2017-18 Daily Discussion

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: 2017-18 Daily Discussion

Postby Kevin on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:10 pm

Larry Sanders next
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:14 pm

Injuries haven't helped Jennings.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:56 pm

Watching IT in his revenge game, and it's very hard to not root for Clarkson

Randle making a case to be one of the guys the Lakers use their cap space on
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:44 pm

IT is locker room cancer and has a shit personality. But I hope he gets back to being what made him an all-star. Randall, Ball, Kuzma & KCP were all great today.

Clarkson, Hood & Hill are like the worst players lol no way this Cavs team will give Warriors a hard time. Kevin Love & TT won't make a difference.

A part of me was hoping LeBron and this new Cavs would fuck shit up in the last part of the season and LeBron would somehow snatch the MVP from Harden, but that's not happening. Bummer.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:06 pm

SoF'nAwesome wrote:IT is locker room cancer and has a shit personality. But I hope he gets back to being what made him an all-star. Randall, Ball, Kuzma & KCP were all great today.

Clarkson, Hood & Hill are like the worst players lol no way this Cavs team will give Warriors a hard time. Kevin Love & TT won't make a difference.

A part of me was hoping LeBron and this new Cavs would fuck shit up in the last part of the season and LeBron would somehow snatch the MVP from Harden, but that's not happening. Bummer.

IT played a hell of a game, good for him. Showing he's still got it.

I wouldn't call him locker room cancer either, and what happened in Cleveland wasn't his fault. Players also loved him in Boston. I consider the dude a winner, not a bad personality either.

Cleveland yanked the starters down by 21 with 6 minutes to go in the 4th, I consider that pretty early. Randle has been ridiculous, happy to see him showing that he hadn't hit his ceiling. I for one thought he had, I was wrong.

Lopez has had some underrated performances in the last few.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:00 pm

SoF'nAwesome wrote:Clarkson, Hood & Hill are like the worst players lol

Good call. Clarkson probably is average at his best at this point. Hood has been always a shit player and likely to stay that way. Last time Hill was a good player was 3 seasons ago, now he's below average and hit 31 in age.

I think Clarkson and Hood was a mere desperate attempt to get younger, while Hill was to get bigger at IT's position(largely for defense).

But the real star of the trade frenzy was Larry Nance Jr. What they gave up isn't much anyways, perhaps 1st round draft pick and disgruntled Crowder are the worst loss. They got younger and removed overrated aging stars. Worth the risk but the prob is LBJ is not in 20s anymore, and needs more help to get it done imho.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:48 pm

Looks like Brandon Jennings is going to make the most of his opportunity. Near triple-double in a Bucks win, in around 24 minutes off the bench.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:42 am

vs Memphis though but still I hope he stays in the league for good.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby [Q] on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:10 am

NovU wrote:

Good call. Clarkson probably is average at his best at this point. Hood has been always a shit player and likely to stay that way. Last time Hill was a good player was 3 seasons ago, now he's below average and hit 31 in age.

I think Clarkson and Hood was a mere desperate attempt to get younger, while Hill was to get bigger at IT's position(largely for defense).

But the real star of the trade frenzy was Larry Nance Jr. What they gave up isn't much anyways, perhaps 1st round draft pick and disgruntled Crowder are the worst loss. They got younger and removed overrated aging stars. Worth the risk but the prob is LBJ is not in 20s anymore, and needs more help to get it done imho.

Watching that Lakers game last night, you could tell IT's chip on the shoulder attitude really fits well with the Lakers since they are the underdog most nights. Especially with randle, who has played with that same attitude this year and has seemed to really like playing with IT.
Not sure if that type of attitude worked well for a veteran cavs tram that had just won the championship
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:39 am

NovU wrote:

Have never considered Hood a "shit player", he's 25 years old and in his 5th year in the league, only one of which he didn't average in double figures in scoring. He's still getting acclimated to Clevelands offense (LeBron holding the ball most of the shot clock). He was a big part of the Jazz success this season and that win streak in particular. It was rumored that at the deadline, over half a dozen teams were interested in aquiring Hood.

Agreed on George Hill, he has regressed over the last few seasons. However, he also has never played a full 82 games, injured off and on. I think he is a serviceable backup, but not starer quality anymore.

Clarkson needs to be let loose, in my opinion. They will need his offense BIG TIME in the postseason, might as well let him get all or most of the kinks out at the end of the regular season.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:25 am

Yes I feel Clarkson is still a bit hesitant on playing his game, but I think that will come with time. If teams continue to use him as a 6th man, he could eventually become a solid scorer like Lou Williams or Jamal Crawford. But he needs that support and the green light to do so
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Hyperize] on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:53 am

Andrew wrote:Looks like Brandon Jennings is going to make the most of his opportunity. Near triple-double in a Bucks win, in around 24 minutes off the bench.

Yep, that's definitely an added edge, seeing someone who can playmake for Antetokounmpo.

Though it's just one game, just like Wade got his touch back in Miami, the same can be said about Jennings. I still don't get why Wade came to Cleveland; it was well after the Irving deal, so he had some concept of what he was getting himself into.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:10 am

[Q] wrote:Not sure if that type of attitude worked well for a veteran cavs tram that had just won the championship

They were a year removed from winning the championship when Thomas joined them, but it could be fair to say his attitude wasn't a good fit.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby NovU on Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:39 pm

cavs4872 wrote: I still don't get why Wade came to Cleveland

Because he wanted to play for a contender and a lot of us including Cavs organization thought he had some left in his tank as a serviceable 6th man type of guy. But he was fat and old, and kneeless yet full of ego.

Miami for the sentimental reasons were willing to give him playing minutes and make him happy so that's that. This is just a reality for aging kneeless superstar I've come to accept.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby air gordon on Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:44 am

more like he left because he was the locker room cancer. that's 2 years in a row for Wade playing that role.
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby bowdown on Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:12 pm

If I was to ever buy a Lebron poster, this would be it. The Akron Hammer got dropped HARD in Portland tonight.

phpBB [video]
bowdown

Postby benji on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:19 pm

cavs4872 wrote:Jennings on a 10-day with the Bucks for your dose of nostalgia; never did know what happened to this guy.

his Achilles tear was really bad, really wrecked his ability to drive

he hasn't gotten it back but he seems to have adjusted his game to account for it, before he went to China he was still trying to play like he used to and kept messing up offenses even after his shot came back

i hated the Pistons trading him because it was unnecessary, his deal expired at the end of the season, he was more than fine as a backup especially since he knew, arguably better than Jackson still does, how to work with Andre without clogging the floor
benji

Postby benji on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:20 pm

goofy fun random stat of the day i saw

at age 29, Muggsy Bogues grabbed 4.1 rebounds per 36

when he was one year older, despite being a foot and seven inches taller, Cliff Robinson pulled down 3.8 rebounds per 36

both played over 2700 minutes in the respective seasons (1993-94 and 1996-97)
benji

Postby [Hyperize] on Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:12 pm

bowdown wrote:If I was to ever buy a Lebron poster, this would be it. The Akron Hammer got dropped HARD in Portland tonight.

phpBB [video]

Damn; wish Nukic was a little bit closer, because there was still a little more room for a facial. He could've knocked that fucker to the floor.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Q] on Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:50 pm

Portland still rolling. Is that 11 straight? Dame dolla for MVP!
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:14 pm

The Blazers and Pacers have been the quiet achievers this season.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:32 pm

bowdown wrote:If I was to ever buy a Lebron poster, this would be it. The Akron Hammer got dropped HARD in Portland tonight.

phpBB [video]

SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby [Hyperize] on Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:39 pm

I didn't even watch the Cavs game but Nance was out and Zizc was the only legitimate big and he only played 6 minutes? He got more burn when Nance played. And the Cavs somehow hung with the mighty Blazers with Jeff Green as their center? Bahahahahahaha :lol:
[Hyperize]

Postby Lamrock on Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:53 am

Blazers are kicking ass right now. I've been pretty critical of the team's direction ever since that dreadful 2016 off-season, but things are really starting to come together now. While the Warriors, Rockets, Raptors and maybe Cavs are the only "real" contenders, I do think this squad can win a playoff series, and take a couple games off HOU or GS.

This season has been different because the team has been strong defensively. I'm not sure what the catalyst was - Nurkic is a very good defensive player, but everybody has stepped it up on that end, including Damian Lillard, who was always abysmal on that end. The problem this year has been the offense, which is honestly still a huge concern.

The Blazers rely on Lillard to basically dominate every single night. McCollum has become more of a high-level role player, and just about everybody outside of maybe Napier is extremely inconsistent on the offensive end. Portland has the defense to be a top 5 team in this league, but they're going to need Dame to continue playing like an MVP, and the role players are going to need to hit shots.

I just hope we don't draw Utah in the first round.
Lamrock

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:09 am

Portland is my second team behind the Celtics, I hope they get far in the playoffs.

They need more production from the second unit in general, Ed Davis has been good on some nights.. but on others hes a ghost. When Nurkic needs a breather, they need him to come in and produce at a higher level. Same with Evan Turner, while it looks like they turned to Harkless as the starting SF, Turners minutes will be vital as he still handles the ball quite a bit with that second unit. Clearly not worth what he was paid, he has just been a mess in my opinion this season. Even when he was logging bigger minutes as a starter, he would produce hardly anything on a lot of nights. Im a big Evan Turner fan actually, I was sad when Boston let him go, but he just hasn't figured it out yet with his new team.

Every time I have watched Napier this season I've been impressed, he found a nice niche with this team. People were throwing his career in the trash just recently, even questioning If he could find a role as a role player on a team. He's shown flashes of why he was a high draft pick this season, he gives them a nice scoring punch off the bench. They will really need him to be consistent in the postseason.

Dame is ridiculous, top 3 favorite player in the league. He brings it every night, that swagger. He's a competitor just like Russ, so fun to watch. But, I agree that he needs to play at a MVP level most every night for them to make some noise in the playoffs. CJ can give you 30 on almost any night if he stays aggressive, the problem is he doesn't always stay aggressive. I've seen several games where CJ passes up good shot opportunities (A lot of times coming off screens where he catches and has a good look). He needs to have 20-25 PPG in the Postseason.

Nurkic while a solid defender and good offensive player, really struggles on the road. He gets all jazzed up by the home crowd and really brings it in Portland, but on the road he looks like a different player most nights. He doesn't seem to have the same confidence on the road. Can't have that in the playoffs...

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball