NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby mp3 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:33 pm

I played a little last night with the patch update, the game does feel a bit better but like Dee4Three said things like not putting in Brown's hightop and the amount of missing player pictures from the roster to me seems like we CoD be in for another game like Live 16 with gernic players or placeholder players.

Also why is there still no mention of roster editing, deeper dynasty modes?
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:59 pm

I assume they'll keep pushing through player scans like they have in previous years. I'm not holding my breath in regards to roster editing, and I'm assuming Dynasty will be fairly straightforward.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby kingpnp on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:57 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:I've been growing wearing of the Cavs and Warriors, I'm ready for the full game. Less than two weeks away

They heard you. lol
kingpnp

Postby kingpnp on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:59 am

mp3 wrote:I played a little last night with the patch update, the game does feel a bit better but like Dee4Three said things like not putting in Brown's hightop and the amount of missing player pictures from the roster to me seems like we CoD be in for another game like Live 16 with gernic players or placeholder players.

Also why is there still no mention of roster editing, deeper dynasty modes?

You do not want to hear a single word about editing or dynasty until they get the actual basketball portion right. This is for your own good. yes we all want it all to be top notch. But no do not even hint at them thinking about other modes until they get the basics down tight. THENNNN they can move on to the other modes and extras. as much as you would love to have roster editing. I bet you wouldnt want it if the game play sucked. As much as you would like a dynasty mode. what good would it be if the actual basketball game play sucked.?

Some people think " but they can do two things at once" ehhhh not so much at this time. Once they get the gameplay tight then yes. but not right now.
kingpnp

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:13 am

There are some basics that are overdue to be re-added to Dynasty, however. I do think having some basic customisation features and a reasonably solid franchise mode is a must, because that's where the longevity is.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:14 am

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play the updated version since we are temporarily living someplace other than home due to hurricane damage, so I have no way to access internet to download games or whatever. I am stuck using my phone for internet and I don't have a hotspot.

So, I am reading what you all say about the updates and it seems to me they are listening and attempting to come out with as polished a version as possible upon release.

People say this is more of a beta. This is a good thing in my view.

Right now, I am leaning towards purchasing Live as I have already decided against 2k.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:50 am

Still work to be done, but there have been improvements. The feedback doesn't seem to be going astray, which is encouraging.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby jay-r on Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:02 pm

Although overall nba live 18 is nowhere close to nba 2k, I still like playing it + I simply appreciate another basketball title on ps4, which will eventually benefit us all and both titles.
jay-r

Postby kingpnp on Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:21 am

Andrew wrote:There are some basics that are overdue to be re-added to Dynasty, however. I do think having some basic customisation features and a reasonably solid franchise mode is a must, because that's where the longevity is.

drew. the reason i said what i said is because I have a funny feeling that the LIVE team is not large enough to support creating all of these additional features. What we call a basic feature was there because they had a team large enough to have big groups of people working on those features while other groups were working on the gameplay and/or other modes.

for fake example:

lets say back in the good old live days they had a team of 50 people.

25 on game play. 10 on extras(roster editing, camera angles, lightning, shoes, accessories, etc.) and another 15 on game modes(franchise mode, Ultimate team, etc.)

Now that every game has to have a my player mode. now you have to dedicate a good 10 guys to that alone. there goes 10 guys they just stole from the accessories squad.
When in reality Live should have a team of 75 people. to cover it all at the same time.

This is why i keep saying let them focus on gameplay and let that be that at this point. Because I really dont believe they have the man power to do anything extra at this time. IF.......a big IF....this game sells. Not like 2k. but does a decent job for being gone for a year and sucking for multiple years in a row. Those sells will grant them a larger team next year, and on...and on. This is one of the reasons Why i pre-ordered the game without much knowledge of the actual game. I'm putting my money where my mouth is. I'm invested in these guys. in hopes that they can make that comeback.
kingpnp

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:41 am

Unless they've downsized the team since I visited the studio in 2015, I think they're large enough to bring back certain features and add things here or there to the modes. I agree that gameplay is paramount, but ideally there should be some token additions to the modes in the interim, because I said, that's where the longevity is.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:17 pm

I decided to pre-order.

