Not holding my breath about anti-cheat system for the PC

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Not holding my breath about anti-cheat system for the PC

Postby JWL3 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:52 am

I've been on 2K since they started making the PC version. And the online system has been forever plagued with hacks and cheats. People who either blatantly or secretly boost their characters to 99 in everything and Hall of Fame badges. I've been knocked down by 5 ft tall point guards setting brick wall picks, been outrun by 7'3" centers. It is absolutely pathetic and every single year is the sole source of my frustration in 2k.

I am not holding my breath that they're going to do anything to stop this, so for the first time since NBA Showdown 94 on SNES, I'm playing a bball game on console. It's really gonna suck; I built a high-end pc (34" widescreen 21:9 monitor, 6700k, 1070 GTX) exclusively to play NBA2K and the damned hackers are causing me to spend $200 on an Xbox One and another $10 (over the PC version) for the console game.
JWL3

Re: Not holding my breath about anti-cheat system for the PC

Postby JWL3 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:58 am

What makes scumbags cheat online? I mean seriously. If you beat someone only because you break the rules to max out your character, what did you accomplish? It's the same every possession: we run down the floor, set picks, backdoor cuts, ball movement, score a nice 2 or 3. They run down the floor full speed, and jack up a half court bank shot 3 within 4 seconds of the shotclock that goes in even if semi-challenged. Our margin of error is virtually none because if we mess up an offensive possession and cannot match their ridiculous scoring output, we lose.
JWL3

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:05 pm

I heard there was a system in place that was supposed to reset abilities and so forth after hacks, but from your experiences, it would seem that people have found ways around it.

When it comes to the people who cheat online, I think they're the sort of folks who care about winning but not competition, if that makes sense. They're like the people who swipe money from the bank and try to make up a bunch of BS house rules in Monopoly, then flip the board with a pout when they get called out on it. They're the kind of people who believe that rules don't apply to them and that the end always justifies the means, even though the point of games and sports is to win while adhering to certain rules and conditions. That's where the fun and the challenge is, after all. Oddly enough, they tend to get very upset when other people try to cheat or take advantage of the system.

The funny thing is that you see a lot of people justify hacking online by saying that they paid for the game, and therefore they can enjoy it however they wish. Aside from violating terms of service - to say nothing of sportsmanship - that ignores the fact that people who want to play fair also paid for the game, and by that logic, are just as entitled to enjoy it however they wish. Dancing the line of turning this into a political discussion, it's kind of like when people complain about their freedom of speech supposedly being threatened, while also shutting down people on the other side of the argument who are similarly exercising their freedom of speech. "I have freedom of speech!" is not a compelling argument for your point of view, and "I paid for the game!" is not a compelling argument as to why you should be able to dictate the terms of a multiplayer experience.

The other good one is "you take the game too seriously!", which is a tad hypocritical when they're obviously so concerned about beating other people at the game that they hack it in order to avoid losing. It's the old "You're a geek for liking and caring about this, even though I clearly like and care about it too" argument. That one's popular across all media. "It's just a game, relax...meanwhile, winning is very important to me, and I'm going to cheat to make sure that happens."

In bygone days, when you'd game with people in front of the same monitor or TV, it was a bit harder to be that person without consequence. They were the people you'd stop hanging out with, or at least playing games with, because people recognised it as a jerk move. That's harder to do online, because they'll keep popping up, and they can thumb their nose at other people from a distance without the fear of becoming that person in the group that no one likes and wants to have anything to do with anymore. Players getting banned for hacking is supposed to be the modern equivalent of that intervention and exclusion, but it doesn't seem like it's happening often enough, or at least, there are still too many loopholes.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JWL3 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:00 pm

Andrew wrote:I heard there was a system in place that was supposed to reset abilities and so forth after hacks, but from your experiences, it would seem that people have found ways around it.

When it comes to the people who cheat online, I think they're the sort of folks who care about winning but not competition, if that makes sense. They're like the people who swipe money from the bank and try to make up a bunch of BS house rules in Monopoly, then flip the board with a pout when they get called out on it. They're the kind of people who believe that rules don't apply to them and that the end always justifies the means, even though the point of games and sports is to win while adhering to certain rules and conditions. That's where the fun and the challenge is, after all. Oddly enough, they tend to get very upset when other people try to cheat or take advantage of the system.

The funny thing is that you see a lot of people justify hacking online by saying that they paid for the game, and therefore they can enjoy it however they wish. Aside from violating terms of service - to say nothing of sportsmanship - that ignores the fact that people who want to play fair also paid for the game, and by that logic, are just as entitled to enjoy it however they wish. Dancing the line of turning this into a political discussion, it's kind of like when people complain about their freedom of speech supposedly being threatened, while also shutting down people on the other side of the argument who are similarly exercising their freedom of speech. "I have freedom of speech!" is not a compelling argument for your point of view, and "I paid for the game!" is not a compelling argument as to why you should be able to dictate the terms of a multiplayer experience.

The other good one is "you take the game too seriously!", which is a tad hypocritical when they're obviously so concerned about beating other people at the game that they hack it in order to avoid losing. It's the old "You're a geek for liking and caring about this, even though I clearly like and care about it too" argument. That one's popular across all media. "It's just a game, relax...meanwhile, winning is very important to me, and I'm going to cheat to make sure that happens."

In bygone days, when you'd game with people in front of the same monitor or TV, it was a bit harder to be that person with consequence. They were the people you'd stop hanging out with, or at least playing games with, because people recognised it as a jerk move. That's harder to do online, because they'll keep popping up, and they can thumb their nose at other people from a distance without the fear of becoming that person in the group that no one likes and wants to have anything to do with anymore. Players getting banned for hacking is supposed to be the modern equivalent of that intervention and exclusion, but it doesn't seem like it's happening often enough, or at least, there are still too many loopholes.

Andrew, I think you summed up every archetype of cheater perfectly. I've heard so many of those excuses; I've sort of become the self-appointed sheriff of anti-cheating in PC. My nickname is Why-u-hack-cuz-u-suck? I have tattoos that say "turn off the hacks you weak as' p' b's" and "Going to XBOX 2K18, bleep U cheaters." And I walk around mypark insulting cheaters with the insult animations. I also friend these scum on steam just to call them out and tell them to stop cheating.

And the funniest thing is, I've encountered every one of the excuses you mentioned:

1) Everyone else is cheating
2) Why are you taking it so seriously?
3) Why don't you join us in cheating?
4) I'm not cheating (even when it's so obvious)

I don't know if the devs realize how bad it is. We're not talking about something even like glitching your way to a 99 player. Cheat Engine basically is a memory resident program that they start along with NBA 2k and it edits the memory addresses of the locations that determine the ratings of the player. As long as CE is running in the background, they can edit every aspect of their character including looks, badges, ratings, etc. Most cheats go balls out with 99 everything, every single Hall of Fame badge, maxed height and wingspan. The more subtle ones who try to hide only edit the settings that no one notices. Like on ball defense, ball handling, intangibles, hustle, etc. It really creates an environment where everyone doubts the other person. I've been called a cheater because I win 71% of my games. It's a toxic environment.
JWL3

Postby Slim5050 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:32 pm

I've had enough. Not buying it this year unless there is a real anti-cheat system in place. What's the point of all the features when you go to park and see people that hack their attributes, got all the badges that they aren't even supposed to have, bigs with 99 speed etc.
Slim5050

Postby StyxTx on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:34 pm

I have never played on-line, and never plan to. But it seems to me that if I did, I would stop if there was so much cheating going on. Obviously, 2k is not going to do anything about it that actually accomplishes anything. They haven't so far, anyway. Maybe the way to get them to do something of substance is for non-cheaters just to stop playing it until something is done. But that won't happen either, cheating will continue, and non-cheaters will keep on complaining.

The part I don't like is the fact when 2k does try to implement stuff it bleeds over into the off-line game and ruins it completely. I am not buying it this year for that reason.
StyxTx

Postby ThePointForward on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:53 pm

For starters I would like if 2K implemented an extremely simple check on auction house for MyTeam. Simple price sanity check - if user is trying to put up an item with starting prices higher than the limit, just put them on minimum.

Absence of a simple check like this is why PC market gets hyperinflated.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby TGsoGood on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:34 am

Assuming players will hack their ratings again this year, does anyone in this thread plan to form communities to find players who all want to play online without cheating?

Last year I started a thread to promote players who played fairly and also were fun team mates for online play. The thread was not very popular at all.
NLSC 2K17 Community and Team Up thread -http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=224&t=102221
I am not starting that thread this year because it appears to be pointless. ( I could be wrong)

I was very optimistic about playing PC online in 2K17 but after 1 month the I noticed people would not even come and team up even though they requested to play on my Pro-AM team. Here is a quote from OCt 5, 2016 that I posted:
"I may give up on trying to have a fun online experience in the PC community. I may just go back to making mods.
I have found only about 4 guys to consistently have fun with online but for some reason we sometimes get kicked out of matches."

Honestly I just feel like the PC community sucks for NBA 2K. Even the players who don't cheat. It has been MY experience that people don't like to organize their efforts even when they have a meet a few friends who want to play online without cheating.

I mean you may be able to have some fun once or twice every few weeks, but outside of the 1st week or two I find it hard to have good experiences online in this game .
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby M2KGA85 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:10 pm

TGsoGood wrote:Assuming players will hack their ratings again this year, does anyone in this thread plan to form communities to find players who all want to play online without cheating?

Last year I started a thread to promote players who played fairly and also were fun team mates for online play. The thread was not very popular at all.
NLSC 2K17 Community and Team Up thread -http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=224&t=102221
I am not starting that thread this year because it appears to be pointless. ( I could be wrong)

I was very optimistic about playing PC online in 2K17 but after 1 month the I noticed people would not even come and team up even though they requested to play on my Pro-AM team. Here is a quote from OCt 5, 2016 that I posted:
"I may give up on trying to have a fun online experience in the PC community. I may just go back to making mods.
I have found only about 4 guys to consistently have fun with online but for some reason we sometimes get kicked out of matches."

Honestly I just feel like the PC community sucks for NBA 2K. Even the players who don't cheat. It has been MY experience that people don't like to organize their efforts even when they have a meet a few friends who want to play online without cheating.

I mean you may be able to have some fun once or twice every few weeks, but outside of the 1st week or two I find it hard to have good experiences online in this game .

I'm willing to play in the community. As long hacking as is the only restriction. I've had some groups that that try to restrict too many things, and it takes the fun out of playing.
M2KGA85

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:17 pm

TGsoGood wrote:Assuming players will hack their ratings again this year, does anyone in this thread plan to form communities to find players who all want to play online without cheating?

This makes me sad, but I never play online... maybe if I find time this year I will venture into online 2K. If I do, you will be the first person I contact.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby JWL3 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:19 am

TGsoGood wrote:

I think the primary issue is that pro am takes forever to set up. Even when I manage to get a bunch of people together, it takes on average 45 minutes to get people off their other modes of 2k17 into pro am, squad up, and go into pro-am mode. I think you'll have a much more fun experience going to console where there are so many more pro am players.
JWL3

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:38 am

Definitely very few problems getting games of 2K Pro-Am on PS4, unless it was late at night.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K18