NBA 2K18 - Run The Neighborhood (MyCareer)

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

NBA 2K18 - Run The Neighborhood (MyCareer)

Postby TBM on Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:19 am

phpBB [video]
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Re: NBA 2K18 - Run The Neighborhood (MyCareer)

Postby zzcoolj21 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:22 am

Jao's wet dream has become a reality.

zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby PeacemanNOT on Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:33 am

A bit overhyped.... but cool nonetheless.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby big-shot-ROB on Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:08 am

It is cool, and I like the game becoming more social. But if this is suppose to be the triggering point for people to play MyCareer, meh.
big-shot-ROB
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Postby endnotedeath on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:48 am

Nba 2k GTA like that's nice and that will open a lot of possibility maybe to make the first sports video game in open world
phpBB [video]
endnotedeath

Postby JEDL on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:15 am

To be honest I'm not too keen on this although I'm not too sure if this is tied closely to MyCareer or just a separate thing we can skip or overlook. I mean if it is an integral part of MyCareer then I'm never playing this mode. Wanna try out some shirts to show off your "swag"? Lets have you run down 20 seconds to the closest store! Want a specific fade haircut instead of the one you currently have but want it now? Too bad! Oh and remember the gym sessions in last year's MyCareer? You can now do it with other players around! Oh and look, an arcade! Let's get the highest score! Revolutionary!

I mean I was just so tired of unskippable cutscenes, unsimmable games without pissing off everyone, and other unnecessary features just to give this mode some "fluff" from last year. And now they're adding more hurdles for those who just want to play ball. I absolutely hate those people saying "this mode is the shit" or "2K just killed Live with this" and just generally overhyping this crap. But yeah gotta appeal to the public masses.
JEDL
LuDirk Doncitzki

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:26 pm

Though everything's combined, it does sound like you can either stick with the mode of play you prefer (MyCAREER, MyPARK, or 2K Pro-Am), or play a combination of the three, all in the one connected setting. Cool idea.

I like the sound of being able to level up your player no matter which mode you choose to play. That was obviously an issue in previous games. You had to grind in MyCAREER to earn a majority of the Badges and level up your player faster (outside of microtransactions, but even then you were capped at 88 Overall and had to earn extra upgrade levels through Doin' Work, which was a good approach in my opinion). I enjoyed MyCAREER so that wasn't necessarily a bad thing for me, but it was a shame that apart from earning MyPARK-specific Badges and earning a paltry amount of VC, you couldn't upgrade your player by spending a lot of time in MyPARK or 2K Pro-Am. It sounds like that won't be the case this year, which would be great news. Whichever mode you choose, you'll be earning upgrades from the sounds of things. Good stuff.

I just hope there isn't a Neighborhood Rep system that locks you out of some of the cool features (like customisation in 2K Pro-Am) until you've done a lot grinding to level it up. I don't mind if those goals are fairly easily attainable and consistent. Reaching the Elite tier in NBA 2K17's 2K Pro-Am seemed very random, and when questioned as to how many games you had to play/win, or what your winning percentage needed to be - because it really seemed to vary - all 2K could do was shrug. That's not a good enough answer when you're asking what the specific goal and qualifications are.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:42 pm

i dont get it. is this the multiplayer version of mycareer or can this shit be done in single player mode?
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:52 pm

It encompasses both the single player and multiplayer experiences. You can stick to whatever you'd prefer within the mode, or play all three (street/pickup basketball, 2K Pro-Am, or MyCAREER).
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Murat on Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:53 pm

Some nice features, indeed. Hope that there doesn't exist a crap load of cutscenes.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby CarolusXCI on Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:07 pm

I hope those players are squatting to proper depth (below parallel) in the gym.
CarolusXCI

Postby ThePointForward on Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:34 pm

OK, I wanted to chew on this for a bit...

I'm not as thrilled as many others (especially on reddit).

Will we have to load into that world after every MyCareer game? Do I have to walk around each time I want customize my character?

No word on servers, which is worrying.

On the plus side, it seems that everything should be achievable in any of the three ways (career, park, pro-am). That is good.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:12 pm

I'm afraid that 2K worked very hard on this mode, and not really on the gameplay :roll:
I don't give a **** about myplayer/career/park/gta2K
2K should perhaps release 2 games because expectations are not the same when you read all the comments.
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:15 pm

Dommy73 wrote:OK, I wanted to chew on this for a bit...

I'm not as thrilled as many others (especially on reddit).

Will we have to load into that world after every MyCareer game? Do I have to walk around each time I want customize my character?

No word on servers, which is worrying.

On the plus side, it seems that everything should be achievable in any of the three ways (career, park, pro-am). That is good.

There is something to be said for the simplicity of menus, I agree. It also seems that a lot of things like hairstyles are going to be behind VC paywalls, which is something 2K are being a little quiet about.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:21 pm

Yeah, I fully expect to get standard set of haircuts and anything new will be for VC. After all on one of the screenshots there are hairstyles with "Add To Cart" prompt.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Nick on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:22 pm

By 2k19 you'll be able to buy guns and get arrested
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:07 pm

Z.Bo simulator :lol:
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:14 am

Nick wrote:By 2k19 you'll be able to buy guns and get arrested

If you're going to go the GTA Online route, you've got to go all the way.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby TheBlackNerdyGamer on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:27 am

This is cool and all but I just want an offline option for Mycareer as well....
TheBlackNerdyGamer

Postby Sauru on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:59 am

Andrew wrote:It encompasses both the single player and multiplayer experiences. You can stick to whatever you'd prefer within the mode, or play all three (street/pickup basketball, 2K Pro-Am, or MyCAREER).

so basically i wont get to do everything i saw in the video if i stick to single player?

off topic but the rosters, is it correct to assume the recent trades will not be in the game at launch?
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:50 am

2K Pro-Am and MyPARK will be online as always, but you can wander the Neighborhood.

I imagine there will be some roster inaccuracies at launch, with the first official roster coming close to opening night.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:01 am

Reminds me of NBA Ballers: Phenom, which had a sandbox level. This should be a lot better. Hopefully it's not annoying like the Doin' Work meter.
Lamrock

Postby burnshroom on Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:06 am

As always when making a game of this magnitude and for a widespread audience, there is no way to please everyone.

They did address some concerns I have seen posted in regards to the ability to improve in more than just the one mode.

As far as "The Neighborhood" goes, I will reserve judgement til it releases. My one concern is that this will be an always on feature even in single player... that you will have to traverse the online neighborhood then move to a single player "instance" when doing solo offline stuff. But everything is just assumptions and conjecture until we get our hands on it.

Could be the next coming of sliced bread.

Disclaimer: I spent all of 15 minutes in 2k17. And I am ashamed. Gave all my time and money to Madden 17. Gonna go cold turkey from Madden soon. MUT was addictive for me last year.
burnshroom

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:45 am

burnshroom wrote:As far as "The Neighborhood" goes, I will reserve judgement til it releases. My one concern is that this will be an always on feature even in single player... that you will have to traverse the online neighborhood then move to a single player "instance" when doing solo offline stuff. But everything is just assumptions and conjecture until we get our hands on it.

Yeah, that's something we need some clarification on at this point. As revolutionary as an open world approach may feel, there's something to be said for menus, and being able to proceed directly to where you want to go without having to wait for an environment to load, and then traverse it.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:22 am

Goddamnit; everytime Live implements some minuscule improvement, 2K has to blow them out of the water.
[Hyperize]

Next

Return to NBA 2K18