Chicago Bulls Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Chicago Bulls Thread

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:03 pm

Talk about the sunk cost fallacy. That they'd pick up his option after it's abundantly clear he's a bust boggles the mind.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:16 am

and ranked 6th & 15th in defRtg ;)

i'm just saying. i'm not particularly fond of hoiberg but i would like to give him a fair chance. from what i've seen in the preseason and few games, his offense favors pace, 3pt shooting, and ball movement... opposite of wade and butler's skills.
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:02 am

What constitutes a fair chance at this point? I don't feel particularly patient at this point when it comes to Hoiberg, but it is fair to say that he hasn't had the three-point shooters he's needed.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Your lack of faith in Paul Zipser is disturbing.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:52 pm

Hey now, who's hating on The Big Zipper?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Valor on Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:03 pm

air gordon wrote:and ranked 6th & 15th in defRtg ;)

i'm just saying. i'm not particularly fond of hoiberg but i would like to give him a fair chance. from what i've seen in the preseason and few games, his offense favors pace, 3pt shooting, and ball movement... opposite of wade and butler's skills.

Well, good coaches should adjust according to their players' skillsets, shouldn't they? Big knock on Phil was he was trying to force triangle on the Knicks when they had no players with decent basketball IQ to run it, and big knock on Mike D'Antoni was he only runs one system no matter what, even when they had Shaq. Hoiberg should've adjusted and catered his offense around Butler while he was still here. That immediately tells me he's not a good coach.

Plus, this is his third season. Vinny Del Negro only got two despite winning pretty much the same amount of games (and we even had excitement in the playoffs - Bos Chi series) while Thibs despite winning big every season got canned after just 5 years. How long is long enough?
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby air gordon on Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:58 am

fair points. i think the blame goes on management not Hoiberg. they brought him in for his offensive scheme but have hamstrung him with a roster that doesn't fit his scheme. you hire a sushi chef to make sushi, not make pasta.

as we all know, Garpax said they would go young and athletic and proceeded to sign Rondo and Wade.

the cards were stacked against hoiberg since he was hired. thibs shadow and now he has the garbage roster.

and hoiberg did adjust his schemes, opting to use a lot of sets Thibs used during his tenure. i would say it was testament on how good Butler is that this team was .500 despite being near bottom in 3pt shooting and forcing TO's.

and let's be honest. i dont think any coach can get last year's roster past the 1st round and this roster to even win 40% of their games this year. you can fire hoiberg and bring some other guy in but that's not going to move the needle significantly.
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:21 am

A mess all around, as noted previously. I suppose as long as they're only in shape to show up and lose a lot of games, there's no sense replacing Hoiberg.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:51 am

Andrew wrote:What constitutes a fair chance at this point? I don't feel particularly patient at this point when it comes to Hoiberg, but it is fair to say that he hasn't had the three-point shooters he's needed.

sorry missed this earlier..

3pt shooting, ball movement, and pace. been missing out on this.

to answer the question, i don't know. i haven't watched the games in much detail and i'm not sure you can draw much from games like the ones against OKC. this roster blows and their already thin offense looks very bad against athletic teams that can switch like OKC.

i guess as long the team "tries" and Markannen continues to develop i wont be overly critical of Hoiberg.

maybe when lavine comes back and the NIko situation is resolved, fire hoiberg can be revisited ;)
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:28 am

At this stage, he might as well just rack up losses. It could be a situation similar to the Baby Bulls where once they start getting some talent and the roster takes shape, he ends up getting replaced with someone else. I'm not that eager to give him the Brett Brown treatment at this time.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Valor on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:04 am

air gordon wrote:fair points. i think the blame goes on management not Hoiberg. they brought him in for his offensive scheme but have hamstrung him with a roster that doesn't fit his scheme. you hire a sushi chef to make sushi, not make pasta.

as we all know, Garpax said they would go young and athletic and proceeded to sign Rondo and Wade.

the cards were stacked against hoiberg since he was hired. thibs shadow and now he has the garbage roster.

and hoiberg did adjust his schemes, opting to use a lot of sets Thibs used during his tenure. i would say it was testament on how good Butler is that this team was .500 despite being near bottom in 3pt shooting and forcing TO's.

And all these are reasons why we've been screaming for GarPax's heads for years now :wink:

air gordon wrote:and let's be honest. i dont think any coach can get last year's roster past the 1st round and this roster to even win 40% of their games this year. you can fire hoiberg and bring some other guy in but that's not going to move the needle significantly.

I got one for you....Tom Thibodeau :lol: Probably would win close to 50 games and taken the team to the second round tbh, none of that "leadership" drama in the locker room from last season would've happened under Thibs too. As for the Portis-Mirotic thing? Forget it. As soon as they start chirping and pushing Thibs would've thrown them out after making them run suicides. Hoiberg is soft, Thibs is a drill sergeant.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby air gordon on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:39 am

Thibs huh haha? i'm sure GarPax would find a way to steal credit or undermine him by either sending Portis to punch him out *too soon?* or choke thibs out del negro style.

i was quite satisfied with the loss vs Miami. some good stretches of play... especially in the 3rd qtr, Markkanen had some plays in the post, nwaba active on both ends. dunn is flawed but plays very aggressive and fearless.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Valor on Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:56 am

Yeah there are positives for sure, Markkanen has been terrific. Flawed, but still terrific and one of the lone bright spots of this team. His shot will go as the season wears on (rookie wall) but long term looks legit. Hopefully Dunn can live up to his pre-draft potential but I think we can all agree that Grant (or Payne for that matter) are just not going to cut it in the NBA.

So how about this potential deal??
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:36 am

I'd pull the trigger on it. The question is, are the Suns really that committed to being dysfunctional and stupid? If so, maybe GarPax can get them to pull a GarPax.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:56 am

lol im hearing a lot of bad stories on PHX's management/owner.

i'd like to see the dunn-grant-holiday-lauri-lopez-lauri lineup get more run
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:48 am

2-9 to start. Hawks and Mavericks are bottoming out much better, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:12 am

watch any of the games lately? missed the last 2 and tbh dont want to bother watching the replay
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:52 am

I haven't caught any so far. ESPN Australia hasn't picked any up, and I don't have League Pass at the moment. I don't think I could stomach it even if I had the opportunity, though. Rare highlights from the Bulls' official social media accounts will suffice. Watching a whole game seems like it would be pure torture.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:59 am

ha dont judge til you've watched a game

tbh If Markkanen is not playing, i will pass. also waiting for Nwaba to come back.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:30 am

Well, it remains to be seen whether I'll even get the opportunity, at this point. I suppose I'd have to tune in at least once.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:35 am

air gordon wrote:also waiting for Nwaba to come back.

I feel sorrow and despair of this year's Bulls fans reading this. Nwaba is a player to watch, lolz, you can't blame anyone for not watching the Bulls game this year.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby air gordon on Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:46 pm

Ha and who picked him up in on our fantasy league?

I'll be picking up a nwaba Jersey t.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby NovU on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:18 pm

air gordon wrote:Ha and who picked him up in on our fantasy league?

Explains why I feel sorrow and despair looking at my roster this year.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby air gordon on Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:46 am

your clear and concise reply is appreciated

I wonder if this Ports-Niko thing would be handled different on another team. Niko is at "practice" but away from the team and on an exercise bike while. meanwhile Portis is back and from the reports is doing well. so the dude who got knocked active but not even practicing with his team while the guy who knocked him out is playing and playing well.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Valor on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:02 pm

air gordon wrote:I wonder if this Ports-Niko thing would be handled different on another team. Niko is at "practice" but away from the team and on an exercise bike while. meanwhile Portis is back and from the reports is doing well. so the dude who got knocked active but not even practicing with his team while the guy who knocked him out is playing and playing well.

Seeing as Paxson admitted that there’s no plan to get the two teammates in the same space to reconcile anything. and the onus to reconcile is on Mirotic, the victim, I'd say it would be handled differently on any other professional team. This is straight up pathetic.

Also, this quote from Portis is absolutely disgusting.
I’m a normal guy. I’m a guy that’s a high character guy, low maintenance guy. I’d welcome him in with open arms,” Portis said.

Really? You'd welcome him with open arms? Was that before or after you broke his face with a sucker punch that landed him in the hospital. High character? You blamed him not responding to your "efforts" to "reach out" after you broke his jaw cause you know, he literally couldn't speak at the time. What a fucking bitch.
Valor
Fire GarPax

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball