Neighborhood Preview, MyCAREER Story Notes (Game Informer)

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Neighborhood Preview, MyCAREER Story Notes (Game Informer)

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:13 pm

Matt Bertz of Game Informer has posted a preview of The Neighborhood, which also reveals some information about this year's MyCAREER story:

The past few years, MyCareer was primarily driven by a narrative that dictated the kinds of opportunities available to you. These stories achieved varying degrees of success, but the rigid structure sometimes felt at odds with the rest of the MyCareer experience. For NBA 2K18, Visual Concepts loosens up the structure to allow users to pursue whatever types of activities interest them most without being restricted by where the story is taking you. "It's definitely not like the progression of the Spike Lee story in NBA 2K16," says senior producer Ben Bishop. "That was a very set, linear story."

That's not to say NBA 2K18 abandons narrative altogether. During The Prelude demo coming September 8, you begin your journey to the NBA as DJ, a former blue chip baller whose hoops career stalled out as his interests turned toward music. But after his self-imposed sabbatical, he tries to jumpstart his basketball career by entering the Proving Ground, an amateur streetball event NBA scouts attend looking for diamonds in the rough. Perform well enough and you can earn a spot on a roster as an undrafted free agent.

Once you earn your way into the NBA, how your career unfolds is up to you. Want to skip the NBA games altogether in favor of ProAm and MyPark games? Go for it. Tired of dealing with your agent? Ignore endorsement opportunities until you are ready. The reworked phone system lets you check your messages or ignore them for a later date. This freeform approach means you never have to get punished for skipping team practice to hang out with another NBA pro.

Good news about the upgrade system and earning Badges, too:

For the past several years, 2K obfuscated how to obtain the badges for developing traits like corner shooting. Not anymore. NBA 2K18 lets you look at what you need to do to unlock or upgrade each of those badges at any time, and you contribute to that badge growth no matter if you are playing NBA games, MyPark games, or ProAm games. Best of all, 2K no longer groups standard attribute skills into buckets – as you progress you get to decide which skills to upgrade when like the good old days of NBA 2K13.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Neighborhood Preview, MyCAREER Story Notes (Game Informer)

Postby StyxTx on Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:32 am

LOL. So they are basically turning it into a sports version of the Sims.
StyxTx

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:47 am

So far looks good with few concerns I've already voiced elsewhere which are more about the technical details and unnecessary walking around. And if those are my biggest fears I can live with that.

And I of course fully expect to see racist tattoos on people just walking around.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:13 am

StyxTx wrote:LOL. So they are basically turning it into a sports version of the Sims.

More GTA Online.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby KyotoCarl on Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:35 am

I think this is the weakest MyCareer story yet. I don't want to be a dude who "tried his hand in music" and then decided to play basketball. They had it right a few years back with the Summer League and if you weren't good enough you had to earn your way through the D-League. That made me feel like a basketball player. They should have expanded on that. Integrating College is a great way too.

I know the debate was that alot of people just wanted to start in the NBA without the hassle before. Fine, give the option to start at the draft. For us who want a more realistic MyCareer, expand on the college idea. Then get us into the draft and the Summer League and if we suck, put us in the D-league.
KyotoCarl

Postby PeacemanNOT on Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:46 am

I personally don't mind them abandoning the high school/college story arch, but they're replacing it with this?

What's with the cheesy/cringey storylines they keep making. I'm a DJ that failed at trying my hand.... why? These forced storylines are getting ridiculous, just make it simple so we don't have these problems. Make me a street baller that failed to make the NBA and had to make his way up, that's it.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby TGsoGood on Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:58 am

I still think they should have added female ballers to the neighborhood portion, even if they were just bots. I'm just excited to mod the entire neighborhool lol.
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:46 am

KyotoCarl wrote:I think this is the weakest MyCareer story yet. I don't want to be a dude who "tried his hand in music" and then decided to play basketball. They had it right a few years back with the Summer League and if you weren't good enough you had to earn your way through the D-League. That made me feel like a basketball player. They should have expanded on that. Integrating College is a great way too.

I know the debate was that alot of people just wanted to start in the NBA without the hassle before. Fine, give the option to start at the draft. For us who want a more realistic MyCareer, expand on the college idea. Then get us into the draft and the Summer League and if we suck, put us in the D-league.

I agree it's kind of corny, but on the bright side, it does sound like it might be the least intrusive story yet, so it's possibly good news on that front. Expanding on the college aspect would've been nice, but I'd say they're a bit limited by the number of colleges they can actually include, and as you noted, some people do want to get to the NBA portion of the story and career quicker as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:10 am

What would have been nice is an option to play with a story line or not. This stuff in this version has convinced me not to buy. Whatever happened to the days when a sports game just let you play the sport and that was it? I have a life already, I don't want or need a simlife.
StyxTx

Postby TGsoGood on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:38 am

StyxTx wrote:What would have been nice is an option to play with a story line or not. This stuff in this version has convinced me not to buy. Whatever happened to the days when a sports game just let you play the sport and that was it? I have a life already, I don't want or need a simlife.

I think have an option to have a story line would be nice. Or they could just bring back creating a legend mode, which had no story line and you could play with any one in the game.
They can't get rid of the story line aspect because alot of casual fans play for the story. Also many people watch other people play through the story on youtube (which is free advertisement for 2K).

The other thing to consider is that people of all ages play this game. While you may have a life already outside of the game, many young kids get to live out a fantasy by playing through the story mode. It's not just kids actually. Most of the youtubers who create MyPlayers each year are adult males.

For me I just can't wait to mod all the characters and then re-watch the cutscenes with new environments and players.
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Issy on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:13 am

KyotoCarl wrote:I think this is the weakest MyCareer story yet. I don't want to be a dude who "tried his hand in music" and then decided to play basketball. They had it right a few years back with the Summer League and if you weren't good enough you had to earn your way through the D-League. That made me feel like a basketball player. They should have expanded on that. Integrating College is a great way too.

+1
The progression was linear and it was fun!
Also I do not understand why they never did not use the euroleague in the mycareer, they had the license, why not use it.
School > NCAA/Euroleague > Pre draft Workout > Draft > Summer League > Nba/G-league
It will be so immersive.

Now you started directly to the NBA with the team that your choose yourself, so realistic... :roll: and even if you play bad (with a 55ovr), you still are the star of the team.
Issy

Postby PeacemanNOT on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:54 am

Oh jesus christ.... this is the most corniest thing I have ever seen. Why 2K....

SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY

phpBB [video]
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby voidjointx on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:33 pm

Why they gotta bring Lil' Tasty smh
Donations Are Appreciated

https://www.patreon.com/voidjoint
voidjointx

Postby erudain on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:14 pm

So I take it again this year you'll need to be online 24/07 to access to every feature in the game, right?
Actually it could be worse this year with MyCareer directly not even working offline
erudain

Postby ThePointForward on Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:30 am

The good news is that you can actually pick what team you'll go to after the intro part.

Also, it's not just about combination of two archetypes, but also about which is primary and which is secondary. Same two skills, but different primary and secondary produce different attribute caps, badge totals and badge caps.
On the player creation screen the 9th step is where the player is from (college/country) and the 10th step is just confirmation screen.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:26 am

I actually like the idea of being able to pick your team in MyCAREER. Rising Star in NBA Live had a nifty feature where you could specify your desired team, and if you didn't happen to get drafted by them, it would engineer a Draft day trade to get you there. Completing the trade was completely optional, so you could either accept the result of the Draft, or make sure you went to your favourite team.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:29 am

From the videos it seems you'll just get noticed by NBA scout of your choosing and then things lift off from there.

Also unlike in 2K15 it seems player can absolutely suck and it will still progress.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:45 am

On one hand, I like the idea of having a "game over" scenario where you have to start over and do better, but with the connected experience, it's probably better if you can progress through that early story quickly, and then get stuck into MyCAREER, The Playground, or 2K Pro-Am (or some combination of the three).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:53 am

Which reminds me, apparently you can skip the Prelude stuff, although it did say something about default player so I have no idea if you can set archetypes etc in that scenario or not.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby ThePointForward on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:00 pm

OK, turns out the badges from the list are indeed "key" badges. The rest are "secondary". I have no idea what it means, perhaps key badges are easier to get?
Something I have noticed is that Key badges are not only the best ones - there are some silver ones even though the combination of skills has more than 5 gold badges available.

Cosmetics are unsurprisingly locked behind VC, but also lots of them are locked behind OVR level.

You can also change your shoes and socks before the game in the locker room.
Apparently the loading is happening during pre-game shootaround. So that's the "no loading".

Saw some feedback from the coach during half-time etc - it was written, so I guess that is good and the overall feel was less waiting. Oh and the dude in the video didn't even play in his first game (he did really bad in the Prelude part).

The guy also upgraded his player as much as he could (some dual archetype) and it went up to OVR 85 and cost around 190K VC. After that you'll have to unlock more attribute caps - which doesn't seem to be exclusively by training this year.

Finally the directly upgradable categories are

• Layups
  • Dunks
  • Mid Range
  • 3PT
  • Ball Handling
  • Passing
  • Post Offense
  • Rebounding
  • Steals
  • Blocks
  • Vertical
  • Lateral Quickness
  • Speed
  • Acceleration
  • Strength
  • Stamina

So some stuff (especially the physical stuff) is more broken down. That said, other stuff is missing and I assume you'll have to work for it in minigames (like in 2K17 you improved free throw shooting in Team practices).
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby CarolusXCI on Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:34 am

PeacemanNOT wrote:Oh jesus christ.... this is the most corniest thing I have ever seen. Why 2K....

SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY

phpBB [video]

Those cutscenes are so annoying.
CarolusXCI

Postby ThePointForward on Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:37 am

Last year they were skippable I think (maybe after you watched them at least one time?). Then again, I found discussion with Justice on "and then what?" relatively good.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Return to NBA 2K18