NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:21 pm

I went with The One Edition through the PSN store. Figure I'm going to be busy, too. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:44 pm

ThaLiveKing wrote:The actual game plays better than the demo, a ton of people can testify to that

Demo plays nothing like this
phpBB [video]

Thank you for all the gameplay videos you uploaded, watching your the gameplay closely reminded me why I prefer Live to 2k now, sure it's not perfect but what game has ever being?

Did you get chance to look at dynasty mode? Did they at least add a trade/injury screen?
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Izzy Snow on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:43 pm

StyxTx wrote:One thing I was having fun with today was passing the ball in ways I was never able to do, in either Live or 2K. I was making some pretty nifty passes. Looks pretty cool to me.

One was splitting the defenders in the paint getting the ball to a guy who broke and got inside for a beautiful dunk. Haven't gotten the alley-oop down just yet.

In previous versions of either game, that would be stolen. No such thing as splitting defenders. I was expecting it to get stolen.

I've been posting a ton of short clips on Twitter. Here's a nice no look pass I pulled off with John Wall.

http://twitter.com/EpiCz_Izzy_Snow/status/906978821211082754
Izzy Snow

Postby Izzy Snow on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:45 pm

Dee4Three wrote:Just officially pre ordered the game, and signed up for EA Access. So the game was $35.99... not bad.

I'll be a busy guy the 15th.

I've been playing the full retail version of the game since Friday. I've been playing on Superstar and to me, once you figure out how to play with one team first, you can beat any team. So with my Wizards I've taken down the Dubs, C's, Rockets, and the Spurs. Next up for me are the Cavs.
Izzy Snow

Postby mp3 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:53 pm

That's where sliders come into play, that's one thing I loved about the nba live 16 gameplay once the sliders were set they were perfect for the life of the game and each game felt competitive
mp3

Postby StyxTx on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:15 pm

Izzy Snow wrote:I've been posting a ton of short clips on Twitter. Here's a nice no look pass I pulled off with John Wall.

http://twitter.com/EpiCz_Izzy_Snow/status/906978821211082754

Yeah, that type of thing. (Y)
StyxTx

Postby StyxTx on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:16 pm

mp3 wrote:That's where sliders come into play, that's one thing I loved about the nba live 16 gameplay once the sliders were set they were perfect for the life of the game and each game felt competitive

Now, every time you get the sliders right a new patch comes out changing everything.
StyxTx

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:26 pm

StyxTx wrote:
mp3 wrote:That's where sliders come into play, that's one thing I loved about the nba live 16 gameplay once the sliders were set they were perfect for the life of the game and each game felt competitive

Now, every time you get the sliders right a new patch comes out changing everything.

True, but they have the game play close to legit this year, they just have to make players in the paint more aware of bodies, so that all the put backs are kept to a minimum.
ThaLiveKing

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:28 pm

mp3 wrote:
ThaLiveKing wrote:The actual game plays better than the demo, a ton of people can testify to that

phpBB [video]

Thank you for all the gameplay videos you uploaded, watching your the gameplay closely reminded me why I prefer Live to 2k now, sure it's not perfect but what game has ever being?

Did you get chance to look at dynasty mode? Did they at least add a trade/injury screen?

This is the best NBA Live game game play wise that we've ever had. There's no debate. I posted a Raptors vs Hornets FULL Game, and re-watching it, its like a real game. This game on Frostbite, is gonna be COOOOOLD
ThaLiveKing

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:46 pm

ThaLiveKing wrote:
mp3 wrote:

phpBB [video]

This is the best NBA Live game game play wise that we've ever had. There's no debate. I posted a Raptors vs Hornets FULL Game, and re-watching it, its like a real game. This game on Frostbite, is gonna be COOOOOLD

After playing Madden 18 (I own it), Frostbite is absolutely insane. It's more fluid, and the graphics are out of this world. I feel like if Live really makes a splash this year (Shows promise) with sales, Live will get frostbite... and man will that be awesome.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Stress Fracture on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:04 am

Downloaded this and The Prelude, I kinda liked the Live one.

This is just me thinking that gameplay is somewhat robotic, or I am just used to 2K's gameplay.

Mike Breen and JVG's commentary are just bad.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:25 am

The movement does take some getting used to.

I don't dislike the commentary as a lot of people do. It reminds me a lot of an actual NBA on ESPN broadcast, because the lead team does tend to have weird pauses and dead air, especially when JVG is in mid-thought/rant. That's not to say it can't be improved, but I think in some ways, it's more of an indictment of ESPN's current lead broadcast team than NBA Live.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Stress Fracture on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:21 am

Mike Breen is somewhat sticking on the script (if there is) given to him, not really his real life counterpart.

I'm just glad EA and NBA Live are back and making this much noise.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:52 am

The commentary sounds kind of childish, but it works because it's still authentic voices. The presentation on Live gets a high grade from me overall.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Izzy Snow on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:01 am

Dee4Three wrote:The commentary sounds kind of childish, but it works because it's still authentic voices. The presentation on Live gets a high grade from me overall.

The crowd atmosphere, player banter, Mike Breen interrupting his own commentary and Jeff's color commentary after a big play, all adds to the overall presentation. I agree with Andrew that it can be improved but I was surprised at how good it is. Matter fact, I'm surprised at how good the overall game is! Can't wait to hear all of everyone's thoughts on the game after the 15th.
Izzy Snow

Postby [Q] on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:14 am

Dee4Three wrote:The commentary sounds kind of cartoonish, but it works because it's still authentic voices.

Fixed.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:17 am

[Q] wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:The commentary sounds kind of cartoonish, but it works because it's still authentic voices.

Fixed.

Is that your opinion? Or is this another podcast discussion that I didn't hear that you are using to make a point?

Because it does come off childish to me. I praised EA's presentation, including the fact that they have very real life presentation overall.

Also, I ask that you don't misquote me, even as a joke. A first time viewer to the thread could think I said cartoonish, which I did not.

Note: Childish as in, the tone the broadcasters use and how they rarely go into depth about anything. Almost like its tailored to those who don't know a whole lot about basketball in general. It's very simple.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:47 am

I believe Q is just dropping it in there to make a running gag out of my general dislike of the word "cartoonish", which I will occasionally mention on the Podcast and in articles. Or indeed, write an entire article about it.

I'll admit that I'm not really getting the childish vibe from the commentary, but I would agree that it's more basic and elementary compared to NBA 2K. The upside there is that you don't get a lot of repeated anecdotes, but there's definitely room for improvement.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:39 pm

Stress Fracture wrote:Downloaded this and The Prelude, I kinda liked the Live one.

This is just me thinking that gameplay is somewhat robotic, or I am just used to 2K's gameplay.

Mike Breen and JVG's commentary are just bad.

Van Gundy annoys me to death. I turn off commentary because of him. His almost yelling everything. Ugh.
StyxTx

Postby StyxTx on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:43 pm

ThaLiveKing wrote:
StyxTx wrote:

True, but they have the game play close to legit this year, they just have to make players in the paint more aware of bodies, so that all the put backs are kept to a minimum.

Yeah, but every year the release is ok. It's the follow up patches that eliminate all the new stuff that was added for the new version and that's why I don't trust them anymore. 2k17 ended off being 2k16 revisited. So we'll see how long this great movement stuff lasts. I should start a pool about it. lol
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:43 pm

I have mixed feelings about JVG's commentary, in real life and in NBA Live. Sometimes he feels like the only voice of reason in what seems like a real dark age for NBA coverage and commentary, and other times he's just too amped up and annoying about his point.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:53 pm

You used "childish" in the same way a lot of people would use "cartoonish' and not explain what they mean. You went on to finally explain it in your "Note" above, so I'm satisfied.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:04 pm

My goal is not to satisfy you.

[Q] wrote: I like to act like a know it all, and I'm an avid instigator of trouble on this forum. I'll say things to act elite, but half the time I don't have anything insightful to say or add to a conversation.

Well, atleast you were honest.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:14 pm

StyxTx wrote:
ThaLiveKing wrote:
StyxTx wrote:

Yeah, but every year the release is ok. It's the follow up patches that eliminate all the new stuff that was added for the new version and that's why I don't trust them anymore. 2k17 ended off being 2k16 revisited. So we'll see how long this great movement stuff lasts. I should start a pool about it. lol

Yeah I've said it before, 2k17 felt fresh out the box but patch after patch they turned the game into 2k16 faults included.
mp3

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:49 pm

MP3, you play on PC right?

Backup that .exe on release. It won't help online, but it will save your offline play.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live 18