Game of Thrones Thread (The Thread is Dark and Full of Spoilers)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Whose side are you on?

Cersei Lannister
No votes
Daenerys Targaryen
83%
White Walkers
17%

Total votes : 6

Re: Game of Thrones Thread (The Thread is Dark and Full of Spoilers)

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:08 pm

Suppose it fits the pattern of the penultimate episode of each season being one of the best and biggest. Glad to hear it's not a disappointment, but I'll still hold off.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby big-shot-ROB on Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:13 pm

Andrew wrote:Suppose it fits the pattern of the penultimate episode of each season being one of the best and biggest. Glad to hear it's not a disappointment, but I'll still hold off.

I'll definitely watch it again when HBO Spain drops it "officially".
big-shot-ROB
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Postby Lamrock on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:23 am

Yeah, so I caved and watched the new episode. Couldn't resist. I'll save my thoughts for when it's actually released, but I have to say, I was kind of disappointed.
Lamrock

Postby Sauru on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:56 pm

so it looks like the company that my buddy works at is the one who leaked the episode. he wont really talk about it at all but i know they have been having issues there in the past and this could spell the end for them. it sucks if it is as all the problems have been coming from 1 department of 12 people. if they lose the hbo contract ibm (who owns the company he works for) has already said they will just move all operations to one of their other companies. i almost got a job there 3 months ago and now its looking like i may have lucked out by not getting it

edit: just heard that multiple people were fired yesterday including 1 of my buddies that worked there. word is there will be a second wave of people being let go shortly. hbo coming with that ban hammer
Sauru

Postby Lean on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:18 pm

Ravens are faster than snail mail!
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:27 pm

Loved it. The penultimate episode always feels epic, and in my opinion, this was no exception. There have been better battles, but it was still enjoyably tense. I really thought Tormund was going to get killed off, they teased that extremely well. Between Dany and Benjen, I guess the Lord of Light really is looking out for Jon!

A resurrected dragon? Well, guess things aren't going to be all that easy for our Alliance of Ice and Fire. At least The Hound will be around to provide his blunt commentary. He had some of the most enjoyable lines in the episode, which is not unusual.

Sansa is still getting played; that's surely going to come to a head, one way or another. Ayra seems to be tipping her hand and falling for Littlefinger's game too, though. Feels like something big and shocking is going to happen with that in the season finale.

Next week, we have the parley. Can't wait.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:08 pm

its starting to look like we will not get the jon targaryen revelation this season or even the reunion with bran. was really looking forward to both of those things
Sauru

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:23 pm

Other than his lines, Hate Hound in this one.
Hound didn't help Thoros immediately, could have lessened the severity of his injury and would still be alive.
Threw that rock which showed the wights they can reach the group.
He did redeem himself by saving Tormund but overall still annoyed with Sandor.

Lean wrote:Ravens are faster than snail mail!

Imma go nerd on you...
It's assumed that each season is equivalent to 1 year in the show, so there's 1 year in between episode 1 of season 7 and episode 1 of season 8.
For simplicity we stick with 1 season (real world) = 1 yearG (in GOT world).
1 season is 10 episodes, 1 episode is 1 hour or 60 minutes, 1 minute is 60 seconds.
1 yearG (GOT time) is 360 daysG (fuck that 5, to be simple really), 1 dayG is 24 hoursG, 1 hourG is 60 minutesG.

Left, our time. Right, GOT time
1 season = 360 daysG
10 episodes = 360 daysG
1 episode = 36 daysG
1 hour = 36 daysG
60 minutes = 36 daysG
60 minutes = 864 hoursG
1 minute = 14.4 hoursG

Assume that only applies to travel time in GOT, while dialogue time is the same duration as our time.

So the ravens sent and Gendry were traveling for almost a day or more in GOT time, depending on how many minutes elapsed in the scene.

Fight me bro.
Just realized the ravens are indeed faster than snail mail since it took the ravens less than a month to deliver messages. Damn you Lean.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Lamrock on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:37 pm

I could see the Jon Targaryan epiphany being the last scene of the season. Right after Jon beds his aunt for the first time..

Didn't much care for this episode. They needed a plot device to give the army of the dead a better chance, and to set up a meeting at King's Landing, but the plan to kidnap a wight made no sense. I miss when the characters made decisions based on logic, and weren't all coated in plot armor. There's not a lot of tension when Jesus Chr- sorry, Jon Snow faces a near death experience. And while I liked all the characters that went on the mission, it takes away some of the episode's impact when only the most minor character ends up dying.

