Boston Celtics Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Boston Celtics Thread

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:24 pm

It's a one day contract. It doesn't impact them at all in the long run.

Technically, he will retire a Celtic, because the signing is still official. It may seem silly, but I think it's an appropriate ceremonial gesture. They came to a parting of the ways because they were rebuilding and he wasn't done playing, but he was always going to be remembered as a Celtic. Granted, I think a homecoming like there was with KG in Minnesota is a better scenario, and I suppose you could say that's a more "legitimate" way of ending your career back with a team, but I have no problem with it. It's a reconciliatory gesture as much as anything, something that gives the people involved a sense of closure that they wanted. Where's the harm?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:48 am

NovU wrote:Ungrateful bastards. Ray was a major reason they won a ship, perhaps the most important part in their run.

of course ray was a big part of the celtics championship but it no way was he the most important part however the fans did not break the relationship, he did. if that bitch wants loyalty he needs to give it.
Sauru

Postby air gordon on Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:37 am

Sauru wrote:pretty sure bradley is gone anyway next season and we aint winning it all this year so i would trade bradley and keep the young guys. then again i am still of the mind set to trade thomas instead of paying him so what do i know

Sauru wrote:then again i am still of the mind set to trade thomas instead of paying him so what do i know

Perhaps IT won't get the brinks truck of $ he's asking for?

Sorry for digging this one up btw. Dunc'd podcast did an off season grade pod recently and surprisingly ainge was given a C.....

IT continues to have terrific seasons but will the market create the max he wants? Especially when you consider his size, playing style, and age. Maybe he has some leverage since the Celtics drafted Tate instead of fultz but smart is still around
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:57 am

I'm hurting about Thomas. But..

Crowder being trades means more time on the floor for Tatum, which I am happy about. I was worried about him riding a little too much pine.

I like Irving, just loved IT.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:11 pm

so who plays the small ball 4 spot that crowder excelled at? especially on defense? maybe more PT for marcus morris or even Semi? tatum would get eaten up on defense playing 4
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Sauru on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:57 pm

this is one of those deals where i feel both teams win, at least for this season. come next season we will know who won the deal based on what brooklyn does this season. this is also good for kyrie, perfect fit for him imo. outside of the draft pick i dont really about what we gave away. i have been praying they would trade thomas instead of just letting him walk or worse yet paying him. yeah i liked crowder but i aint gonna cry about losing him either. only way i hate this deal is if we do not resign kyrie or if the brooklyn pick is a top 3 pick which is very possible.

something i find funny is how everyone was bitching because ainge didnt want to trade away a pick and then they bitch when he does. having kyrie + hayward is better than having butler + thomas. good chance we still pull a top 5 pick in the next draft anyway. now if horford could just stop being such a bitch
Sauru

Postby Jackal on Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:07 pm

Sauru wrote:now if horford could just stop being such a bitch

Hornets trade Howard for Horford at trade deadline confirmed.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:32 am

Sauru wrote:outside of the draft pick i dont really about what we gave away. i have been praying they would trade thomas instead of just letting him walk or worse yet paying him. yeah i liked crowder but i aint gonna cry about losing him either. only way i hate this deal is if we do not resign kyrie or if the brooklyn pick is a top 3 pick which is very possible.

something i find funny is how everyone was bitching because ainge didnt want to trade away a pick and then they bitch when he does. having kyrie + hayward is better than having butler + thomas. good chance we still pull a top 5 pick in the next draft anyway. now if horford could just stop being such a bitch
question is who will have the bigger Homer post. Sauru or dee
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:35 am

air gordon wrote:
Sauru wrote:outside of the draft pick i dont really about what we gave away. i have been praying they would trade thomas instead of just letting him walk or worse yet paying him. yeah i liked crowder but i aint gonna cry about losing him either. only way i hate this deal is if we do not resign kyrie or if the brooklyn pick is a top 3 pick which is very possible.

question is who will have the bigger Homer post. Sauru or dee

The question was: Who will stereotype first? Looks like it was you.

The trade makes sense from a business perspective. I stated my thoughts in the Kyrie thread.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:21 am

IT is a more efficient scorer and has a longer proven track record as a main scorer. They are similarly bad on defense while Irving has the edge on age but also has injury issues himself

It's fair to say still they are similarly valued

Crowder is a rare multi positional defender who can hit 3s and the brooklyn pick speaks for itself

The cavs gm aced one on the great ainge. That's not stereotyping

But when someone said well we have the other pick or I won't miss crowder as if they grew on trees....
Jump.
air gordon

Postby benji on Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:51 am

https://twitter.com/Tom_NBA/status/900174983678308352
Danny Ainge: “We traded Avery Bradley.”

The masses: “WHO WILL GUARD KYRIE?”

Ainge: “Hold my non-alcoholic beverage."
benji

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:23 am

air gordon wrote:IT is a more efficient scorer and has a longer proven track record as a main scorer. They are similarly bad on defense while Irving has the edge on age but also has injury issues himself

It's fair to say still they are similarly valued

Crowder is a rare multi positional defender who can hit 3s and the brooklyn pick speaks for itself

The cavs gm aced one on the great ainge. That's not stereotyping

But when someone said well we have the other pick or I won't miss crowder as if they grew on trees....

You are also overvaluing Crowder. A guy that would frustrate us as much as he delighted us, because he would settle for threes/contested 3's so often. I don't see Crowder being anymore important to the Celtics this year as Jaylen Brown will be. Moving him makes sense in my eyes, and it gives more burn to Tatum. Brown has the ability to guard multiple positions as well.

