Game of Thrones Thread (The Thread is Dark and Full of Spoilers)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Whose side are you on?

Cersei Lannister
No votes
Daenerys Targaryen
83%
White Walkers
17%

Total votes : 6

Re: Game of Thrones Thread (The Thread is Dark and Full of Spoilers)

Postby Sauru on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:32 pm

you know as far as this show goes cersi seems to generally get a pass when talking about just how evil someone is. i actually think (myself included) that people see many of the things she does as justified because someone did whatever to her. joffrey was a horrible monster but people understand why cersi would go bat shit crazy trying to torture anyone involved. out side of season 1 (even then really) almost all the shit she does has something that someone can relate to unlike the other horrible acts in the show. for me stannis remains the worst of the worst in my eyes.
Sauru

Postby jenz on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:30 pm

Yeah, no one really beats Stannis in my book. Pure evil, yet very gullible. We never really saw him die, though. How likely is he to come back?

I think Cersei gets a pass because she mostly keeps to herself, not really a showman unlike Ramsey and Euron.
jenz
Too cool for a custom title.

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:49 pm

Agreed, it's interesting how Cersei is handled. She is obviously evil, and I don't want to see her win, but there are moments where she's oddly sympathetic. And I think in some ways, you end up admiring, or at least respecting her cunning; especially when you've underestimated her because of the times she has had plans backfire. But when her plans have worked...man, how they've yielded results!

Brienne seemed to confirm that she killed Stannis off-screen, so for now I think it's safe to assume he's dead in the show's canon.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby jenz on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:20 pm

I read someone in my facebook feed saying episode 4 has been leaked. Beware of spoilers.
jenz

Postby Sauru on Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:16 pm

the entire season has been leaked. someone hacked hbo and got the details for the rest of the season.
Sauru

Postby jenz on Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:26 pm

No, this one's the actual episode, not just the script or any other detail.
jenz

Postby Sauru on Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:41 pm

oh i am not surprised about that at all. the episodes are given to their streaming outlets a week in advance. i am kind of surprised they are not leaked early more often
Sauru

Postby jwin on Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:56 am

best episode yet, dany looks to be the favorite to win this war, and i thought there was a hint of some attraction between her and jon,wonder if they'll hook up
jwin

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:58 am

So, seems Dany is becoming more and more like the Mad King, and her followers are well and truly brainwashed...well, maybe.

That was a great fakeout at the ending. Obviously, so many main characters have been killed off, so it looked like one more might be, but yeah, a great fakeout.

We seem to have a bit more of an explanation for Bran's characterisation, too. Seems to be one of those "That man is dead" scenarios, which doesn't necessarily make him a great character, but it gives more reason for his cold detachment and monotone. There's traces of Bran Stark left, but he doesn't feel anymore, he's not quite human anymore. I did enjoy him throwing Littlefinger's "Chaos is a ladder" line back at him, though. Littlefinger's expression was priceless.

Also, another Stark reunion, at last. Cool sparring session with Arya and Brienne, too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby jwin on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:12 pm

not to mention cersei is going to have a serious itch to scratch when news of the lost troops and joffrey's killer get back to her, but somehow i believe they'll all end up banding together to fight the army of the dead and then sort out who sits on the throne
jwin

Postby Sauru on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:45 pm

this is probably the best episode of the show yet. i will have to give it a few days and a second watching before i make it my final opinion as i hate jumping to such things right after a viewing but holy shit this episode was fucking amazing start to finish.

the show seems to be making it clear that sansa is getting jealous. everyone of the stark kids were driven from their home and some how they all (the living ones) came back with something unique, something that made them special yet here she is with nothing. she probably had the worst time of them all and came out of it with nothing special at all. i hope they dont play up the jealously angle to a point of her turning on her brothers/sister.

happy to see jon still not bending a knee and i imagine that will not change after this weeks episode. also it was nice to get a reunion i didnt even know i wanted though i wish he would have fucked him up a little bit.

