Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Bruce on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:24 pm

I do not know what is up with this trade rumor, looks like complete BS. Randle, Nance & Clarkson for an unnamed playerand possibly the Nets first pick from the Cavs.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BewfQjVFPnA ... kersnation

[Q] wrote:I really like the move of starting Hart and not playing that piece of hot garbage Ennis. Hart responds by giving the team exactly what the starting lineup needed. It goes to show that he really wasn't that good to begin with if he was starting but isn't playing over Caruso.

I share your dislike of Ennis. Caruso though exciting, is not that much better. I think the Lakers could do much better picking up a replacement at the trade deadline or free agency. KCP was given the assignment at point in some stretches. But I do not think he has shown he deserves the money he got last off-season.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Jackal on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:56 pm

I don't believe that rumor.

I don't recall KCP playing the point.

KCP was overpaid for a year, he won't be getting that amount by a long shot.

Edit: Here's a crazy one:

The proposed trade scenario looks something like this: Utah’s Favors and Hood, Sacramento’s Vince Carter and Garrett Temple, and Cleveland’s Channing Frye go to the Lakers; Cleveland’s Kyle Korver and the Los Angeles duo of Jordan Clarkson and Larry Nance Jr. head to the Jazz; the Lakers’ Brook Lopez and the Kings’ George Hill join the Cavaliers; and Jazz shooting guard Alec Burks and the Cavs’ Tristan Thompson and Iman Shumpert, plus Cleveland’s 2018 first-round draft pick, move to the Kings. Source.

That's a tough one. I think the spacing would be terrible with Favors/Randle. Rodney Hood as a 3&D player does seem super intriguing though. Think it's just some dude brainstorming but fun to speculate anyways. Has Favors overcome his injury issues?
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:48 am

All those scenarios sounds just like fan speculation to me. Especially that last one that sounds way too complicated. It's hard enough getting two teams to agree to a trade, let alone three. There's no way Lakers would trade with Cleveland straight up as Frye seems to be their only expiring contract. I just want the deadline to pass already so we can finally put the rumors to rest and Clarkson and randle can just go out there and play ball without worrying about being traded.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:47 am

Bruce wrote:I do not know what is up with this trade rumor, looks like complete BS. Randle, Nance & Clarkson for an unnamed playerand possibly the Nets first pick from the Cavs.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BewfQjVFPnA ... kersnation

I just read this properly. Yeah, no way are the Lakers netting that Nets pick for those three guys. The Cavs won't be parting with that pick regardless, but have been hesitant to include it in Jordan, Walker and at the time PG/Bledsoe deals. Who even comes up with these trade ideas?

I'd be fine with the Lakers just keeping the team in tact, there's not much out there. I wouldn't mind moving Clarkson though, he's fine but a bit overpaid. I don't think Deng is moved ever without a stretch provision. Could really use an amnesty clause for his contract right now.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:19 am

Yeah that instagram account seems to be posting wild crazy shit for the likes and is nowhere near a credible news source
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:43 am

Favors looks good. even on back to backs. too bad he's on an expiring contract and plays next to gobert
Jackal wrote: Has Favors overcome his injury issues?

so what's the plan B if no success in getting James and/or George? and is Magic/Pelinka creating a bad culture for the coach and team?
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:14 am

The smart move would be to save it for 2019 and not make a move just for the sake of making a move. Clarkson and Randle are clearly big time contributors so losing them to get a bigger name doesn't make the team better.

Letting KCP go and playing Hart in his place saves you money. Maybe resigning Lopez to a smaller or one year deal will help.

Add that to stretching Deng's contract out and they have a shot at next year as it seems they're losing out on this year's free agents
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:06 pm

heard a few national pods suggesting there is some turmoil behind closed door due to these possible Clarkson/Randle trade rumors. figured the lakers fans would have more insight on that....

so how does work out with keeping Clarkson and Randle and still have a shot @2019 free agents?

a shame KCP isn't working out. his skillset should've fit right in. maybe case of experienced pro not wanting to concede to a bunch of youngsters?
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:12 pm

Another solid win by the young Lakers. Josh Hart has been a revelation in the starting line up. Those two hammer dunks by Ingram and Kuzma, yeesh.

Dunc'd podcast not even having Ingram in the top 10 young players to watch in the league. :shake:

The Lakers are already tempering fans expectations. James wasn't ever coming to the Lakers. PG has cooled significantly with his Laker love and with Melo and Russ I understand that.

Let the young team grow like the Warriors did with their young guys. Clarkson to me is still expendable. Hopefully Julius is willing to resign for 13-15 million max (which I heavily doubt, looking at you Dallas) but that would be ideal.

It's exciting basketball at least. Hopefully Ball is able to play more consistently next season and Ingram continues to grow and add stuff to his game. Hope that kid retires a Laker, not since Shaq have I been such a diehard for a player.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:51 am

if randle is kept at a reasonable salary, how does that work out with Kuzma?

get over the list, jackal. i hope you're weren't that one laker fan crying about it on the twitter haha. the free throw issues sheesh
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:52 am

Kuz gets more than enough minutes with Randle, when they play small ball he usually slides in to the 4 spot so I don't think that has a negative impact on him.

I think this is the only time I've mentioned the list besides when it first came out, was just mentioning how off base that pod was. I don't have Twitter so definitely not me.

With Lou Will signing for 3 more years in Clipper-land I wonder what Clarksons value is at the moment for an off the bench scorer?
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:01 am

fair enough. jamal murray proving to be a pretty damn good offensive player. it would be nice if they revisit after the season instead of waiting until next year

isn't Kuzma pretty much a PF? looking at bbref lineups, he's the pf
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:34 pm

Yeah, probably should've used substitutes in at the 4 instead of slides to the 4 spot. It's usually a frontline of him and Nance Jr. off the bench.

“Well, I mean I'm happy here,” George said. “I'm happy here. I'm happy with this group. At the end of the season, it's still on my decision on what I need to do for my family. That has nothing to do with my happiness here though. I've been really happy. It's a great organization to be a part of, but again, you know, I don't want people looking at this and (saying) like, 'Hey, because he said it's his happiness at the end of the day (that he’s definitely re-signing).

“I don't know if whether I'm going to LA, or what I'm going to do this offseason. But I can say I am happy about being here. I'm happy with playing with Russ, happy with playing with Melo, and this organization. This front office has shown what they can do to go get pieces and how active they are about winning.”

Lots of family in LA PG, lots of family.
Jackal

Postby Jackal on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:14 am

Well, this Clarkson/Nance Jr. gives Maginka room for two max players now. I don't know who/how they hope to achieve that but I'll continue to enjoy this young bunch. Gonna miss Nance Jr., hope he kills with his insane dunks and does really well at the dunk contest.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:32 am

thoughts on getting the outspoken IT? already grabbing the headlines by asking to start.

you guys want to resign him, assuming he's healthy?
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:57 am

IT doesn't seem too healthy right now, physically or mentally. I'm guessing he'll turn into a rental for the Lakers. Re-signing him would just interfere with their plans to go after bigger names.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:58 am

I could see IT and possibly randle as last resort signings if they lose out quickly on PG and LeBron. They better move quickly before randle gets lured by another team. I think this year definitely hurt IT's stock and his attitude isn't helping. If he's going to be a cancer, we should keep him away from the team so he doesn't affect chemistry
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:09 am

imo expectations were too high for him. the Cavs needed 2016 IT once he came back and that was wasn't realistic

he's a good piece but him wanting that overdue big contract complicates things. add to that Lonzo Ball and family drama. will be fun to watch that unfold
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:36 am

air gordon wrote:thoughts on getting the outspoken IT? already grabbing the headlines by asking to start.

Fuck no. That dude needs a team built around him. He can't play defense to save his life and really was put in an ideal situation in Boston with the other four guys really covering for his lack of defense.

He's coming off an injury, needs the ball in his hands to be effective and seems to believe he's a superstar after one standout season. Two months max, then he can go seek his max contract from the Kings or some other team. His whole attitude just stinks. I get having a chip on your shoulder but he was most definitely the leak in that Cavs locker room and shitting on Love etc just isn't a good look for someone who isn't at all productive themselves. He needs to come back to earth. Hopefully with another team.

Frye on the other hand is intriguing. He's a sharpshooter and this team severely lacks shooting from distance.

Hopefully Nance's departure means Julius might just be retained. Let's see, Magic seems to be certain of something so let's see.
Jackal

Postby Bruce on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:30 pm

I think it needs not be said, but if there is a trade out there for IT and Deng for a quick salary dump, I am all for it.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:25 pm

Well, the deadline has passed, so that'll have to wait. Thomas is a free agent anyway, so he's easily off the books by the end of the year.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:38 pm

[Q] wrote:They better move quickly before randle gets lured by another team.

afaik Randle will be a restricted FA, Lakers can match any salary offered by another team if LA think it's worth it or let him go if another team is silly enough to max him, or rent him again for another year if Randle decides not to sign any new contract and just take the default qualifying offer.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby [Q] on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:47 pm

They might renounce him early for the cap space and get burned so hopefully they'll hold on as long as they can. Or if someone like Dallas throws a ton of money early at him Lakers might concede to save they money
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:36 pm

Jackal wrote:
air gordon wrote:thoughts on getting the outspoken IT? already grabbing the headlines by asking to start.

Fuck no. That dude needs a team built around him. He can't play defense to save his life and really was put in an ideal situation in Boston with the other four guys really covering for his lack of defense.

He's coming off an injury, needs the ball in his hands to be effective and seems to believe he's a superstar after one standout season. Two months max, then he can go seek his max contract from the Kings or some other team. His whole attitude just stinks. I get having a chip on your shoulder but he was most definitely the leak in that Cavs locker room and shitting on Love etc just isn't a good look for someone who isn't at all productive themselves. He needs to come back to earth. Hopefully with another team.

this the shit i was saying all last year
Sauru

Postby Bruce on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:38 pm

Andrew wrote:Well, the deadline has passed, so that'll have to wait. Thomas is a free agent anyway, so he's easily off the books by the end of the year.

I dont mean this year. I mean if somehow IT stick around a bit more. But if the Lakers just let IT walk away, that is also good. I think the only immediate goal for the Lakers is to get a close to .500 as possible to attract marquee free agents.

Sauru wrote:

this the shit i was saying all last year

I have always looked at IT as a fringe starter that had a good run. I do not think the Lakers really need him to start, just put up some good numbers and help the Lakers get some Ws. I hope IT shapes up or he will be out of the league soon.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball