Now is the time to buy NBA Live 18

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Now is the time to buy NBA Live 18

Postby [Q] on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:26 pm

On sale now for PS Plus members for $7.49 in the PS Store. Good until Feb 6.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0006-CUSA06316_00-NBALIVE18G4DDRNA
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Re: Now is the time to buy NBA Live 18

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:31 pm

They've been pushing it hard with the sales. Definitely a good opportunity if you're on the fence and want to check it out.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:51 am

they probably have a number they want to reach
ThaLiveKing

Postby [Q] on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:01 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:they probably have a number they want to reach

Yes, so they have something to show for this year and can say we sold X amount of copies.

Either way, a definite step in the right direction as there have been a few 2k converts

It has definitely been worth the $40 I pre-ordered for
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:20 am

I think it's been a pretty successful year for them. Response has been more positive, the game has been better, and it appears to be on the right track. The lower price point and frequent sales have given people who've felt burned by the brand to give it a try without splashing out RRP. I hope they can keep building on that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:06 am

Still a little more than I wanted to pay for it, but I couldn't resist so I downloaded it. Don't really have extensive impressions because I haven't had much time to play it, but I'm gonna give it a real chance. Gameplay is fun - some things are a little wonky, but I'm pretty sick of 2K, so it's nice just to play something different.

It feels like I'm playing a video game from the mid-2000's... random scrubs throwing down monster dunks at will, the AI not being equipped with late-game logic, a skeletal feature list, infrequent roster updates, a sloppy menu system, some questionable player models.. But it's fun. 2K18 blows it out of the water with its polish and feature list, but I'm looking forward to learning how to play this one a little bit. Also going to dive into the franchise mode. Expecting the worse, but it appears there are some aspects of Madden's franchise mode that I like, so we'll see.

IDK.. rambling thoughts. More to come.
Lamrock

Postby [Q] on Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:34 am

Lamrock wrote:Still a little more than I wanted to pay for it

LMAO cheapskate.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for Franchise mode, as it's pretty bare bones
Best modes are The One and Ultimate Team

I think that's the biggest selling point for them though: this game for the most part is fun. I don't give a shit if I'm able to allow my audience to charge their phones at their seats if the game is a chore and isn't fun.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:53 pm

Lamrock wrote:Still a little more than I wanted to pay for it

Yikes. Kind of harsh.

Lamrock wrote:a sloppy menu system

What about it is sloppy?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby RayRay_953 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:23 pm

Personally, I think the menus are very solid. On top of certain sections having a picture, every part of the menu gives a brief description of what is what.

While I do think the body types are similar for the most part, let's not forget that 2K18 has an abundance of players with big heads (as well as having only two body types). I'm not blindly defending Live, but I've never seen a simulation NBA game with so many players having heads larger than in real life, and this includes legends. Admittedly, 2K17 had an occasional big head or two, but it was nowhere nearly as common as it is in 2K18.

I did win through the game via contest, but the amount of hours I put into it leveling up my players, and building my lineup in Ultimate Team were worth it. The main thing I respect more about NBA Live is that they're willing to listen to their community and feedback, and improve their product, unlike 2K, with the abundance of patches, which actually ruin the game each time, on top of the gouging of VC implemented this year, as well as taking several steps backwards in the gameplay department, that alone convinced me to skip 2K18, and give Live 18 a chance, and I don't regret it.
RayRay_953

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:32 pm

I will say that the menus in NBA Live 18 are a bit slow to load, which is cumbersome. The actual layout and aesthetics are fine in my opinion, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby RayRay_953 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:39 pm

The menus tend to lag a bit for me upon loading. The biggest issue I have is that I'm always connected to the internet on the PS4, but for whatever reason, I sometimes get an error a bit after the title screen, telling me that I need to be signed into the EA Servers, and I have to disable my internet, then re-enable it to be able to sign in.
RayRay_953

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:42 pm

I've run into that a couple of times as well, thankfully not too often though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:20 pm

Yes I agree menus are a little slow to load, especially in Ultimate Team
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:31 pm

Glad to know it's not just me. It's definitely something that needs to be improved.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:39 am

I bought this game out of morbid curiosity, but I have to admit it's better than I thought it would be. After so many years of 2K, it's refreshing to play a game less focused on authenticity and more on just.. playing basketball. While I'm sure Live will reveal it's bullshit in due time, it actually feels like a game of hoops. 2K has all the frills, and looks like a real NBA broadcast, but when playing it, it feels.. pre-determined. I often find that my least favorite part of the game is the basketball itself.