the entire ending of the episode is what makes this so perfect. the reactions were spot on. the looks of "what the fuck is that" and all the "oh shit" moments were spot on. tyrion did so much with just facial expressions and a couple words. jaime not running away. just all of it, perfect

everything with arya was also great. loved watching the sparring match and having sansa realize that when arya said she had a list and most of the people on it were dead that she was the one who killed them. loved the looks from everyone saying "this girl does not need my protection" to little fingers "what the fuck am i going to do about this shit here"

easy 10/10 episode. probably my favorite ever
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:17 pm

I'll admit that this season is making me feel bad about getting behind Dany, but at the same time, I like that twist. I think the character has done a lot of good things out of genuine motivations to be a good ruler, but that "right to rule" mentality has always been there since she first tasted power; arguably, since her brother ended up wearing that golden crown. It does reinforce the whole "no clear good guys or bad guys" approach, though it does feel like she's jumping off the slippery slope, at least somewhat. Unfortunate, but compelling. Let's see if Tyrion and Varys can reign her in a bit.

I'd say you're on point about Sansa. The thing is, while she doesn't have badass fighting skills, or supernatural powers, she's gained wisdom and cunning when it comes to "playing the game". But as you alluded to, I could see her losing sight of that, and getting jealous. Hopefully, it's more a case of her having a moment of "Wow, everything has changed so much; we're together, but it's not going to be like it was, or how we thought it was". Sophie Turner has said that Sansa is less likeable this season though, so that doesn't bode well.

As soon as I saw the Greyjoy ship sailing in, it dawned on me that there'd be another reunion. Unfortunately for Theon, at this point, Jon Snow does know a thing or two.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:06 pm

i agree with you about sansa, she does have her skills but she she probably thinks no one else sees them. thats where little finger will come in i think and mess everything up. i think her skills are needed, i think its a combination of them all that is needed. you cant just kill everyone like arya, bran sees all but cant do shit about it really, jon has the heart and sansa the brain.
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:08 pm

That's a good way of putting it. It remains to be seen whether Sansa will understand that, and be cooperative.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:50 pm

As much as I hate Aidan Gillen creepy-watching-Sansa eyes, he should figure out that Jon will kill him if he ever put his hands on Sansa, Arya is now a very skilled assassin, and Bran is an all-seeing guy. He should leave Winterfell.

Also, why can't just Bran spill the beans already?

Marvelous episode. I thought it would be ruined for me because of the people on my Facebook feed basically admitting to downloading a leaked episode AND spoiling it online. Stay classy, Pinoys.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:38 pm

With Bran, I think the problem is that he's now become too disconnected from his own humanity, as well as the rest of humanity. If he doesn't deem it important or essential, by whatever logic and morality he's going by as the Three Eyed Raven, it's not worth doing. Note how he wasn't interested in the details of the attempts on his life at Winterfell, much less getting revenge.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:17 am

Lean, from reddit.

Bran can see the past, present, and future, or fragments at least. However, he hasn't really told anybody anything important that he's learned like Jon's parentage and, presumably everything Littlefinger did and tons of other stuff we don't know about.

I think he more or less knows how everything will end but can’t tell people because they’d try to change things which would be either futile or disastrous.

Instead everything he says and does, telling Littlefinger “chaos is a ladder” and giving Arya something that can kill White Walkers, is because he already knows the consequences of those actions and, right now, it's his best way of trying to subtly influence the future.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:51 am

Excellent episode. Top 5 certainly for me. People going overboard calling it the best episode ever, but recency certainly has tremendous bias. I held off and did not watch the leak, and also managed to avoid spoilers, so last night was a treat -- especially the culminating 10 minutes of the episode. A few musings...

Bran still sucks. Nobody has ever deserved to be cripple more than him. You can blah blah me all you want about his importance and the magnitude of his omniscient nature, but his character sucks and is written poorly. The larger a role he assumes in the show, the worse he is. He is arguably the biggest low light of any episode he appears in. As I previously mentioned, all this does is drive me nuts with what I'm sure is his ultimate importance to the show's climax.

