Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Re: The Prelude Impressions

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:53 pm

StyxTx wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:
jay-r wrote:
StyxTx wrote:
jay-r wrote:
Totally agree. I am enjoying nba live 18 demo so much more, eventhough its more arcade than sim..

More arcade? I don't think so, but fans of 2k will always say that. At least in Live you don't have to spend VC for hair and beards.

Well you sound like a hater :D, but I am as objective as it gets. Everyone has its own opinions and perception of things. IMO, the more basketball titles on pc/consoles, the better and I will never totally dismiss/ undermine one over another. I love the fact that live is back and as I said I have more fun @the nba live 18 demo than I did on 2k, but with all that said, you can't argue that one is more arcade-ish and what I mean by that -> in 2k when you hit/miss layup, shot, dunk its explanatory 99% of the time, meaning the surrounding conditions led to it, but in live you can hit all sort of crazy shots/dunk in traffic and in many cases its not compatible with reality/surrounding conditions, if I can say so. You get it? And this is what separates it from 2k.. and I am not saying its bad..its just different and its been a lot of fun for stretches and there are whole bunch of other things besides game-play that I like about live (Y)

I hate the 2k fanboy talk, or Live Hater, or Live fanboy, or whatever. We are above that. I like your reasoning about conditions, because it means you put thought into it. You know, people can have an opinion without being a "Hater", or people can call out something about a game without hating the whole game, or using bias to come to that conclusion. I prefer 2K, but It's not just because it's 2k, I have a list of reasons why. Live has a way to go, but it certainly has improved.

"But fans of 2K will always say that" is a generalization and it's implying that any 2K fan will have bias when it comes to critiquing basketball titles. You know as well as I do that that's a completely false statement. Most of us are basketball gaming fans, as in, if a new basketball title comes along or an existing basketball title improves to our liking, we will absolutely give it a shot and become a consumer more times than not.

Lets cut the 2K fanboy, Live hater etc out of the conversations and keep bringing the feedback. Live has stuff to improve on, and so does 2K.

I meant to say hardcore fans of 2k, the ones who see any competition to their game as a threat to be defused. They will attack anyone who says anything negative about 2k or anything positive about Live, or any other basketball game the see as a threat. I would guess the average age of these sorts is around 13, but they are there.

So 2k isn't arcadish? This doesn't explain how as a team we always shot 55% or better for seasons and average between 120 & 130 points per game. One season we went 78-4. It didn't matter what team I went to, good teams IRL, poor teams, we always walked away with our division, and usually the league.

I shot 60% or better as a SG and could make layups and dunks at will......mostly cuz the AI defense is really bad and would leave me to go help someone else on defense for who knows why.

I'd raise the difficulty level and all it would effect is the opposing team's ability to score....they'd score more, keep up with us. We'd still score 120-130 points per game. That is an accurate simulation? Seems pretty arcade to me.

Both attempt to be Sims but have aspects to them that get out of control in the realism spectrum. The defense in 2K17 (especially after patches) was complete and total garbage at times, I've been saying that for awhile.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:39 pm

diamenz wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:
diamenz wrote:would you guys say the controls/movement is similar to 2k11/12 when players felt light and responsive? also, i'm guessing you guys didn't see much in terms of the transition defense legacy issues, along with the 2k17 half court defensive fiaso? if those are much improved, i may just preorder even though i know i shouldn't.

I'm making a video about the offense and the defense, and will post it either today or tomorrow. It will have commentary.

The players feel very light, and the defense still needs work.

great, looking forward to it.

I'm getting that video out today that breaks down the 5 on 5 gameplay. Sorry for the delay.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby kingpnp on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:31 am

Dee4Three wrote:
Andrew wrote:The frequency of dunks and inside shooting percentages in general in the NBA Live 18 Demo isn't quite as realistic as it could be, but apart from that, the gameplay is definitely sim-oriented. Let's not confuse not measuring up to a desired level of realism with arcade-style gameplay. Neither NBA Live 18 nor NBA 2K18 play like NBA Jam, NBA Street, or NBA Playgrounds.

I agree with this, both games are trying to be sim. My biggest gripe with Live outside of the robotic movements sometimes is how easy it is to hit crazy layups. Double teams, triple teams, small on big, most of the time it doesn't matter, the ball finds it's way into the hoop. It takes some of the fun out of actually creating space or making a good move around the player because you feel like sometimes you could just charge in there and score anyway.

I can guarantee that EA will come out with a patch for this to make them tougher, they are clearly listening to all feedback and implementing.
they could be a bit easy. but you're also use to 2k over doing it and making you blow point blank range layups just because a defender is UNDERNEATH the basket. not technically bothering your shot/layup at all. the balls goes up gets stuck on the rim rolls in then rolls out. that aint even physically possible. lol.

This happens all the time on 2k. I hate how often you blow normal basic layups. thats not realistic. people at the nba level do not and will not blow constant layups without a defender really on them. not just in the vicinity. both games need to tweek their layups and how they are made vs the defenders and their positioning.

2k artificially makes you miss if you've made too many. just to clean up the fg%. That aint me in control of anything when that happens.
kingpnp

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:40 am

kingpnp wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:
Andrew wrote:The frequency of dunks and inside shooting percentages in general in the NBA Live 18 Demo isn't quite as realistic as it could be, but apart from that, the gameplay is definitely sim-oriented. Let's not confuse not measuring up to a desired level of realism with arcade-style gameplay. Neither NBA Live 18 nor NBA 2K18 play like NBA Jam, NBA Street, or NBA Playgrounds.

I agree with this, both games are trying to be sim. My biggest gripe with Live outside of the robotic movements sometimes is how easy it is to hit crazy layups. Double teams, triple teams, small on big, most of the time it doesn't matter, the ball finds it's way into the hoop. It takes some of the fun out of actually creating space or making a good move around the player because you feel like sometimes you could just charge in there and score anyway.

I can guarantee that EA will come out with a patch for this to make them tougher, they are clearly listening to all feedback and implementing.
they could be a bit easy. but you're also use to 2k over doing it and making you blow point blank range layups just because a defender is UNDERNEATH the basket. not technically bothering your shot/layup at all. the balls goes up gets stuck on the rim rolls in then rolls out. that aint even physically possible. lol.

This happens all the time on 2k. I hate how often you blow normal basic layups. thats not realistic. people at the nba level do not and will not blow constant layups without a defender really on them. not just in the vicinity. both games need to tweek their layups and how they are made vs the defenders and their positioning.

2k artificially makes you miss if you've made too many. just to clean up the fg%. That aint me in control of anything when that happens.

Again, I can differentiate the two games. Stop assuming it's because I am used to something. Live is crazy with the shots you make in the paint, it needs to be a happy medium between 2K and Live, that's the bottom line.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Previous

Return to NBA 2K18