Official NBA 2K18 Impressions Topic

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Re: Official NBA 2K18 Impressions Topic

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:30 pm

While I'm still disgusted by the VC gouging, I am liking MyCAREER a little more, the more I play it. The gameplay though, not the story, Neighborhood approach, or VC gouging. I do think the NBA side of things - MyLEAGUE, Play Now, MyTEAM, etc - is a lot better; at least as good as NBA 2K17, but I would say noticeably improved.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby el badman on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:20 am

Some very early impressions for now.
So for the 1st time in almost 20 years I had skipped last year's game (I used to also get NBA Live prior to 2K becoming the only PC option), because I could sense that the direction it was taking was more and more about pointless gimmicks and microtransactions, and less about actual gameplay and having fun. For some reason, I felt compelled to shell out 60 bucks for 2K18 this time around, and for now I can't say that I've been converted back to a fan yet.
Like mostly everybody else who's leaving reviews about it, I'm shocked by how much the gameplay itself has become sluggish in the last few years, with less and less control of your player. I know that a big issue years ago was the apparent lack of physics, which was certainly impacting the realism, but it seems that now even the fastest players seem weighted down by cast iron shoes, forcing you to heavily modify the sliders to get an experience that at least resembles what the game used to be about. There's even more of a delay in animations for just about anything you attempt with the ball, which probably improves a bit on overall realism when looking at it from the outside, but certainly diminishes the fun factor by quite a lot.
The graphics are solid and the presentation is obviously where a lot of efforts went, but considering how much the game used to cost when it started on PC and how much it costs now, I would personally expect more eye candy when everything is cranked up to max.
I've barely scratched the surface for now, and I'm sure MyCareer will be fun to some extent, but for now I would say that once again the game seems to be all about form over substance.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:41 am

As for the free throws, it seems to be more forgiving in the game than during the practice. That said, I have bought (150 VC) and equipped Kyle Korver's free throw form and it kinda helped. It's very slow, easy to time. I'm OVR 67 now, so it's either locked behind 65 or not at all.

The GUI for gameplay moves etc is terrible though.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Jackal on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:53 am

Stop giving them your money for shit that shouldn't be behind a paywall.

Well, it's more of a wish than a demand. It's your money, feel free to spend as you wish.
Jackal

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:04 am

Well, I for example am not planning on purchasing any amount of VC. I can now get relatively good amount per match anyway.

Speaking of VC, one thing came to mind. Last year we had to pay to upgrade badges and that is gone now. This year you can have much more badges than 5, so that might actually be a good amount of VC saved.
Not saying haircuts locked behind VC is good, but it's fair to mention when something becomes free. It's not like you can pay to skip the badge grind.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:55 am

Alright, I managed to get the silver version of the free throw badge (I get fouled a lot as a slasher)... So Andrew, you as a shooter, grind it out. just grind it out.

I'm not missing anymore in practice. I'm simply not missing with the Kyle Korver form since I got the silver version. It's swish most of the time too, doesn't matter if it's green, good, slightly late, slightly soon release. It just swishes most of the time.
I've had 25, 26 and 28 points in the drill with the silver badge. 25 is still three star result with 1k points towards the progress to the badge BTW.

Gold badge in 72K (well, 69K now) points. That's just probably gonna say "don't even shoot it, we'll just add the points".

So guys, if you're struggling with free throws, Kyle Korver form and silver badge. At least that works for my 6'8" SF.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:54 am

I'm almost at the Bronze badge. I'll try out Korver's form, thanks for the tip. (Y)

I've unlocked MyCOURT customisation at 75 Overall, and I am happy to say that this year, MyCOURT customisation is free. Whatever you want, it's immediately available, no VC to pay. That's a very welcome reprieve with so much else going behind a VC paywall. While I still think it's ridiculous that haircuts and facial hair cost VC now, at least they've allowed some cosmetic items to be free.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Is anyone experiencing some weird camera shake when having the ball on offense ? this happens to me like half the damn time almost, it's super annoying...

I haven't played 2K in years but I remember you could shake the camera if you were on home court by hitting the shoulder buttons when the opponent is shooting free throws, I think that was in VS mode if you were playing against a friend or something...
I think it's the same principle here maybe, I don't get wtf is going on this is one of the stupidest things they could have put in the game...

any info on this guys?
thanks
ChrisCP3Paul

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:10 pm

It seems to happen when you're on the road, an extension of the shaking camera during free throws when the crowd is raucous. I'm guessing there's a setting to turn it off as well, if you don't want the AI to be able to do it to you.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:16 pm

You can't turn it of as of now in MyCareer. The setting is simply missing, hopefully we'll get it back.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Jackal on Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:44 am

Something they need to bring back or address is the shot-meter for layups. From what I gather the controller vibrates when the ideal time is to let go, but that's annoying as shit. I can't make a layup 3 out of 5 times when it should be the exact opposite with a rare miss in congested lanes.
Jackal

Postby ThePointForward on Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:55 am

Not to mention the controller vibrations seem to not work for large number of users, me included.

For what it's worth, the shot meter for layups is top 3 requested feature on Reddit (they're sending it to VC).
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:56 am

Jackal wrote:Something they need to bring back or address is the shot-meter for layups. From what I gather the controller vibrates when the ideal time is to let go, but that's annoying as shit. I can't make a layup 3 out of 5 times when it should be the exact opposite with a rare miss in congested lanes.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of having release timing on layups as it is, but if you're going to have it, it needs to have the meter, like it did last year.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:16 am

I'd love it if they removed the meter, it's not needed as you mentioned.

Really wonder if the game will be more enjoyable/they listen to the feedback they receive.
Jackal

Postby ThePointForward on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:30 am

Funny enough the layup shot meter still pops up from time to time.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:40 am

Jackal wrote:I'd love it if they removed the meter, it's not needed as you mentioned.

My feeling is that the meter is needed if you're going to have shot timing. At the very least, it needs to be an option. But I'd prefer shot timing to not be needed on layups at all, since my feeling is that it just hasn't worked out as intended.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:36 am

oh wow so the camera shake is supposed to be there it's not a glitch ? :roll:

what about the shot releases ? if I remember correctly in previous 2K's the ball would get released when you let go of the shot button you could actually hold the shot button jump up and if you continue holding it the player would fall back down to the ground still holding the ball and having a travel called.... now it releases automatically by itself while I'm still holding the button down ?
This takes a lot out of the immersion, I would like to be in full control of my player's shot release

Perfect example right there they want to add "realism" with the camera shake, yet take out an actual feature that really IS supposed to work that way....
ChrisCP3Paul

Postby Uncle Drew on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:23 am

Dommy73 wrote:I was missing Shaq and Kyrie (most noticeable) when I did the all teams.

Sounds like a epic fail to me. From the sound of these reviews, I won't be in a rush to get it.
Uncle Drew

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:28 am

ChrisCP3Paul wrote:oh wow so the camera shake is supposed to be there it's not a glitch ? :roll:

what about the shot releases ? if I remember correctly in previous 2K's the ball would get released when you let go of the shot button you could actually hold the shot button jump up and if you continue holding it the player would fall back down to the ground still holding the ball and having a travel called.... now it releases automatically by itself while I'm still holding the button down ?
This takes a lot out of the immersion, I would like to be in full control of my player's shot release

Perfect example right there they want to add "realism" with the camera shake, yet take out an actual feature that really IS supposed to work that way....

The camera shakes for me when the crowd is chanting "DEFENSE" and hitting the bleachers with feet. It's really silly, it doesn't add to the immersion, it actually hurts it. Don't try to give a game life in that way when you can't give it life in a normal way (Like correct lighting, crowd reactions, etc).
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 am

Andrew wrote:
Jackal wrote:I'd love it if they removed the meter, it's not needed as you mentioned.

My feeling is that the meter is needed if you're going to have shot timing. At the very least, it needs to be an option. But I'd prefer shot timing to not be needed on layups at all, since my feeling is that it just hasn't worked out as intended.

My bad, I was multitasking and didn't type a coherent sentence. I meant I am totally in for no shot timing on the layups. Since they are timed, I would like the meter. But if they removed the timing of it all and just let me make a layup, I'd be much happier. Sorry for being unclear.
Jackal

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:47 am

Ah, gotcha. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:10 am

BTW during team practice when you do layup it shows the timing like on a shot, so you can train it a bit.

But yeah, just make it percentage based on ratings, type of layup and badges.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:21 am

Oddly, I'm shooting worse from the foul line with Kyle Korver's form. I did just get the Bronze Free Throw Ace Badge though, so we'll see how that goes. Chances are up over 70% now, at least.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:08 pm

I had terrible perfromance in free throw drills yesterday, complete 180 from the sunday. Still two star performances though.

I'm honestly baffled by it.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Yuurei on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:16 pm

Is there an option to set the sim game time in MyCareer mode? I set the quarter time to 6 minutes, but I have the feeling that simulated games have a 9 minutes quarters and I can't find an option to change it.

By the way, since this is my first entry - Hello to everyone :)
Last edited by Yuurei on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yuurei

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K18