How good would Charles Barkley be in modern-day NBA?

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

How good would Charles Barkley be in modern-day NBA?

Postby jwin on Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:28 am

http://hoopshype.com/2017/11/01/how-goo ... n-day-nba/

what do you think he would do in today's nba?
jwin

Re: How good would Charles Barkley be in modern-day NBA?

Postby mp3 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:24 pm

In shape I think he would be fine, he could shoot the ball and I guess that would stretch to the 3 point line in today's nba, he was also a decent low post player and rebounder so I think he would be an above average player maybe even an allstar but I don't think he would be as good as he was in his era
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby air gordon on Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:26 am

ha barkley would be great in this era
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:58 am

air gordon wrote:ha barkley would be great in this era

Correct, just like the Westbrooks and Durants would be great in any era. Barkley was a freak not only athletically in his first 8 years before he got hurt, but skill wise. He could do it all.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby hova- on Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:02 am

Barkley is one of those guys that I feel fit in very well in todays game a he had always been undersized and his game was pretty all-around. With better eating habits and better medical staff he could possibly be more durable as well. And he liked to fire threes although he was not good at it. That is pretty much what half the league is doing now.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby mp3 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:04 am

What current nba player would you compare him too?
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:51 am

mp3 wrote:What current nba player would you compare him too?

I don't think there is a player like him. He was a gifted position rebounder (Listed as 6'6", reported to be 6'4") who could literally get you 20+ boards on any given night. A player who not only played bigger than his size in the post and right under the basket, but also was a good shooter from 15-18 feet out (and even started being a hitting threes later, not at a great percentage though). A gifted shot blocker, and a defender who could guard multiple positions.

His inside play/post play for his height and his rebounding ability for his height, makes him unique. He was a one man fastbreak, and would still thrive doing that in todays NBA.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:59 am

finding a direct comparison to sir charles is a tough one. i would say Demarcus cousins. obvious there is the size and efficiency difference but as far as a pure power player, the agility, versatile scoring arsenal, and explosive personality... boogie checks the boxes
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:28 am

I agree that Barkley would be a beast in today's game. I also get the feeling he and Rodman would have some ridiculous rebounding numbers.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:07 am

I would think he would be an awesome fit in todays league as a modern era pf. He has strenghth agility range and ball handling skills. But one thing I suspect is his defense. At 6 6 would he be able to contest shots near the rim much?
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:11 am

Well, lockdown defense and shotblocking were never Sir Charles' forte.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:18 am

Andrew wrote:Well, lockdown defense and shotblocking were never Sir Charles' forte.

I wouldn't say that entirely. He had a career average of 1.5 steals (1 season with 173) and had over 100 blocks 3 times early in his career (Including one season of 125).

I think defensively he would be just fine.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:14 pm

Barkley is bizarro LeBron physically.
LeBron is everything you expect from a freak of nature like Wilt was; tall, fast, big, quick, and strong.
Barkley is not tall but he's strong to score in the post and fight for position for those rebounds, he's big/heavy for his height but he's fast to run the break like Karl Malone did, he plays like a big but has the handles to play faceup and range to shoot long twos.

Improve his range to 25 feet from the 22 feet he used to shoot those threes and he'd be one of the best forwards alongside LeBron, Durant, Letter Bro, and Unibrow.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:27 pm

Dee4Three wrote:
Andrew wrote:Well, lockdown defense and shotblocking were never Sir Charles' forte.

I wouldn't say that entirely. He had a career average of 1.5 steals (1 season with 173) and had over 100 blocks 3 times early in his career (Including one season of 125).

I think defensively he would be just fine.

He wasn't inept defensively and it's probably fair to say he was above average, but he wasn't known for great defense, or being a lockdown defender. He wasn't in the same class as the likes of Rodman, Pippen, Jordan, Payton, Hakeem, Duncan, and so on.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:43 pm

Fair enough.

Nice to see all the respect for sir Charles the basketball player in here.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:06 pm

barkley dominated big men at 6-6 (if) in an era where everyone had big men. who the fuck is going to stop him today?
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:31 pm

Sauru wrote:barkley dominated big men at 6-6 (if) in an era where everyone had big men. who the fuck is going to stop him today?

Well you see, today's players are vastly superior. It's only our nostalgia that makes us believe otherwise. On a related note, The Beatles only seem like legends because the 60s was a weak era for recording artists, unlike today where advances in technology have resulted in much better music. New is always better, and only bitter old haters who won't wake up, take off their nostalgia goggles, and open their eyes and minds, believe otherwise.

Snark aside, good point, and I completely agree.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby hova- on Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:53 pm

Andrew wrote:
Sauru wrote:barkley dominated big men at 6-6 (if) in an era where everyone had big men. who the fuck is going to stop him today?

Well you see, today's players are vastly superior. It's only our nostalgia that makes us believe otherwise. On a related note, The Beatles only seem like legends because the 60s was a weak era for recording artists, unlike today where advances in technology have resulted in much better music. New is always better, and only bitter old haters who won't wake up, take off their nostalgia goggles, and open their eyes and minds, believe otherwise.

Snark aside, good point, and I completely agree.

But in my opinion you still have to look at this without any bias (which is difficult). Barkley is more of the prototype of a player in today's game as he can pretty much guard every position and dominates the glass and the inside so you could actually play him as a C in today's game without a problem. His three his a bit shaky but in the present NBA it does not matter as everybody is allowed to shoot threes no matter how bad the percentage is.

But in some other cases of legends (we had major discussions on this forum before) I am not sure how they would match up in today's game. (there once was this 6-9 point guard who I'd consider to experience problems on defense nowadays - but not everybody shares this opinion).
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Sauru on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:28 pm

beyond barkley there are other players who never get talked about anymore who would absolutely thrive in todays nba. others would not nearly be as good. many of the good power forwards of the past would see minimal playing time at best today while a guy like petrovic would just be insane in todays game.

charles would be every bit as good today as he was back then.
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:22 pm

Sauru wrote:many of the good power forwards of the past would see minimal playing time at best today while a guy like petrovic would just be insane in todays game.

I don't know about that. Certainly anyone good enough to post 20+ and 10+ would still thrive today, even if they're not a stretch four.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:37 pm

yeah i am not talking the elite 4's of the past, just the ones that gave teams lots of quality minutes. anyone of them in the HoF is gonna be just fine today. but say horace grant. how good is he in todays game? what value does he honestly have now that the mid range is basically a thing of the past
Sauru

Postby NovU on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:12 pm

Horace would fit as a nice center imo. Not sure how dominant he would be though as the game calls mostly for BLK + REB from centers now days. Only 2 things you need to do well, and you become a max guy like Whiteside, DeAndre, Drummond, along with many other shit centers of today. Horace would be seen as a hybrid fineness center kinda like Shit Aldridge of Spurs.

One thing to take note here. natural PF position does not really exist today. It's 4 + center, aka in a positionless ball game. Natural power forwards we knew is no more tbh, they're prehistoric. Their role has shrunken with post up game considered as shit tactic. It's hard to imagine Barkley being an effective center in 4+1 era unless for the rare situations. His versatility however imho would serve him well in positionless ball era. So he wouldn't only face some of more natural PFs like Taj, Love, Ibaka, or Favors, but his competitions include wide range of talents such as:

Kevin Durant, LeBron, Otto Porter, either AD or Cousins, Draymond Green, Giannis, Porzingis, Blake Griffin, Ben Simmons, Millsap, Kawhi, Middleton, either George or Melo, Dirk or Harrison Barnes, Wiggins, Aaron Gordon, etc etc.

All of these young cats play overlapping position regularly and would be very likely the players Barkley would play against. How successful he would be in there, is anyone's guess.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby air gordon on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:34 am

shadowgrin wrote:Barkley is bizarro LeBron physically.

Well said

Ha how did Horace grant get involved in this one? The key to the Doberman defense. Think he'd do just fine in the league today
Jump.
air gordon

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:43 am

Horace Grant was more skilled than what Taj Gibson has.
Grant would still get 25-30 mpg today like Gibson does.

Someone mentioned tall point guards, pre-injury Penny would be crazy insane in this league. Could do better with his threes if he were playing today but no one could stop him going to the basket.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Sauru on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:05 pm

air gordon wrote:
shadowgrin wrote:Barkley is bizarro LeBron physically.

Well said

Ha how did Horace grant get involved in this one? The key to the Doberman defense. Think he'd do just fine in the league today

people constantly ask how a players game would translate and us legend tier players. all legend players would be fine in any era so to really ask the question you have to drop a couple notches and talk about those players. i mention grant because he was always one of my favorite players but his style of game is non existent it todays game. many borderline point guards from the past i feel would be improved today while many bigs would just be worse. take mutombo. yeah he would of course have a home in this league but imo he has no way near the impact today as he did back then. now sam perkins would excel in todays nba.

basically people need to stop talking about nba legends and start talking about the role players and see how they would actually translate. who is better today? who is worse?
Sauru

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball