Player Overall Formula

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

Player Overall Formula

Postby ElectricCityTV on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:39 am

Im trying to make a fictional roster. When I have free time, but not able to use my console I wanted to be able to create ratings for players and save them in excel. The thing is I have certain overall constraints that I want to keep so I was hoping someone here has done all the math and knows a formula that can give me a player's overall.
ElectricCityTV

Re: Player Overall Formula

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:16 am

I don't believe it's ever been worked out.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:37 pm

I used PER to determine OVRs. League-wide. There were a lot of categories edits before though, that's just the tip of the iceberg.
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:27 pm

I believe the question here is the exact formula the game uses to generate the overall ratings. As I said, I don't think anyone's worked it out as yet.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby big-shot-ROB on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:51 pm

I heard the algorithm was really complex and intangibles ratings were the ones that really affected it.
big-shot-ROB
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:39 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:I heard the algorithm was really complex and intangibles ratings were the ones that really affected it.

Yeah, given the fact that this blank intangibles rating that does nothing (as stated by a lot of users) can get an OVR from A ( Intangibles set to 25) to A + 8 (Intangibles set to 99), this category is usually tackled by the 2K team IMO to make player looks better or worse in comparison to their teammates or other league players.
I know how ratings work now for most of the time, those intangibles ratings were everything with every roster update. Players usually got tweaked for a handfull of categories by a maximum of 10 clicks. That's sometimes not enough to increase/decrease an OVR by one single point. 10 clicks for the Intangibles category are worth like 30-40 clicks of any category, if not more, when it comes to OVRs.
For example. 2K had to give Russel Westbrook a great OVR increase somehow when he was averaging a triple double to avoid those "HOW IS XYZ BETTER THAN WESTBROOK 2K IS BULLSHIT" comments so they raised his Intangibles rating by a ton. The formula is known only by the devs but some tricks have been discovered by the category. If you want to see what's behind those ratings that are meant to display real life fatigue and to please the community, just grab a roster and give all the players the same Intangibles ratings. Only then you'll see who's actually better numbers-wise.
I Hate Mondays

Return to NBA 2K17