189 MyPLAYER Archetypes in NBA 2K18

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

189 MyPLAYER Archetypes in NBA 2K18

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:30 pm

Operation Sports has the breakdown: http://www.operationsports.com/nba-2k18 ... ty-choose/

Summary from Zach Timmerman on Twitter:

Each archetype (pure or hybrid) has badge "caps". You can get some bronze, some silver, some gold, etc, all determined by your archetype.

There are a total of 189 different archetypes to choose from when you consider pures, hybrids and the 5 standard positions

Really good news. Archetypes were too restrictive in NBA 2K17, and while they were meant to cut down on cheesy builds and min-maxing, that still happened with a couple of the most popular Archetypes anyway. They didn't really reflect some of the diverse skillsets of comparable real NBA players, either. Using my preferred Playmaker Archetype as an example once again, its shooting ratings were capped a bit too low, which doesn't reflect the abilities of many great playmakers through NBA history who have also been fine shooters. Hybrid Archetypes strike me as a great idea, and while I wouldn't be surprised if there's still a little bit of cheesiness and imbalance, I'm optimistic that it'll help balance things out at least a little.

I also like the idea of having a more diverse set of Badges, with varying levels that can be attained. Again, it's going to be more in line with the diverse skillsets and hybrid styles/types that we see with real NBA players in the game.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: 189 MyPLAYER Archetypes in NBA 2K18

Postby Arcane on Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:43 pm

I agree that this new system is a lot more varied and yes even takes a page out of Live 18's system with primary and secondary skill sets and that now its just a matter of trying to find what archetype suits you best, again with Live 18 I'm glad it allows you to try out different ones without it being a huge grind in the demo so you can best find the play style you like I just hope we can do the same in the prelude some trial and error before the full retail game releases though a 1 week demo does make it harder to do that
Arcane
The NLSC's Jim Jefferies
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThePointForward on Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:42 pm

Looks like you can get HoF badge if that badge is major for both archetypes you selected.

Also they seem to be varying per position - PG with post-up playstyle had some badges only silver.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Sauru on Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:20 am

so again i have not played a 2k game in several years so i am curious about how badges work and the significance of them. i see they have bronze/silver/gold/hof but what does that actually mean? would any archetype that cannot get a hof badge be "gimped" so to speak? do the badges actually do anything or are they just a different name for achievements?
Sauru

Postby ThePointForward on Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:01 am

Sauru wrote:so again i have not played a 2k game in several years so i am curious about how badges work and the significance of them. i see they have bronze/silver/gold/hof but what does that actually mean? would any archetype that cannot get a hof badge be "gimped" so to speak? do the badges actually do anything or are they just a different name for achievements?

Badges improve certain skills even further than standard rating. Badges cover broad stuff like "doesn't get cold too often" or specific stuff like "very proficient at euro step". For latter it's because two guards might have same rating for layups, but Dwyane Wade is known for his Euro step.

Quality of badge says how much more impact it has.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Sauru on Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:32 am

so would the jump from gold to hero badge be significant enough where making sure the combo you picked had at least 1 or more hero badge?

thanks for the help by the way.i appreciate it
Sauru

Postby ThePointForward on Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:43 am

Well last year some people did some testing and if the percentages kinda hold this year I'd say that HoF badge is worth it if it's for something you intend to do most of the time.
Some badges are more effective - like Lockdown Defender which reduces opposing shooters success rate a lot - although the difference between Gold and HoF wasn't that huge, difference between Bronze and none was a lot bigger.
Or Posterizer badge - there was a nice difference in the ability to finish the dunk over a defender each badge. But main difference was that with higher level badge the player actually gets into posterizing animation much more often.

As far as the players go, Steph Curry had HoF badge for extra long range threes. LeBron had HoF badge for chasedown blocks.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Sauru on Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:12 am

it seems weird to me that there would not be at least 1 hof badge for each combo or how many combo's have no hof badges but if you reverse primary and secondary suddenly you can get hof badges. example being 3pt/shot creator = 0 hof badges but shot creator/3pt = 3hof badges
Sauru

Postby StyxTx on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:36 am

It may just be me but I've noticed once I get a badge for something I become less effective at it. I actually cringe when I see a badge pop up.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:17 pm

Sauru wrote:so would the jump from gold to hero badge be significant enough where making sure the combo you picked had at least 1 or more hero badge?

Upgrading the Playmaker Badges in NBA 2k17 like Dimer certainly helped in making pinpoint passes and giving a slight boost to everyone's shooting percentages in 2K Pro-Am. The Playmaker Pro/Grand Badge allows for some borderline cheesy thread-the-needle passes, too. I found it was worth the grind, but it was quite a grind!
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby I Hate Mondays on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:18 pm

Has anyone posted this: https://www.icloud.com/numbers/05BDaz06 ... %26_Badges ? This is what you need before you build your player.
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:32 pm

Good looking out there. (Y)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:00 pm

Doesn't seem to cover all available combinations yet.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:18 pm

Still reasonably comprehensive for the moment, and gives us an idea of how it'll work.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:49 am

Definitely. Right now I'm looking at SF Defensive + Driving and Finishing. But I'd like to see the list to have all the combinations and all the badges listed, not just the first 5. And some kind of sorting.

Might as well put some time into a Google Drive document to make it happen after the release, iCloud looks clumsy.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Return to NBA 2K18