I go absolutely bananas any time a character acquires a Valyrian steel weapon. My brain just triggers and I start running wild with how they will ultimately use said weapon to kill a white walker. So, after Arya's cool training sequence with Brienne, seeing her get the dagger was a quiet thrilling moment for me.

I can't imagine how some people believe Jamie is dead. He's obviously not dead. I do wonder what his future holds, though. Maybe he ends up pledging allegiance to Dany and going after Cersei, as many have speculated given the deterioration of Jamie and Cersei's relationship over the last season and a half. He continues to be one of my favorite characters on the show.

The giant crossbow wielded by Bronn (who, by the way, continues to be awesome), turned out to be very underwhelming; especially after its initial reveal going through the dragon skull. I wonder if we'll see an army with dozens of them (part of me thinks we'll ultimately see one of Dany's dragons fall to a head shot from one possibly -- I think I'll be sadder if one of the dragons dies than any other character past, present, or future).
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby jwin on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:34 am

missed this in the episode, but interesting:

LAST BUT NOT LEAST, CERSEI MENTIONED THE GOLDEN COMPANY — A MERCENARY GROUP THAT'S BEEN REFERENCED IN PASSING BEFORE.
Cersei told Tycho Nestoris, the Iron Bank emissary, that Qyburn has made overtures to the Golden Company. This is a group of 10,000 sellsword mercenaries, not unlike the Second Sons led by Daario Naharis that Daenerys enlisted in Essos.
They've been mentioned on the show before - once by Davos and Stannis and another time when it was revealed that Jorah spent time with the Golden Company before meeting Daenerys and Viserys.
In the books, the Golden Company is rumored to be the most fierce and expensive sellsword company in the Free Cities. If Cersei really does get them on her payroll, that will be a big boost to the now depleted Lannister forces.
jwin

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:39 am

Cersei's scenes kind of did get overshadowed, but that's definitely an important point. She's not just sitting around.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:32 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I can't imagine how some people believe Jamie is dead. He's obviously not dead. I do wonder what his future holds, though. Maybe he ends up pledging allegiance to Dany and going after Cersei, as many have speculated given the deterioration of Jamie and Cersei's relationship over the last season and a half. He continues to be one of my favorite characters on the show.

I'm seeing Tyrion convincing Jamie and Bronn join them.

Bran can see the past, present, and future, or fragments at least. However, he hasn't really told anybody anything important that he's learned like Jon's parentage and, presumably everything Littlefinger did and tons of other stuff we don't know about.

I think he more or less knows how everything will end but can’t tell people because they’d try to change things which would be either futile or disastrous.

Instead everything he says and does, telling Littlefinger “chaos is a ladder” and giving Arya something that can kill White Walkers, is because he already knows the consequences of those actions and, right now, it's his best way of trying to subtly influence the future.

I mean, he could bring Littlefinger to justice. But I guess he's no longer Bran now.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:57 pm

Andrew wrote:how he wasn't interested in the details of the attempts on his life at Winterfell, much less getting revenge

Considering he can see everything anywhere anytime with all its possible outcomes, he probably had already seen what led to his assassination attempt it's only natural that he's not interested to rehash the details. Likely he also knows the role that Littlefinger has to play in the future and the way the man would die so revenge isn't that much of a big deal at this point.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:56 pm

That too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:33 am

bigh0rt wrote:Excellent episode. Top 5 certainly for me. People going overboard calling it the best episode ever, but recency certainly has tremendous bias.

for me it has to do with the entire episode being good. the other big episodes in the past had slow or boring scenes prior to the cool stuff happening. this may not be the best battle they have had but i think its the best episode overall. there is also the 6 year release which is exactly what this episode was.
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:46 am

Aside from a scene here or there, I feel that's basically how Season 7 has been. There's not a lot of stuff that's dragged or felt out of place, give or take a couple of scenes, and they haven't bothered me too much. I've felt bothered by characters, but for the most part, I think it's been the intended reaction, or at least one feasible reaction based on one interpretation/personal bias.

I've really enjoyed it so far, and now it's already half over. :(
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic