2017-18 Daily Discussion

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: 2017-18 Daily Discussion

Postby Jackal on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:57 am

Dee4Three wrote:Ball played his usual non aggressive basketball offensively, defensively he was scored on 3 times in the second half by the same 5'9" Tyler Ulis move (put his body into Ball and proceeded with a step back floater/shot). Balls defense leaves a lot to be desired so far this season, he needs to get stronger and move his feet better laterally.

I know I'm late addressing this one, but "leaves a lot to be desired" is horse shit. Dude is significantly better than anyone thought he would be on defense. Coming in to the draft it was pretty much a given that his defense was on par with D'Angelo Russel's level - which is pretty much move aside and let a player get a lay up. Ball does a more than adequate job on defense, especially given him being a rookie. The Lakers switch a lot and despite him being a smaller player he really gives his all in fronting bigger post players and being disruptive. He's not the quickest player on his feet but he tries positioning himself well.

If you feel that's a lot left to be desired so be it, but I wholeheartedly disagree with that. I have watched every Laker game so far, just haven't written down the stats for every game though. :lol:

Only knock on him so far is hanging his head due to his atrocious shot. Kid controls the tempo of the game and is actively looking to make the right play every time down the court. I'm absolutely expecting him to be great down the road, same with Ingram.
Jackal

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:49 am

In the games I've watched, he's had trouble keeping his man in front of him, and hes been exploited on pick n rolls. But, he is young, and he played awesome defensively last night. He was quick, he seemed to have his hands in everything. He obviously has quick hands and shows good defensive instincts at times. He had a couple impressive blocks (great timing), same with a few of his steals.

You have seen more of Ball than I have because you have watched every game, so you have a bigger bulk of work that you have seen to share an opinion on. I totally respect that.

Clearly a shot at me with the comment about writing stats down. What's funny is, that was just me answering a question about how I watched games growing up, I was giving an example of how I watched them. Not only is that a silly attempt, but I actually consider it a compliment. I have fond memories of watching basketball like that growing up.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby hova- on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:37 am

phpBB [video]

The Thunder are struggling and I found that one to be very interesting. You have to be somewhat careful with video analysis showing only bad moments of a player, but for me this is how Melo plays for the last 2-3 years: settling for jumpers, showing low activity off the ball and on defense and also looking very unathletic.

I have been some sort of a Melo hater for several years now and he has not been able to prove me wrong so far in his career. Iso player, doubtful character, no hustle on D, but a lot of fame (N)
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby [Q] on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:11 am

I like ball's effort on defense. He actually gets quite a few blocks from just being in good defense position plus he works hard for rebounds, not for stats but simply because he just wants it more. That is helpful especially with Brook not being a big rebounder and when they go small with Julius at C
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:15 am

I've never been a big Randle fan, but last night he played really under control. I think he tries to sell fouls instead of making a decent move I'm a lot of games, I didn't see him doing that last night. He had a nice shimmy move in the post, and was attacking strong.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:54 pm

hova- wrote:The Thunder are struggling and I found that one to be very interesting. You have to be somewhat careful with video analysis showing only bad moments of a player, but for me this is how Melo plays for the last 2-3 years: settling for jumpers, showing low activity off the ball and on defense and also looking very unathletic.

I have been some sort of a Melo hater for several years now and he has not been able to prove me wrong so far in his career. Iso player, doubtful character, no hustle on D, but a lot of fame (N)

He's just about the same mediocre/overhyped Carmelo that we're used to seeing forever tho. Hard to pin Thunders' problem entirely on Carmelo.

Seems Westy is struggling mightily to co-exist with 2 subpar stars. Goes to show how having one legit superstar like KD is far better than having two ok superstars like George/Melo. This is why Lakers should go after LBJ not George even tho LBJ is nearing retirement age, it's better to take the risk.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby benji on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:19 pm

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/932822887022714882

vince carter still has that effect on some people i guess
benji

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:30 pm

the whitest people doing the whitest things
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby [Q] on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:13 pm

Patrick Beverley after Clippers’ 9th-straight loss: “This ain’t how I roll”
The Clippers being this bad wasn't in Beverley's plans for the season.

stupid idiot asked for it. ye shall reap what ye sow. :lol:
he underestimated the Clippers curse and Doc's ineptitude.

meanwhile the rockets obviously upgraded at PG and are neck and neck with the warriors in the standings.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:42 pm

I been saying CP3 has been the best pure pg since Magic. Clippers, early season fluke has ran out of gas. If Beverley thought he somehow successfully could fill in for CP3's shoes, he was gunning for impossibility.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby air gordon on Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:24 am

[Q] wrote:

lol who didn't see that one coming

shame on the nba for having only the bulls lakers game on yesterday
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:16 am

air gordon wrote:
[Q] wrote:

lol who didn't see that one coming

shame on the nba for having only the bulls lakers game on yesterday

Shame for what? It was a good game. I caught the end of it. Kcp's 3 point attempts made me cringe
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:44 am

KCP converted his shots well though, unlike his usual self.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby air gordon on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:25 am

i'd always prefer to have one game to switch to. especially with today's full slate why wouldn't there be another game scheduled for yesterday

damn kcp and his wnba name
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:37 am

air gordon wrote:damn kcp and his wnba name

I blame Chris Douglas-Roberts

Also how in the hell are the Lakers the 4th best rated defense in the league? They're one of the top rebounding teams, which I feel Lonzo Ball has played a big part in. They're also near the top in blocks which is shocking because Lopez doesn't do that and Randle gets the most minutes at center. He has obviously been instrumental in this
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:27 pm

Every time LeBron shoots a step-back 3, I ejaculate.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Phil89 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:24 pm

OKC finally didn't choke away a big lead, against the Warriors of all teams.

Roberson blew an alley-oop near the end to cost Westbrook a triple-double :lol: :facepalm2:
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Jackal on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:48 pm

[Q] wrote:Also how in the hell are the Lakers the 4th best rated defense in the league? They're one of the top rebounding teams, which I feel Lonzo Ball has played a big part in. They're also near the top in blocks which is shocking because Lopez doesn't do that and Randle gets the most minutes at center. He has obviously been instrumental in this

They switch everything & Randle has been a beast at the 5. The perimeter guys do a good job of fronting bigs and the the Laker bigs are able to stay/contest the opposing teams smalls pretty well.

They just try. That's their biggest thing. It would be such a blessing if they could get some more consistent perimeter shooting.

Also;

Little defensive things Lonzo does.
Jackal

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:22 pm

NovU this one is for you homie
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:53 pm

31 points and 18 rebounds for Ben Simmons. Shaky night from the foul line, though. Had he been knocking down his free throws, he could've topped 40. He definitely has to get better at that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:52 pm

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:56 pm

What do you guys think are the chances of Wade winning the Sixth Man of The Year award?
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby air gordon on Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:42 am

What an awesome game Aaron Gordon had earlier this week

Same with the thrill Barton. He should be a favorite for the Jamal Crawford award
Jump.
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:38 am

SoF'nAwesome wrote:What do you guys think are the chances of Wade winning the Sixth Man of The Year award?

Not over Kyle Kuzma
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:16 pm

wtf was that Livingston ejection lol

phpBB [video]

different angle

https://streamable.com/y2fok

the LeBron and KD ejections earlier were shit too
SoF'nAwesome