I did really enjoy the banter between the characters. And the action scenes were pretty cool as well.

The Arya/Sansa scenes were pretty bad. The whole Winterfell storyline has been trash this season. Regardless of who's playing who, all of the spying and deceit in this storyline are undermined by the elephant in the room: they literally have access to a person who can see everything that's ever happened. It seems like a ten minute conversation between Arya, Bran and Sansa would resolve all of their issues, and Littlefinger would be dead (if he's not already).

But despite my gripes, I can't wait for the season finale!
Lamrock

Postby Sauru on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:46 pm

it does seem like since the show passed the books the major characters are mostly immune to death. i feel like some major characters should have been killed off this season if it kept to the standards of previous seasons
Sauru

Postby Lamrock on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:52 pm

All of the unnamed extras dying was pretty funny. Felt like a Bethesda RPG
Lamrock

Postby Lean on Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:19 pm

shadowgrin wrote:Just realized the ravens are indeed faster than snail mail since it took the ravens less than a month to deliver messages. Damn you Lean.

:lol: Ravens are faster than snails, shadow. Unless the snail's name is Turbo! +1000 Oldtown Meister points for that computation, though.

Lamrock wrote:The Arya/Sansa scenes were pretty bad. The whole Winterfell storyline has been trash this season. Regardless of who's playing who, all of the spying and deceit in this storyline are undermined by the elephant in the room: they literally have access to a person who can see everything that's ever happened. It seems like a ten minute conversation between Arya, Bran and Sansa would resolve all of their issues, and Littlefinger would be dead (if he's not already).

Plus who would trust a person with that snickering, punchable face like Littlefinger's?
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:39 pm

Feel the same with the Winterfell plot. You don't even need Bran to sort it out since Arya is a walking lie detector killing machine. Any lie that Littlefinger says will be detected by Arya's BS meter, then killed and face taken. Same if Sansa lies, Arya would know it, I think the conflict between them is just Arya not wanting Sansa to get in her way since Arya wants some killing to do.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:23 pm

I think one of the issues they're trying to set up is that Bran's visions are still distorted, and coming in pieces and flashes, since becoming the Three-Eyed Raven. He seems overwhelmed and disconnected from reality and humanity. Overall, I believe the implication is that right now, he's not as useful as his powers would suggest.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:07 am

an OT side note. the company that leaked the episode is being shut down. several staff members being moved to the weather channel while the rest are being let go. let this be a lesson. dont mess with HBO
Sauru

Postby jenz on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:54 am

I am still trying to figure out the significance of Arya giving the dagger to Sansa. I hope we see an end to the Winterfell storyline in episode 7. It's my least favorite part of the show right now. I thought that with everything all the Stark kids have been through, they will be somewhat interesting atleast.
jenz
Too cool for a custom title.

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:43 am

I don't mind the Winterfell stuff too much, but it feels lacklustre compared to the other arcs. Arya giving Sansa the dagger is definitely puzzling. Is it supposed to signify some kind of trust? Perhaps some kind of warning, along the lines of "I don't need this, or for you to be unarmed, to take you down?" Maybe by giving away Bran's gift, she's rejecting her identity as Arya Stark? We're not really getting any answers so far.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:41 pm

jenz wrote:I am still trying to figure out the significance of Arya giving the dagger to Sansa.

when i saw this i took it to mean she is playing a game against little finger also. i fully expect her to pretend to be someone else while having a conversation with him at some point next episode
Sauru

Postby Lean on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:43 pm

So Arya can't have the face of the person she wants to pretend as unless that person is dead?
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:25 pm

Makes sense, since the process involves skinning their faces off.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:35 pm

There goes the death flag for Littlefinger's Winterfell informant!
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby jenz on Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:37 pm

I really hope we're guessing right here. I'd hate to think that Arya would fall prey to Littlefinger that easily.
jenz
Too cool for a custom title.

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:00 pm

Andrew wrote:Makes sense, since the process involves skinning their faces off.

But but there's a scene in season 5? where Arya poisoned someone only to reveal a facemask of the still alive Jaqn and even a facemask of Arya herself.

jenz wrote:I am still trying to figure out the significance of Arya giving the dagger to Sansa.

Could be Arya's way of telling Sansa that she can easily kill Sansa but she won't since they are still family.
I like to think Arya is offering Sansa the use of her 'services' if Sansa needs it, since Sansa needs to keep the northern lords in check with their loyalty for Jon, especially to check that annoying lord of the Vale.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:12 pm

Yeah, I remember that scene. It didn't make a whole lot of sense.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:06 am

HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic