Dwane Casey Fired

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Dwane Casey Fired

Postby Andrew on Sat May 12, 2018 1:31 am

According to Woj.

Woj wrote:Toronto has fired coach Dwane Casey, league source tells ESPN.

Fair or not, I think most of us saw it coming. Still gets his Coach of the Year award, I guess.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Dwane Casey Fired

Postby NovU on Sat May 12, 2018 1:38 am

Unfortunate but firing a coach is the easiest fix to the non existing problem that makes everyone little happier.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Jackie Kong on Sat May 12, 2018 1:53 am

Andrew wrote:Still gets his Coach of the Year award,

Hope not. Want to see Brad win it already. Like I said in the awards thread, Raptors just had way too much luck with injuries this season. What's more, many could say at this moment that main players could have used some resting in back to back games.

And Raptors did improve their record from last season but they were not much better than 2 years ago also with Casey.

I have a feeling Messina will be Raptors next coach. Hmm.
Jackie Kong

Postby Dee4Three on Sat May 12, 2018 2:07 am

Jackie Kong wrote:
Andrew wrote:Still gets his Coach of the Year award,

Hope not. Want to see Brad win it already. Like I said in the awards thread, Raptors just had way too much luck with injuries this season. What's more, many could say at this moment that main players could have used some resting in back to back games.

And Raptors did improve their record from last season but they were not much better than 2 years ago also with Casey.

I have a feeling Messina will be Raptors next coach. Hmm.

Agreed.

And he didn't win the official coach of the year award yet, so hopefully he doesn't. He won the "boys club" coach of the year award, it's the only way I know how to describe it. Doc Rivers getting a vote over Brad Stevens this year shows that.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby I Hate Mondays on Sat May 12, 2018 3:52 am

Shit, there go the Raptors
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Sat May 12, 2018 11:21 am

Dee4Three wrote:And he didn't win the official coach of the year award yet, so hopefully he doesn't. He won the "boys club" coach of the year award, it's the only way I know how to describe it. Doc Rivers getting a vote over Brad Stevens this year shows that.

Good point. Guess we'll find out in a month or so. I really wish they still handed out the awards during the Playoffs, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Sun May 13, 2018 12:20 am

In the midst of Celtics fans promoting Brad Stevens, we are forgetting coty is about 82 games long regular season only.

Lowry and DeRozan are neither superstars. Leading them to the best record in East and best Canadian team ever is a feat itself. But the best part about his achievement is that he turned bunch of nobodies into the best bench in the league. He outwitted everyone else in 2nd unit battle with not one outstanding talent. This whole shenanigan to make Brad look like some sort of zen master is a sham due to post season success. Post season success is actually telling us about the better talents Brad had all along to work with.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Jackie Kong on Sun May 13, 2018 12:39 am

I don't know about the bench argument. I mean, it is easier to have a good bench when none of your players get injured.
Maybe, they did not have stars on the bench but also they did not have to play their 13th, 14th, 15th man massive minutes like Celtics in many occasions. The way I see it, having a good bench has a lot of do with chemistry (example: Manu and Patty Mills) but that is unlikely if it is changing game after game particularly on the defensive end I think. It is just a personal opinion though.

About Stevens having better talent in the roster, I don't know. Stevens is known for making players look better than they actually are.
Jackie Kong

Postby NovU on Sun May 13, 2018 1:04 am

Irving played great chunk of season.

At this point, Tatum, Rozier, and Jalen are undeniably talented players. Starter caliber with great star potential nearly anywhere they would play. They are not Delon Wright, Powell, or Van Fleet. When it comes to maximizing talents available, Casey was definitely not a slacker.

Having your bunch of nobody out playing entire league 2nd unit is no matter how you put it, is a great thing. Something that all great team drools for. It allows easy wins, and fresh legs for your star players, better prepared for marquee match ups like playoffs too.

Great coaching has less to do with making setplays but more of whom you put in the court together. Too often times, coaches hurt their chance of winning by playing wrong player(s). Casey made a lot of choices that made it work great, one of the tough choices was ridding of Norman Powell a starter from starting rotation depite the team signing him to a big contract just before.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Sun May 13, 2018 1:50 am

It's a fair point that a lot of arguments against Casey are based on what happened after the regular season concluded. That doesn't mean that those criticisms themselves aren't fair, and it can be argued that they're reasonable grounds for him being dismissed, but they can't be retroactively applied to the regular season to determine what is indeed a regular season award. You could still argue for Stevens because the Celtics had a fine season as well and he's highly regarded for his systems, player management, and so on, but it's fair to say that the Raptors' disappointing postseason can't and shouldn't be held against Casey, and thus isn't (or must not be) a factor in whether or not he's named Coach of the Year.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jackie Kong on Sun May 13, 2018 4:50 am

The thing about COY this year to me at least is about Stevens deserving it more than Casey not deserving it.

When Celtics were 0-2 with Hayward down, I think most people would have said Celtics were headed towards the lottery. And then, they took the league by storm. Sure, they cooled off a bit afterwards but a top position was never in risk and Playoffs matchups ended up proving that 2nd seed was actually much better than 1st seed this year in the East.

And even though Celtics finished 2nd, they actually ended up with a better regular season record than last year.
Jackie Kong

Postby Andrew on Sun May 13, 2018 5:39 am

That's fair, too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jmad on Sun May 13, 2018 5:58 am

I think its over. They have to rebuild this team, they are not gonna get out of the east anytime soon with a full healthy celtics, a better sixers, a more established bucks, etc. And I`m not even talking about Bron. Trade DeRozan to blazers, or a team like that. Portland wont rebuild, so if Toronto take Harkless and contracts like that, they could also receive multiple first, zach collins, etc. Lowry, Ibaka and Valanciunas too. Basically, full rebuild, lets see Siakam , VanVleet and players like that evolve. Because this Toronto wont go far anytime soon, guaranteed. Trade for assets, tank a season , go for a top 5 pick , and start again.
Wilt, MJ, LeBron, Kareem may be the greatest, but Scalabrine is the GOAT.
Jmad

Postby Sauru on Sun May 13, 2018 8:22 am

NovU wrote:Post season success is actually telling us about the better talents Brad had all along to work with.

its amazing how your story changes constantly on this team. first they are over achievers and now they are more talented
Sauru

Postby NovU on Sun May 13, 2018 2:17 pm

They are overachievers.Scram now Celts fan..
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Sauru on Sun May 13, 2018 3:36 pm

NovU wrote:They are overachievers.Scram now Celts fan..

fuck it. you are alright in my book (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y)
Sauru

Postby air gordon on Tue May 15, 2018 2:32 am

NovU wrote:In the midst of Celtics fans promoting Brad Stevens, we are forgetting coty is about 82 games long regular season only.

Lowry and DeRozan are neither superstars. Leading them to the best record in East and best Canadian team ever is a feat itself. But the best part about his achievement is that he turned bunch of nobodies into the best bench in the league. He outwitted everyone else in 2nd unit battle with not one outstanding talent. This whole shenanigan to make Brad look like some sort of zen master is a sham due to post season success. Post season success is actually telling us about the better talents Brad had all along to work with.

so the pressure switches on their GM. haven't heard anyone point fingers at Ujiri. both he and casey did a good job there but really if the next coach is a experienced one, it's Ujiri's head on the line if this team falters
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Return to NBA & Basketball