Demo Impressions Thread

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Re: Demo Impressions Thread

Postby Izzy Snow on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:23 am

In other words, I will have to just accept the game as it is. I truly enjoy the game so now I'm just crossing my fingers that LUT will have the same gameplay as play now unlike in past 2 Live's there were known issues with LUT gameplay like the lack of standing dunks.
Izzy Snow

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:01 am

Agreed, hopefully there are no issues with dunk packages this time around, and if there are, then hopefully they can be resolved game-wide.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Izzy Snow on Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:43 pm

Andrew wrote:Agreed, hopefully there are no issues with dunk packages this time around, and if there are, then hopefully they can be resolved game-wide.

We will find out soon in just a little over 2 weeks!
Izzy Snow

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:09 am

I just got done playing Madden 18 for the first time... my god...

The Frostbite engine is amazing, the games graphics are just nuts. It feels great as well. I hope Live sticks around long enough to use the engine... I'm blown away by it.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:02 am

Anybody try the update yet? We can use more teams now.

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:05 am

Haven't played a full game from start to finish yet as I was capturing some screenshots, but really liking the fact they're tweaking and updating the demo. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:37 am

I feel the need to circle back to this thread, because a lot of back and forth took place. Because basketball gaming is a major part of my life, I need to let off a little steam here.

I have been accused of being a 2K fanboy, someone who is "just used to it and it's the only reason I like it more", someone who likes "long animations", someone who disregards or lies about gameplay aspects in order to favor 2K. Have you guys seen my posts on NBA 2K18, how much I absolutely despise the game and the gameplay direction? Did you see my posts after 2K17 was patched? This is me venting slightly, as I have been told all the things above (some in this thread), and it's really, really getting old.

You guys on here do realize that someone can prefer a certain title on a certain year, but not be a fanboy or biased right? You realize that someone can heavily critique a title based on how he really feels about the title, and not because of the favoring of another right? I mean, I think 2K18 is a monster step back for 2K, and because of all of it's weaknesses, I prefer Live 18 for the vs CPU experience this year. I still stand by everything I said about Live above, but it is a more enjoyable experience against the CPU for me, because the defense is overall better, the atmosphere is better (Crowd, lighting), the players look more like athletes, etc.

I stood up for NBA 2K17 pre patch, and I still will. I still play it a lot and enjoy it for the most part. But 2K18 gameplay wise is the worst for me. Players skating all over the court, out of control basketball where all the players blend in together, oversized heads and terrible atmosphere. In my opinion, this is Live's chance to truly shine. If Live gets frostbite engine, roster editing, and a solid franchise experience, NBA Live 19 could be the game that puts Live back in serious contention. The Frostbite graphics are amazing, the gameplay seems fluid...

C'mon Live... lets do this.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:43 am

I have to agree, nba live has such a good opportunity to move closer to being a threat to 2k and the fanbase if only they added roster management alone that would close the gap by a large margin.

I was a nba live fanboy till 2008 when there was just to much bad to ignore. I guess you can say I was 2k fanboy until 2016 when honestly I preferred Live 16, Iam all about franchise modes theses days and although I think the neighbourhood is a great idea I retired from playing actual basketball last year because fitting in work and home life was too much of a grind so the last thing I want is to sit there and go through that grind again. Other than that I feel that I've just being paying £50 each year for a roster update with 2k as the gameplay and it's problems remain.

Live 16 gameplay felt fresh and refreshing and it's something that has carried on to Live 18 as Iam having a lot of fun playing it, in the passed I've gotten obsessed with the perfect slider set but I think 2k actually has too many sliders that with each patch the gameplay changes so much and I think that's where Live 18 has the advantage because they don't over tweak the game that much.

On a separate note Iam on holiday at the moment so I brought the ps4 for when the wife and child go sleep early and I've being playing on a new 40" 4k tv and I now think I need to go home and buy a new tv because Live 18 looks amazing!!
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:01 am

The only problem I have with your post, is calling yourself a fanboy.

You were not a fanboy, you enjoyed the games more and thought they were better, which I can guarantee you could come up with all the reasons for. The fanboy title is used to call someone biased, or favoring for reasons that don't necessarily have to do with the overall game. Give yourself more credit.

And, I play on a 50 inch tv and I love it. The game from the broadcast view is appealing to me graphics wise.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:47 am

Sure I was a fanboy, I played Live from 95 and until 2008 if someone told me there was a better game out there I'd tell them they were wrong without really playing the other game in question. I did the same with 2k until 2015. I've now played both 2k18 and Live 18 and this year Iam truly in favour of the Live 18 gameplay. Since the patch Iam having some really fun competitive games on superstar level and that's all I ask from an nba video game, of course I want roster management and deeper franchise mode but Iam liking what there doing right now at EA.
Last edited by mp3 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
mp3

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:55 am

Okay, that makes sense now.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:03 am

I play on a 48"Samsung LCD tv at home but it's about 8 years old and I didn't realise how dated it was until I played on this tv and the graphics are so much better than the definition is amazing
mp3

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:26 am

Yeah im on a 50 inch Vizio that's about 2 or 3 years old.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:37 am

There are times when we're all a bit stubborn about our point of view, but generally speaking, calling someone a fanboy, hater, or even just biased is clearly an ad hominem, a cheap method of dismissing their opinion without countering their arguments or presenting arguments for your own view. In fairness, if it's popular to bash or gush about something then it is possible to be accidentally lumped in with actual fanboys/haters, but I agree that those terms are thrown around way too readily these days.

Personally, I have a certain affection for NBA Live that I don't have when it comes to NBA 2K, and that's due to a couple of reasons. I grew up with NBA Live and recall when it was the best game on the market, and very enjoyable year to year. Also, the way 2K handles PR leaves something to be desired. There's an air of arrogance that I find off-putting, and while I've come to love the games, I don't feel the same affinity for the brand.

Does that affect my opinion of the games? I'd like to think that I can offer a fair appraisal of them both at the end of the day. I think one of the big differences in how I look at both games is that one is a rebuilding team or player with potential, while the other is a contender or established superstar. The bar is going to be set higher for the latter, so it's easy to be more critical of shortcomings there. At the same time, there's also frustration with the former, when it feels like there hasn't been significant enough progress.

It's funny what triggers accusations of being a fanboy or hater though. I'll talk at length on the podcast or in articles about how I enjoy NBA 2K and still feel it's the better overall product, but then I'll say that I don't care for the story in MyCAREER, and get accused of being an NBA Live fanboy looking for any excuse to bash NBA 2K. Who 's really the fanboy in that scenario is quite obvious, seeing how defensive they're getting about a valid criticism amidst more complimentary opinions.

I guess that's the way it goes. Going back to my original point, why spend time and energy having a conversation where you consider the other person's point of view and present arguments for your own take, when you can try to end it immediately with accusations of bias? Unfortunately, it's the easier strategy.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Previous

Return to NBA Live 18