SSD made a world of difference. Game play is now amazing.

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

SSD made a world of difference. Game play is now amazing.

Postby nextnba on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:38 pm

My CPU was decent to begin with so I didn't think an SSD drive will do much. CPU spec i5, 12 gb ram, 2 tb hard drive, GeForce GTX 750. But I decided to get an SSD drive (Samsung EVO 850 1tb) anyway and omg, it made a world of difference. Game play is now consistently smooth. I don't have break in speed anymore, no more break in animations, no break in AI, no CPU break in defense. Players are moving where they are supposed to and not all over the place anymore. I can't believe how nice the game play is now. I'm even seeing animations and moves I haven't seen before. The SSD cost me $300 but who would have thought that the shitty game play was due to a hard drive issue. Unbelievable!
nextnba

Re: SSD made a world of difference. Game play is now amazing.

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:42 am

That's awesome! However, with me it had nothing to do with that. It was the patches. When I revert back to pre patch gameplay, the game plays very well. I do not have a SSD.

I'd question how much of a difference that made with the gameplay, for the fact that it doesn't alter the exe, it makes loading faster though. I will say, my loading times are super fast with hardly any wait even without an SSD.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby nextnba on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:56 am

Before the SSD, my load was fine too. It's not any different with the SSD as this game loads pretty fast. But before the SSD, my game play would break often. Sometimes, the game goes in slow motion, ther times it will go really fast. Sometimes the player's speed break and the AI defense break. Sometimes, you players move like they stick to the ground, other times they are slipping everywhere. Also I would get a slow motion during jump shooting, free throws, and rebounds, and fast break. This sometimes cause players to move awkwardly and into each other. Now it's much improved.
nextnba

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:21 am

nextnba wrote:Before the SSD, my load was fine too. It's not any different with the SSD as this game loads pretty fast. But before the SSD, my game play would break often. Sometimes, the game goes in slow motion, ther times it will go really fast. Sometimes the player's speed break and the AI defense break. Sometimes, you players move like they stick to the ground, other times they are slipping everywhere. Also I would get a slow motion during jump shooting, free throws, and rebounds, and fast break. This sometimes cause players to move awkwardly and into each other. Now it's much improved.

Well I'm glad it worked for you! And I'm glad I don't have that problem lol
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby I Hate Mondays on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:14 am

Not trying to be a party pooper here man, but I strongly believe that is some placebo stuff going on here.
An SSD is basically for bigger packages of data to be transfered at the same time. When we strictly talk about games, that means you'd have better load times between the menu screen and some actual gameplay. You'd avoid some pop-ups. When we talk about open world games, the textures would load up faster when entering a new area of the game. Also, the distance view would load faster and it would give you the impression that some objects are actually there instead of getting the feeling that everything was blank and objects were immediately summoned on the map because of your character's arrival in that specific area.
(unluckily, we can't talk about that in NBA 2K games because the game is not open world and there is no distant landscape). Other than that, an SSD can't really improve a gaming experience. Sure, you can get like + 5-10 fps if you are lucky enough and other components don't bottleneck the process, but I don't see how an SSD can "move (players) where they are supposed to and not all over the place anymore". That's strictly AI logic/game mechanics. It goes the same for breaks in speed, CPU defense breaks and the other things you've mentioned.
A very lucky situation would be that somehow, the controls feel more responsive due to your upgrade and because of that you get a new feel for the game. But this situation happen for a handfull of games. I am not ditching the idea though.
I Hate Mondays

Postby nextnba on Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:23 pm

Now that I played more games with the SSD, it is a combination of placebo and improvements. When I upgraded the SSD, I also updated my video driver. Whenever I update my video driver, the game will play good and slower for an hour and then it starts to go faster and speed and everything else breaks. Is it somehow storing it and rendering back faster and it's what is creating the speed break? I also noticed that if I go into my Nvidia Control Panel and set it to "use my preference" and move the scale to quality, then the speed does become slow again. I only tested this for 5 min. It's possible that if I play on this mode longer, it will also adjust and the speed will become fast again. But what I did is switch it back to "let the 3D applicatin decide" and it's playing in normal speed again but I'm sure after a game, it will adjust and go fast again.

But like you said, the control and the game is much more responsive. When I press for a rebound, my players are going up for a rebound. Even if the speed break and my guy is sliding/slipping, I'm able to recover faster and get back to position. Even if CPU defense break and slide or move away for no reason, they do recover much faster. This makes the game more tolerable.

But I don't understand why not many people are complaining about the speed break. When the speed doesn't break, players feel weighted and they feel like they stick to the ground. You have to press the sprint button to get them to speed up. When the speed break, the players move fast. You can easily get around CPU and they move around feeling non weighted anymore. It's such a big difference that I'm surprised not more people are having this problem.
nextnba

Return to NBA 2K17