Fictional Rosters - Simengin Fix

Talk about NBA Live 08 here.

Fictional Rosters - Simengin Fix

Postby Cpt(K) on Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:14 am

Hello, so I've briefly gained a little interest in Live 08 modding. I began revisiting Live 05, 06, and then 08. Nostalgia I guess.

I ran my fictional rosters through dynasty and season mode, and was reminded how awful the simulations are. I didn't care initially, I mean, my rosters are fictional-- but then when looking at the 05 and 06 simulations I wanted them to be similar.

So I dug around in the forums, and found some useful information:
http://www.nba-live.com/nbalivewiki/ind ... Sim_Engine
viewtopic.php?f=111&t=52058&start=100 (page 3 at the bottom)
http://nba-live.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=53626 (page 1 near the middle, its where the image below is from)

I've started by making changes to the records so they match this image. I use 12 minute simulation, and 12 minute in-game. When testing simulation with the fictional rosters, well, there were very unreal stats across the board. Games would end with both teams exceeding 100 points easily (I think the highest was 165).

Fortunately, it almost eliminated all-big-men-triple-doubles. Small Forwards and guards assists averages were insanely high. So I've been tweaking it to try to come down to something more real. The program I use is Hex Workshop, although in the third link (on page 2 or 3) it mentions hexprobe as another program that works.

What I'm going to release is directed towards the fictional rosters I've uploaded here, but you may try with other rosters-- the results may not be the same though.
Cpt(K)

Re: Fictional Rosters - Simengin Fix

Postby Book_Gazette on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:01 am

Welcome back!

My studies have given me quite a bit this year, so releases will probably be delayed. I also can read hex now, thanks to my Computer Science class

I would love to see this in action with my roster, although mine works solidly with 8 minute quarters
Book_Gazette

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:47 am

Awesome! The sim engine in NBA Live 08 definitely left much to be desired, and although some headway was made on modding it back in the day, it would be great to have a comprehensive fix.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Cpt(K) on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:52 am

Yeah, it is interesting. I read in one thread that the .exe may be partly to blame too, but I'm not sure how to modify anything in it haha.

Anyway so, I think I've made some progress. At first I went a bit wild and changed one too many cells at a time, making it difficult to pinpoint what I wanted. Still there's some changes that need to be made. I'll attach it, and update it later. What was insanely high numbers, are much lower-- too low in some cases.

I simulated a full season just now with my fictional rosters, this file has an issue with the following:
*I omit some odd stats, because (1) with fictional rosters I suspend a little more disbelief . . . (2) it may be ditto (e.g. team apg will be low because player league leader avg only 7.1).

- Player RPG
- Leader has 15.0, next 4 have 14~14.8 (maybe not as bad as I thought)
- Free Throws
- While there is no 100%, there are plenty of 98%
- Low Scoring games
- Too often a team may score fewer than 80 points (lowest by a team was 48!)
- Team PPG
- A dozen or more teams avg under 85 ppg
- Starter Minutes (MPG)
- No starters average 40+ mpg, highest was 37.8
- FGM%
- Guards dominate this (leader at 53%), needs more bigmen
- Some teams average less than 35%!
- 3PTM%
- Needs to be lowered, player leader is above 50%
- APG
- No player averaged over 7.1, no team averaged more than 19.3

Download is attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cpt(K)

Postby Book_Gazette on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:05 pm

Cool thanks. Any more plans?
Book_Gazette

Postby Cpt(K) on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:40 pm

For other mods for this game? None at this time that I'm committing to. One idea I had, and may pursue at a later time is to create fictional art to accompany the rosters. There was such a mod for one of these games (Live 06, 07, or 08), but I haven't been able to find the thread. Links are probably dead anyway.
Cpt(K)

Postby Book_Gazette on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:48 pm

Cpt(K) wrote:For other mods for this game? None at this time that I'm committing to. One idea I had, and may pursue at a later time is to create fictional art to accompany the rosters. There was such a mod for one of these games (Live 06, 07, or 08), but I haven't been able to find the thread. Links are probably dead anyway.

That's cool. I do some semi-realistic/fiction mods too such as FIBA teams
Book_Gazette

Postby Cpt(K) on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:56 pm

Here's an update. So, I think this is better. The last version I tried to increase player and team efficiency little by little. Some stats are bloated, but most of them are pretty tame in my opinion.

What's blown up ridiculously:
3PM% is still too high, but this is because they are taking fewer 3pt shots and making them regularly
FTM% is still to high, no one makes e'm all anymore, and although I say too high-- some are way too low (team values suffer)
FGM% this isn't bloated really, but the guards are still dominating in the 48-53% range
BPG for player and team is a little too high, teams avg around 12-15 a game. Players average at most 2, but many of them average 2
Team Records have changed greatly, both conferences usually finish with 3-4 teams at or above 60 wins. Not really a bad thing I guess.

What's fixed (for now):
PPG for player and team seems more balanced leader for players was 29.3, with some between 27-22 trailing him. Team lowest was around 75ish . . . I do want that to reach at least 80 or 85
APG Sort-of fixed, I mean, only high-calibr big men have high assists, but it is still to high even for them-- plenty of guards compete well though
RPG for player and team seems good
Game Scores: There were few to no games where a team scored 48 points! All games were between 135-60ish. Not many were low scoring.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cpt(K)

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:10 pm

Good progress I'd say.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 08