"Melo will 100% be a Rocket"

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

"Melo will 100% be a Rocket"

Postby Kevin on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:13 pm

Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Re: "Melo will 100% be a Rocket"

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:13 pm

Perhaps a three-team trade that also involves Kyrie?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:21 pm

Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:45 pm

Quote the article or relevant info instead of just posting the source link you dick.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby NovU on Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 am

What do stat lovers like benji and grin think about this Morey trying to land Melo deal? Makes me wonder because Melo is prototypical not so money ball player. This goes against Morey's building philosophy. What do you think is he seeing in Melo that some of us dont?
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby [Q] on Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:28 am

I think at the very least he could be the Joe Johnson of the dantoni system. I think playing with other great players will help him too like how he played on the Olympic teams
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:21 am

[Q] wrote:I think at the very least he could be the Joe Johnson of the dantoni system. I think playing with other great players will help him too like how he played on the Olympic teams

Agreed. It's not like he doesn't have talent.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby PeacemanNOT on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:46 am

So I live in Ireland and I don't know what time zone these guys are talking about. Has it past 5:45 or no?

EDIT:
Nevermind it's literally that time as I posted this lol

EDIT 2 :
So it didn't happen lol

Maybe Burt Steele was talking about PST?
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby Stress Fracture on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:59 am

Just do the damn trade already!
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby benji on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:05 pm

NovU wrote:What do stat lovers like benji and grin think about this Morey trying to land Melo deal? Makes me wonder because Melo is prototypical not so money ball player. This goes against Morey's building philosophy. What do you think is he seeing in Melo that some of us dont?

2012-14 Melo, also Team USA Melo, look at the position he was effectively playing in the lineups. Look at how much better he played.

Melo complained about it when the Knicks started losing, and then after they got Kristaps they had to move him back outside. But that's never been Melo's best area. He even played the four in college when he dominated.

It's hard to believe he'll complain as much about it and touches when he's playing with Paul, and also Harden. He thrived with and conceded to Billups/Nene because they used different spots that complimented each other.

I mean, that's the basics of the argument. Morey's building philosophy has always been to acquire superstars, where he differed was that he was willing to horde pieces to make deals (which was also part of The Process) by plucking guys like Jordan Hill and others off teams who gave up on them too quickly. Also amassing second round picks. Dwight arguably fit his philosophy less than anything but Morey took the chance because if it worked and Dwight got his mojo back, he could easily surround Dwight with shooters like in Orlando but the team would also have the playmaker Orlando never did in Harden.

"Moneyball" isn't a philosophy that's unchanging, what it is is a philosophy that's about finding inefficiencies in the market. Or in the game, like with everyone's fear/dismissal of using the three point line. The Spurs minutes management and focusing on character and acquiring multinational players is a form of moneyball, it's just not statistics driven. Really, the original Moneyball that Billy Beane used wasn't either, it was informed by data, but when everyone else in MLB caught onto this or that, he'd flip and go against the safety of the data. The grand example from the book being the high school pitcher, which went from overvalued to undervalued after the book, the stats still say it's a bad pick but in baseball where there's a farm system and the draft dynamics are so different from the NBA, it's one that's actually low risk as long as you aren't betting solely on it. The A's, like Morey, also were willing to drop big money on FAs, what they weren't willing to do was match other teams dropping bigger money on their players that were more replaceable statistically.

It's a continuum, not binary. Melo in one system is not a "moneyball" player, but on a capped/taxed out team, with two existing superstars, he's potentially undervalued, especially if the Knicks are willing to take little in exchange just to dump him. It gives Houston what Golden State has to great effect with Draymond's capabilities, the ability to rarely go without two playmakers on the floor at all times. Since their target is Golden State, they're also saying, Melo potentially works as our counter to two Warriors in Thompson/Draymond since the Warriors can only get a useful possession out of only one at a time on both ends. (Due to the physical limits of non-Space Jam basketball.)
benji

Postby NovU on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:52 pm

Good points.

And he's been a shitty player for 3 seasons now but worth risking as the Rockets probably wouldn't have to pay hefty fee to acquire him due to Melo holding the actual card where to go.

Morey does seem to be a good GM. But to be mentioned is that Harden was his golden goose boy that's keep giving out golden eggs(CP3, possibly Melo).

Rockets, Thunder seem to be the winners of offseason in West while Spurs and Clips are the losers. Looking at East, I find it laughable yet again. Really they lost more talent than they acquired. Even Lonzo's a Lakers and Celtics traded down to draft a bust. Also the fun thing to note: Fultz is the worst player drafted at #1 if go by team record.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Return to NBA & Basketball