Irving holds more value at this point in comparison to IT. 4 years younger, proven elite scorer, 5 inches taller, big moment experience. I loved IT, but Irving holds more value.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:30 am

Irving is an elite scorer? Based on?!

I'll agree browns development is key but more based on his draft position. Can he guard 4's and hit 3's consistently like Crowder? > 50% corner 3 btw. Crowder is flawed no doubt but the skillet remains valuable

This is a quick agree to disagree if you believe Irvings youth was worth the cost of adding Crowder and the Brooklyn pick
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:58 am

air gordon wrote:Irving is an elite scorer? Based on?!

I'll agree browns development is key but more based on his draft position. Can he guard 4's and hit 3's consistently like Crowder? > 50% corner 3 btw. Crowder is flawed no doubt but the skillet remains valuable

This is a quick agree to disagree if you believe Irvings youth was worth the cost of adding Crowder and the Brooklyn pick

I'm good with agreeing to disagree. Irving youth and upside was worth it, even though I miss IT.

And well, if we are basing anything on draft position, Thomas was the 6th overall pick in the 2011 draft....he average 28.9 last season.

Agree to disagree on Crowder and Irvings value.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:34 am

iriving is an elite scorer. explain

draft position... as in invested a high pick on brown versus buying low on IT who happened to be the last pick in a draft. capeesh?

i'm curious as to how many legit 2 way players there are in the league at crowder's position and share his versatility
KD
LB
PG
Giannis
Harry Barnes
Covington
James Johnson
Draymond Green
Butler
?
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:36 am

air gordon wrote:iriving is an elite scorer. explain

draft position... as in invested a high pick on brown versus buying low on IT who happened to be the last pick in a draft. capeesh?

i'm curious as to how many legit 2 way players there are in the league at crowder's position and share his versatility
KD
LB
PG
Giannis
Harry Barnes
Covington
James Johnson
Draymond Green
Butler
?

capeesh?

The conversation ends with that.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:41 am

that's ok. i shouldnt be surprised you played the butt hurt card (on capeesh? seriously lol) and dodge my post.
Regards
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:44 am

air gordon wrote:that's ok. i shouldnt be surprised you played the butt hurt card (on capeesh? seriously lol) and dodge my post.
Regards

Cheers.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:46 am

Supposedly the Celtics are looking at these 3 players for the final roster spot:

Andrew Bogut
Thomas Robinson
Tony Allen

Personally, it would be cool to see Tony Allen back in Celtics green. However, it makes the least sense for our roster. I think adding Bogut or Robinson makes more sense, but I lean towards Robinson. He was a beast on the boards in limited minutes with the Lakers, he could give us that spark we need, with the ability to log more minutes if needed than Bogut. I like his tenacity under and around the rim.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:10 am

Bogut's the more proven player, but he's also proven to be quite injury prone, so Robinson might be the safer bet in the long run. Allen's the best player of the bunch, but as you noted, he doesn't fill a need like an extra big would.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:17 am

Andrew wrote:Bogut's the more proven player, but he's also proven to be quite injury prone, so Robinson might be the safer bet in the long run. Allen's the best player of the bunch, but as you noted, he doesn't fill a need like an extra big would.

Exactly, I'm thinking passed this year. Robinson is only 26, and if he catches on (Celtics fan base would love his play style), he could be with us for awhile. Bogut worries me after that injury, and he's 32.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:32 am

i have to agree with you here. of the 3 i would take robinson followed by allen. not really interested in having bogut at all personally
Sauru

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:54 am

I love the idea of starting Jaylen Brown and Baynes. A bench of Rozier, Smart, Tatum and Marcus Morris would be very nice. I think Tatum can contribute right away (especially on the offensive end), defensively he can defend multiple positions.

I like the grit and hustle our bench will bring, with the guys I mentioned above and also Semi.

This is going to be a fun season.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:51 pm

While yes, losing Hayward hurts. But the season is still promising, and we can still contend.

I said before the season started that I think Jaylen Brown will win most improved player this year, he looks so polished now. He did last night what he was able to do in summer league, against one of the best teams in the league. He will have a lot of big games for us.

Tatum struggled a tad in the first half, but turned it on in the second half. His offensive game is so far ahead of many NBA players as it is, and he can defend multiple positions, he has a lot of length. He put up 14 in his first game ever in the NBA, again against one of the best teams. They announced that Fultz would be coming off the bench to start the season (Not sure if his shoulder has anything to do with it), but I think Ainge made the right move. Tatum will be a stud, and could have an amazing rookie year.

Baynes looked great in 19 minutes. He gives us toughness in the middle that we were sorely lacking last year, and he can hit from mid range. Big men can't play far off of him.

Irving showed what he could do, I think he is a leader. He will get us wins down the stretch in a lot of games.

I'm still really excited about this season, anybody who looks at our roster and thinks that this season is a wash now needs to rethink it. I am not saying that they will beat the Warriors, I am saying that we can absolutely compete with any team in the league on any night. And, if Hayward can be ready for the playoffs (I am hearing conflicting reports about his injury), that would be amazing.

How exciting is this Celtics team? I'm pumped for this season.

NOTE: I ended up watching the replay of the game, I had turned it off after the injury because it turned my stomach, but went back and watched it after.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:41 am

Dee4Three wrote:Irving showed what he could do, I think he is a leader. He will get us wins down the stretch in a lot of games.

the celts lost this game because Lue is a master of getting defensive sieves like Irving on mismatches. man that guy was picked on big time. lebron with a hero pass to love for the dagger.

good showing buy the celts youngsters
Jump.
air gordon

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball