Pre-Release Gameplay Footage

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Re: Pre-Release Gameplay Footage

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:25 pm

EMan wrote:
I Hate Mondays wrote:What I've noticed in all of these videos, no single action shot/portrait was updated. I hope that's because this is some late beta version of the game and the game didn't go Gold yet. If they stick to the same pictures, 2K are officially lazier than a bag of chips and they should be ashamed.
The fact that they haven't changed a single pixel in the scoreboard is one thing. The moment you don't change the players pictures, I reckon most users will feel like the game is a slightly updated version of 2K17. The basic "Bruh that is 2K17.5 smh, Live winning it this year" comments will double their number - and their number is worse than in previous years from what I've noticed. Just an objective observation.

The absolutely brilliant thing about making and releasing a sports video game franchise year after year is that all a company needs to do really is update the rosters, slap a $40-60 price tag on it, and call it a day. There are MANY gullible people out there that will continue to pay full price for what amounts to roster work and both EA and 2K know this. The terms for those types of people are 'marks' or 'whales'. They're the same people who probably make very good use of microtransactions and DLC/skin purchases in other games.

But to insinuate that the games play the same, and they are only roster updates, is not accurate at all. NBA 2K17 plays very different from NBA 2K16, and 2K15 also plays different. They do not have the same feel (especially before patches). NBA 2K17 felt completely different to me when it was first released (and until December) than 2K16.

Not to mention that the new games usually add new features or modes. Like a new mycareer type, new teams (whether it be classic teams, or college teams for a mode, or high school teams), features like creating teams (with the ability to relocate, make jerseys, choose logo, input art work), changes to MyLeague features, etc.

NBA 2K11 had a totally different feel from 2K10, 2K12 eliminated a bunch of the animation issues (robotic movements) from NBA 2K11, NBA 2K13 introduced a completely new dribble system. I could go on and on.

Not only that, all the current players from NBA 2K17 had portrait changes from NBA 2K16, same with 2K15 to 2K16. I expect the same for NBA 2K18.

I'm not a gullible person. I buy every year, and I get excited about new features or modes, or a new feel. The amount of content we have with NBA 2K is absolutely insane, and the fact that we can mod it is just the icing on the cake.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:19 pm

Dommy73 wrote:I'd assume they're waiting for the league to provide photos with the new jerseys.

You know, the ones that haven't seen a single game yet.

I'd say so, too.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby I Hate Mondays on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:40 pm

Andrew wrote:
Dommy73 wrote:I'd assume they're waiting for the league to provide photos with the new jerseys.

You know, the ones that haven't seen a single game yet.

I'd say so, too.

I sure hope so. A later patch somewhere in November would not be such a bad idea. They would have the time to make some actionshots for every player.
I Hate Mondays

Postby zetsuboushta on Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:11 pm

Dee4Three wrote:Not only that, all the current players from NBA 2K17 had portrait changes from NBA 2K16, same with 2K15 to 2K16. I expect the same for NBA 2K18.

No, in case of portraits there were some repeats and so in 2K18, it's disappointing. Maybe 2K will fix it.
zetsuboushta

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:37 am

zetsuboushta wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:Not only that, all the current players from NBA 2K17 had portrait changes from NBA 2K16, same with 2K15 to 2K16. I expect the same for NBA 2K18.

No, in case of portraits there were some repeats and so in 2K18, it's disappointing. Maybe 2K will fix it.

I'd have to see proof of that. I go through the portraits every year for modding.

Either way, it's not just a roster update each year. That is a fact.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby zetsuboushta on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:39 am

Dee4Three wrote:
zetsuboushta wrote:I'd have to see proof of that. I go through the portraits every year for modding.

Embiid has identical in 2k16 and 2k17.
Robin Lopez and Eric Gordon didn't have one in 2k17.
Just examples.
2K doesn't patch it. Gordon is pretty good example, when he started to play very good last season 2K... Gave him MyTeam card. No portrait at all.

Retro-teams are more dissapointing, you should know it. I'm not talking about it.
zetsuboushta

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:46 am

zetsuboushta wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:
zetsuboushta wrote:I'd have to see proof of that. I go through the portraits every year for modding.

Embiid has identical in 2k16 and 2k17.
Robin Lopez and Eric Gordon didn't have one in 2k17.
Just examples.
2K doesn't patch it. Gordon is pretty good example, when he started to play very good last season 2K... Gave him MyTeam card. No portrait at all.

Retro-teams are more dissapointing, you should know it. I'm not talking about it.

Oh, I'm aware that it's not perfect. But my point was and is, it's not just a roster update. We get a lot of new content, and the gameplay is in fact different.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby zetsuboushta on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:50 am

Dee4Three wrote:Oh, I'm aware that it's not perfect. But my point was and is, it's not just a roster update. We get a lot of new content, and the gameplay is in fact different.

Yes, it's undeniable. But some kind of visual part should be present, in my opinion. 2K policy amazes me(unpleasantly) in this regard.
Even not "some kind", it totally should be polished. Generic faces and models instead of portraits seem just poor.
zetsuboushta

Postby Nick on Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:28 am

You all should know that, according to Da_Czar (2k gameplay dev), there will be a Day 1 patch that is coming out on release day, that isn't available on the demo or any of these gameplay videos.

He said that casual guys wont notice the changes but the more observant ones will. But Czar has been wishing that his Day 1 patch would come out for the demo because he prefers it that much more.
Something to keep in mind.
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:07 am

Nick wrote:You all should know that, according to Da_Czar (2k gameplay dev), there will be a Day 1 patch that is coming out on release day, that isn't available on the demo or any of these gameplay videos.

He said that casual guys wont notice the changes but the more observant ones will. But Czar has been wishing that his Day 1 patch would come out for the demo because he prefers it that much more.
Something to keep in mind.

You keep saying Demo, can you expand on that?

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:10 am

The Prelude, I'm guessing.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:12 am

Andrew wrote:The Prelude, I'm guessing.

I figured, just wanted to make sure.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Previous

Return to NBA 2K18