For one, I like the thought that my ratings do matter and I feel I control my player, not sucked into animations constantly like in 2k.

I always felt in 2k that when I got a badge I could no longer play that skill as good as I did before I had the badge. It also seemed like the more badges I had, the more loss of control over my player I had, doing weird crap like running halfway across the court to commit a foul.....when I was not even holding the controller, and getting sucked into animations more frequently. I got to the point I cringed when I got a new badge because I never set out to get any. I just felt my player played better without any badges.

Also in 2k, even though I had extremely high defensive ratings and most of the major defensive badges at gold or better, whatever that next level was, teams would still pick on me. I know this because I would always lead my team in opponents shots against, and by a big margin, opponents shots allowed, etc. One of my players was allowing 37% opponent shooting but I still led my team in shots against me per 36 minutes.

In the last version of Live, as my ratings got better, I saw my player get better and teams became more cautious about attacking my strengths. I'm confident it will be the same in this version. I didn't see any real improvement with my player in 2k as my ratings went up. The only difference I saw was that really good players on my team would suddenly not play anything like their real life counterparts.

I want a game where I can be a passing/defensive minded PG, as I was in real life. This will be the test. In 2k, you are forced to carry the team in scoring at some point, which is why my teammates would suddenly stop being the scoring stars they are IRL. I don't want to be the big scorer. As unbelievable as this may sound, I find shooting to be boring. IRL I always had fun helping my teammates score, plus I couldn't shoot for crap, but then I never worked on shooting. Anyway, that's how I'd like to play and I'm interested to see if Live is in the same state of mind as 2k, thinking we HAVE to be big scorers, or if I can be the type of player I want to be. To be honest, I don't even want to be a star, just a successful teammate on a winning team.

It just seems to me the IQ of Live is better than 2k. As I was playing the updated demo today, I saw defensive switches on picks. I was pretty impressed watching the defensive player in Live doing switches, playing good help defense, etc.

In 2k, a pick causes a traffic jam of players making it impossible for anyone to get out of it, especially my player, and if someone did, they went to defend the wrong player. In fact, most of the time defenders never switched off. They would leave their opponent wide open while coming to play help defense though. I didn't see that in the games I payed with Live today.

I know most people think 2k is so great, but in many ways I think it's inferior to Live when it comes to game play.

I also believe that all players play more like their real life counterparts than they do in 2k.

I like Live's way of upgrading players, not lumping a group of skills into categories. I feel having to work on improving individual skills creates a lot more diversity in players. It also takes a long time to get all ratings up, unlike 2k where you can buy your way up to a point then get maxed out in the first season. So, after you're maxed out, what else is there? In Live, even after two seasons, I had certain skills that were lacking. The constant desire to improve keeps interest in Live alive for a lot longer than 2k.

Oh, did I mention Live hasn't made a habit of releasing patch after patch causing the game to get worse and worse?

Also, live doesn't VC you to death. 2k is a money grabbing monster, which I really despise.

For these and some other reasons I will buy Live this year. My 2k days are over.
Last edited by StyxTx on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:47 am, edited 6 times in total.
StyxTx

Postby Izzy Snow on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:36 am

StyxTx wrote:I decided to pre-order.

For one, I like the thought that my ratings do matter and I feel I control my player, not sucked into animations constantly like in 2k.

I always felt in 2k that when I got a badge I could no longer play that skill as good as I did before I had the badge. It also seemed like the more badges I had, the more loss of control over my player I had, doing weird crap like running halfway across the court to commit a foul.....when I was not even holding the controller, and getting sucked into animations more frequently. I got to the point I cringed when I got a new badge because I never set out to get any. I just felt my player played better without any badges.

Also in 2k, even though I had extremely high defensive ratings and most of the major defensive badges at gold or better, whatever that next level was, teams would still pick on me. I know this because I would always lead my team in opponents shots against, and by a big margin, opponents shots allowed, etc. One of my players was allowing 37% opponent shooting but I still led my team in shots against me per 36 minutes.

In the last version of Live, as my ratings got better, I saw my player get better and teams became more cautious about attacking my strengths. I'm confident it will be the same in this version. I didn't see any real improvement with my player in 2k as my ratings went up. The only difference I saw was that really good players on my team would suddenly not play anything like their real life counterparts.

I want a game where I can be a passing/defensive minded PG, as I was in real life. This will be the test. In 2k, you are forced to carry the team in scoring at some point, which is why my teammates would suddenly stop being the scoring stars they are IRL. I don't want to be the big scorer. As unbelievable as this may sound, I find shooting to be boring. IRL I always had fun helping my teammates score, plus I couldn't shoot for crap, but then I never worked on shooting. Anyway, that's how I'd like to play and I'm interested to see if Live is in the same state of mind as 2k, thinking we HAVE to be big scorers, or if I can be the type of player I want to be. To be honest, I don't even want to be a star, just a successful teammate on a winning team.

It just seems to me the IQ of Live is better than 2k. As I was playing the updated demo today, I saw defensive switches on picks. I was pretty impressed watching the defensive player in Live doing switches, paying good help defense, etc.

In 2k, a pick causes a traffic jam of players making it impossible for anyone to get out of it, especially my player, and if someone did, they went to defend the wrong player. In fact, most of the time defenders never switched off.

I know most people think 2k is so great, but in many ways I think it's inferior to Live when it comes to game play.

I also believe that all players play more like their real life counterparts than they do in 2k.

I like Live's way of upgrading players, not lumping a group of skills into categories. I feel having to work on improving individual skills creates a lot more diversity in players.

Oh, did I mention Live hasn't made a habit of releasing patch after patch causing the game to get worse and worse?

Also, live doesn't VC you to death. 2k is a money grabbing monster, which I really despise.

For these and some other reasons I will buy Live this year. My 2k days are over.

Nice testimonial for a person that's played both games with signifant time. Mind if I screenshot your comments and post it on Twitter? I agree with gameplay being better than 2K. 2K isn't terrible it's just that I prefer Live this year.
Izzy Snow

Postby StyxTx on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:49 am

Izzy Snow wrote:
Nice testimonial for a person that's played both games with signifant time. Mind if I screenshot your comments and post it on Twitter? I agree with gameplay being better than 2K. 2K isn't terrible it's just that I prefer Live this year.

As long as you don't mind the 2k fans calling you names and ridiculing you. :)
StyxTx

Postby [Q] on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:58 am

Yeah I dunno, there's something about Live that makes it fun. Can't put my finger on it. 2K feels like a chore, like a job. Especially grinding for VC. As an adult with responsibilities I don't have the time or patience to grind
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Izzy Snow on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:20 am

StyxTx wrote:
Izzy Snow wrote:

Well, the tweet including your comments has been quite a hit on Twitter (Y)

http://twitter.com/EpiCz_Izzy_Snow/status/906582023585898497
Izzy Snow

Postby Izzy Snow on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:22 am

[Q] wrote:Yeah I dunno, there's something about Live that makes it fun. Can't put my finger on it. 2K feels like a chore, like a job. Especially grinding for VC. As an adult with responsibilities I don't have the time or patience to grind

Not to mention the WNBA game plays smooth and (obviously) differently in a good way.
Izzy Snow

Postby StyxTx on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:19 am

[Q] wrote:Yeah I dunno, there's something about Live that makes it fun. Can't put my finger on it. 2K feels like a chore, like a job. Especially grinding for VC. As an adult with responsibilities I don't have the time or patience to grind

I agree. I can have fun with Live. I just find myself yelling at the screen or throwing my controller when I play 2k.
StyxTx

Postby StyxTx on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:27 am

Izzy Snow wrote:
StyxTx wrote:
Izzy Snow wrote:

Well, the tweet including your comments has been quite a hit on Twitter (Y)

http://twitter.com/EpiCz_Izzy_Snow/status/906582023585898497

That's pretty cool.

I played 2k 15, 16, & 17 and I never played 17 much after the 3rd patch. It was regressing with every patch. I thought it played ok when released. I played 2 seasons with the last version of Live, and even though I had my pissed off moments, they weren't as severe and not nearly as often as they were with 2k. I actually smashed one controller when I got totally fed up with 2k. I play games for fun, not to get pissed off and I can't really afford to be buying controllers all the time. lol
StyxTx

Postby mp3 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:57 pm

I've enjoyed using other teams in the demo I think it was just what I needed to restore my faith in buying the full game. I would never choose the Warriors of Cavs when playing so I guess that's why I couldn't get into it, watching the full game videos has helped a lot too seeing some of the new teams and the way they play.

There is some fine tuning still needed like blocks and contested layups but it's definitely more fun to play and I said the same about Live 16 I actually played more of that than 2k16 due to the fact that 2k felt stale and pretty much the same game as 2k14-2k15.

I will probably buy 2k18 but not at the release date, I think like the poster above said they OVER patch there game theses days I mean ADD missing players/updated courts etc but they messed around with the gameplay so much last year that a slider set that was a good fun competitive game would change dramatically with each patch.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Izzy Snow on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:00 am

mp3 wrote:I've enjoyed using other teams in the demo I think it was just what I needed to restore my faith in buying the full game. I would never choose the Warriors of Cavs when playing so I guess that's why I couldn't get into it, watching the full game videos has helped a lot too seeing some of the new teams and the way they play.

There is some fine tuning still needed like blocks and contested layups but it's definitely more fun to play and I said the same about Live 16 I actually played more of that than 2k16 due to the fact that 2k felt stale and pretty much the same game as 2k14-2k15.

I will probably buy 2k18 but not at the release date, I think like the poster above said they OVER patch there game theses days I mean ADD missing players/updated courts etc but they messed around with the gameplay so much last year that a slider set that was a good fun competitive game would change dramatically with each patch.

Yeah man it's best to wait for 2K for sale since like you said, they patch the game up so much.
Izzy Snow

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:35 am

Played Live for a good portion of the afternoon again.

I have now played both games a significant amount of time. I'd say I've played the Live Demo close to 25-30 hours, and I've played the full 2k MyCareer demo and numerous hours on 2KU.

My conclusion based on my experience: Live is a really good option for people who want a different experience and don't care about lack of modes, and lack of roster editing and creation. While 2K's offense is maybe the best it's ever been feel wise, and control wise (tied with 2K13), Lives defense seems to have the advantage. Players seem to not get lost as much, they are good at sticking with assignments but also helping. For those people who are interested in Live Run, Ultimate Team, Exhibition, or a one player Franchise mode (Dynasty), Live will be a solid option this year.

Next year, Live needs to really smooth out the feel of shots on the move, as well as the post game. If they can do that, and give us roster editing and a multi user dynasty, they will be in serious contention.

I'd love to see a spike in lives sales this year, so atleast they will have momentum going forward.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:37 am

The actual game plays better than the demo, a ton of people can testify to that

Demo plays nothing like this
phpBB [video]
ThaLiveKing

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:44 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:The actual game plays better than the demo, a ton of people can testify to that

Demo plays nothing like this
phpBB [video]

Ill try the full experience upon release. I'm excited for that.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby StyxTx on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:38 am

One thing I was having fun with today was passing the ball in ways I was never able to do, in either Live or 2K. I was making some pretty nifty passes. Looks pretty cool to me.

One was splitting the defenders in the paint getting the ball to a guy who broke and got inside for a beautiful dunk. Haven't gotten the alley-oop down just yet.

In previous versions of either game, that would be stolen. No such thing as splitting defenders. I was expecting it to get stolen.
StyxTx

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:20 pm

Just officially pre ordered the game, and signed up for EA Access. So the game was $35.99... not bad.

I'll be a busy guy the 15th.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live 18