It's kind of hard to put into words why this game is fun, but I think people who play it know what I mean. I completely understand why it gets poor reviews - it plays like a PS2 game, and looks like a PS3 game. But 2K's focus on authenticity puts such a huge focus on stats and ratings that it becomes predictable and frustrating. Maybe I just take 2K too seriously, but right now in my Live franchise, Noah Vonleh is having an all-star caliber season, and I'm okay with it.

While Live doesn't always resemble the NBA in its current form, it captures the essence. There seems to be an element of strategy to the game. While it may not be the same strategy you'd use in a real NBA game, it has its own dynamics. 2K puts up a front like its this deep basketball simulation, but at the end of the day, if you want to win, you go for the cheese plays.

tl;dr Despite it's shortcomings, I'm enjoying it more than 2K at the moment
Lamrock

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:14 am

Lamrock wrote:I bought this game out of morbid curiosity, but I have to admit it's better than I thought it would be. After so many years of 2K, it's refreshing to play a game less focused on authenticity and more on just.. playing basketball. While I'm sure Live will reveal it's bullshit in due time, it actually feels like a game of hoops. 2K has all the frills, and looks like a real NBA broadcast, but when playing it, it feels.. pre-determined. I often find that my least favorite part of the game is the basketball itself.

It's kind of hard to put into words why this game is fun, but I think people who play it know what I mean. I completely understand why it gets poor reviews - it plays like a PS2 game, and looks like a PS3 game. But 2K's focus on authenticity puts such a huge focus on stats and ratings that it becomes predictable and frustrating. Maybe I just take 2K too seriously, but right now in my Live franchise, Noah Vonleh is having an all-star caliber season, and I'm okay with it.

While Live doesn't always resemble the NBA in its current form, it captures the essence. There seems to be an element of strategy to the game. While it may not be the same strategy you'd use in a real NBA game, it has its own dynamics. 2K puts up a front like its this deep basketball simulation, but at the end of the day, if you want to win, you go for the cheese plays.

Disagree entirely that 2K looks more like a broadcast.

The lighting is better in Live, the crowd is better, the body types are better, and the game isnt cluttered with big heads.

Also, not sure how much you have played 2K18, but the authenticity is horrible. Copy and paste ratings aside, the players don't differentiate from eachother hardly at all. You can drive by anybody, anytime with anyone. 2K18 dramatically fails authenticity wise this year.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby StyxTx on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:56 am

Dee4Three wrote:
Lamrock wrote:I bought this game out of morbid curiosity, but I have to admit it's better than I thought it would be. After so many years of 2K, it's refreshing to play a game less focused on authenticity and more on just.. playing basketball. While I'm sure Live will reveal it's bullshit in due time, it actually feels like a game of hoops. 2K has all the frills, and looks like a real NBA broadcast, but when playing it, it feels.. pre-determined. I often find that my least favorite part of the game is the basketball itself.

The lighting is better in Live, the crowd is better, the body types are better, and the game isnt cluttered with big heads.

Also, not sure how much you have played 2K18, but the authenticity is horrible. Copy and paste ratings aside, the players don't differentiate from eachother hardly at all. You can drive by anybody, anytime with anyone. 2K18 dramatically fails authenticity wise this year.

I'm sure all of it will be fixed in 2k in patch 10. lol Wow, 9 patches already?
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:39 am

I disagree that NBA Live 18 looks like a PS3 game, at least in terms of details like player faces and environments. They weren't that good on 360/PS3. The "playing like a PS2 game" may be a bit fairer as the strategy and gameplay isn't quite as deep or realistic as a lot of people (myself included) would like it to be, though it's still a bit of a buzzword-y way of putting it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:23 pm

StyxTx wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:

I'm sure all of it will be fixed in 2k in patch 10. lol Wow, 9 patches already?

They can put out 100 patches (and they may), but none of them will fix the broken gameplay or the lighting/atmosphere issues.

Not surprising they are up to patch 9 or 10.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:29 am

Dee4Three, I played 2K18 a fair amount, but probably put ten times as much time into 2K17. To me, it does look like an NBA broadcast. I don't really agree on the graphics - I think that 2K looks fantastic, while Live 18 looks like a souped-up version of Live 10. 2K's cyberfaces are on another level (Boban looks like a regular human being in Live), while the presentation is also stronger in my opinion (I do prefer how Live handles half-time and post-game shows, however). Also, I think 2K resembles the NBA more with its pace and animations.

I think 2K went a bit overboard with things like player interviews, pie charts of stat distributions (literally nobody wants the game interrupted to show what % of assists came from the frontcourt) and other such filler. So I think from an aesthetic standpoint, I do think 2K is more authentic - it's lipstick on a pig, but to me it does look far more like an actual broadcast. That's just me though.

When it comes to the gameplay and players not being too different from each other, then sure. It's pretty much always been that way. 2K11 is the only 2K game I've played that actually felt well balanced, and you could still dominate with scrubs in that one. Live does seem a little better in this respect, but I was scoring at will with freaking Meyers Leonard in my last game so... I can't really drive at will in 2K18, but I do run the pick-and-roll on like 95% of possessions, whereas I'm just sort of winging it for now in Live.

Andrew, For me personally, Live playing like a PS2 game isn't a bad thing. It's not like 2K18's gameplay is any better than 2K6's was. But between the rather basic gameplay and skeletal feature set (Live has 15 years of ground to make up in terms of franchise mode, but admittedly I haven't played the career mode yet), it does kind of feel like going back in time after playing 2K. As for the graphics.. I just don't think that Live looks that good, but I'm in the minority there and that's fine.

2K18 was a disappointment, and hopefully the negative press leads to a better game next year. But while Live is funner, it's going to be a hard sell for this generation of kids who got into the NBA via 2K.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:36 am

To me, it depends what aspect you're talking about. Faces, models, environments, I think a side-by-side comparison would demonstrate improvement over the 360/PS3 era. Animations, on the other hand...well, there's work to be done there, no question.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:43 am

Lamrock wrote:Dee4Three, I played 2K18 a fair amount, but probably put ten times as much time into 2K17. To me, it does look like an NBA broadcast. I don't really agree on the graphics - I think that 2K looks fantastic, while Live 18 looks like a souped-up version of Live 10. 2K's cyberfaces are on another level (Boban looks like a regular human being in Live), while the presentation is also stronger in my opinion (I do prefer how Live handles half-time and post-game shows, however). Also, I think 2K resembles the NBA more with its pace and animations.

The problem is, you are talking about authenticity and looking like a broadcast. I can show you broadcast side by side with 2K and it's not even close. Yes, 2K is spot on with most cyberfaces, but not one player in the whole game looks like an athlete. It's 2018, and the players look like clay. Have you actually taken a close look at the body types? The unrealistically dark floors, dark arenas, players body types, skating all over the floor, none of that resembles a broadcast in the least. red/white balloons falling into the crowd? The whole screen shaking when the bleachers are being stamped by the crowd? literally none of it is authentic. 2K17 DOES resemble more of a broadcast because of the more realistic lighting, no balloons into the crowd, no screen shaking from the crowd stamping, no skating, and no big heads, but it still misses the mark because of the skinny body types, and excessive bumping.

You can have your opinion about it looking "Fantastic", but you can not say with a straight face that it looks like an actual NBA broadcast when you actually put it next to an NBA broadcast.

When it comes to the gameplay and players not being too different from each other, then sure. It's pretty much always been that way. 2K11 is the only 2K game I've played that actually felt well balanced, and you could still dominate with scrubs in that one. Live does seem a little better in this respect, but I was scoring at will with freaking Meyers Leonard in my last game so... I can't really drive at will in 2K18, but I do run the pick-and-roll on like 95% of possessions, whereas I'm just sort of winging it for now in Live.

I may have misinterpreted your statement, but I'm going to ramble here for a minute. If I took what you said wrong, please forgive me.

I never said the gameplay wasn't different from eachother, it's night and day different. Not only is Live and 2K night and day different, so is 2K17 and 2K18. They feel 100% different (other than the buttons being the same). The ball physics are different, backboard physics are different, the motion system in 2K18 changes the gameplay entirely, the way layups go up are different, the shooting feels different, the defense one on one is entirely different, the up fakes and passing physics are different, it's absolutely a different experience. You can score at will with scrubs in both Live and 2K18 (I dominate with Tyler Zeller in Live, and I can score 100 a game with Michael kidd-Gilchrist in 2K18). Both games fail to capture the authenticity of the stars, and separate them enough from the average or below average players.

Live and 2K play nothing alike, while Live has some robotic animations, no sizeups, more forced drives when trying to pull up from mid range, far less animations (you can do the same reverse layup 15 times a game with guards or centers, literally the same exact layup), and in Live you can make double and triple teamed shots at will even with poor offensive talents. In NBA 2K18, you have skating, blown shots around the rim constantly for no reason, too many animations that make the gameplay look sloppy, sizeups that are unrealistic for a lot of the players (And go way overboard and look completely unnecessary), speed issues where players will go fast up the floor and for no reason slow down and speed up again, etc. I could go on and on, literally no comparison between the two other than that they are basketball titles.

In regards to not being able to drive at will in NBA 2K18, have you watched any of my videos on the defense thread? You can do that almost 100% of the time, you just have to push the joystick towards the hoop with any player and you will get there. So, you are not playing enough or not doing it right. That is literally a black & white issue, I just tried it again last night with the latest patch, and you absolutely can drive to the hoop whenever you want. I was doing it with any player PG through C.

2K18 was a disappointment, and hopefully the negative press leads to a better game next year. But while Live is funner, it's going to be a hard sell for this generation of kids who got into the NBA via 2K.

I agree with this.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby RayRay_953 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:31 am

This is why I'm glad I'm a part of the NLSC. Here, we don't see blindly, and we evaluate each basketball game that comes out fairly, and give each game a chance. I tried 2K18, and was disappointed that they went several steps back on the game, yet look at all the websites praising the game, filtering out the communities' feelings about the game. While Live 18 isn't perfect, it's at least a step in the right direction, and I've been enjoying the experience. Heck, even some of the patches in Live actually improved the game (toning down the impact of contested shots when deemed ridiculous, fixing Lonzo Ball's jumpshot in Ultimate Team, adding a basic roster editor, etc.), whereas in 2K, you better pray you backed up your previous exe file (unfortunately, something I couldn't do in 2K17 because I purchased the game only a couple of months ago) because the patches obliterate the gameplay.

I've even see 2K fans ridiculing LUT players, saying that everything about MyTeam is superior, and while MyTeam admittedly has much more to offer than Ultimate Team, MyTeam has skewed overalls for some of the players, making the build to give the players the cheesiest badges in the game (You don't believe how many players I've seen use Kobe with HoF Limitless Range, or Jason Kidd with Gold or HoF Bruiser), and with the aforementioned skating and running in a straight line to blow out the CPU, why should I be interested in 2K18's MyTeam? In Ultimate Team, sure, the current players are underrated, as well as the Legend Master Cards, but at least there's no badges to cheese the game with, and as Dee mentioned, you can't call ISO after ISO, and just run by any defender like nothing.
RayRay_953

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:37 am

Honestly I don't care about TV style presentation because I skip all that after seeing it once or twice. It's nice, but I'd rather just get the game over with if I'm playing ultimate team and am up by 20 or more on a team
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:43 am

[Q] wrote:Honestly I don't care about TV style presentation because I skip all that after seeing it once or twice. It's nice, but I'd rather just get the game over with if I'm playing ultimate team and am up by 20 or more on a team

I agree with this, I always skip the pre/post game shows on 2K. Occasionally Ill watch the halftime highlights.

But yeah, especially on Myteam or Ultimate Team, it's about getting the games over with quickly (Unless it's close and some highlights are worth watching). It's why I stopped making my Ultimate Team videos, It seemed a little silly.

There's a difference between TV style presentation (Real announcers, real looking overlays, real halftime analysts) and actual gameplay presentation (Lighting, atmosphere, athletes faces and body types, player movement). I don't mind the TV style presentation in each game, but NBA 2K18 fails in the gameplay presentation department (And the feel department). If I had to choose, I would focus more on the gameplay presentation than the TV style presentation if I were a developer... but I am not.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Next

Return to NBA Live 18