.com
Click the sig for my blog! Includes NBA analysis, etc.
Isaiah

Location: Metro Manila, Philippines (born in Los Angeles, CA)

Postby Chris. on Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:02 am

it depnds on how you patch the games in 06 we dont know yet
Chris.

Postby junwin on Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:32 pm

how do you turn your finished .bmp into a .fsh?

EDIT: i think i found it, do you open the original .fsh and then import the new .bmp by going tmport>texture>new .bmp???
junwin

Can I make a cyberface without finding a headshape?

Postby jordan23ho on Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:03 am

i find that it is very difficult to find a head with similar shape, eye, nose, mouth positions.
can i make a cyberface without using a nbalive player headshape as a template?
jordan23ho

Postby D-flash-W on Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:38 pm

D-flash-W

Postby six006 on Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:48 pm

hi! a newbie here...

im trying to do some patching in live 06...

i looked up and followed most of the tutorials on cyberface creation but i still wasnt able to get my created cyberface into the game. for the most part, i followed this tuto too...

i made my cyberface using anderson verajao's bhed, saved it in my own folder, opened up players.dbf in DB Commander 2000 Pro and edited my created player in the game. i put "False" for ISCREATED, put "SISARMI" for the PLAYERPKG (my create player's name is Six Sarmiento) then i opened appearance.dbf and changed the FACEID to "-1" and then i hit save when exit. then i copied the sisarmi.fsh and sisarmir.fsh files from my folder to the sgsm folder in the live 06 directory. i opened up yhe game and my created player had no head at all! just a neon pink glow in the outline of a head!

please help! maybe a more detailed and simple tutorial could help a newbie like me.

thanks!
six006

Postby alci16 on Sun May 14, 2006 12:51 am

nice nice.but how can i put him now in the game :?:
thanks
alci16

your photobucket sites are down

Postby Fluffy Taco on Mon May 29, 2006 3:25 pm

hi! um, can you repost your follow-through pics? your bandwidth for photobucket has"exceeded its limit" i think or either it was something else. so yea please get it to be fixed so that we can all see what you must show.
Fluffy Taco

Postby RSox on Mon May 29, 2006 9:49 pm

but the pictures work
RSox

Postby Fluffy Taco on Tue May 30, 2006 8:55 am

EDIT:
Ok, here's a little tutorial that will hopefuly help you to make a cyberface. Although, patchers use various techniques to make a patch, here's one that I'm using. For start you need a image editing program, Adobe Photoshop prior.

Step 1: First, if you're making a player update of present NBA LIVE player, use his bhed as a base for your work. List of player's fshs can be found at ... /NBA LIVE 2005/sgsm/players/plyrface.viv. Extract fsh of player you want and open it with FshX tool. Go Texture> Export> Save as type> bmp >and name the file whatever you want. If you want to create a new player, use fsh of player who's the most similar to one you're about to create. In this tutorial I'll use Rasheed Wallace's 512x512 bhed.

Step 2: Once you have a bhed you'll be working with, you'll be needing a useful picture which will be used for, example, Rasheed Wallace bhed. The best picture for cyberfaces is a headshot, without any shadows and if it's possibe without a person's smile. I'll use this Rasheed Wallace's picture.

Step 3: Now, we are starting to make a cyberface. Enter Photoshop and select Polygonal Lasso Tool and use this settings . Open bhed and picture you're already have. Make a selection around nose like this. Go, Edit> Copy and do Edit> Paste to the bhed. Use Edit> Free Transform to make layer biger or smaller and position it over existing nose. You should get something similar to this. Now, it's time to blend layer with the bhed. Go to Layer> Layer Style> Blending Options. Lower opacity to around 65%.

Step 4: We're are advancing to the next step. Still using Polygonal Lasso Tool with same settings.
You should make a selection around his cheeks. Result should be like something I've got. Go to Edit> Copy and Edit> Paste to the bhed. Position it on the right side of the face and use Edit> Free Transform if it's needed. Lower opacity to around 65% as well. It should look like this. Now select Smudge Tool from the toolbar and use these settings. Use this tool to smudge the edges of the "cheek layer" in these directions.

Step 5: Repeat Step 4 but use other cheek from the picture and bhed. This is how's that suppose to look. Now, select Burn Tool using this settings. You're probably already noticed that the left side of the face is lighter then the right one, so we're going to fix it. Using Burn Tool, go over the left cheek to make it darker and this is the result you should get.

Step 6: Now, you need to select and copy the eye area from the picture and paste it to the bhed. Using Free Transform resize and make it fit the eye from the bhed. Repeat the procedure for the the other eye too. Result should be close to look like mine. Lower opacity to around 65%.

Step 7: Again, you're using Polygonal Lasso Tool and now selecting eyebrows. Paste them to the bhed, use[color] Free Transform[color=#66809B] and put them over existing ones. Lower opacity again to about 65%.

Step 8: There's two more areas to be selected and pasted to the bhed. Mouth and the forhead. Using Polygonal Lasso Tool [color=#66809B], select area around mouth like this. Paste to the bhed and, again, using Free Transform resize it to fit the original mouth and chin. Just like I did with this one. Go to Layer> Arange> Send To Back. Select Eraser Tool and delete parts of the layer which are not necessary. Lower opacity here too. Here's what I've got.

Step 9: Now the forehead. Using Polygonal Lasso Tool again, select forhead area. Lower opacity and use Smudge Tool using these settings, smudge a little over edges and this is the result you should have after.

Step 10: Now the sharpening part. But before doing that, you need to have all layers merged. Go to Layer> Merge Visible. Now, go to Filter> Sharpen> Unsharp Mask and put these values in to boxes. Click OK. Now, once it's sharpened, some minor adjusments need to be done. The face part of the bhed is little more lighter then it should be. Again, select Burn Tool and slightly overshadow the face. Here's the result.

Finaly, we can compare the original bhed and the one we did using Rasheeds picture.

OH!! thank you OH SO MUCH!! :D :D
Fluffy Taco

Postby buddboy on Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:15 am

Do you have to convert to dds to re-import it?
buddboy

Postby shkoda2 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:26 am

Hey, great tutorial!

But the problem for me is to get the face in the game :?: maybe someone could help me with that, either through PM or here..
shkoda2

Re: Tutorial: How to make a cyberface [picture walkthrough]

Postby ArlanAlegria on Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:51 pm

Dude...
Why cant I put a headband on some of the players???
What should I do??? :)
ArlanAlegria

Re: Tutorial: How to make a cyberface [picture walkthrough]

Postby ludidoc on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:06 pm

sorry I have a problem to rename some cyberfaces that I created. are those of the players with double surname as eg. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Michael Carter-Williams, Rondae Hollis-Jeffer. I do not know what letters to use fer rename .ebo and .fsh files. I also have the same problem with surnames with MC es. Mccullough or mcconnell. Finally, how do the children like Tim Hardaway Jr.? if someone helps me thank you very much :bowdown2: :crazyeyes:
Pride Ever :mrgreen:
ludidoc

Next

Return to NBA Live 2005 Tutorials & FAQs