Full Version Impressions: Via EA Access

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Full Version Impressions: Via EA Access

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:23 am

I've been playing the full version. A couple things that stand out right now:

1. The input lag is terrible, it's perfect on 2K18 and on Madden, but I am getting a major delay on Live between when I hit the button and the action actually occurs.

2. The ability to roster edit is a must for next year... some of the shooting forms they chose are cringe worthy, nothing like the real player. Dirks shooting form isn't even close. 2k messes this up as well, but atleast we can fix it.

3. Layups in traffic are so easy, doesn't matter who is around the basket. The acrobatic layups happen so often, many miracle shots that would be number one plays on SC happen in one game, sometimes one half.

4. I don't feel a difference at all between the demo and the full game, actually I feel slightly more input lag.

5. The WNBA license is really nice.

Anybody else playing the full game right now?
Last edited by Dee4Three on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: Full Version Impressions: Via EA Access

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:29 am

And actually, one thing I just noticed that I really like. Big men going vertical with both arms up on defense sometimes (Think Hibbert)
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:38 am

Strange to hear that, when others aren't reporting the same lag, and saying the full version feels different/better than the demo. Not doubting that that's your experience, but it does seem to be a different experience to what others are having so far.

I'm on PS4, so I'll just have to wait.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:57 am

The jumping in slow motion kills the game in the paint. It looks and feels so strange..

Brook Lopez is out here playing like Iverson. He hit two step back threes on me, and hes slashing with PG speed from the perimeter into super atheltic layups and dunks. The speed of the players is really off.

Offensive rebounds on free throws are a huge problem. They literally happen like 50% of the time. I had multiple offensive rebounds in the first half with Tyler Zeller (of course I wasn't using him, I was shooting the free throw).

The reverse layups that all look the same happen all the time, I'll be driving baseline trying to go up strong, and my offensive player will go into a reverse layup animation (the same one, the wide one). The centers have the same animation as the guards.

These things need to be talked about and ironed out. I have already bought the digital game, so this is coming from a consumer who can't get a refund. If I had contact with them, I'd get it over to them myself.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:10 am

Definitely keep compiling a list of all that stuff. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:29 am

Andrew wrote:Strange to hear that, when others aren't reporting the same lag, and saying the full version feels different/better than the demo. Not doubting that that's your experience, but it does seem to be a different experience to what others are having so far.

I'm on PS4, so I'll just have to wait.

I fixed the lag problem. I just needed to restart the system.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:48 am

That's good news then. The rest will be up to EA, of course.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:03 pm

One thing I hope they tone down is when a player is driving the lane for a dunk and you as the defender is there ready, attempting to block pressing the button but your player won't leave the ground feels a bit canned but it's something that's been in both the games for years now
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby matmat66 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:29 am

Hi Dee, just want to ask if NBA Live has the option to switch to real player field goal percentage and free throw percentage similar to 2K? I can really be horrendous with the stick timing. Thanks.
matmat66

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:56 am

matmat66 wrote:Hi Dee, just want to ask if NBA Live has the option to switch to real player field goal percentage and free throw percentage similar to 2K? I can really be horrendous with the stick timing. Thanks.

There is a Ratings + Skill setting.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:58 am

Andrew wrote:
matmat66 wrote:Hi Dee, just want to ask if NBA Live has the option to switch to real player field goal percentage and free throw percentage similar to 2K? I can really be horrendous with the stick timing. Thanks.

There is a Ratings + Skill setting.

Wow sorry, I didn't see that question.

Like Andrew said, that setting exists.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby RICH72601 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:25 am

I think if you're a Live fan, you can be happy with the progression of this title. For me though, Live still falls very short to truly please my basketball appetite. The lack of roster editing really kills it for me. I also don't feel significant differentiation between all the players. I was playing against the Celtics and Al Horford did a 360 layup like John Wall. There's far too many instances to where I see a lot players doing some of the same moves, regardless of position. I do believe there is a fun factor to Live 18, but IMO, they've lost too much ground in between and their interpretation of basketball just doesn't appease my grown man tastes in this current day.
RICH72601

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:14 pm

For Live, any kind of noteworthy progress is important, and I'd say there has been that. There's still tweaking to be done, and tightening up in terms of player differentiation. I'm hoping we'll start seeing modes and features fleshed out in 19.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:28 pm

My first impressions if the full game is that it's nba live 16 with an update... But that's not a bad thing really because I truly think they were on to something good with live 16, the gameplay was fun and competitive while the animations lacked and looked awkward at times some awkward animations remain but the game feels smooth enough now and the graphics/player faces look on point even tho there are some players who haven't got there this year as far as I've seen EA has matched up a player face that has a likeness of the player it's supposed to be instead of the placeholders they had in Live 16.

I don't understand why they still can't add roster editing and why they don't seemed to want to talk about it which does bug me but looking at the rosters on the release date they did a better job adding more missing players than last time but there are still some changes that need making for example they have Tim Hardaway jr on the knicks wearing number 10 which is a retired jersey (Walt Clyde) but that's just a minor fix.

Glad to see franchise mode got revamped and they finally added a injury/transitions page.

First impressions are the game looks solid enough to draw in better numbers than live 16 sold, they could do with adding a few more jerseys to the game as well.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Return to NBA Live 18